• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's DLSS 2 vs. AMD's FSR 2: The Ultimate Analysis

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
87-DE00-B1-CAE6-4664-8145-CC6-EF2059885.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DLSS is one of a few things that I still give Nvidia full credit for despite some of their overpriced low and mid tier. It's one thing to be sleeping on your hands like Intel did when AMD finally got its act together and personally I was glad to see that the competition was finally fierce. I have been AMD since and have been strictly on their side versus Intel which I was recommending for over a decade.

Nvidia still has that type of equity for me on the top end because of features like this and while there's only so much you can continue to do to innovate on what's already established, they are doing little things like this to really continue to add value and not fall asleep like Intel did.

LiquidMetal14

What a shock, DLSS actually is better than FSR.

Wait, the only people shocked are AMD fanboys. Nvidia owners have known this for years.

You guys want a laugh, go to r/AMD and watch them try to rationalize it. It's a pretty entertaining thread there right now.
I posted there and like the subreddit and have no skin in the game. I'm on AMD CPU and pretty much loyal for now and on Nvidia GPU. I go where the performance makes sense for me. Before that I was Intel from 2500k-9900k.

I agree that it makes for entertaining reading seeing basically enthusiastic fans defend at all costs.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

AMD have minimal R&D investment in their GPUs, they have constant inflow of cash from console APUs(that they are under no obligation to inprove via AI), they can't and won't compete with NVidia AI.

Maybe in the next console gen they might invest in GPU R&D just to be relevant.

I would never invest in an AMD GPU because their tech and R&D is pathetic.

Much as I hate it with overpriced NVidia GPUs at least they are advancing tech.

Last edited:
I posted there and like the subreddit and have no skin in the game. I'm on AMD CPU and pretty much loyal for now and on Nvidia GPU. I go where the performance makes sense for me. Before that I was Intel from 2500k-9900k.

I agree that it makes for entertaining reading seeing basically enthusiastic fans defend at all costs.
I have a 5800X3D and previously a 3900X. I'm a fan of superior technology, and right now AMD offers superior CPU technology.

Nvidia has not offered objectively inferior GPU technology since the days of the FX5000 series, which is well over 15 years now.

What's interesting about this comparison is that these tests leave RT off to keep the results fair for AMD which is terrible at RT compared to Nvidia.

The biggest use of DLSS today is to make RT performance bearable in recent games. For example, while I can casually run Hogwarts Legacy in 4K with all settings Maxed with RT off on my 3090, in order to get a similar performance with RT enabled and Ultra, I have to use DLSS Balanced. So when upscaling is most useful, to help RT performance, AMD owners are really double losing out. Not only is AMD's RT performance much worse than Nvidia's, their upscaler option is also much worse.

YCoCg

But is FSR2 better than nothing? I think that's the choice gamers have, yes DLSS is preferred but if a game at least has FSR2 then it's a good thing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have a 5800X3D and previously a 3900X. I'm a fan of superior technology, and right now AMD offers superior CPU technology.

Nvidia has not offered objectively inferior GPU technology since the days of the FX5000 series, which is well over 15 years now.
Superior VRAM at a lot of price points though, which was been a looming issue for a while now.

LiquidMetal14

I agree on the CPU for sure. GPU, I haven't been there since the 6970.

AGRacing

This won't age well.
Nintendo going to produce a tablet that outperforms the PS5 and X|S in image quality, due to DLSS.
DLSS is only a couple fanatics away from becoming a full blown cult.

At what kind of framerate or graphics settings will this superior image quality come out of a tablet ? Are we talking about same game comparisons here ? There won't be sacrifices in other graphics settings that affect image quality?

I hope Nintendo realizes how high the bar is being set for this next tablet.

light2x

I don’t think anyone has argued that FSR 2 offers superior PQ to DLSS.

The appeal is that it doesn’t require any specific hardware and it’s platform agnostic, all while coming reasonably close to DLSS in many use cases.
Yep. If that's the point of the video then it's a very dumb video.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Why FSR 2.0? I thought 2.1 was way better despite being just numbered 0.1 above, and 2.2 is even better with less ghosting.

Nobody doubts that dlss is better though, but most comments I've seen is both at quality are basically equally good, the difference being in any seeing below those

lyan

What's interesting about this comparison is that these tests leave RT off to keep the results fair for AMD which is terrible at RT compared to Nvidia.

The biggest use of DLSS today is to make RT performance bearable in recent games. For example, while I can casually run Hogwarts Legacy in 4K with all settings Maxed with RT off on my 3090, in order to get a similar performance with RT enabled and Ultra, I have to use DLSS Balanced. So when upscaling is most useful, to help RT performance, AMD owners are really double losing out. Not only is AMD's RT performance much worse than Nvidia's, their upscaler option is also much worse.
Will always take native + RT off over RT + DLSS.

Bojji

But is FSR2 better than nothing? I think that's the choice gamers have, yes DLSS is preferred but if a game at least has FSR2 then it's a good thing.

FSR is absolutely good enough, much better than upscaling from the same base resolution (1440p -> 4k for example). So it's good that it becomes much more popular and this option appears in many new games. DLSS is better but it's not without flaws and we will certainly see more games with FSR than DLSS (both in most probably).

Banned
marquimvfs marquimvfs manfestival manfestival

you should use DLSS in many many games over TAA:

DLSS [Quality] Stationary
dlssstillefd8h.png

TAA Stationary
taastillj7iso.png

DLSS [Quality] Strafing Right
dlssmovementh2dwu.png

TAA Strafing Right
taamovementfgcqa.png

and as a bonus:
DLSS [Performance] Strafing Right
contentscreenshot2022ayelg.png

less breakup in motion, sharper while stationary, less visible flicker during gameplay (hard to capture in images), less disocclusion artifacting than native in Doom Eternal.
similar results in Death Stranding when I played it at 4K on my TV. DLSS quality looked leagues ahead in terms of stability compared to native+TAA.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

This isn't exactly news. FSR 2.2 works well enough for me.
Sure convince your self that because you do not have the option to have DLSS.

no one in his right mind will pick FSR over DLSS unless he can't because he has an AMD card or an Old Nvidia card from 5 years ago and refuses to upgrade.

DLSS in some cases is even better than native, especially when native use TAA.

Skifi28

Was anybody saying otherwise? I still think FSR2 is "good enough" and it's quite impressive how they did that with an open solution without AI/ hardware acceleration.

PeteBull

3080ti owner, love it among other things not only coz of performance it offers, but when it lacking, which it sometimes already does, i put on dlss on quality, and in 4k i see barely any difference in image quality but big chunk of additional fps.

To me, 4k monitor owner, dlss is much more important vs rt features, simply coz at that resolution many games are already so demanding i usually turn rt off, dlss tho- thats true lifesaver and it makes me wait patiently for next gen family of cards, both from amd and nvidia, and make concious informed decision then what to upgrade it for, w/o being forced to do it this gen(altho not gonna lie, that 4090 looked very tasty, my buddy talked me out of upgrading only to upgrade himself, from his 10gigs 3080 lol ;p).

Last edited:

Soltype

I hope dlss sticks around, people always hate on Nvidia for making proprietary solutions, but none of the competitors offer anything as good.

This won't age well.
Nintendo going to produce a tablet that outperforms the PS5 and X|S in image quality, due to DLSS.
Ah yes, Nintendo - the pioneers who always bring such technical innovations to their hardware and never disappoint fans having reasonable expectations. Nintendo, who always prioritizes image quality and resolution will surely bother with DLSS in order to satisfy the dozens of fans who actually care too, in order to finally be able to sell some consoles!

Crayon

I'm interested is seeing the ue5 scaler in a game. Xess looks good, too. These solutions are great even if dlls is the best one. Best thing to happen to graphics in awhile. I'd have to buy spend significantly more to get these resolutions otherwise.

Lone Wolf

Why FSR 2.0? I thought 2.1 was way better despite being just numbered 0.1 above, and 2.2 is even better with less ghosting.

Nobody doubts that dlss is better though, but most comments I've seen is both at quality are basically equally good, the difference being in any seeing below those
Obviously you didn’t watch the video.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Not pure native without a form of temporal AA.
Sure, but virtually no games shipped with pure native (as the intended setting) for 15 years now.
Anyway TAA space (DLSS included) has solved the problem of AA costs and temporal stability - but we've also nuked temporal resolution in the process (and stacked a ton of other things into rendering pipelines that's laggy/ghosty on top). It's all reasonably well hidden on modern displays that are awful in motion anyway, but it's really been two steps forward one step backwards type of thing.
And the prevalence of ghosting has only been getting worse lately, with rise of RT methods that run denoisers and GI resolve over many frames, just to name a few of the more glaring issues.

I'm interested is seeing the ue5 scaler in a game.
Going by the demos, I'm less enthused about that one.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The ultimate analysis is the one I agree with 🤡

You needed something to do in the long, long, loooooooong wait for Intel to release a limited edition numbered CPU nobody will buy you can call the best with your warped unrealistic impractical criteria though, funny how there's no so very objective thread making while it's AMD on top 🤡

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
DLSS is no doubt the better of the two, but during gameplay I’m not noticing the small differences with FSR.

Not a landslide either as DLSS suffers from ghosting, and has worse sharpening.

Image stability is FSR’s biggest weakness.

Bottom line is I love these features, but I’m not basing my GPU purchase off DLSS or FSR.

Top Bottom