• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion 360 - Items for sale (Bring Real Money)

pilonv1

Vyse The Legend said:
Just two, apparently: Elven and Steel.

That's the main issue for me, just not enough content for the price. If they'd thrown something else in there like a new armour set or some weapons I'd be more inclined to download it.

belgurdo

Banned
Pellham said:
can't believe you guys are complaining about $2.50.

We're complaining about paying for piddly-ass additions to a game that will most likely become a business standard for the Live service. $3 for some extra background music tracks or a pack of weapons or something I can see, but not two cosmetic changes for one of the more useless elements of the game

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Vyse The Legend said:
I'm guessing that anyone who does buy the pack will be too afraid to admit it on GAF, for fear of lynching. :lol

It's probably a good thing there's no online co-op then. People with these microtransaction items will be crucified :lol

RegularMK

At this rate, I'd hate to see how much real game-enhancing additions will cost.

Seriously. If horse armor costs that much, how much would a real armor set for the player cost? Or am I naive for expecting a worthwhile purchase like that?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Some people gave me a hard time when I said this sort of thing was going to happen. Lo and behold - it's happening. This is just the beginning I am afraid.

GreekWolf

belgurdo said:
We're complaining about paying for piddly-ass additions to a game that will most likely become a business standard for the Live service. $3 for some extra background music tracks or a pack of weapons or something I can see, but not two cosmetic changes for one of the more useless elements of the game
I'm sure they have a group already working on an expansion pack ( and I'll definitely buy it ), but it would be a nice gesture from Bethesda to add some additional content within the next couple of months, for higher level characters.

It wouldn't even require that much effort. Just bump up the models for a few of the existing creatures and increase their hit points/damage output. You could easily turn a level 14 Brown Bear into a level 30 Grizzly.... and a level 7 Timberwolf into a level 23 Dire Wolf. Maybe a level 35 Skeleton Warlord or two. That would, at least in my opinion, be worth an extra $3 or $4 bucks.

If the Horse Armor Pack had a full range of armor (down from the worst to daedric) for the same price that would be fine, but for 2 sets of armor it's ridiculous.

Just a heads up, when you install the armor pack (Shit yeah, I bought it.)
it basically adds a new quest, you go to the stable in Imperial City
and you get either Elven or Steel free, but only the first time. Every other time you want to outfit another horse, it's 500 Gold. So basically you're paying $2.50 for the gaming concept of Horse Armor and one free test drive of it.

I bought the thing and even I think that's pretty ridiculous.

But, I don't really see the point in being "principled" about this sort of thing. If PGR3 is a $50 experience, Oblivion easily teeters on the brink of $100. So I won't start complaining until the Marketplace loot crests $30.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
But, I don't really see the point in being "principled" about this sort of thing. If PGR3 is a $50 experience, Oblivion easily teeters on the brink of $100. So I won't start complaining until the Marketplace loot crests $30.

I'm teetering on smacking you upside the head ;) :lol

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm teetering on smacking you upside the head ;) :lol

While I definitely agree that this price:value ratio is pretty bad, you need to relax. Every time someone wants to spend their money on something extra, you flip out (i.e. that thread you had on paying $10 more for the Collector edition, which was a good value).

Anyway, Pete said a long time ago that the pack would be a couple of bucks. Lo and behold, he was right so I'm not complaining. Maybe now the daedra knights won't waste my horse so quickly. :lol

mikeGFG

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
..Collectors edition, which was a good value.l

I paid $45 for it, and I still felt ripped off. I expected some of that extra cash to go towards a next-gen cloth map.. not some worthless packaging. :eek:

pilonv1

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just a heads up, when you install the armor pack (Shit yeah, I bought it.)
it basically adds a new quest, you go to the stable in Imperial City
and you get either Elven or Steel free, but only the first time. Every other time you want to outfit another horse, it's 500 Gold. So basically you're paying $2.50 for the gaming concept of Horse Armor and one free test drive of it.

I bought the thing and even I think that's pretty ridiculous.

Agreed, that's hilarious if true. PAY REAL MONEY TO PAY FAKE MONEY FOR ARMOUR. Tremendous.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
While I definitely agree that this price:value ratio is pretty bad, you need to relax. Every time someone wants to spend their money on something extra, you flip out (i.e. that thread you had on paying $10 more for the Collector edition, which was a good value).

Take it easy. He's a friend on my friends list in Xbox Live. I'm sure he knows I am kidding. Notice the ;) and :lol?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Mike G.E.D. said:
I paid $45 for it, and I still felt ripped off. I expected some of that extra cash to go towards a next-gen cloth map.. not some worthless packaging. :eek:

collins-here-we-go-lg.jpg

Dr_Cogent said:
Take it easy. He's a friend on my friends list in Xbox Live. I'm sure he knows I am kidding. Notice the ;) and :lol?

Yeah, but I mean in general. You probably have the most posts in this thread. :lol We get it already, you hate this idea. =P

I still <3 you Cogey. :D

Fusebox

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Some people gave me a hard time when I said this sort of thing was going to happen. Lo and behold - it's happening. This is just the beginning I am afraid.

And if this was some kind of essential patch or if it was compulsory you'd almost be able to go back and tell those people you told them so, as it stands though just don't click that "buy horse armour" and everything will be gravy.

Fusebox said:
And if this was some kind of essential patch or if it was compulsory you'd almost be able to go back and tell those people you told them so, as it stands though just don't click that "buy horse armour" and everything will be gravy.

I agree, with a caveat. Yes, you can choose not to buy the download, and that is that. But future downloads may not be so passive. Imagine a multiplayer game for which you can buy a kick-ass weapon -- for $5 extra. In such a case, not paying the extra $5 puts you at a disadvantage and devalues your original purchase of the game itself. Is such a scenario out of the question?

Regardless, we're all gamers here, and we play for the experience. Many of us play games to utter completion. Do you really want to have SUPERCOOL content (not that this qualifies) withheld from your $60 game so they can sell it to your sorry, addicted ass later?

Yeah, I got nothing but love for the Doc.

And if I didn't get smacked for the Horse Armor, I'd surely get one for the like dozens of themes and Game-O-Pix I've bought.

GhaleonEB

ghostlyjoe said:
I agree, with a caveat. Yes, you can choose not to buy the download, and that is that. But future downloads may not be so passive. Imagine a multiplayer game for which you can buy a kick-ass weapon -- for $5 extra. In such a case, not paying the extra $5 puts you at a disadvantage and devalues your original purchase of the game itself. Is such a scenario out of the question?

Regardless, we're all gamers here, and we play for the experience. Many of us play games to utter completion. Do you really want to have SUPERCOOL content (not that this qualifies) withheld from your $60 game so they can sell it to your sorry, addicted ass later?
I agree with your scenario above. I would hope that the matchmaking systems would only match players that have acess to the same weapon/feature sets.

As for this - it's been alluded to, but I don't think Bethesda can be accused of not packing enough content into Oblivion. The game is absolutely ginomous. I think this add-on is a complete rip-off, but I don't think they stripped content out to do it. And even if they did (which they've denied) then the core game is still a great value for what it provides.

So I don't think the worst-case scenario of having key content cut from a game and then sold to us as hugely inflated prices has come to pass. Yet.

xabre

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It's been confirmed at two, just the two shown. (Called Elven and Steel, apparantly.)

That's just plain shit, no doubt about it. When I first read 'horse armour' I figured they'd offer a package of about 12 pieces or something in various materials, i.e. daedric, glass, drawven etc.

But no, you get two lousy pieces. Very poor form.

Sho Nuff

Banned
After spending $59.99 for this? Ahahahahaha! No.

Oh wait! I spent $39.99 for it at Play-Asia! That gives me an extra $20! I'll spend that on blackjack and hookers instead!

On secont thought, screw the blackjack!

MrDaravon

Sho Nuff said:

Oh wait! I spent $39.99 for it at Play-Asia! That gives me an extra $20! I'll spend that on blackjack and hookers instead!

What if you play strip poker with the hookers?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'd like to make one thing clear against the straw man defense of this...I'm not against free markets or decent deals for gamers. Just because they have the freedom to offer this bad deal, and we have the freedom to pass on it, we also have the freedom to talk against it, especially in gamer forums and other places where we can convince others tell Bethesda that it takes away from their great game by offering such tacky "deals" to gamers. We support your game by talking about how great it is, you deserve to be called out on shoddy marketing shit.

Harmonica

Well, the steel armor looks pretty cool, the elven armor looks too much like bananas.

I don't regret spending the money, I guess. The idea that I bought horse armor in a video game for 2 dollars and 50 cents is kind of depressing, though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sho Nuff said:

[OT]
Argh, I need my Futurama fix! Fox, you are SO Fuckin' lame... Futurama is arguably the best piece of comedy as animated series get since The Simpsons season 5!

GhaleonEB

Musashi Wins! said:
I'd like to make one thing clear against the straw man defense of this...I'm not against free markets or decent deals for gamers. Just because they have the freedom to offer this bad deal, and we have the freedom to pass on it, we also have the freedom to talk against it, especially in gamer forums and other places where we can convince others tell Bethesda that it takes away from their great game by offering such tacky "deals" to gamers. We support your game by talking about how great it is, you deserve to be called out on shoddy marketing shit.
flag-animated.gif

Brannon

One week, tops.

HA! You're being too generous, sir. Already there is probably group of people out there making 10 different sets of horse AND unicorn armor and the spell to turn that unicorn into a pegasus.

Probably.

It's a good idea you uber-Oblivion modders, you may take it from me THIS I DECLARE PUBLICLY.

KillJade

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:

score.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Fusebox said:

No, actually I said many things, and one of which was that developers were going to try to nickel and dime us to death with piddly ass crap like this. Hell, and this isn't even nickel and dime! It's in the realm of dollars when it should be less than a buck.

Musashi Wins! said:

Agreed 100%

I'm tempted to blow those free Verizon points on this simply because there aren't any 400 pt XBLA games I can see myself playing. On the other hand, I'm equally as tempted to go waste my points on Robotron or something so I'm not tempted by this stupid shit.

I want Marble Blast, but that shizz is expensive.

jedimike

Marketplace content is here to stay. What developers need to do is find the value to price point. Judging from most of the responses in this thread, Bethesda completely missed the mark and charged way too much for way too little. The system (marketplace content) is in it's infancy though and I expect a lot of trial and error.

Eventually, things will even out. I also think that maybe Take 2 has a bigger role in this then they should. When a publisher funds a game, they want a take in the proceeds which probably includes marketplace content. So out of that $2.50, MS, Take 2, and Bethesda are all trying to get a piece of the pie.

So future contracts between developer and publisher should be worded such that the publisher shouldn't receive royalties on marketplace content unless that content was made on the publishers dollar (which I believe the horse armor was).

That way developers aren't inclined to intentionally leave content out of the final game and publishers aren't looking for money off of the minimal revenue from selling marketplace content.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
GhaleonEB said:
I agree with your scenario above. I would hope that the matchmaking systems would only match players that have acess to the same weapon/feature sets.
What happens to ranked games then? Do the rankings then get segregated into the haves and have-nots? Or would that force all such content updates to remain purely cosmetic?

Musashi Wins! said:
...tell Bethesda that it takes away from their great game by offering such tacky "deals" to gamers. We support your game by talking about how great it is, you deserve to be called out on shoddy marketing shit.
Esp. when some of us are dealing with very ropey framerates and total system freezes every 3-4 hrs of playtime. These have been things I've personally been willing to give Bethesda a free pass on for the most part, since everything else is so incredible. But I'm suddenly less inclined to do that when I see that Bethesda's immediate, post-launch priorities are elsewhere.

Bethesda, maybe when you guys get done milking the zealous fans, you'll get around to seeing what you can do about a patch for some of us?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
kaching said:
Bethesda, maybe when you guys get done milking the zealous fans, you'll get around to seeing what you can do about a patch for some of us?

I'm willing to bet there will be absolutely no patches for the game.

Zep

Banned
m0dus said:
This is the kind of issue that really doesn't need a 4-5 page thread. I don't think the issue is necessarily whether or not this is fair for the price--$2.50 is less than I spend on coffee in the morning. I expect the most significant thing we can do to voice our dissatisfaction is to simply not purchase this content, and leave it at that.

And if you really want mods, go ahead and buy the PC version. :)

Hey! look whos back.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
m0dus said:
I expect the most significant thing we can do to voice our dissatisfaction is to simply not purchase this content, and leave it at that.
Nah, silence just lets the marketing/sales dept. off the hook to think it didn't sell for other reasons - poor placement on the marketplace, not enough advertising, the armor styles just weren't appealing, people don't use horses in the game, etc.

Jim

Dr_Cogent said:

obliv_orrery_pcstore2.jpg

Orrery - DLC2
Harness the power of the stars. Rebuild the defiled Orrery and unlock the secrets of this Mages Guild Inner Sanctum.
$1.99 - Coming Soon

obliv_wiztower_pcstore2.jpg

Wizard's Tower - DLC3
In the frozen mountains of Cyrodiil stands Frostcrag Spire, a tower of wonders for your magic-oriented character to call home.
$1.99 - Coming Soon

(PC versions listed above)

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Jim said:
http://obliviondownloads.com/images/product/obliv_orrery_pcstore2.jpg
Orrery - DLC2
Harness the power of the stars. Rebuild the defiled Orrery and unlock the secrets of this Mages Guild Inner Sanctum.
$1.99 - Coming Soon

http://obliviondownloads.com/images/product/obliv_wiztower_pcstore2.jpg
Wizard's Tower - DLC3
In the frozen mountains of Cyrodiil stands Frostcrag Spire, a tower of wonders for your magic-oriented character to call home.
$1.99 - Coming Soon

That's the PC version, but I am sure that it will be available on the Xbox 360 as well.

PhatSaqs

Banned
kaching said:
Nah, silence just lets the marketing/sales dept. off the hook to think it didn't sell for other reasons - poor placement on the marketplace, not enough advertising, the armor styles just weren't appealing, people don't use horses in the game, etc.
And if management buys that shit and lets them try it "differently" with similar results then what?

Just dont buy the shit if you dont like it. I know I wont.

Top Bottom