• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Subreddit mods "verifying" the the source of NX *RUMORS.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphinx

the piano man
You don't even know what it is yet. How can you possibly know whether it's being priced too high?

I think there's just a psychological barrier there, regardless of what this "NX thing" contains, bundled or not.

and the comments about being dead at $299 is because strong rumors point at it being weak.

Couple that with the fact that nintendo is at an all-time worst regarding third party relationships and you have basically a WiiU situation.

did the WiiU sell at $299 with award winning games like 3D world and splatoon? no, people avoided it like the pest.

being $249 or $199 solves none of the problems though, so good luck to nintendo.

300 is too expensive for a handheld.

I have to see the hardware, but not sure what Ninty is trying with that price.

I do have trouble trying to imagine Nintendo launching a handheld at $300 after the $250 price point nearly killed the 3DS before it could live, with that huge price cut a few months after launch. We'll have to see.

huh when did they ever confirmed Zelda at launch?
https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/725224978984083456

They delayed Zelda specifically for a dual launch with the NX. While it would be possible they would choose to launch the game for both Wii U and NX later in the year, that would be dumb. They are pulling a Twilight Princess with the game, giving them a "free" AAA launch title. Smash Bros has also been announced for NX, hopefully they are also going to have that at launch too, and a 3D Mario game and Mario Kart.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You don't even know what it is yet. How can you possibly know whether it's being priced too high?

We know that both 3ds and Wii U had less successful launches because they have been overpriced. Only one of them manage to recover from that. And it took a big price cut to do that despite the very good reception when it was revealed.

If we assume it is mainly a handheld, it will be priced well above the acceptable (by the market standards) prices for a handheld.

If we assume it's a console, it's a Wii U all over again. A console in the power range of old consoles (PS4), at the same price and having to start with a new library while having no guarantee whatsoever about 3rd party support. While there is already a more powerful console on the market (which means no advantages in terms of 3rd parties ports) and one even more powerful to be launched within the next 9 months or so.

$299 is what gets you an Xbone and PS4. By the time time Scorpio launches most probably PS4 Pro will get a $50 price cut.

They delayed Zelda specifically for a dual launch with the NX. While it would be possible they would choose to launch the game for both Wii U and NX later in the year, that would be dumb.

that's not a confirmation. I mean, people are free to assume or speculate it but don't pass that as an exact confirmation. it's kinda like people who says stuff from a rumour as a confirmed stuff

Xater

Yeah but do they have Mario and Zelda?

I've saved with £300 in mind for the device. Anything more than that for everything will be overpriced imo.

The Wii U had those and it didn't help.

These rumors better be wrong, because these prices are bonkers and would not help Nintendo.

that's not a confirmation. I mean, people are free to assume or speculate it but don't pass that as an exact confirmation. it's kinda like people who says stuff from a rumour as a confirmed stuff
Nobody said it was confirmed by Nintendo, what was said was that we know it, which we do. You won't find anybody doubting that the game is going to be an NX launch title.

Chris1

Because it doesn't really matter what it is? It's still gonna have the same games you come to expect from Nintendo and $300 isn't worth that handful of games when you can get it's competitors (lol) for cheaper and a wider range of games plus some of the most popular/best in the world (GTA, COD)

Unless they're doing something crazy nobody has ever thought of before that attracts the casual, it doesn't matter what it is (which is most likely a hybrid anyways, aimed towards gamers not casuals). It's not going to be motion controls because that's dead, it's not going to be VR because that's too cheap and it's not going to be AR because that's too cheap and the home console severely limits it.

Yeah but do they have Mario and Zelda?

I've saved with £300 in mind for the device. Anything more than that for everything will be overpriced imo.

How did the WiiU do with Mario and Zelda?

Munter

We know that both 3ds and Wii U had less successful launches because they have been overpriced. Only one of them manage to recover from that. And it took a big price cut to do that despite the very good reception when it was revealed.

If we assume it is mainly a handheld, it will be priced well above the acceptable (by the market standards) prices for a handheld.

If we assume it's a console, it's a Wii U all over again. A console in the power range of old consoles (PS4), at the same price and having to start with a new library while having no guarantee whatsoever about 3rd party support. While there is already a more powerful console on the market (which means no advantages in terms of 3rd parties ports) and one even more powerful to be launched within the next 9 months or so.

$299 is what gets you an Xbone and PS4. By the time time Scorpio launches most probably PS4 Pro will get a $50 price cut.

Again though, you're just assuming and have no idea what the device is and what it does. This is all rumour and speculation and until we know what the thing actually is then we can't judge if it is priced too expensive, if that even is the price.

Peterc

I don't really care about them. The Vita also had FIFA and CoD and well that was something wasn't it.

It still makes sony their sales. Marketing is another thing. Sony has did this very well for the ps4 not with vita.

Look how well Nintendo did this with wii and not with wiiu. It's not about having core games. It is about marketing and bringing the right content for mainstream/casual gamers to sell the system. Do i want it? No. But they need it to save the system.

Lmao I just found out 10k has new NX rumors again. I thought that man stopped doing that 😂

His rumors sound great if they were to happen.

The_Lump

Banned

My point being, we don't know and it takes a lot of assumptions to draw a conclusion about it being "dead" on arrival.

Market value is 99% down to perception. We can't form that perception before we know what the thing is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Again though, you're just assuming and have no idea what the device is and what it does. This is all rumour and speculation and until we know what the thing actually is then we can't judge if it is priced too expensive, if that even is the price.

My point being, we don't know and it takes a lot of assumptions to draw a conclusion about it being "dead" on arrival.

Market value is 99% down to perception. We can't form that perception before we know what the thing is.

Sure, you can go all "la-la-la-la-la. I can't hear you!".

3ds and Wii U being priced out of the market - we know.
Western 3rd party games situation on Nintendo devices - we know
PS4 and PS4 prices - we know
Scorpio launching next year - we know
Handheld market situation - we know
Best selling games on $299 console - we know (also how likely is for most of them to be ported to NX)
Yes, there are Nintendo fans willing to pay $299 - all 10 million or so of them. Not enough for success.

Now let's see that magic device that will completely change the perception on the gaming market at $299.

Nobody said it was confirmed by Nintendo, what was said was that we know it, which we do. You won't find anybody doubting that the game is going to be an NX launch title.

but i'm asking whether such thing (Zelda is NX launch title) is exactly confirmed before today. so based on your replies to me, it doesn't! thanks

Munter

Best selling games on $299 console - we know (also how likely is for most of them to be ported to NX)
Yes, there are Nintendo fans willing to pay $299 - all 10 million or so of them. Not enough for success.

Now let's see that magic device that will completely change the perception on the gaming market at $299.

What the actual NX device is - we don't know
What the actual price for NX will be - we don't know

You're making assumptions based on rumour and speculation.

Munter

Are you obtuse on purpose? The whole discussion is about $299. Because this is what this thread is about.

This thread is about a rumoured/speculated price that has not been confirmed by Nintendo. It's not being obtuse, just stating facts.

This thread is about a rumoured/speculated price that has not been confirmed by Nintendo. It's not being obtuse, just stating facts.

Maybe if you have a problem with people discussing a current rumour about the NX price you shouldn't be in the threads where people discuss current rumours regarding the NX price, and just wait for the final announcement thread?

The_Lump

Banned

You kinda seem to be the one doing the "la-la-la" business because you're ignoring what I'm saying. We're not talking about what it is worth, we're talking about perceived value. And we can't predict that until we see the product, marketing and price as a whole.

Sure, if it looks like a Fisher price toy, has the same gap in specs as WiiU did and the gimmick is as poorly thought out - $299 will be too high.

But that's a lot of "ifs".

Munter

Maybe if you have a problem with people discussing a current rumour about the NX price you shouldn't be in the threads where people discuss current rumours regarding the NX price, and just wait for the final announcement thread?

I have no problem with people talking about prices of consoles when we know what they are and what they're capable of, but at this present moment in time nobody, not one person in this thread, can tell me what the NX is, what it does and how powerful it is. Until we know that information, there is no point in stating things such as "this seems too expensive" or "Nintendo are pricing themselves out of the competition" and all the other hyperbolic statements being made in this thread.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You kinda seem to be the one doing the "la-la-la" business because you're ignoring what I'm saying. We're not talking about what it is worth, we're talking about perceived value. And we can't predict that until we see the product, marketing and price as a whole.

Sure, if it looks like a Fisher price toy, has the same gap in specs as WiiU did and the gimmick is as poorly thought out - $299 will be too high.

But that's a lot of "ifs".

Perceived value doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Shiggy

They delayed Zelda specifically for a dual launch with the NX. While it would be possible they would choose to launch the game for both Wii U and NX later in the year, that would be dumb. They are pulling a Twilight Princess with the game, giving them a "free" AAA launch title. Smash Bros has also been announced for NX, hopefully they are also going to have that at launch too, and a 3D Mario game and Mario Kart.

Actually Nintendo has not indicated that it would launch with the NX, though that can be inferred from the delay of NX AND Zelda from fall 2016 to 2017. At the same time, Nintendo is well known for strategically delaying finished titles for more than a year - so if they have a game which they think will reach a wider audience at launch, then I could see them release Zelda after the NX launch.

kc44135

OK, so first off, I realize everything that we know about the NX is rumor and speculation. However, based on (what we think) we know about the NX, I'm definitely concerned, especially at the $299 price point, which I just honestly think is too high for what they are supposedly offering, and who they are supposedly marketing it towards. I'll try to look at this thing, based on what we've heard, from two different standpoints here.

First off, console gamers: Frankly, I think Nintendo lost the majority of the console market a long time ago, with Wii simply being a fluke. Every other console, including Wii U, has simply continued they're downwards sales trajectory, and there's a few reasons why I think NX won't be any different here. Firstly, this thing will NOT have the third party support of devs working on PS4/X1/PC, even if the NX can match those systems for power, and has a relatively normal controller. Third party devs need to see the console as a success, a sure thing, before they jump on board and invest in making games for it, but of course, the console needs their support to be successful in the first place, creating a cycle Nintendo hasn't been able to break from since the N64 days. That combined with the console seemingly being less powerful than the competition despite being the same price likely means it's dead in the water, at least as far as the console market is concerned. On the other hand...

The portable market:. OK, so the 3DS did pretty well, and based off the rumors we've heard, Nintendo will mainly be marketing this as their newest portable console. I think Nintendo could do well with a new portable, as there still seems to be a market for dedicated portables, and Nintendo has always dominated this market. However, there does NOT seem to be a market for powerful, expensive handhelds. If there was, the Vita would have been far more successful than it was. You could attribute this to the Vita lacking Nintendo's library of games, but the 3DS itself also really struggled until it was dropped to $199. People in the portable market just seem really hesitant to buy an expensive handheld, and they don't seem to care much about power either. If they did, they wouldn't still be buying 3DS systems with freaking 240p (!) screens in 2016. Going off all of that, it really doesn't seem like Nintendo can suceed here with such an expensive portable console, and I just really doubt that the 3DS's audience will care much about how powerful this thing is, or that they can play these games on their TV's (I doubt they'd be in the market for a portable if they did).

The only hope I think Nintendo's got right now, at that price point, is an amazing library of games. The idea of Nintendo consolidating their portable and console software output under one roof seems really promising, and is the main reason I'm excited for this thing. I'm just not sure it will be enough, honestly.

I have no problem with people talking about prices of consoles when we know what they are and what they're capable of, but at this present moment in time nobody, not one person in this thread, can tell me what the NX is, what it does and how powerful it is. Until we know that information, there is no point in stating things such as "this seems too expensive" or "Nintendo are pricing themselves out of the competition" and all the other hyperbolic statements being made in this thread.

Maybe you shouldn't be in a rumor thread if you don't like people discussing rumors, huh?

kc44135

^ OK, WOW, probably my longest comment ever! Here's the TL:DR version: A lack of third party support and seemingly underpowered specs for same price as the competition means the NX likely won't do well in the console space. As far as the Portable market goes, I think it could do well, but not at that $299 price point. I want it to suceed, but I'm really not sure it will, based on what we've heard so far.

So what you're saying is you should stay out of threads on rumours entirely because you can't comprehend that people would want to discuss them, and that people aren't going to add a disclaimer to every post they make to something like
"this (rumoured*) price is too high for what they're offering based on other rumours

*nb this post is based on rumours and subject to change".

Because you should already be able to comprehend that that is the case in every single post in the thread by default.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Do you understand there is a difference between believing a rumour (which based on my earlier posts in this thread you could clearly see it's not the case here) and using the rumour as basis for an interesting discussion about the possible price of NX?

Edit: even more, me saying $299 is suicidal is not a jab at Nintendo, it's a jab at this rumour.

120v

$300 is pretty much standard for new hardware in today's market. keep in mind nintendo intends to sell at a profit

in spite of not knowing specifics and all, it's a good ballpark of what to expect

because i'm bored i'll do some out of my ass speculating... nvidia shields run at around $150, and assuming the tech will be some souped up variant that will probably run it over $200. add two controllers, the dock, and throw in some wildcard feature such has haptic feedback or whatever, that should bump it over $250. $250-300 sounds about on the money

300 is too high for a handheld, hardware is irrelevant regarding this We've seen in the past how price sensible is this market.

Vita was the most powerful portable ever, it failed hard.

bluehat9

I don't really believe any of it, but if Mario is there at launch I'll be there too. I'm on team delay though, so yeah, Mario in "launch window" Fall anyway.

JonnyKong

It makes no sense to me why that Sherlock guy on Twitter would know a billion things about the hardware side of things, but not one single piece of news on the software. Surely if you're going to be finding out all this secret information, you'd get everything, all or nothing.That's why I don't believe a word he's saying. He's just YET ANOTHER bored, irritating person on the internet making up shit.

El Topo

But ps4 pro is 399$ ?
While the nx are 2 for one price and only for 299$

Rumor has it that PS4 Pro is not a new console, but a premium model of the leading console, compatible with its games and your current PSN account, not to mention it's supposedly not even out yet.

It just depends on their marketing strategy.

No. Not unless their marketing strategy is to literally bundle the console/handheld/whatever with $100.

LoveCake

Console is currently set to launch with least 4 titles on deck.

Base price point seems to be sitting at $299.99

Bundle

The NX is currently set to have a bundle option.
The contents of this bundle is currently unknown.
Bundle price is currently sitting at $399.99

Packaging

The packaging for the NX will be slightly larger than the Wii U's packaging.

Four titles, one of them Zelda?

What could be in the bundle for an extra $100, games or some extra hardware? like with the WiiU Premium version?

How can this be a handheld if the box is slightly bigger than a WiiU box? the only thing I can think of and have mentioned before if the handheld part connected into a larger unit like the NeoGeo X Gold.

The handheld cannot be bigger than a Vita imo otherwise it is going to be too big to carry about, I have a Vita and also a original 3DS, both fit in my pocket, I have a Kindle HDX 7" and that is too big to carry about in a pocket, I am sorry but a handheld shouldn't have to be carried about in a (large) bag/rucksack.

Zemm

Errrrr that doesn't sound good. Sounds like that rumour from a few days ago that you'd only be able to play mobile versions of games when the system is handheld. That would be an absolutely disastrous design decision.

That was my exact first thought too. The system has the potential to be amazing (full games on TV and/or Handheld) or a massive missed potential (TV/dock versions of games and small mobile type games for the handheld). If it's the latter then I'm not interested.

L Thammy

I know I'm late, but

The packaging still says "NX" however there is still no indication if this is a placeholder or the final name.

What's with the rumours where the NX's packaging is out and yet people still don't know the final name? Is Nintendo going to change the name post-launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom