• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYCC 2016 |OT| We really are the Walking Dead (con)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Ended up not picking up any figures this year. Marvel Legends wise I guess scalpers must be making a lot marking up Deadpools because there were a lot of retail price Rogues and sub-retail price Phoenix/Havok/Iceman/Kitty.

Confirmed that I should probably buy that Sideshow "Almost Got 'Im" Batman animated Poison Ivy statue. Looked great in person.

Jhoan

fallengorn said:
The Beat has a write up of the ReedPop Q&A session on Sunday: http://www.comicsbeat.com/nycc16-whi...nual-qa-panel/

A few things I wanted to point out here:

Numerous kudos were given to the “blue shirt” staff, as well as convention security, and customer service in general. (Although many suggested that there needs to be better communication regarding updates, such as the line on Friday and Saturday.)
This brings a huge smile to my face. So much stuff goes on behind the scenes to ensure that fans are happy and having a good time. Radio chatter requesting assistance in areas that need it the most; fans telling me that Crew made their day; Crew wearing subtle things to stick out such as cat ears and paws, extravagant hats, and what have you; snacks, donuts, and refreshments being brought to the break room to ensure that everyone is functioning like a human and not a like a zombie.

At Artist Alley, an artist that I built a rapport with Neil Dvorak, was awesome enough to give me both of his volumes of Easy Pieces at a discount because he appreciated the work that the Artist Alley Crew did. Ask any Crew how long they've working the show and if it's more than a year, you can expect to hear some stories if they were not too busy.

I fought back tears on Sunday because it was ending as emotions got higher by the time 5pm approached. I personally do it because I love it and the camaraderie that I've built over the years with veteran Crew, Staff, security, and newcomers alike just like so many of the friends that I've made over the years do. It's been a tremendous pleasure to be part of such a huge show and get to enjoy it like a fan half of the time.

And I completely agree that communication issues can be better since it's an area that needs constant improvement even in this year's show. Whether that means using megaphones or some kind of a signage system.

A crew member asked about the upcoming anime show from another company, and if that would affect NYCC’s programming. Mike noted that ReedPop has a good working relationship with their anime partners, and that another show helps the general community to grow. Another comment about the lack of anime content in Artist Alley was explained that 1,600 applications are made for the approximately 400 tables.
This is referring to Leftfield Media which notably organized Play Fair earlier this year and Awesome Con. They're organizing a new anime con in November of next year called fittingly enough, Anime NYC in partnership with Crunchyroll. As a fun fact, Play Fair 2017 is happening the week before the aforementioned so they've got a lot on their plate. Also, their headquarters is in the same vicinity as ReedPop. An anime con in November in NYC is not common at all so this is going to be interesting.

On another note, the final damage report on attendance: 185K tickets sold once again surpassing SDCC for yet another year:

"We sold at least 185,000 unique tickets" to New York Comic Con, ReedPOP Senior Vice President Lance Fensterman told ICv2 Sunday. That’s up from 167,000 attendees at the show a year ago (see "ICv2 Interview: ReedPOP SVP Lance Fensterman"), an 11% increase. The growth in attendees was accomplished by selling more single day tickets, especially for Thursday, Fensterman said.

Also some more info on what's in store for next year's NYCC including hinting that Artist Alley might be at an off-site venue and more off-site events:

Changes will have to be made to the show for 2017. The North Hall, where Artists Alley has been sited the last few years, is going to be rebuilt, which will require the layout of the show to be reconfigured. "We’re going to have to shuffle the deck a little bit, and hopefully find a way to expand the show more," Fensterman explained. Changes will definitely include the use of more offsite space.

Lots more at the link including including RFID system stuff and new sponsorship methods used at this year's NYCC.

With Special Edition NYC occupying the Javits North Hall in its first two years (for those who don't know, it was just the Artist Alley area), I think next year we'll get a preview as to where the new Artist Alley will be with its return. Special Edition NYC was on hiatus this year due to ReedPop focusing its efforts on expanding NYCC.

I'm going to miss the natural sunlight and direct access from the adjacent building. Gotta wonder how exhibiting artists are going to react to the changes. Artist Alley was my favorite area to visit between breaks so hopefully it's not too far from the Javits Center proper. Oh and next year's NYCC is happening at the same time as Heroes and Villains Fan Fest in NJ so that's going to be interesting to watch. Of course, NYCC is going to dwarf it.

MG310

I guess it could be in 1-E where the VR/Final Fantasy stuff was this year..not sure how they compare size wise but definitely lacks the good lighting.

It's a shame they'll have to make changes because with the offsite panels it felt like everything was more relaxed this year. Certainly nothing like the sweaty sliding mass that the show floor turned into on Friday and Saturday in the past..especially when Mattel had their booth right at the top of the escalator and kept wrapping lines around it.

Penguin

Bumping...

So Fan Verification is back

First: We will be requiring Fan Verification again in order to buy a NYCC 2017 ticket or have one purchased for you. Fan Verification will open on April 19, 2017 for anyone who didn't create a profile last year.

If have a 2016 profile carries over and get first dibs on limited tickets

Second: Anyone who created a Fan Verification profile in 2016, your profiles will carry over in 2017. Hip-hip hooray! As an extra thank you, we're giving fans with NYCC 2016 Fan Verification profiles first crack at a limited number of tickets with a special NYCC 2017 ticket presale. Only fans with NYCC 2016 Fan Verification profiles will be able to purchase tickets during the presale or have one purchased for and assigned to them.

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Tickets/NYCC-Ticket-Process-and-Show-News/

No more 3/4 day passes

Third: We're going to be real with you, this is a very bittersweet announcement – we are eliminating 3-Day and 4-Day tickets. We will only be selling single day Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Sunday Kids tickets to NYCC 2017.

Messi

Worried now. Being an international traveller I'm scared of not gettin to go 4 days. It's too much money to pay to stay in NYC fir just going 2 days.

Just saw that email. Not like I was scoring 3/4 day passes the last few years anyway. And there's some separate anime con in November at Javits?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Booo. Splitting up passes is just to get them more money.

On the bright side, it frees up pass availability as some people buy 3/4 day passes and don't even go the whole time.

Messi

Booo. Splitting up passes is just to get them more money.

On the bright side, it frees up pass availability as some people buy 3/4 day passes and don't even go the whole time.

How much were single day passes

Oh I got the fan verification email. Reconfirmed and ready to go

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Wonder how they're going to deal with press/professional passes. Parsing those out to single day seems weird.

Probably just gonna go thurs/fri this year. The construction isn't gonna help the already pressed for space show floor/artist alley. Having panels offsite helped out A LOT last year but it was still a mess on saturday.

Jhoan

It looks like they're using the same business model that they implemented with PAX East this year. From my understanding, said show sold out incredibly fast for the entire weekend so they used that as a jumping point for NYCC's business model but of course with RFID badges and the Fan Verification system (which SDCC has since aped). With PAX East, Saturday is always the most popular day unsurprisingly.

This allows them to have an accurate number of projected ticket numbers sold for the entire weekend. It also allows them to figure out where to improve next for future cons and add incentives to less popular days. I'm quite fascinated to see how bad each individual day is going to be in terms of crowd because I wonder how many projected tickets they will have for each day.

Because Thursday has been the least popular day but had quite a few bigger panels with the addition of off-site panels in the last two years, I think they might add in an equal number of tickets as the rest of the days. For instance, if they sell 50,000 tickets for each individual day, it would surpass their current attendance record very easily. Friday and Saturday will still be the best selling days regardless of the fact.

Any way, I'm geeking out and speculating at this point since I'm fascinated by the behind-the-scenes/business side of cons. This still won't stop people from selling the tickets secondhand but that's the nature of the beast. I think have at least 1-2 more years left in me working the show before I hang it up good.

Artist Alley is under new management this year because the previous director of the last several years now works for ReedPOP full time as head of C2E2 (this is public knowledge BTW). What will this mean for Artist Alley at this year's NYCC is anyone's guess but I think it's in good hands. It will be interesting to see where Artist Alley will be housed this year with the North Concourse being torn down in favor of a multi-level building.

MG310

Artist Alley is under new management this year because the previous director of the last several years now works for ReedPOP full time as head of C2E2 (this is public knowledge BTW). What will this mean for Artist Alley at this year's NYCC is anyone's guess but I think it's in good hands. It will be interesting to see where Artist Alley will be housed this year with the North Concourse being torn down in favor of a multi-level building.

Mike always did a great job with the artist alley and St. Jude's auctions so I'm happy to see he got that opportunity.

As far as Artist Alley it should be interesting but fine as long as it isn't crammed onto the floor behind The Block where the oversized anime figure scalper booths usually live. There was also that big theatre in 1-E that didn't get used last year but who knows what will be under construction by then aside from the Javits North.

Jhoan

Mike always did a great job with the artist alley and St. Jude's auctions so I'm happy to see he got that opportunity.

As far as Artist Alley it should be interesting but fine as long as it isn't crammed onto the floor behind The Block where the oversized anime figure scalper booths usually live. There was also that big theatre in 1-E that didn't get used last year but who knows what will be under construction by then aside from the Javits North.
I will miss the hell out of him because he made everyone feel like family even when didn't know the person. He's going to be around but it's not going to be the same as going down to Artist Alley to help clear it or seeing him during the site tour on the day before the con opens. That being said, if it's anyone who deserved it, it was him because C2E2 was his first baby after NYCC and he was one of most passionate people on Staff.

Eau contraire, 1-E did get get used last year for VR experience stuff and was an extension of the show floor. People stampeded the hell over there in the morning to get in line for the FFXV VR experience for swag/Toy Tokyo tickets.1-E would be fine because I can't see Artist Alley being off-site. Artists would be super pissed at the lack of foot traffic. It saddened me that exhibitors have the chutzpah to resell hot exclusives for ridiculous prices and it's more sad that people who desperately wanted them, bought them.

MG310

I will miss the hell out of him because he made everyone feel like family even when didn't know the person. He's going to be around but it's not going to be the same as going down to Artist Alley to help clear it or seeing him during the site tour on the day before the con opens. That being said, if it's anyone who deserved it, it was him because C2E2 was his first baby after NYCC and he was one of most passionate people on Staff.

Eau contraire, 1-E did get get used last year for VR experience stuff and was an extension of the show floor. People stampeded the hell over there in the morning to get in line for the FFXV VR experience for swag/Toy Tokyo tickets.1-E would be fine because I can't see Artist Alley being off-site. Artists would be super pissed at the lack of foot traffic. It saddened me that exhibitors have the chutzpah to resell hot exclusives for ridiculous prices and it's more sad that people who desperately wanted them, bought them.

Damn, should have scrolled up..I mentioned the 1E VR stuff on this very page months ago and forgot about it.

Didn't actually go in there during the show but did walk by it once just to see what they had over there.

fallengorn

FYI, they held a FB Live Q&A.

Artist Alley is now in 1-E.
There's going to be two main entrances this year.

Also, press and professional registration is now open.

Jhoan

I called it! 1-E is a no brainer given that it's been a variable area each year. That area is going to be quite crowded for sure especially with the Main Stage nearby because people who want to kill time can go there.

Also, two main entrances is going to be a huge relief for anyone that's not Crew/Staff/Exhibitors. Those lines were crazy long last year.

Hero

Thank god for two entrances. Saturday was a clusterfuck this past year and spent almost two hours doing some back and forth circle shit around the convention before I got in. It was seriously the most incompetent shit I've ever seen for a convention this big.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Got my presale link too, but no word if I was approved for Pro Pass. My brother, who made a NYCC exclusive variant for Power Rangers and Spider-Man hasn't received any e-mails from them. Weird.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Say I have a bunch of friends fan verified but are not 100% sure if they are all going, if I buy a predetermined amount of tickets using some of my friends' emails, and it turns out those specific friends that I used the emails for can't go, but others can, is there anything preventing me from transferring the tickets to them come NYCC? I know it's unlikely all of them will go, so I'm not buying tickets for everyone and if all can go then we could take turns for certain days. I thought last year we registered our tickets right before the convention, but is that changing this year so tickets are restricted to the person whose email I register a purchase to?

Vyse24

Is the pre-sale single tickets only? It looks like it to me the way the email is written.

EDIT: Just saw the thing saying 3 and 4-day passes are not happening. Argh.

Penguin

Say I have a bunch of friends fan verified but are not 100% sure if they are all going, if I buy a predetermined amount of tickets using some of my friends' emails, and it turns out those specific friends that I used the emails for can't go, but others can, is there anything preventing me from transferring the tickets to them come NYCC? I know it's unlikely all of them will go, so I'm not buying tickets for everyone and if all can go then we could take turns for certain days. I thought last year we registered our tickets right before the convention, but is that changing this year so tickets are restricted to the person whose email I register a purchase to?

If it's anything like last year, the damn fan verification means jack

It's just a way to collect information on people who buy tickets

ironmang

Is the pre-sale single tickets only? It looks like it to me the way the email is written.

EDIT: Just saw the thing saying 3 and 4-day passes are not happening. Argh.

Just an excuse to get more money from us. They know it's big enough now that it'll sell out even if they double the price. $150 + shipping, taxes, and/or fees for a 3 day pass is a big jump from last year. If it wasn't basically the only time I see a couple friends from college I'd probably look for cheaper, less crowded replacements that are more comics centric.

fallengorn

They just did a small q&a on facebook about the presale, if anyone has any lingering questions about it.

They said that professional notifications will be sent out tonight or tomorrow morning.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
If it's anything like last year, the damn fan verification means jack

It's just a way to collect information on people who buy tickets

Ok, good! That's what I was hoping because I have no clue what friends of mine can go right now.

ev0

Page doesn't even look like it's pretending to refresh. Hate that they still won't put a spot in line or anything.

For real...that was one of the biggest criticisms last year and they didnt change it.

The Queue banner seems to blink randomly

Messi

JR-Smith-Celebrates-After-Hitting-Buzzer-Beater.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom