• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus: Palmer Luckey Trying to Answer Questions

He shouldn't make those promises, I am pretty sure facebook gonna let'em roll with it for a few years but then after that who knows, I guess we shall see by who ends up leaving first that is usually always the first sign.

Why not?

In a few years he will be having 24/7 parties in a big mansion.

Ponn

Banned
I get that, but the reaction seems overly bitter and negative. I don't even have a Facebook account and the Facebook as a company hate seems over stated.

I feel alot of the hate is the people that forked over money to kickstart this indie venture and are now just venture capitolists that got no ROI. In the investment world im sure they would have a worse name for the people who gave them money.

Zebra

I always hoped it would be 'huge' but with this acquisition, it makes it very likely. And from that comes competition and moving forward with general acceptance.

Agreed. I've always felt like VR would be a very hard sell to the general public, but facebook is an experienced company that seems competent. With both Sony and FB making the VR push I feel like the chances of widespread use get a lot better, which is better for everyone.

The Rift is going to go where the money takes it, and that's not gaming.

Why not? If they make an all round solid VR device then devs should be able to integrate it just fine into games. It's up to them to use it for games not Palmer and Facebook. Their role was to always just to provide the hardware and ease of use

Facebook buying them lets them get a LOT more resources than they could before so it means a better Rift in the end and probably a consumer version much faster than before

meanspartan

This sounds like bullshit.

Facebook won't intrude, won't force integration on the headset, won't make theirs the only storefront, etc.

So, uh, WHY did they buy Oculus then? Does Zuckerberg just really like VR and so he wanted to make the biggest Kickstarter Contribution yet?

Guri

The deal could involve him being involved in decisions about Oculus just as much as Facebook people. We can't tell yet. FB's acquisition may be more of a "be a part of our group, we want your money". It's hard to tell that about WhatsApp, but I don't think much has changed on Instagram.

I won't judge now. I'll wait and see. And remain cautiously optimistic.

Odrion

Banned
just gonna post this zuckerberg quote that is already contradicting palmer

[Update: As for exactly how Facebook will monetize Oculus, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said on the call to investors, "We're clearly not a hardware company. We're not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term...but if we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line...that’s where the business could come from."]
http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/why-facebook-bought-oculus/

This exactly why it's a bad thing. Nobody wants virtual goods or ads. We want a genuine gaming experience. We want to feel like we did back in the days before monetary gains were all the rage.

Companies need money, yes but instead of making quality games, they rely on half finished products, DLC, etc. as part of the core experience. That's not what gamers want. It's killing this industry and it's sad.

This sounds to me like facebook wants to make a platform that can use the Rift. But why is everyone jumping to the conclusion that they will lock out everyone else from making things that can also use it? Having OR remain an open platform is the best way to sell the things. Let everyone else make compelling software for it as well as your own.

It's like all of a sudden they will say no to the next Elder Scrolls supporting it because they are stupid and don't like money.

just gonna post this zuckerberg quote that is already contradicting palmer

I read this as "We want to make a PlayStation Home style facebook experience where we can sell shit to people that would be a good fit for OR".

monlo

why is anyone listening to Palmer? He works for facebook now. Everything he says represents the collective investment board

He will only tell you what you want to hear at this point

Niks

Palmer said:
We promise we won't change. If anything, our hardware and software will get even more open, and Facebook is onboard with that.

tumblr_mnq6p6ah6r1r0byljo1_250.gif

FLEABttn

Banned
I feel alot of the hate is the people that forked over money to kickstart this indie venture and are now just venture capitolists that got no ROI. In the investment world im sure they would have a worse name for the people who gave them money.

Kickstarters don't have an ROI.

Kusagari

Even if he 100% believes this, it means nothing.

I think Zuckerberg might let Oculus continue as it is for a year or two and I don't think any real negative signs will be shown right away. But I do think in the long run that the gaming focus of Oculus will eventually be left to the wayside, whether Palmer likes it or not.

Chuck

Still without luck
it angers me to read his phony justification for this purchase. it would have been better if he just kept his fucking mouth shut.

Don Lapre

Even if he 100% believes this, it means nothing.

I think Zuckerberg might let Oculus continue as it is for a year or two and I don't think any real negative signs will be shown right away. But I do think in the long run that the gaming focus of Oculus will eventually be left to the wayside, whether Palmer likes it or not.

Then another company can fill the void.

"We're clearly not a hardware company. We're not going to try to make a profit off of the hardware long-term...but if we can make this a network where people are communicating, and buying virtual goods, and there might be ads down the line...that’s where the business could come from."

I mean, this is all we need to know. Eveything Palmer says don't matter.

So in the end we Kickstarted Facebook?

That's what pisses me off, we helped build their company with our backing so they could sell to Facebook and still not release a retail product?

Fuck you occulus.

Wasdie

Neo Member

Facebook won't intrude, won't force integration on the headset, won't make theirs the only storefront, etc.

So, uh, WHY did they buy Oculus then? Does Zuckerberg just really like VR and so he wanted to make the biggest Kickstarter Contribution yet?

They probably want to ensure success so it opens up a whole new market they can capitalize off of a new market of applications. If the Rift failed in its first consumer version then VR would probably be dead for a few more years. Facebook realizes that Facebook.com is a sinking ship and are looking into new markets to expand into.

This is why I believe the hardware will be fine. How Facebook integrates into the hardware will be a different story. They can't risk loading up the hardware with bullshit like mandatory Facebook.com accounts, ads, and other things. That would kill the hardware and thus the market they want to capitalize off of. If they want to capitalize off of the VR market they need to make sure VR is a success.

To be honest, the Rift being a big enough success to really usher in a new market of applications that is large enough to make money off of was slim to none. It would have been a great gaming peripheral, but the limited hardware was going to always hurt its impact and I know it was going to be too expensive for the average consumer to even consider. Facebook investing into it changes everything.

So in the end we Kickstarted Facebook?

That's what pisses me off, we helped build their company with our backing so they could sell to Facebook and still not release a retail product?

Fuck you occulus.

You helped build a product. That prototype was made and, if I'm not worng, everyone got their prototypes.

You didn't invested on a company, you invested on a kickstarter so a company could make a product. Congratulations it was a success.

If you want to be able to have a say on a company don't use kickstarter, because that's is not the platform is for.

Ponn

Banned
Kickstarters don't have an ROI.

Exactly, thats why ive yet to contribute. Gamers, who have yet to even see OR on store shelves, gave up money for an advertised vision. In reality they just gave some people some startup money to sell off to a big company that who knows what the hell you are going to get. All they just got here was "Thanks everybody, we promise Facebook of all companies wont infringe on things now i gotta go drink some champagne. Later chumps"

Biff

Dude is 21 and just made enough bank to support the next 40 generations of his family.

I can't fault him for even a nanosecond.

Now, he better smarten up and unload that Funny Munny aka Facebook shares before the stock craters after more foolish, wildly overpriced acquisitions.

Dryk

I'd like to know what type of contract he signed there, what kind of decision power he retained.
He seems to be merely implying Facebook's good will, which is worrying.
It's like watching Australia negotiating a trade agreement. In the end everyone goes home feeling like they've won while the company negotiators high-five each other and remark about how much they played them.

Don Lapre

Exactly, thats why ive yet to contribute. Gamers, who have yet to even see OR on store shelves, gave up money for an advertised vision. In reality they just gave some people some startup money to sell off to a big company that who knows what the hell you are going to get. All they just got here was "Thanks everybody, we promise Facebook of all companies wont infringe on things now i gotta go drink some champagne. Later chumps"

Except they did get what they paid for.

BeerSnob

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/why-facebook-bought-oculus/

I'll just keep reposting that quote on every page to hammer the point that is this the worst fucking thing.

http://www.shareholder.com/visitors/event/build3/stage/stage.cfm?mediaid=63723&mediauserid=0

Here's the whole thing if you want to hear how Zuckerberg dovetails full mobile data exploitation with acquisition of a new platform to datamine the hell out of. He's already giddy with new ways to advertise on OR.

Apathy

Can't blame him for wanting the money, but if he thinks Facebook won't mess with them he's either doing damage control or is extremely naive.

Yeah it is pretty naive to think Facebook can't mess with the way Oculus operates internally or the end product. They own the fucking company, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

You helped build a product. That prototype was made and, if I'm not worng, everyone got their prototypes.

You didn't invested on a company, you invested on a kickstarter so a company could make a product. Congratulations it was a success.

If you want to be able to have a say on a company don't use kickstarter, because that's is not the platform is for.

Yeah a success for them to sell out. They've lost me now. I cancelled my crystal cove prototype and will leave my first prototype behind soon enough.

Xbone level BS.

Odrion

Banned
It doesn't actually contradict anything he has said just yet
How doesn't it contradict
None of that will change. Oculus continues to operate independently! We are going to remain as indie/developer/enthusiast friendly as we have always been, if not more so. This deal lets us dedicate a lot of resources to developer relations, technical help, engine optimizations, and our content investment/publishing/sales platform. We are not going to track you, flash ads at you, or do anything invasive.

El Phenicks

Neo Member
Truth is if this was Nintendo or MS buying them the picture would look a lot more grim than it is now. I haven't yet seen FB mismanage any of their acquired assets, not to say I have faith they won't, but at least it's open to discussion what its future will be a few years from now on whilst we all know what would happen if either of those two got their hands on this.

This hysteria is completely unjustified and just brings our own criticism of facebook, the site, not the company. They are newcomers in the hardware business, as was Google when they released Android, which received fairly similar fears of an Ad riddled OS, all unjustified and exaggerate.

Calm down and smell the flowers, this just got a lot more interesting.

Odrion

Banned
Or how TucoBenedictoPacifico put it
He was just reassuring people on Reddit that "this deal will allow them to invest a lot more on top-tier hardware" and then Mark comes and he says to the investors "We don't know fuck about the hardware nor we care about it, but I can see big chances to put some social stuff and ads on this thing".

Then another company can fill the void.

Exactly. When did Oculus open it's kickstarter? 2012? Maybe a year or so before that date they started on a prototype. Sony started in 2010 (well technically they had a VR set for ps2) and impressions say Morpheus is on par.

Oculus was and is not the only way for VR to take off. There will be others if willing to join in and produce a device in relatively short time.

neptunes

To be in the right position to capitalize on the craze when VR really takes off. We don't know what other acquisitions this could could lead to, none of which can affect the consumer version in any way.

I personally believe FB/Oculus stands to gain more by keeping this open then to have it closed off.

meanspartan

Yeah a success for them to sell out. They've lost me now. I cancelled my crystal cove prototype and will leave my first prototype behind soon enough.

Xbone level BS.

Worse really. Sure, Microsoft may want to expand beyond just gaming, but gaming will always be central to the Xbox brand. No matter what, if you own one you will get your share of exclusives like Halo or Gears and also the major mutiplats.

Now with Oculus being Facebook owned, who knows? Maybe Zuckerberg rushes them passed gaming in order to integrate "social" bullshit.

Briarios

Dude is out of his element -- if he truly believes the stuff he's saying, he's been played hardcore. There is no such thing and being independent and in control of your own destiny when owned by a massive company. They always tell you that ... Until you do something they don't like, or worse -- that the shareholders don't like.

Top Bottom