• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity-Age: Why are fat people not serious about losing weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

God, I love how NB keeps coming back for more.

this thread... wow. again, so much anger and disdain from the OP.

t4ng0

So you hate fat people.

Also, you hate fat people trying to get in shape.

People like YOU are whats wrong with gyms. Assholes who think it's their god-given right to use a machine simply because they can lift more, or are better at it.

I'm fit, bitch.

Edit: Half the time the afore-mentioned assholes don't even use the machines/weights with good form, which is even more hilarious when they realize they aren't really that strong.

btkadams

Theory 1:
you probably just got your membership at the gym a few weeks ago thinking you (since you're thin) are taking this seriously. have you noticed a shitload of overweight people and haven't realize what time of year it is? update this thread in 3 months when those people who "aren't trying" aren't even there anymore.

Theory 2:
you judge people and hate anyone that doesn't think or act like you.

t4ng0 said:
So you hate fat people.

Also, you hate fat people trying to get in shape.

People like YOU are whats wrong with gyms. Assholes who think it's their god-given right to use a machine simply because they can lift more, or are better at it.

I'm fit, bitch.

You're wrong though, gyms are only for the enlightened people like the OP.

FreshOne

I almost never check out Off-Topic. I had no idea what I was missing. Thanks OP, catching up via your tag has been a pleasure.

Struct09

Tim the Wiz said:
To be fair, he's correct in saying that the overweight shouldn't be going straight to heavy lifting. That builds muscle underneath the fat, gives greater appearance of fat on their body and makes them weigh more since muscle is heavier than fat. Dispiriting and a distraction from dealing with the key concern, which is doing cardio to get rid of the fat on their body.

He has quite a way of saying it, though, and manages to generalize the psychology of a whole subset of people while doing so.

Actually they should focus on lifting. Nothing burns through body fat at rest better than lean mass, so building up muscle underneath the excess fat will actually help quite a bit. Cardio is great for overall health, and will definitely help you lose weight if you're trying to, but it's actually unnecessary even if you're looking to lose weight. I went from being overweight down to under 10% bodyfat while barely doing any cardio (maybe once a week). Diet is obviously the most important factor.

Anyway, let overweight people do as they wish. If they truly want to change their lifestyle they will, and if they're paying customers at the gym they can do whatever the hell they want.

Neo C.

Losing weight is a fucking pain in the ass. I'm not obese, not even overweight, but I can't lower my BMI with sports and a quiet healthy lifestyle alone.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Another splendid display of assholery from NintendosBooger. Bravo.

Better get back on your squat machine, you serious weight lifter.

Halycon said:
My psychology is shaky right now but here's what I remember, feel free to correct me.

Physically speaking, obesity will alter human body's internal chemistry. Being fat primes the body to stay fat. It's very easy to gain weight, but losing it takes a lot more effort. Obesity also make it more difficult to exercise regularly, and dieting increases the body's energy expenditure (thus increasing the food intake of someone who is obese).

In addition, social pressure can be both a motivator and a demotivator. Many people try to lose weight in order to better conform with with society's expectations. But the unrealistic portrayal of the human body in all forms of media often has negative effects on an obese person's psyche, robbing them of their confidence and self-esteem.

Thus, people trying to lose weight are fighting two fronts, one against their body, and one against their mind.

FAKE EDIT: Stop being a booger, seriously.

So it's society and fat's fault that they're obese? Why do head doctors insist on searching for some complex psychological explanation to exonerate people from personal responsibility.

I was 125-lbs, skinny as a rail and without energy or focus before someone helped me eat better (and more), and workout. I've hit 200 now, and am trying to cut out the remaining fat around my mid-section, and then rebuild again up to 190. Do I cry and say, "WAH WAH, THE FAT CELLS ARE PREVENTING ME FROM LOSING FAT! WAH, THE TV GUY SAID I WAS TOO SKINNY, I CAN'T DO IT!"

diffusionx

Gold Member
NintendosBooger said:
I don’t mean to put big people down, but they’re frustrating. They look at themselves in the mirror every day, they SEE the problem, but they don’t much to fix it. And when they do decide to take some action, they want a round of applause from those that can run a block without their clothes drenched in sweat.

So give them a round of applause. Fuck, it's not that hard. It's far easier than changing your entire life around and adopting a whole new lifestyle. I can see from the above post that you needed help to get your shit in gear, yet apparently you are too much of a self-centered douche to be that for someone else.

NintendosBooger said:
It gets worse. When I go to the gym, I see these fat asses occupying areas and machines designed specifically for serious lifters.

Uhh, so you talk shit when they don't try to lose weight, and talk shit when they try to lose weight. Nice guy.

Tobor

NintendosBooger said:
So it's society and fat's fault that they're obese? Why do head doctors insist on searching for some complex psychological explanation to exonerate people from personal responsibility.

I was 125-lbs, skinny as a rail and without energy or focus before someone helped me eat better (and more), and workout. I've hit 200 now, and am trying to cut out the remaining fat around my mid-section, and then rebuild again up to 190. Do I cry and say, "WAH WAH, THE FAT CELLS ARE PREVENTING ME FROM LOSING FAT! WAH, THE TV GUY SAID I WAS TOO SKINNY, I CAN'T DO IT!"

Maybe that someone should have told you to stay off the fucking gym equipment since you were hogging the machines from the serious people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:
I was 125-lbs, skinny as a rail and without energy or focus before someone helped me eat better (and more), and workout.

You needed someone's help? How pathetic. If you weren't a subhuman you'd have been able to do it without a support structure.

NintendosBooger said:
I've hit 200 now, and am trying to cut out the remaining fat around my mid-section, and then rebuild again up to 190.

You fucking lardass, get out of my gym.

Do I cry and say, "WAH WAH, THE FAT CELLS ARE PREVENTING ME FROM LOSING FAT! WAH, THE TV GUY SAID I WAS TOO SKINNY, I CAN'T DO IT!"

No you cry and cry on GAF about every group of people who don't meet your meticulous standards for being an acceptable human being, because you have no ability to empathize or socialize at all

joelseph

NintendosBooger said:

Just post a picture all ready damn.

t4ng0

NintendosBooger said:

rapid bulking up?
aggressive demeanor?
yelling?

just saying.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Do you post at bodybuilding forums or something? Sounds like you'd feel there at home.

TiVo

I hate fat people that see the empty seat next to you that they KNOW they can't fit in but proceed to plop down in it and they just let the fat rest on top of you while they sit comfortable and you barely can breathe.

Also after they get up the seat and general area smells like hot funky ass and then the next person to sit next to you look at you like you stink.

Not a good thing when you work up a sweat drying yourself off after a shower.

Darklord

Banned
Fat people who go to the gym aren't serious about losing weight? What the fuck do you want them to do? Anyone over 180 pounds is banished to the forest until they lose the weight or die?

Seriously, GAF is the only reason I don't have any really ad blocker software (besides using Firefox)

2r23n60.jpg

This. They don't know there's ways to get rid of the stretch marks

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I'm sure he stayed out of the gym and just did pushups at home until he got to 200 lbs, then he was allowed to go to the gym. The scared temple of fitness for the beautiful.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NintendosBooger said:

It's one of the main reasons preventing them from losing fat, which is what you asked for in the thread title.

Because head doctors are not prone to making personal judgments. They look at things from a scientific point of view, it kind of goes with the job.

190 is down from 200.

No, you cry and say "WAH WAH WAH, THE FATS ARE PREVENTING ME FROM USING THE EQUIPMENT! WAH, THE TV GUY IS WAY TOO FAT, I CAN'T STAND HIM! I'M GOING TO GO MAKE A THREAD ABOUT IT."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:

You had to ask GAF for help drinking water? :lol :lol :lol

We've got one unhealthy bunch here, don't we?

Why yes, it is unhealthy to spend so much of your time constructing an elaborate web of contempt for everyone who isn't exactly you and then excusing your own pathetic behaviour. It is unhealthy to display a clinical level of inability to socialize. Congratulations!

Tobor said:
Sounds like a favor to everyone else in the gym.

In spite of what you think, I do my research before using the equipment in the gym. I don't go in and do stupid shit that some big folks believe is an effective course to better health. I don't occupy benches to do dinky knee raises, or use the incline benches to perform meaningless stretches.

If you're on these machines, do them the right way and go full throttle. If you can't even bench an olympic bar, get the fuck out. If you can't squat the olympic bar, get the fuck out. Work out these areas at home and when you're ready to hit that next level, come back.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stumpokapow said:
Why yes, it is unhealthy to spend so much of your time constructing an elaborate web of contempt for everyone who isn't exactly you and then excusing your own pathetic behaviour. It is unhealthy to display a clinical level of inability to socialize. Congratulations!
But he's 200lbs now, two hundred! From 125lbs! And when he burns the fat around his midsection he's going to go back up to 190lbs.

How dare you judge him, how dare you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:
If you can't even bench an olympic bar, get the fuck out. If you can't squat the olympic bar, get the fuck out. Work out these areas at home and when you're ready to hit that next level, come back.

If you can't cope with other human beings, do yourself a favour and get the fuck out of society. Work out your psychosis at home and when you're reading to see someone other than yourself without retching, come back.

Tobor

NintendosBooger said:
In spite of what you think, I do my research before using the equipment in the gym. I don't go in and do stupid shit that some big folks believe is an effective course to better health. I don't occupy benches to do dinky knee raises, or use the incline benches to perform meaningless stretches.

If you're on these machines, do them the right way and go full throttle. If you can't even bench an olympic bar, get the fuck out. If you can't squat the olympic bar, get the fuck out. Work out these areas at home and when you're ready to hit that next level, come back.

If you can't show even the most basic human courtesy in this world, get the fuck out.

I agree with the part about people using the machines incorrectly. I hate it when people at the gym are at the power cages and do curls there. wtf man?

And i feel kind of sad whenever i see a fat person. All the shitty insults and stares they have to go trough =(

diffusionx

Gold Member
salva said:
And i feel kind of sad whenever i see a fat person. All the shitty insults and stares they have to go trough =(

No, see, that's so they get serious about losing weight. But when they get serious, they better do it, on their own, in the dark, at their own house, and not talk to anyone else about it or ask anyone for help or encouragement. Only NintendosBooger is allowed to do that.

Torquill

op is either

1) on the roids

2) Just trolling for the stretch mark ads this thread inevitably spawned 100's of.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why don't you buy some gym equipment and work out at home?

I don't think anyone will miss having you around.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NintendosBooger said:
It gets worse. When I go to the gym, I see these fat asses occupying areas and machines designed specifically for serious lifters. .

I want to kick your ass. Asses like you are why some big people do not want to even go to the gym.

Ra\/en

Whenever you ask yourself why so many obese people just keep on living their horrible lifestyle you have to remember something. They didn't just wake up one day as a fat person. They probably had some sort of emotional, socio-economic, childhood or whatever reason for getting to the point they are.

It's easy for somebody like me to say "Well... If i were super fat, I would take the correct steps right away! I would drink loads of water, cut back on fried/fats/simple carbs, and I would go for a long walk every day. And you know what?? I probably WOULD do that. Because I have lived a reasonably healthful lifestyle impressed upon me by my friends, family wife.

I bet Nintendosbooger WOULD take the proper steps to lose weight if he woke up one day as a 250lb dude.

The point is that many of these people have lived a good portion of their lives as a fat person. You have not. It's easy to say you would take the right steps to fitness if you have always been a health-conscious person.

That being said, I still think that there is a certain level of personal responsibility we all have for our own health. Bottom line, if you are obese, it's NOT a healthy way of living your life. Same can be said of smoking, alcohol abuse etc. And light cardio workout is the better option for a fat person anyways.

Big-E

NintendosBooger would leave Charles Dickens speechless. Dickens thought he created the epitome of cold hearted with Ebenezer Scrooge but Scrooge is Mother Teresa in comparison to this guy. Has to be an alt.

Torquill

Fuck gyms. I have a big rooms in my house. I run in those when it's cold/hot out side. I'm not paying to run in place when I can do it for free.

NintendosBooger said:
It gets worse. When I go to the gym, I see these fat asses occupying areas and machines designed specifically for serious lifters.

Ironically enough, serious lifters generally don't use machines (unless rehabilitating from an injury).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NintendosBooger said:

Wow, sorry those people PAYING GYM DUES should not be allowed to use the equpiment because you don't think they can bench like you.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
pnjtony said:
But yeah, it's just laziness and lack of motivation really. Exercise is inconvenient and I own that.
Starting out, exercise feels awful. Doesn't take long before you get used to it tho.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Ace 8095 said:
Because the government has spent the last 30 years telling people to eat a low fat, low calorie diet, and walk 20 minutes every day to achieve "wellness". When people tell me that my whole milk, bacon, and eggs breakfast is unhealthy but precede to eat 2 bagels and drink their juicy juice it's no surprise there are so many fat people. My mother was recently told by a doctor that she should eat a 1,200 calorie diet and cut out all fats to lose weight. His fat ass should try living on the diet he recommends for a few months.

I'm sure you'll be able to take comfort, as your diabetic mother suffers a heart attack and dies in the slowest, most painful way that a human being could ever experience, that her doctor was a fat hypocrite.

Ranger X

Ra\/en said:
Whenever you ask yourself why so many obese people just keep on living their horrible lifestyle you have to remember something. They didn't just wake up one day as a fat person. They probably had some sort of emotional, socio-economic, childhood or whatever reason for getting to the point they are.

It's easy for somebody like me to say "Well... If i were super fat, I would take the correct steps right away! I would drink loads of water, cut back on fried/fats/simple carbs, and I would go for a long walk every day. And you know what?? I probably WOULD do that. Because I have lived a reasonably healthful lifestyle impressed upon me by my friends, family wife.

I bet Nintendosbooger WOULD take the proper steps to lose weight if he woke up one day as a 250lb dude.

The point is that many of these people have lived a good portion of their lives as a fat person. You have not. It's easy to say you would take the right steps to fitness if you have always been a health-conscious person.

That being said, I still think that there is a certain level of personal responsibility we all have for our own health. Bottom line, if you are obese, it's NOT a healthy way of living your life. Same can be said of smoking, alcohol abuse etc. And light cardio workout is the better option for a fat person anyways.

There. Basically what I wanted to post. People not wanting to get to some normal shape simply have issues of their own. They have their reasons.

Crazyorloco

I'm a thin guy, and I have no problem with anyone at the gym. (Fat, Thin, Old, Young, Hairy)

If someone is using a machine I want to use, I just go to another machine and wait until they're done. I don't go to the gym to judge others. I go to do my thang. Seeing everyone working out inspires me.

I burned 10 calories typing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom