• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] AC: Valhalla - XsX vs PS5 - The first REAL head to head battle.

Mister Wolf

Upscaling techniques are so good these days, that DF and NX have both admitted that pixel counting is difficult. Getting a count for a single frame is hard enough. Expecting an average is kinda ridiculous.

He provided an average in the Odyssey video I posted and I bet the "upscaling" in Valhalla is no different than what was employed in Odyssey. If the tech/gaming channel isn't willing to take the time to do it then that's on them. Some people give more effort than others. That's life.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Phil has not got a clue what he is talking about, he just talks, and talks, and talks....and..........................................yawn
Phil is a fun case.

If he had any ideia of what to do in his division he should never let the Halo Infinite gameplay go online and just announce the delay.

He indeed is good to talk what you want to hear... his interviews chances in instances whatever the public aimed.

Last edited:
What the...what is it supposed to mean? There are 2 multiplat with parity performance not just one, that's it.

Correct, but I was talking about gang jumping on other people on GAF, which only happens in this thread. Presumably because in the DMC5SE thread, the Xbox version had the (slim) advantage.

I've said all along there will be parity between the systems, that's not surprising for me nor should it be for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... The PS5 pulling slightly ahead in this comparison really surprises me, especially when Xbox marketing was all about having the most powerful system.
What could be the cause?
Tearing is also on One X. Its the lack of V Sync and poor optimisation for SX by Ubisoft. SX version is straight One X port with unlocked frame rate and all. Its not made for SX or PS5 from ground up. Ubisoft just enhanced last gen versions.

MS doesn't have any showcase launch games and multiplatform games doing poor job showcasing hardware capabilities.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nobody jumped on those guys in the DMC5SE thread.

But something DF failed to mention is that PS5 was using V-Sync in all the modes that XSX had minor advantage/tie, even high framerate mode while XSX was throwing that on the TV (VRR). When PS5 gets the VRR update expect some more interesting results, and why the XSX didn't have tearing there? Because there were using LG CX (VRR compatible).

geordiemp

Why NX gamer not tested PS5 version properly? How about go in crowded densely populated areas like Jorvik and all to count resolution drops on PS5?

Game being open world and dynamic. It drops resolution in different areas. He needs to play same areas on both consoles and then test it

He said he will do a second video later in the game, but we altready have one and Ps5 is more powerful again so

Nobody is disputing that the game will play fine on either system and everyone will be happy - one side said games would be the same as speed and cache makes up for TF, SOME were saying huge power differences for 6 months now. One of them was Microsoft, thats the issue.

RhQl4kq.png
Nothing wrong in that statement. SX is more powerful console specs wise but its upto the developers to properly utilize and showcase that power. Hardware team did their job well.

ethomaz

Banned
Why NX gamer not tested PS5 version properly? How about go in crowded densely populated areas like Jorvik and all to count resolution drops on PS5?

Game being open world and dynamic. It drops resolution in different areas. He needs to play same areas on both consoles and then test it
He explained (quote me if I'm missing some more detail) that he had the Xbox in his hands for a bit more than 1 day... so he focused in the early parts of the game to show the performance difference.

He will do a full analysis when he finish all the captures... that means he needs to play a lot for that... and it is just a side job for him... he has only the nights I believe to work on that.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Correct, but I was talking about gang jumping on other people on GAF, which only happens in this thread. Presumably because in the DMC5SE thread, the Xbox version had the (slim) advantage.

I've said all along there will be parity between the systems, that's not surprising for me nor should it be for anyone.
I remember you persisted a lot to the 4k native resolution narrative on serie X, when I have pointed out to you many times how was technically impossible looking to the pc specs. it's quite bizzarre hear now you indeed expected such parity in multiplat, because it's literally contradictory. But that's ok for me, you can have whatever opinion you find legitim.

Last edited:

John Wick

Average 60fps on both, and it was literally in the lead of the video.

Screen tearing on PS5 but only Xbox has VRR support to negate it though.

No I think I will. It's apparently ok to jump on MrFunsocks or Riky based off the results of one multiplatform game showing parity between the consoles. It's pathetic and if you defend it, you're pathetic too.

GAF is made all the more toxic and hostile with this kind of bullying.
Bullying? What you been smoking? These two clowns ruin any fair decent debate on these threads. Let's see you chirp up in every thread when they start fangirling eh?

geordiemp

Not when you preordered the series x thinking a 20% tf difference would yield a 44% advantage in ray tracing performance (not made up, this is the number some people were spreading around because they can count CUs and that's all)​

AMD know whats up, big Navi having same 10CU shader arrays, same clocks as ps5 almost like 2 ps5 back to back is no co incidence. AMD mentioned fine clock gating etc, we just know the PC parts are doing variable clocks per DCU. And I bet this was Sony driven.

All will come clear Soony TM.

Last edited:

John Wick

I remember you persisted a lot to the 4k native resolution narrative on serie X, when I have pointed out to you many times how was technically impossible looking to the pc specs. it's quite bizzarre hear now you indeed expected such parity in multiplat, because it's literally contradictory. But that's ok for me, you can have whatever opinion you find legitim.
Mate it's not their fault. MS and 12 teraflops has convinced them that a powerfull PC which struggles to hold 60fps@ native 4K in Valhalla yet their precious Series X will easily handle it in it's stride.

SilentUser

Though PS5 performs AC Valhalla better than the Series X, it's just one game, even if Ubisoft made a marketing deal with MS. In the end, both are really close and I suspect we will see loads of games running better on one platform, while loads of other games will perform better in the other platform.

But, most importantly, they will be close and it won't matter at all. It truly is a win-win situation here.

Can't wait to have my PS5 :D

But something DF failed to mention is that PS5 was using V-Sync in all the modes that XSX had minor advantage/tie, even high framerate mode while XSX was throwing that on the TV (VRR). When PS5 gets the VRR update expect some more interesting results, and why the XSX didn't have tearing there? Because there were using LG CX (VRR compatible).

I have no doubt they used VRR, but I'm sure they test on sources without it?

You're basically suggesting XsX has screen tearing in every game but that's simply not the case, not at all.

Bullying? What you been smoking? These two clowns ruin any fair decent debate on these threads. Let's see you chirp up in every thread when they start fangirling eh?

Being an Xbox fan and sharing a biased opinion on it is fair game unless you want this place to continue to be a Sony echo chamber (like the Next Gen thread)

And even if it is thread shitting, that doesn't somehow make being a douchebag and dog piling OK. It's toxic, childish and just puts off anyone with a different opinion, like myself, from posting here. Maybe that's what you want.

There's a lot more information in there than that one number, though.

But if you don't understand it it's ok.

Sure, but they run at the same resolution and the same frame rate. Screen tearing is unfortunate, but both consoles have it and only one supports away to negate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killer8

To be honest, as an owner of both systems (PS5 is on the way), I am actually annoyed that Series X isn't just reigning supreme in comparisons.

Now every release i'll have to wait for impressions about which has ended up the better version. It's the PS360 gen all over again lol

I'm playing the Series X version and I am telling you guys, you can still feel those drops even with VRR. Now, they are not big deals. I'd like to clarify some things though.

Drops do not seem to be related to crowd. It's mostly 60 fps in towns but then in certain sections, with a certain camera angle, you'll get the drops. There won't be a single person on screen yet you'll still get them. Feels like sky's the limit when it comes to what causes them.

Other than that, I won't stress enough how the game is still fantastic to play. You will encounter situations where it drops below 60 fps, even out of town. Combats, sometimes during exploration, sometimes when sailing, but it's so small of a drop in fps that it really isn't a big deal. It's still running at 60 fps for the most part.

Clips like VGtech and DF are fantastic at showing all kind of scenarios in a condensed clip. They then do a FPS average of that clip, providing valuable data. But when you are playing the game, you are not mimicking 1:1 what's happening in this clip. In real gameplay, you'll probably be locked to 60 fps (16.67ms) 99.8% of your time playing the game and not just 89% like the VVtech clip shows.

If I could buy the game again, I would still pick up the Series X version because

1. The drops are there and noticeable but not common enough to impact my gameplay experience
2. I need more Series X games lol I already bought most forthcoming multiplats on PS5 :LOL:

Last edited:
Nothing wrong in that statement. SX is more powerful console specs wise but its upto the developers to properly utilize and showcase that power. Hardware team did their job well.
Their stated goal was to create and ship the most powerful console ever, so they get:
xjhii.jpg

Participation medals are not "winning".

He said he will do a second video later in the game, but we altready have one and Ps5 is more powerful again so

PS5 is not powerful, maybe game better optimised for it. Specs on SX are way better. There is no way SX should be dropping frames if PS5 is not.

SX version dropping frames is clearly Ubisoft fucking up with optimisation.

Whatever the case maybe, it shows SX in bad light right now.

Xdrive05

30 fps on Series S?

whoever told me that it would only affect the res of games is a goddamn liar.

This is by far the most outrageous thing about all of this. WTF?

Series S should be able to run it in 60fps with that processor, even considering sub-hd resolution drops. What would even explain this? Low amount of usable RAM? Low bandwidth?

Clearly it's not just a resolution difference between the two. And that affects gameplay.

assurdum

Banned
PS5 is not powerful, maybe game better optimised for it. Specs on SX are way better. There is no way SX should be dropping frames if PS5 is not.

Indeed there is a way. Specs are not "way" better and both hardware are not like per like. It's very simple and straight to the face.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Not really - XSX design stretches the shader array to 14 CU, does not have the fine gated clocks per CU like PC and ps5 and cache optimisations.

IF XSX was same as Ps5 or PC it would have 10 CU shader arrays, 60 CU with 4 not used, and 6 shader arrays, 3 SE with variable fine gated clocks to 2.2 Ghz, then CU would scale. BUt we will learn more with RDNA2 white paper on the finer details.

My thoughts on why XSX is the way it is = 4 games running on server design was the goal.

I am sure XSX will perform slightly better in some games, propably native 4K ones that might favour width.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Not when you preordered the series x thinking a 20% tf difference would yield a 44% advantage in ray tracing performance (not made up, this is the number some people were spreading around because they can count CUs and that's all)​
Not to mention that... "PS4 worth of TF difference just like Pro and One X" was thrown around all the time, which was so stupid.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have no doubt they used VRR, but I'm sure they test on sources without it?

You're basically suggesting XsX has screen tearing in every game but that's simply not the case, not at all.

Not exactly. Using VRR gives you an advantage if you have a VRR-compatible tv, as you have more room to push for more FPS. PS5 has no VRR support yet and coming in an update, but it's using V-Sync internally that results in fps penalty unlike VRR/Freesync/G-Sync that is thrown to the tv/monitor instead of internally doing it (V-Sync). DMC5 if it has no V-Sync support from XSX then expect insane screen tearing for the majority of gamers who still use HDMI 2.0 TV's.

Tripolygon

Banned
Average 60fps on both, and it was literally in the lead of the video.

Screen tearing on PS5 but only Xbox has VRR support to negate it though.

No I think I will. It's apparently ok to jump on MrFunsocks or Riky based off the results of one multiplatform game showing parity between the consoles. It's pathetic and if you defend it, you're pathetic too.

GAF is made all the more toxic and hostile with this kind of bullying.
The average dingus length is between 4 to 6 inches but we all know that on gaf the average is 12 inches. 🤣🤣🤣

assurdum

Banned
Mate it's not their fault. MS and 12 teraflops has convinced them that a powerfull PC which struggles to hold 60fps@ native 4K in Valhalla yet their precious Series X will easily handle it in it's stride.
I was even banned from a forum because I pointed out that thing to a supermod. I'm not joking. He call me Sony fanboy.

FALCON_KICK

No surprises here. Similarly for PS4/Xbox-one, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed: Black Flag analysis gave us fairly good idea about the difference between those 2 consoles.

I'd expect the Xbox Series X to have slightly better performance in Ray-Traced 3rd party multi-platform games.

I'm interested in seeing if this reasonable parity continues or if one pushes ahead. Xbox one was balls at launch. Never closed the gap but did certainly better then at first.

John Wick

It's one cross gen launch game with a barely perceptible difference, I wouldn't start the victory parade just yet. If what we've heard about Xbox tools being behind then there will be plenty of room for improvement.
Yeah but why are you crying now? Is it because your eating crow???
You know it doesn't matter to me even if the Series X had a slight resolution or framerate advantage in multipats because PS5 has the game changer the DualSense.
With Sony giving priority to SSD and IO as well as Tempest 3d Audio I'll be enjoying Miles Morales, Demons Souls, Sackboy and Thirdparty games while you sit there and beat over 12tf while you wait for the games to arrive Soony

Top Bottom