• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treehouse localizes almost every single Nintendo developed game in the Americas. By definition, they have closer access than most people in America does, and unless Nintendo isn't developing any launch software, they likely are at least familiar with the NX.

dunno what it means that he retweeted it but shit this ride is crazy
Not to mention they're also in charge of marketing

Ydelnae

Why would you want to stick nipples in your eyeballs?

u17GiLF.jpg

?

Feichaw

Treehouse guy's tweet is a wash and doesn't prove it one way or another

True he'd be fired for sharing leaked info, but he'd be equally fired for sharing speculative leaked info. The party line is to provide no comment and hope it goes away (for real and fake rumors)

It's likely that he just has no clue one way or another

Maybe he was the one who leaked everything. Tree...Treehouse...

Doctre81

I am pretty sure this thing goes inside other casings for different gameplay possibilities. We are pretty much seeing the wiiumote without the nunchuck.

I still dont understand the point of the controller. Is it suposed to be an evolution of the WiiU? Why is there a screen on the sides of where your hand will be blockign view.

It really doenst make sense to me.

That video actually made me a believer but I will wait until we know more before passing judgement.

MK_768

Is It me or is this "leaker" leaking shit in hour increments. The pace of it is so strange. If you are gonna leak it...then releasing stuff every hour makes no sense. It's a scream for attention really.

I'm curious if something another picture or whatever pops up on reddit within the hour.

KingBroly

Banned
Nintendo's gonna use this during their E3 press conference this year.

'people were so hyped up over NX, they thought to hunt down trees to find info on it'

I am going to laugh if Nintendo has an April 1st direct with "you saw the prototype, now see the real thing" and then it will amaze everyone. It would be genius.

Aswitch

I'm totally ok with this as long they offer a more reliable solution. Similar to the Wii U where you can use a pro controller instead of using the Wii U pad on most games. Anything being strictly based on solely touch just screams inconsistency to me. As long as this rumored controller isn't a proprietary one (which is most likely), I'm fine with it so far.

Treehouse guy's tweet is a wash and doesn't prove it one way or another

True he'd be fired for sharing leaked info, but he'd be equally fired for sharing speculative leaked info. The party line is to provide no comment and hope it goes away (for real and fake rumors)

It's likely that he just has no clue one way or another
He might be fired for speculative info, but it's less of a sure bet, and also far less likely to put him on an industry wide blacklist

L Thammy

From nipples? Who the hell taught you sex ed?

Everything I learned about the human body I learned from hentai.

Entertaining the possibility that this is fake, is there any way that we can tell that this picture and the previous one aren't posted by the same person / people under different names / accounts?

Davey Cakes

Nintendo will stick with "ii" in some way, since Amiibo, Miiverse, Miitomo, and Miis in general exist.

I personally don't believe there will be a continuation of the "Wii" line though. Basically, Mii's were birthed from the Wii era, and they have a future, but the brand they came from does not.

This thread moved really quickly and the newest information about the authenticity/inauthenticity of the leak came in as I was writing my post. I had my doubts to begin with, especially when it was pointed out that the sticks on the controller look conspicuously 3D printed, but the NOA employee's appearance seems to seal the deal. (As for Liam Robertson, a person who exists to take apparently credible sources and misread them through the filter of a forum fanboy's understanding of the industry, he seems more inclined to be right when he says that something isn't the case than when he makes a wild guess that it is.)

Supposing the controller we've seen is at least a reasonable mock-up/guess of what we'll ultimately get, there is a lot worth talking about regardless. Here's how I've been digesting it:

- I will be pleased to see the screen return, although something of this size will be too small to fully replicate the killer feature of the Wii U, off-TV play. Miiverse, Mario Maker, and second-screen maps/inventory in the style of Wii U Zelda are here to stay.

- I hope it has a gyro. This is Nintendo, and dropping motion sensing entirely would be a huge step backwards considering how standard it has become as an aiming option in the Wii/3DS/Wii U. I really expect it to be there.

- If the standard controller has no buttons, I think Nintendo is certain to support a traditional option, up to and including compatibility with existing Wii and Wii U Pro Controllers. That said, having to buy something extra will be enough to put off a significant segment of the market and will deter games from being designed with a traditional control scheme in mind.

The nice thing about the Wii U GamePad was that you never actually needed to use a Pro Controller unless the dimensions and battery life of the GamePad were deal-breakers; I'm a fairly serious player and the GamePad sufficed for everything. On the Wii, while you needed a Pro Controller for controlling SSB or Xenoblade to be practical, it was only ever a hard requirement for N64 VC. Virtually requiring everyone in the traditional Nintendo base to buy a second controller would be a bad move.

- We should be thinking about what the analogue to the Wii Nunchuk may be. If this is a good approximation of the real thing, it's small enough that I could imagine it fitting a clip-on shell that adds either (a) physical buttons and/or a D-pad on the shell itself, or (b) a physical overlay on the screen where the buttons act in the same way as a capacitive stylus, although I worry that would be a bit squishy. (We're expecting a capacitive glass screen like the one in the image, yes? Resistive screens like those on the DS line have great precision, but are no longer intuitive to a whole generation of people raised on the responsiveness of iPhone-like screens.)

That's assuming that people dissatisfied with the tactility of on-screen haptic buttons will be provided an option at all. Yes, Nintendo gives even less of a damn about third parties than I do, but I have trouble believing that they would undermine their own first-party library and fail to provide a device that supports their more precision-demanding IPs. Alternatively, 2D Mario may be taking a break for a good long while (although the release of Super Mario Maker seemed to herald this anyway) and we are definitely not getting Bayonetta 3. Scroll-wheel shoulders + physical sticks + virtual buttons are just fine for Splatoon, Zelda, and Mario Kart if you adapt them properly, though, and even Metroid could work.

Something to keep in mind about Nintendo's own first-party output is that even on the Wii U, it has moved dramatically towards reducing the use of face buttons (usually to maintain Wiimote support). Their platformer library—SM3DW, NSMBU, DKCTF, and so on all have configurable two-button schemes, while even Mario Kart has moved functionality to the shoulder buttons. Pikmin 3 and Mario Maker's editor both implemented "shoulder + touch screen" schemes. And it's not hard to see how a button-heavy game like Xenoblade X uses a scheme that could benefit from reconfigurable, context-dependent on-screen controls. Mainly, the games that get screwed are the fast and frantic ones that pack in a whole lot of button functionality, like SSB and Bayonetta.

Also, if the basic controller is somehow reconfigurable/extensible, it remains for us to ask what the advantage of such a minimal design would be. Maybe it's just mobile-with-sticks—lightweight, easy to carry in your pocket, good enough for web browsing and shovelware mobile ports, possibly even functioning as a literal phone if an even more expensive option exists (like an iPhone to the standard controller's iPod)—but aside from the innate mass appeal of simplicity, an advantage the Wiimote shared, it's hard to see why you wouldn't have buttons in the standard layout at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom