• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm seriously thinking about getting the Oculus 2 very soon. Does anyone have any experience with any 3D art programs for it, like Tilt Brush or Gravity Sketch? I think those could be a very therapeutic experience. :)

Also, is it worth getting the more expensive model? My roommate nor I have a gaming PC, but it seems as if one is really not needed with this.

Deft Beck

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Oculus 2 very soon. Does anyone have any experience with any 3D art programs for it, like Tilt Brush or Gravity Sketch? I think those could be a very therapeutic experience. :)

Also, is it worth getting the more expensive model? My roommate nor I have a gaming PC, but it seems as if one is really not needed with this.

I recommend the more expensive model for the additional space; it's nice if you are a power user.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Anyone know if the video apps like big screen, skybox vr, Netflix and YouTube are actually supporting the new resolution? I feel like they look pretty good but I can't help but wonder if they are all defaulting to the output resolution of quest 1?

Darko

Saw someone sideloading Wii Games on their Quest2. Tried the same with Quest and with Vulkan I'm getting 45-60fps.

Quest2 Should be able to hit solid 60fps with no problem. Also tried the android version of Mickey Castle of illusion,not bad, but I can notice the 30fps. Not sure if a Quest 2 will push it to 60fps.

But it seems like the Quest2 could be legit for 2d gaming on the Oculus TV @ 60fps. Do people take into account running android game @ 60fps?

I know Cod Mobile works on Quest, but what if one can push games like that to 60-90fps on the Quest2?

You have something that could rival the Switch.
Did you get the controller working for wii? I can’t get mine to pair.. I’m seeing threads all over reddit about it

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Get the cheap model it is 100% the same.
Just remove apps when you don't need them. Quest2 apps are super small.
And a big game is like 2GB. I think you have 1 game that is 8GB.

Art apps are small. I use tilt brush and sculptVR on quest. Both awesome experiences. (my fave program from oculus is medium but right now it's pc only)
Drawing and creating in 3D has been the greatest jump in art&design for me in years.
You can also 3d print the stuff you created.

(watching video's on a flat screen really fail to sell sculpting in a 3d space)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Get the cheap model it is 100% the same.
Just remove apps when you don't need them. Quest2 apps are super small.
And a big game is like 2GB. I think you have 1 game that is 8GB.

Art apps are small. I use tilt brush and sculptVR on quest. Both awesome experiences. (my fave program from oculus is medium but right now it's pc only)
Drawing and creating in 3D has been the greatest jump in art&design for me in years.
You can also 3d print the stuff you created.

(watching video's on a flat screen really fail to sell sculpting in a 3d space)
Videos like this gal's (which may well be more PR and presentation than substance but whatever) show it well enough (But she doesn't sculpt or model or whatever else, just does her own 3D painting style she calls volumism and wants to make it/herself a thing). Still cool and she's clearly good.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I setup Virtual Desktop and have been streaming my VR games using the default ATT Fiber Router and it works flawlessly, I was very surprised. I have the Rift S and even though it is more comfortable, the Quest 2 being a fully wireless solution trumps the decrease in comfort for me. The wire has always bugged me even for sitting games. I have a motion seat for my race setup and the movement would always cause a slight tug on the cable and bring me out of the experience.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I setup Virtual Desktop and have been streaming my VR games using the default ATT Fiber Router and it works flawlessly, I was very surprised. I have the Rift S and even though it is more comfortable, the Quest 2 being a fully wireless solution trumps the decrease in comfort for me. The wire has always bugged me even for sitting games. I have a motion seat for my race setup and the movement would always cause a slight tug on the cable and bring me out of the experience.

Squadrons glitched on me wirelessly.

there are zombie dogs in Death Horizon :messenger_tears_of_joy:

my first zombie dog encounter since RE on PS1, unless you count hellish dogs in DMC or GoW...

took me off guard and one actually got the best of me... man, this area is hard, but living the small twists and secret passages...

room scale VR unimpeded by cables or camera limits is very, very awesome. I'm actually physically moving around and turning with my own body to meet foes...

resolution is quite good, not the best but much sharper than Doom VFR on psvr...

2 days into Quest 2 as psvr owner

the issues most people were talking about don't come in my way

first, the Facebook login: works flawlessly with my real life account. Already bought a game as well, hope Zuck doesn't abuse my credit card.

comfort: standard strap works great. I was previously adjusting too loose or too tight and it was either getting blurry images because slowly sliding down or giving slight headache because pressing too much, but now I know my measures and it just feels great. Can't say it's better or worse than psvr crown design, it just works and gives me no troubles after 1 or 2 hours, aside from being a tad more sweaty due to pushing tightly against your face. when you take it off, you really see the red mark...

the built-in phones work incredibly well. Very decent volume and bass. I actually tried my usual earbuds, but it's useless, works great as is, even during Bigscreen movie trailers (whole movies not available in my country)

LCD rather than OLED: I can see blacks are actually dark gray, yes. Doesn't really matter much to me. Why? Well, I can see them in my non-OLED 4k tv as well. And I see them on psvr too - yes, even though OLED, the reality is that going from turned off pixels to fully lit incurs in a lag and so most VR games prefer to just go from dark gray to fully lit anyway. Perhaps a bit more problematic for movies, but didn't bother me on Bigscreen, specially as your surroundings are bathed in screen light...

the glare, godrays. This is pretty much non existing on psvr, with smooth lenses rather than fresnel - it's quite noticeable here off center and in case of bright letters in contrast to dark background. But here's the flip coin: fresnel is what allows a bigger sweet spot, that area in front of you that is free from lens borders blur. And indeed it looks bigger than on psvr, but not by much. But enough that I'd say even though psvr FOV is probably bigger, the sweet spot of crystal clear sharpness of Q2 wins out - I can survive some glare here and there for that...

I'm tempted to get Orbus VR just to have some bigger game to grind for awhile until bigger games come. Any opinions on this one?

Techies

Did you get the controller working for wii? I can’t get mine to pair.. I’m seeing threads all over reddit about it

I used the Xbox one controller. Controls like shaking/tilting can be assigned to it's analog stick. Took a bit of time to configure it for the mario game, but I think I have a configuration that works really well. Just played the first 3 levels with all the motion gimmicks.

Romulus

Asgard's Wrath
seemed pretty big to me, I was really enjoying it until I realized my PC GPU was simply not up to the task as I got to one point in the game that it was dropping frames and chaing the LOD so much that it looked like shit. I'll revisit it when I get another GPU.

Yeah, there's more alot than that too. I just don't get it. Name another peripheral that has games like VR. Kinect had fitness shit.

Yeah, there's more alot than that too. I just don't get it. Name another peripheral that has games like VR. Kinect had fitness shit.

I was very, very weary of VR when it began because Sony was selling it like a continuation of Kinect/Wii casual crap. Turns out actual games eventually came, but still casual and fitness are still big in VR, specially on Quest.

but there are actual good games and I'm always thirsty for more, even older, meaty games.

Romulus

I was very, very weary of VR when it began because Sony was selling it like a continuation of Kinect/Wii casual crap. Turns out actual games eventually came, but still casual and fitness are still big in VR, specially on Quest.

but there are actual good games and I'm always thirsty for more, even older, meaty games.

I feel like theres something for everyone. One thing VR absolutely trumps gimmick peripherals in is hardcore games. The simulators are just untouchable, to the point that the military uses them. Kinect etc in the same sentence as simulation or military is a complete joke. VR is in it's own league, especially now.

baphomet

They're fun to mess with, but I'm definitely no artist.

If you're not also using it with a PC I'd go with the 256GB model. That way you'll likely never have to worry about additional space, and can put whatever you'd like to on there.

Darko

I used the Xbox one controller. Controls like shaking/tilting can be assigned to it's analog stick. Took a bit of time to configure it for the mario game, but I think I have a configuration that works really well. Just played the first 3 levels with all the motion gimmicks.
Lucky you.. I tried every controller in my house and only got it working once For a few minutes lol

CloudNull

Banned
Anyone have any issues with blue tooth audio desync? Sometimes the Bluetooth audio works perfect but other times there’s a half second delay between an action and hearing the audio.

I assume this is why the feature is experimental currently but curious if others are dealing with it.

Last edited:

Spukc

the hell HOW ?
i have been trying so many controllers none of them freaking work

are you on quest 2 ?

Techies

the hell HOW ?
i have been trying so many controllers none of them freaking work

are you on quest 2 ?
Quest 1
Official Xbox One bluetooth controller.
Put your controller in pairing mode first, so that the light keeps flashing.
Then Experimental features -> Bluetooth pairing

A GUI will pop up, showing the controller then you click on it.
A Pair confirm message then pops up.

That's it. This is one of the features I'm looking out for the most when my Quest2 arrives. Hope they did not break it?

Spukc

Quest 1
Official Xbox One bluetooth controller.
Put your controller in pairing mode first, so that the light keeps flashing.
Then Experimental features -> Bluetooth pairing

A GUI will pop up, showing the controller then you click on it.
A Pair confirm message then pops up.

That's it. This is one of the features I'm looking out for the most when my Quest2 arrives. Hope they did not break it?

yeah quest 1 is piss easy,
thought for a second you had it working on the quest 2 hahaha :pie_roffles:

and no it does not work with the quest 2 AT ALL
i am using an dongle atm

wii and gamecube run great native

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
And it's back in stock again on Amazon. Guess it's a retail/online balancing game atm. No idea how many headsets the build this time around.
They are going to make a lot more this time. A big impetus for getting the Quest 2 to market so soon was that they had sourcing problems that bottlenecked production and they couldn't keep up with demand.

So they designed Quest 2 not just to be an upgrade but to be something they could scale production for much better. This is probably the main reason they used a single LCD panel with a standard 4K display, sacrificing the smooth IPD adjustment. But it worked out because it's a really great panel.

Techies

I think there's a developer option to enable them, but I don't know if it does you much good since who would support it?

Oculus TV, every mobile app/game with gamepad support. That includes emulators.
Hope it is something that will get fixed asap.

I can imagine the problem would also effect Mice and Keyboards, which would be a problem for their infinite office vision.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

2 days into Quest 2 as psvr owner
LCD rather than OLED: I can see blacks are actually dark gray, yes. Doesn't really matter much to me. Why? Well, I can see them in my non-OLED 4k tv as well. And I see them on psvr too - yes, even though OLED, the reality is that going from turned off pixels to fully lit incurs in a lag and so most VR games prefer to just go from dark gray to fully lit anyway. Perhaps a bit more problematic for movies, but didn't bother me on Bigscreen, specially as your surroundings are bathed in screen light...
Yeah the benefits of OLED in VR are often hugely overstated. Because of the mura effect, they're often calibrated not to show true blacks anyway. On the Rift CV1 there was often some noise on the image in total black scenes (which didn't match from eye to eye and could be a little distracting). There's also smearing and trails in black areas as well, and of course the pentile subpixel arrangement is terrible for screen door effect.

LCD has a little more latency, and slightly lower contrast/less saturated colors, but at the end of the day the screen is one of the best parts of Quest 2.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

This virtual desktop app in batshit crazy..
You can force your res to 3k 90hz
And wirelessly play half life alyx when you are sitting in bed 😹
I really need to upgrade my networking set up. It's gonna be a pain but might be worth it

SF Kosmo

Yeah thats a no brainer. Just be sure to have some kind of wall charger or battery charger near you..

Battery drain is a bitch
Problem is there's no good way to get my router and PC in the same room so I might have to run a 50 ft cable or something.

This looks super shallow. Not even remotely impressed in the wake of S&S standalone.
Vader Immortal was shallow and I liked it, but it was at least story rich. This seems like a bunch of fetch quests and cameos stapled together.

Last edited:

sixamp

I've had the quest 2 since launch, just got the elite head strap and case. I highly recommend the elite head strap. It's 100x better than the stock head strap. I would also suggest anyone thinking about buying the quest 2 to either wait for restock of the elite battery head strap or just get the elite strap and a 10000mah 3-5 ounce small power back from Amazon and strap that to the head set as a counter weight and to allow you to play longer .

The quest 2 battery only lasts like 2-2.5 hrs. Adding a 10000mah battery to it will make it last 6-8hrs.

The games I have played are:
Beat saber -- awesome
Walk about mini golf -- alot of fun
Vader immortal-- amazing
The Room -- really cool escape game
EchoVR -- great fun in multiplayer
Phasmophbia -- great game , clunky controls ( steamVR)
I'm planning on buying :
Half life alyx (steamVR)
Onward

I bought star wars squadron on steam and I liked the game but I had alot of issues with it plus it doesn't support VR controllers. I got it refunded

Make sure you install VD. I streamed star wars squadron and phasmophbia to my head set wirelessly

Can anyone recommend some good games either on oculus or steam VR. I can't really fine anything worth playing o. Steam VR. Also what's a good site to check up on upcoming vr games besides upload vr

Last edited:
This looks super shallow. Not even remotely impressed in the wake of S&S standalone.

the series are not sold as "games" but as interactive cinematic experiences. I think for fans it does the job.

hey, this one seems to offer more than before, with exploration, laser guns, creatures to shoot and find, etc

taking all chapters as a whole I think it's reasonable enough

is Orbus VR on Quest any worth it?

so far got the venerable Rec Room, Death Horizon and the surprisingly awesome Void Racer (the bigass large tracks and vehicle handling are in many ways superior to Wipeout Omega Collection on psvr). Need more, even though battery drain means it's about 2 hours fun and 2 hours recharge...

anyway, just drained it testing all kinds of big screen watching experiences. While psvr pretty much only offers that boring big floating screen against black background, Bigscreen, Netflix and even YouTube among others all offer incredibly impressive movie watching like I wasn't expecting from a movie chip. Very high resolutions, even in 360 videos, nice, cozy or downright majestic cinema or home environments bathed by the light from the screen and you can just stand right next to the big screens without anyone yelling at you... exceptional stuff there... the days of small, limited physical flat screens are so over... if consoles would cast to a Quest big cinema virtual screen even flat games would be nice again... Nextgen games could well work like Minecraft VR: either play it on an immersive TV room or full immersion in the game world

Shakka43

For those who like Time Crisish type of games I highly recommend Operation Serpens (SideQuest).
Simple graphics but highly entertaining.

Last edited:

Resenge

Looks like the Elite strap might have some flaws with strength.

9cWidQ-BcWOLubjdd0eRs76ALiMr2g-rjVAGRGD6C4M.jpg

A few posts are popping up on the Oculus subreddits like these.

RIP. Pretty sure i haven’t applied much pressure on my elite strap but this happened last night.
After only 4 days of normal usage I'm beat saber player so I always make sure to make it tight on my head and this happend
Another Cracked Elite Strap After Gentle Use.

My Elite strap is fine, even though its been in use most days since release. I have been extra careful though, I can tell that the plastic could easily snap. If I have needed to swivel the strap and have held the bottom part of the strap, closer to the headset, I imagine people are using the back of the strap to swivel and the stress point is in the middle of the strap.

Last edited:
I'm fine with standard strap, don't see the big issue. Same about the phone-free built-in audio, the IPD, FOV, black levels, even battery. And Facebook still didn't ban me nor came into the night to collect my data-filled cookies, even though with guardian they have a pretty good map of my house.

The way so many people (or so many clones) were complaining about all sorts of issues almost made me cancel the deal. It's all BS, it's simply great.

The most striking issue to me is glare that is common to fresnel lenses - it's more distracting than annoying, but I only really notice it in high contrast, like bright letters on dark background, or the sky against a building - and this case it actually feels moody and kinda realistic.

I found the best way to play with Quest: short sessions along the day, which suits both the battery, the nature of the games and its mobile nature. You just grab the headset, wear it and you're in, ready to wield a sword or aim with a gun. About 40-50 minutes later after a fun Rec Room session or racing in Void Racer, I just took it off and I'm ready for real life again.

today Population One was released, a battle royale for 30 bucks. The usual streamers are all there so we'll only have an idea of the actual population for this game some time ahead... Not really my kind of game, but very impressive that it's running on Quest and still looking pretty good.

so impressed with Journey of the Gods demo. It's incredibly sharp and smooth and the scale is simply epic - also good art style to cope with hardware limitations and gameplay is so good! My next purchase soon

I've had the quest 2 since launch, just got the elite head strap and case. I highly recommend the elite head strap. It's 100x better than the stock head strap. I would also suggest anyone thinking about buying the quest 2 to either wait for restock of the elite battery head strap or just get the elite strap and a 10000mah 3-5 ounce small power back from Amazon and strap that to the head set as a counter weight and to allow you to play longer .

The quest 2 battery only lasts like 2-2.5 hrs. Adding a 10000mah battery to it will make it last 6-8hrs.

The games I have played are:
Beat saber -- awesome
Walk about mini golf -- alot of fun
Vader immortal-- amazing
The Room -- really cool escape game
EchoVR -- great fun in multiplayer
Phasmophbia -- great game , clunky controls ( steamVR)
I'm planning on buying :
Half life alyx (steamVR)
Onward

I bought star wars squadron on steam and I liked the game but I had alot of issues with it plus it doesn't support VR controllers. I got it refunded

Make sure you install VD. I streamed star wars squadron and phasmophbia to my head set wirelessly

Can anyone recommend some good games either on oculus or steam VR. I can't really fine anything worth playing o. Steam VR. Also what's a good site to check up on upcoming vr games besides upload vr

Bone works and Half life alyx are must plays. Asgard’s wrath is another game you can really sink your teeth into. Contractors VR has the best shooting mechanics of any VR FPS IMO and worth a purchase if your into those kinds of games.

Top Bottom