• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Cheezus

It feels insane that we have to choose between 2 candidates with negative approval ratings. Dynasty or demagogue.

I remember feeling this way about GW. I voted green

Then we pissed away a generation of the lives of the people who fight for my right to vote in endless, meaningless wars and almost bankrupted the country.

Now I believe in realpolitik. These elections have consequences. Fight against cynicism, I'd urge you to not drop out.

This. So much this. You'll almost never have a candidate you agree with 100% on everything, but it is much better to use each election to vote in the direction you want to go than to withhold voting unless you get 100% of the way there in one election.

Tygamr

Wow, fuck this guy so much. I'm never going anywhere near an Oculus Rift now. Hope they fire his ass. "I'll fly my jet a minute less." Fuck off with that.

Never really like him much to be honest. He always seemed kind of weird. And he has horrific fashion sense.

BajiBoxer

Banned
But those are her tweets, not his. I've dated some space cadets. One time I picked up a girl at a concert and when she undressed I saw she had an "88" tattoo.

Speaking of which, how do we know that is his "girlfriend" at all? There's a lot of hearsay going on here. I fucked Ms. "88" tattoo. Is she my "girlfriend"?

He's been dating her for years and they live together.

tumblr_inline_o7dyj3FlJu1ql4omn_500.gif

Stiler

I'm confused, I read the article, basically he donated to a group that's promoting Trump and things?

So because he's doing that everyone is jumping on him and saying facebook should fire him?

I mean, I don't like Trump (Or Hillary) for that matter (wish Bernie would've been given a fair chance) but seriously this topic seems really really stretching it, unless I somehow missed something.

There's a lot of people voting for Trump, do you all think they should lose their jobs/livelihood as well because they like the person you don't like?

Did you miss the part where he started an organization that was vetted by milo yiannopoulos?

"NimbleRichMan is a near Billionaire and staunch supporter of the Common Sense Conservative movement. He is co-founder along with D.B. Purple and our third silent partner. Milo Yiannopoulos has personally vetted NimbleRichMan and the Non-Profit Nimble America, Inc. he helped create. NimbleRichMan will continue to guide Nimble America as its Vice-President."

Okay, if you were quoting from the article then I think they are editing it as we type because I'm not even seeing the name D.B. Purple in it now.

But from what I do see, he wasn't the founder. On the contrary, the founders gave him the password to that account:
The 24-year-old told The Daily Beast that he had used the pseudonym “NimbleRichMan” on Reddit with a password given him to by the organization’s founders.

You still don't get it.

If a voter says "I'm voting for Trump primarily because he isn't Hillary! I hate Hillary! I'm not racist, though. I'm not voting for Trump specifically for his racist views!" that doesn't exempt them from the fact that they are enabling a racist by voting for him.

You are saying that you prefer/find his brand of racism/bigotry over Hillary. Your opinion has nothing to do with it.

Haha, wtf?! No.

Iksenpets

Banned
Awesome and if that is true, and that is what you believe in make your voice heard. If Hillary getting elected is going to have that huge of an impact than more power to you to vote for her. I don't begrudge anyone for voting for her, and in comparison to Trump its pretty damn obvious where the majority of this country should be voting.

However I can only speak to my personal life and my personal vote. Part of true freedom is making your voice heard. For you in your situation in life it is vitally important Hillary wins. It makes perfect sense you would vote for her.

For me, and my life and where I live, neither candidate remotely represents my position. Sure my voice is small, but I do believe in standing up for what you believe in, and neither one of them are people I would want to lead me. If I was in a foxhole I wouldn't trust either with my life. I would lead them.

So you recognize Trump is a danger to some people, but that's just not your problem? You care more about feeling that your views are represented than you do about those people's wellbeing?

Have they edited the article? I could have sworn the first time I read it I saw it say that Facebook has not responded to a request for comment by press time, now it says Palmer hasn't. I also thought it said in the article that Facebook does not currently work with Palmer.

Yes. I still have the original page up.

Facebook, which does not currently employ Luckey, did not respond to requests for comment by press time.

I assume the edit was partly because that info isn't correct and Facebook does employ him as has been stated several times in this thread.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm confused, I read the article, basically he donated to a group that's promoting Trump and things?

So because he's doing that everyone is jumping on him and saying facebook should fire him?

I mean, I don't like Trump (Or Hillary) for that matter (wish Bernie would've been given a fair chance) but seriously this topic seems really really stretching it, unless I somehow missed something.

There's a lot of people voting for Trump, do you all think they should lose their jobs/livelihood as well because they like the person you don't like?

People have been physically attacked for expressing their support for Trump. This isn't very surprising.

Branduil

Awesome and if that is true, and that is what you believe in make your voice heard. If Hillary getting elected is going to have that huge of an impact than more power to you to vote for her. I don't begrudge anyone for voting for her, and in comparison to Trump its pretty damn obvious where the majority of this country should be voting.

However I can only speak to my personal life and my personal vote. Part of true freedom is making your voice heard. For you in your situation in life it is vitally important Hillary wins. It makes perfect sense you would vote for her.

For me, and my life and where I live, neither candidate remotely represents my position. Sure my voice is small, but I do believe in standing up for what you believe in, and neither one of them are people I would want to lead me. If I was in a foxhole I wouldn't trust either with my life. I would lead them.
Not voting isn't standing up for what you believe in, it's saying you don't give a shit what happens and have the privilege to ignore it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

He's financially supporting white supremecists who also support Trump.

Tumalu

The claim that this is Palmer Luckey seems suspicious. Particularly this part:
I encouraged him to run in the last election, but the overwhelming power, resources, and institutional advantages available to a sitting President made it almost impossible.
Realistically, Trump would have had to get into the 2012 presidential race by late 2011 or early 2012. That was before the Oculus Kickstarter when Palmer was pretty much a nobody. I believe he was working on a journalism major at the time. The idea that some random college student would be "encouraging" Donald Trump to get into the race just seems a bit odd.

None of this refutes the claim that he's supporting Trump now, but at the very least, if the above post was really written by Palmer, it sounds like a work of fiction.

Tagyhag

Apparently you missed all the pictures in this thread.

I don't think he should lose his job just because he's a Trump supporter.

But people are allowed to speak their mind with their wallets, and if they don't want to give money to someone, they should be allowed to.

So you recognize Trump is a danger to some people, but that's just not your problem? You care more about feeling that your views are represented than you do about those people's wellbeing?

Nah I suppose I'm just putting more faith into this country than maybe I should. I hoping that this country isn't foolish or insane enough to put someone like Trump into office.

Honestly the fact that America is a 2 party system is terrifying and inevitably leads to cases such as this.

Not voting isn't standing up for what you believe in, it's saying you don't give a shit what happens and have the privilege to ignore it.

And thus the country continues to trapped into the 2 party, privately run, system. We are forever trapped into an "Us vs Them" system that both Republican and Dems are more than happy to keep going instead of providing a variety of qualified candidates.

Kinsei

Banned
Disgusting. Oculus won't be seeing a cent from me in the future.

That's a lot of words to say "Fuck you, I got mine."

Seiru

Banned
Why would Luckey have used a fake account to conceal all this, and then let The Daily Beast (of all places) know that it's him?

Apparently you missed all the pictures in this thread.

I don't think he should lose his job just because he's a Trump supporter.

But people are allowed to speak their mind with their wallets, and if they don't want to give money to someone, they should be allowed to.
The issue isn't that he's a Trump supporter. It's that he donated to Nimble America, a group known for its white supremacist rhetoric. His public comments only add fuel to the fire that he knows exactly what he's doing.

Dai101

Banned

Well, is not only just not liking that person. Is just that that person is a white supremacist, xenophobic, racist, misogynist, bigoted person that is also enabling and empowering white supremacists, xenophobics, racists, misogynists, bigots and their ilk.

Yes. I still have the original page up.

So they are editing the article, and not small shit either but some big fucking information that was originally posted.

This isn't looking good. I have no problem with motherfuckers getting exposed but c'mon dailybeast, get your shit straight before you come forward with a big story like this, you can get sued for that shit.

redcrayon

The claim that this is Palmer Luckey seems suspicious. Particularly this part:

Realistically, Trump would have had to get into the 2012 presidential race by late 2011 or early 2012. That was before the Oculus Kickstarter when Palmer was pretty much a nobody. I believe he was working on a journalism major at the time. The idea that some random college student would be "encouraging" Donald Trump to get into the race just seems a bit odd.

None of this refutes the claim that he's supporting Trump now, but at the very least, if the above post was really written by Palmer, it sounds like a work of fiction.
I agree, this reads more like a pre-written template for wealthy donors to influence their contacts, with little specific information. Doesn't mean he didn't put it out there, but I don't think it was written by him.

dugdug

Banned
I read the article, who's the white supremacists? It doesn't mention that in the article or anything about racism.

Maybe you missed this part?

Along with Luckey, Nimble America was founded by two moderators of Reddit’s r/The_Donald, which helped popularize Trump-themed white supremacist and anti-Semitic memes along with 4Chan and 8Chan. A questionnaire to become a moderator at r/The_Donald posted in March had applicants answer the questions “Is there a difference between white nationalism and white supremacy?” and “Was 9/11 an inside job?”

Disgusting. Oculus won't be seeing a cent from me in the future.

That's a lot of words to say "Fuck you, I got mine."

Uh huh. Not what I'm saying

Dear god I can't wait for this cycle to end. This country was never founded with the intention that we would devolve into 2 private clubs battling one another for the strongest superpower in the world.

Basically the American citizenship is being held ransom by 2 massively rich corporations.

Gotta think Facebook drops the oculus names soon and does a relaunch with different branding. The internet isn't going to forget this.

tuxfool

Banned
Can we move this to the "Off Topic" section, please...?

This is going to get obscenely political quickly in a time I simply could not be more angry with my two choices.

#PleaseNoTurdSandwichOrGiantDouche

You're not required to enter the thread.

Seiru

Banned
A valid point indeed!

At the same time, if it wasn't him, Palmer would probably have tweeted so by now. Or maybe he's talking to his lawyers?

I don't know. This story sounds real damn weird, but if this is actually Luckey, he needs to step down from Oculus.

b3d6375582b72abf9431ed19b587027d.jpg

Even just the fact that he pals around with "Fat people at the gym must be shamed" Milo would be a dealbreaker for me. But Palmer Luckey has been using the money gained from creating Oculus to fund a white supremacist presidential candidate who advocates committing war crimes and believes climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese. What more is there to say, really?

besada

Banned

Dear god I can't wait for this cycle to end. This country was never founded with the intention that we would devolve into 2 private clubs battling one another for the strongest superpower in the world.

Basically the American citizenship is being held ransom by 2 massively rich corporations.

That's because the founding fathers didn't understand voting systems. First past the post always devolves into a two party system. So, in a sense, we were designed exactly for that, they just didn't know they were designing it for that.

The question is, once you know that America is a two party system, what sort of responsibility do you as a citizen have to engage with one of the two parties, since engaging with a non major party will not achieve any goals you have.

Iksenpets

Banned
Nah I suppose I'm just putting more faith into this country than maybe I should. I hoping that this country isn't foolish or insane enough to put someone like Trump into office.

Honestly the fact that America is a 2 party system is terrifying and inevitably leads to cases such as this.

And thus the country continues to trapped into the 2 party, privately run, system. We are forever trapped into an "Us vs Them" system that both Republican and Dems are more than happy to keep going instead of providing a variety of qualified candidates.

Like, I think you're probably right, but that still amounts to declaring it to be everyone else's problem and washing your hands of it.

Branduil

Hillary is qualified; you just don't like her.

You recognize that one candidate is a legit threat to minorities and that neither candidate will hurt you in the long run but you don't want to vote for the candidate that is actively trying to help out minoriites. The political game isn't perfect but these are our choices and one of them gives a shit.

The internet is a terrible place where people with terrible ideologies can get together and do harm.

The internet is a wonderful place for making it hard to be forgotten once you're caught doing it.

Fuck this guy. I hope this buries his career.

Pif

Banned
Oculus is gonna flop, Scorpio won't be compatible with Vive because of Valve, PSVR wins undisputed.

Top Bottom