• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo's gonna use this during their E3 press conference this year.

'people were so hyped up over NX, they thought to hunt down trees to find info on it'

Lol naw.

They won't have a press conference, they'll only have a Nintendo Direct.
They'll call it Wii X, but won't show the console at all.
It'll launch with Zelda U ported over. And some mini-game collection.
It'll be slightly less powerful than Xbox One. And it'll cost about as much too.

Then they'll blame the public for not understanding the product.

Nintendo will stick with "ii" in some way, since Amiibo, Miiverse, Miitomo, and Miis in general exist.

I personally don't believe there will be a continuation of the "Wii" line though. Basically, Mii's were birthed from the Wii era, and they have a future, but the brand they came from does not.

Nintendo Xii

Unison

Having to buy Kinect on Xbox One seems worse than anything this controller could lead to to me...

I'm going to buy it, as there will be exclusive Nintendo games on it.

I am assuming at this point there's some sort of button cradle for it.

Wait I got it.

Sweden is 9 days ahead of us right?

Today + 9 days = April 1st

Its April Fools Day in Sweden.

They posted the joke too early.

We can breathe easy now, folks.

MrBigBoy

Set the picture on another server:

dongle.png

It was one of the rumors
Micro-SD card.

So is it real or not? I notice this time it's not even turned on.

Everyone who could tell us is under NDA that they can't even say if a fake is a fake.

The only person who has 'confirmed' it being a fake used the "I have a friend who works at Nintendo", and has been known to give bad/false information.

Idk about all that. They are definitely very capable hardware engineers and one of the most meticulous game developers.

You might be right about the specific thing but odds are they are 100% more competent at the business, gaming, and tech aspects of the game industry than most of us armchair analysts. Like you think Nintendo doesn't get it, but really they probably get it more than any of us. Doesn't make them infallible or not make mistakes, but they (and their team of graduates who specialize in their fields lmao) definitely understand the market better than you or I. It's just not that easy. And it's a risky business, triple so when you are constantly trying to carve your own niche

When it comes to game development, I have a ton of faith in Nintendo. I wish they would try to evolve what they produce and not stay so reliant on what they've always done, but Nintendo has some of the best game developers in the world.

That being said, when it comes to hardware, especially when viewed from the perspective of the home console market, Nintendo has a poor track record. Other than the Wii, every home console has sold worse than the previous entry. The N64 struggled in part because of cartridges instead of adopting CD's. GameCube failed in part because of mini-DVD versus regular DVD. The Wii U was underpowered and had a cheap tablet/controller hybrid.

I wouldn't attribute all of Nintendo's problems in the home market to hardware decisions, but it has been a significant issue and regardless of the reasons Nintendo has been struggling in the home console market for a while now.

That's why I reject the notion that Nintendo wouldn't make a mistake like this because they would find a way to make it work. In fact, the reason I thought this design was fake ever since the first thread was in part because I don't think Nintendo would eschew physical buttons because they have always prioritized gameplay and thus input over basically everything else.

-Horizon-

I can honestly see them trying to stick with the "ii" brand of the Wii. Because they kind of put themselves in a corner with Miiverse, Miis, amiibos already and I'm sure they want to bring all of those into the next console.

Josh5890

We still have a couple hours until most of Japan wakes up. Gotta wonder what they are going to be thinking when they see all of this?

nillapuddin

but nintendo is not winning like usual... the only spike in sales they've had in a while on the console front was with the wiiU. Its clearly been on the decline on the other ones. Their only strong market has been the portable with the GBA, DS and hopefully the 3DS stands.

iseusDB.png

Courtesy of my data man ZhugeEX.

more reason to sell. looks like Wii is the outlier

Disney should start shipping that money out then

Im tellin ya though, they should partner with Apple.

get their games on iphones and appleTV

I despise Apple, but it makes a ton of sense

nkarafo

-more or less buttons depending on which game you play (no buttons that do the same thing)
-buttons as part of the game UI
-customize button interface (ie. instead of saying press "X" to bring out menu, now the button can be labeled "menu" or whatever icon dev assigns it to)
-customize button placement
seems useful to me
So it's more stuff covering the screen.

Useful? Maybe. Annoying? Hell yes.

Logash

You know what, fuck it. I am buying w.e NX is regardless of what it is. If this is true fine, I just miss Nintendo. I traded in my Wii U way back in it's first year and have not been on the Nintendo train for most of the Wii U life cycle. I missed some good games. Not trying to do that this time around. PS and Nintendo combination FTW. Starting with this monstrosity

MoonFrog

Let's say this is real for a second, and it's a controller for the home console.

Are you expected to just memorize where the virtual buttons are, or do you only play the console on the controller?

Presumably they can move between games, so it's not always the same spot.

I guess you could try to hold your controller below the TV you're looking at so you can see both at once until you learn it?

My worry exactly. Had same worries about gamepad but it ended up not being used this way. Don't see how this could avoid being used this way. I wouldn't mind this direction if there were a couple of face buttons...

reson8or

more reason to sell. looks like Wii is the outlier

Disney should start shipping that money out then

Im tellin ya though, they should partner with Apple.

get their games on iphones and appleTV

I despise Apple, but it makes a ton of sense

Cool, I despise Nintendo, so we even each other out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom