• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion 360 - Items for sale (Bring Real Money)

Unison

I'd have to problem paying $2.50 for a new line of quests or something.

$2.50 for a useless item is a slap in the face.

Unison said:
Shadowmere.

You get it upon completion of one of the guild quests.

Yeah, my wife has that one. She got the armor too but it seems like it's just cosmetic for Ol' Satan's Machine (as we've taken to calling it).

I have to say, the new Locales look pretty dope. I'm addicted to filling up the blank spaces on my map with all the forts and caves and shit, so this is welcome.

Razoric

Banned
It does seem odd that in a game that has tons of items they would charge you $2.50 for ONE piece. Now if you could buy like 20 new items for $2.50 I wouldnt see the problem. Shit like this isn't good... and is pretty much what I feared would be happening with all this pay to download junk.

Sony releasing GT4 with 600 cars
Sony releasing GT4 with 500 cars + 100 to download.

What option would you choose if you were a publisher/dev?
I really don't like the way this may be going.

Musashi Wins! said:
I'd like to make one thing clear against the straw man defense of this...I'm not against free markets or decent deals for gamers. Just because they have the freedom to offer this bad deal, and we have the freedom to pass on it, we also have the freedom to talk against it, especially in gamer forums and other places where we can convince others tell Bethesda that it takes away from their great game by offering such tacky "deals" to gamers. We support your game by talking about how great it is, you deserve to be called out on shoddy marketing shit.

I can remember Microsoft saying that Marketplace is subject to the normal rules of economics. So when demand is high/low the prices can be shuffled around accordingly. It's a shame that voting with our wallets won't work in this case. There are just too much addicts that will buy every single item. That defies the whole free market principle that Marketplace supposedly is.

I guess that forums and other places are the only way to go.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Phatsaqs said:
And if management buys that shit and lets them try it "differently" with similar results then what?
Then maybe management decides that additional content downloads just aren't worth the time - or did you really think the only possible realization they can come to is that they need to price DLC cheaper?

PhatSaqs said:
Just dont buy the shit if you dont like it. I know I wont.
I won't be, but I don't see a problem in speaking my mind about it either.

Like you, Phat, I tend to think we'll reach a satisfying equilibrium in this new commerce trend for consoles but, unlike you, I don't have enough faith in these people to figure it out on their own just on my patterns of buy/no buy.

Vashu

Wow, what? You have to pay for those additions to the game now? Even for the PC version? :lol

So long Bethesda, it was fun playing your games, but you ain't getting shit outta me. Goodbye!

Small updates to games were called mods or upgrades, they were usually free and now they pull shit like this. Gone are the days of keeping your fans as your fans, now the only fan they want is their wallet.

Vashu said:
Wow, what? You have to pay for those additions to the game now? Even for the PC version? :lol

So long Bethesda, it was fun playing your games, but you ain't getting shit outta me. Goodbye!

:lol

You people make me laugh.

Vashu

Sal Paradise Jr said:
:lol

You people make me laugh.

Well, it's apparent I chose the option of not buying their stuff. If it were full expansion packs I would do it (I have Morrowind and both expansion packs), but come on, 2 dollars for 2 pieces of armor is quite lame.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:

Publishers: Release with 200 Cars, and make a few 100 car packs available as "extras"

Developers: Who knows?

I think there is every reason to vent publicly about this as well as choosing not to buy/download, poor sales may affect future bundling of DLC packages, but I'm sure that both poor sales AND very vocal dissatisfaction would have more of an effect personally. Good will does have a value when it comes to a devs/publishers future sales.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
PjotrStroganov said:

It works both ways...

What would you prefer?

GT with 500 cars in november 2007 with 100 cars to download/win through 2008
GT with 600 cars in June 2008 with no planned extra content?

Id rather have the game X months earlier and choose whether or not i want to pay extra for the downloadable cars than wait 6 months for 100 cars i might never use.

Yes it will cost the consumer more, but theres more factors than just cost in the model. Some games, like Mechassault 2 will abuse the system by having content on the disc then charging to unlock it but theres also a lot of developers who will be able to utilize their experience in developing for a certain game to carry on developing after its shipped to offer new stuff to people who have enjoyed it. Like Bethesda are doing with these extras, like Bioware are planning to do with their additional content inbetween the 3 chapters of Mass Effect to fill in the gaps.

There were a fair few games I played last gen that i loved but just wished there was more of it, the way these features are being drummed into early 360 games gives me a lot of hope that it will be a standard feature of next gen titles on all systems. Yes it has its downsides, namely price, but there are positives as well for anyone who falls in love with a particular title.

Unison

In Bethesda's defense, I can't say I blame them for setting the price high and the amount of content low to see if the market will bear it.

Gamers are stupid when it comes to spending money. The majority of you goons paid an extra ten dollars for the Oblivion Collector's Edition. :lol

You people are sending mixed messages.

Razoric

Banned
Ghost said:
It works both ways...

What would you prefer?

Id rather have the game X months earlier and choose whether or not i want to pay extra for the downloadable cars than wait 6 months for 100 cars i might never use.

Yes it will cost the consumer more, but theres more factors than just cost in the model. Some games, like Mechassault 2 will abuse the system by having content on the disc then charging to unlock it but theres also a lot of developers who will be able to utilize their experience in developing for a certain game to carry on developing after its shipped to offer new stuff to people who have enjoyed it. Like Bethesda are doing with these extras, like Bioware are planning to do with their additional content inbetween the 3 chapters of Mass Effect to fill in the gaps.

There were a fair few games I played last gen that i loved but just wished there was more of it, the way these features are being drummed into early 360 games gives me a lot of hope that it will be a standard feature of next gen titles on all systems. Yes it has its downsides, namely price, but there are positives as well.

I agree that DLC has a lot of GOOD potential. I think a lot of people do. Just in this instance (a piece of armor for $2.50) is laughable at best. They could've released an "armor pack" and been fine, IMO.

But like I said, I agree with you. One game that comes to mind for me would be a fighting game like Mortal Kombat (or insert fighting game here). Imagine 6-8 months after release them releasing a "fatality pack" or "5 new character pack" or new stages, etc. I'd def buy things like that to breathe new life in an older game... instead of just shelving them forever like I currently do.

Bethesda is testing the waters. Don't buy it. If people are dumb enough to pay $2.50 for horse armor, other publishers will follow suit.

SonnyBoy

They're simply offering too little for too much and the item isn't much more than decoration. Maybe my g/f would by this if this was a "my little pony" game but other than that this extra gets a F.

Unison said:
In Bethesda's defense, I can't say I blame them for setting the price high and the amount of content low to see if the market will bear it.

Gamers are stupid when it comes to spending money. The majority of you goons paid an extra ten dollars for the Oblivion Collector's Edition. :lol

You people are sending mixed messages.

I got the collector's version for $61.64 due to the deal I found at overstock.com (the game was $68.49, and I found a 10% off coupon AND a free shipping coupon). It ended up costing less for me than the standard version would have at retail, after factoring tax ($65.01).

I try to get as much out of my money as I can and the DLC that's been shown thus far certainly isn't a good value for me.

Ghost said:
It works both ways...

What would you prefer?

I could live with that. I am more worried about the possibility that content is going to be withheld from games deliberately for purchase online.

Good point. Shadowmere is godly strong. He kills stuff faster than my tricked out warrior. He comes back from the dead too.

(though he did disappear on one of my characters... maybe I should check back at Fort Farragut)

Xenon

For me the money isn't that big of a deal, for now anyway. The main problem I have is I would rather have this thrown in with a a major update. I don't think these small updates will have as much value if they are released by themselves.

This reminds me of Sonic Team and PSO. They tried to justify the monthly fee by tossing their users a bone every now and then.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
m0dus said:
This is the kind of issue that really doesn't need a 4-5 page thread. I don't think the issue is necessarily whether or not this is fair for the price--$2.50 is less than I spend on coffee in the morning. I expect the most significant thing we can do to voice our dissatisfaction is to simply not purchase this content, and leave it at that.

And if you really want mods, go ahead and buy the PC version. :)

Whoops, look like somebody missed this:
Musashi Wins! said:
I'd like to make one thing clear against the straw man defense of this...I'm not against free markets or decent deals for gamers. Just because they have the freedom to offer this bad deal, and we have the freedom to pass on it, we also have the freedom to talk against it, especially in gamer forums and other places where we can convince others tell Bethesda that it takes away from their great game by offering such tacky "deals" to gamers. We support your game by talking about how great it is, you deserve to be called out on shoddy marketing shit.

hyp

some of you need to get jobs, really.

who gives a fuck if bethesda is charging for horse armor. it's an option for people that have the money. OPTIONS people, options. if you really care about your damned horse, spend $3.00. if not, then just admire the screenshots. or go and spend that $3.00 on a value meal at mcdonalds.

$3.00 is the new 25 cents.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
hyp said:
some of you need to get jobs, really.

who gives a fuck if bethesda is charging for horse armor. it's an option for people that have the money. OPTIONS people, options. if you really care about your damned horse, spend $3.00. if not, then just admire the screenshots. or go and spend that $3.00 on a value meal at mcdonalds.

$3.00 is the new 25 cents.

:lol at being told to get a job.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ghost said:
It works both ways...

What would you prefer?

2008 thanks, better chance of a more optimized game too ;).

Juice

This fiasco has reminded/convinced me that I'm going to buy the PC version as opposed to the Xbox one so that i can keep enjoying the game years from now thanks to free mods.

It's really that simple.

http://www.evilavatar.com/

bapenguin: It seems there's been quite a bit of backlash from the $2.50 horse armor skins. What's your take on it?

Pete Hines: Honestly there's not a lot of info out there for us to go on. We tried to find a spot for it that fit with what other things were out there. A Theme costs 150 points. The Kameo thing was 200. We're trying to find the right spot that fits. How much is something you can use in the game worth versus a gamer picture pack, or a theme, and so on.

So because someone else put some worthless content up and charged for it, they had no choice but to do the same?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Juice said:
This fiasco has reminded/convinced me that I'm going to buy the PC version as opposed to the Xbox one so that i can keep enjoying the game years from now thanks to free mods.

It's really that simple.

True, but Bethesda is still charging on the PC side for these very same things.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Managed to get some follow-up from Bethesda...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149299

"We're not going to make any knee-jerk decisions based on it [the armor] being available for five hours. We'll see what folks think and put out a few others we have planned and figure out where to go from there," says VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines. "Some folks seem excited and are already using it, others don't want it. Maybe those folks will really want the Orrery, or the Wizard's Tower. We'll see when they come out and use that info to determine what we put out, how much, etc."

Also of note, why they're charging now vs. Morrowind...

There's a reason for that, they say, and the reasoning appears to fall on the cost of development. "Different game, different approach to downloadable content and the size and scope of things we want to do, and what it takes to do them," says Hines.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Bethesda is testing the waters. Don't buy it. If people are dumb enough to pay $2.50 for horse armor, other publishers will follow suit.
QFT.

I'll be waiting for the inevitable "blue light special". I have to believe that as a game's popularity wanes, DLC for that game with be reduced in price. As a crude example, take the Halo 2 Map Pack . . . available initially at retail for a given price, and then released months later as freely downloadable content.

Two sets of horse armor and that's it? My purchase price will be .50 to .75 USD, if not free.

IJoel

eXxy said:
Managed to get some follow-up from Bethesda...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149299

Also of note, why they're charging now vs. Morrowind...

Bah... they are charging now because there's a precedent for such things. I mean, for crying out loud, we're being charged for goddamned avatars. How ridiculous is that? We need to get Mark Rein from Epic to comment on all this BS. I'll buy UT2K7 on both 360 (or PS3, whatever they do,) and PC to support them. These guys at least release tons of extra content for their games for free. I hope this doesn't change about them.

For the record, I support microtransactions when they provide meaningful content. An avatar, screenshot or some stupid horse armor certainly doesn't count as meaningful in my book. What's more aggravating is that those themes (not avatars, as I undertand the reasoning behind the restriction here) would be worthless if MS didn't limit the user when setting their custom backgrounds (so much for MAKE YOUR 360 YOUR OWN!)

GhaleonEB

"Some folks seem excited and are already using it, others don't want it. Maybe those folks will really want the Orrery, or the Wizard's Tower. We'll see when they come out and use that info to determine what we put out, how much, etc."

When asked to elaborate on what players can expect from the teased Orrery or Wizard's Tower releases, they wouldn't comment, only promising more information should be released shortly. From their comments, though, don't be surprised if the next release isn't a little more substantial than two pieces of armor to avoid further player complaints.
Okay, Bethesda. Your move. The Wizard's Tower sounds interesting.

GhaleonEB

GhaleonEB said:
Okay, Bethesda. Your move. The Wizard's Tower sounds interesting.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=348450

The Orrery
The Orrery allows you to help the Mages Guild of Cyrodiil repair the Imperial Orrery, an ancient dwarven machine with mystical properties. Bandits have stolen a shipment of parts destined for the Arcane University; if you can return them, the Orrery will function once more.

Features

* A new, full-featured quest, including dialogue, journals, and rewards
* Access to the Imperial Orrery in the Arcane University, an incredible mechanical marvel
* New powers available for your character based on the phases of the moons

We hope to have The Orrery available for purchase next week. This plugin will cost 150pts on Xbox, and $1.89 on the PC. The Horse Armor Pack has been very popular, and exceeded what we thought it would sell. Despite that, we’re still trying to find the right spot, so we’re putting a much larger plugin out for less than the last one and we'll see what happens. Your feedback as we move forward in this is invaluable. Tell us what you want to see, how much of it, and what it might be worth to you. No, don’t say you want it free, because these plugins take a surprising amount of time to create, polish, and test (much more then Morrowind's).

I approve. 150 points for a new quest and abilities is much more reasonable. I'll buy this. Posted by SteveMiester in the official thread.

Leonsito

Who cares about horses armors, a Spanish patch is critical neccesary, the translation is "googleish", and I think that there are problems with the others European versions too.

RoH

Pellham said:
can't believe you guys are complaining about $2.50.

I agree with this guy. Why are you complaining about this price point? This has been irking me since people started making a big fuss over it, this is simply extra content you as the consumer can purchase if you choose to. I see people waste more money on junk food, fancy shoelaces and other things why not if you choose to on a game?... If you do not think the armor or any other items on XBL is worth it do not buy it. Can some one tell me why we as gamers are so spoiled to believe every thing must absurdly cheap or free? We want free content, free updates, free servers but I believe and rightly so that somewhere along the chain from production to the end user that some one has to pay for the content. Be it a $30 expansion 6 months down the road or a $3.00 download 3 weeks from launch. Any way its just $3.00 I've squandered more than that nachos and a drink at the movies.

Top Bottom