• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CloudNull

Banned
I am definitely buying the replacement foam though. I got that for my Rift and it was money well spent, and going back was a good reminder of why. The default foam soaks up sweat like a sponge, which makes sharing the thing super gross. And it picks up cat hair and dander like a bitch too, and as someone who is mildly allergic to his own cats, that's a recipe for itchy eyes.
I feel the new default foam on Quest 2 is much better then the foam on Quest 1. I am thinking of getting an aftermarket one though. Which one do you recommend?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am surprised people are having such good experiences with the wireless stuff. I'd like to try it but my set up is not ideal, router and PC in different rooms so I can't run a direct line. Maybe I will try it anyways just for shits.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I feel the new default foam on Quest 2 is much better then the foam on Quest 1. I am thinking of getting an aftermarket one though. Which one do you recommend?
The one they sell on Oculus' site is supplied by VRCover. It's like a fake leather texture, so it's non absorbant and you can just wipe it down and it won't get gross over time. It's also a little thinner so it lets you get a little closer to the lenses so you got a wider FOV but I think that's gonna depend on IPD with Quest 2 as I noticed on the 3 setting the FOV is a little clipped if you get close enough.

I haven't received my Quest 2 foam yet but I have one on my Rift and it was worth every penny.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Router is default router from my cable company that has dual band wireless.
Direct connection from my PC to the router then the Quest 2 is connected on the 5ghtz network.

That's the bit I as after. So a normal cable company dual band wireless router will work. Thanks for the info.

pr0cs

Thanks for the responses, though this thread is really hard for those of us
1) waiting on a new GPU (fuck you Nvidia with your paper launch)
2) wanting to finally upgrade from our CV1

Pretty thrilled to see that the wifi link is working for some people with less than dedicated WIFI6 routers, while my game room is very close to a wifi router I didn't think it would be plausible to attempt it but now it sounds like it might work out of the box semi-reliably.

FunkMiller

Thanks for the responses, though this thread is really hard for those of us
1) waiting on a new GPU (fuck you Nvidia with your paper launch)
2) wanting to finally upgrade from our CV1

Pretty thrilled to see that the wifi link is working for some people with less than dedicated WIFI6 routers, while my game room is very close to a wifi router I didn't think it would be plausible to attempt it but now it sounds like it might work out of the box semi-reliably.

My virtual desktop link is working surprisingly well given my potato laptop. Got Gorn running fine over a 70mb fibre optic connection on an aging TP Link, with both laptop and quest wireless. I’m not attempting Half Life any time soon on it, but pleased with how stable a connection I’m getting.

Last edited:

McCheese

Anybody else notice the in-built speakers hiss a bit when sound is playing? I have to either put the volume up high to drown it out completely, or plugin some proper headphones to stop it bugging me.

At first I thought it was one of those ambient 'home area' sounds, but nope if I put a game on the lowest volume I can still hear it.

CloudNull

Banned
Anybody else notice the in-built speakers hiss a bit when sound is playing? I have to either put the volume up high to drown it out completely, or plugin some proper headphones to stop it bugging me.

At first I thought it was one of those ambient 'home area' sounds, but nope if I put a game on the lowest volume I can still hear it.
I have not had that issue but I mostly use bluetooth headphones. I think one other person mentioned that in this thread.

Quick review:

+ Screen resolution is great, must focus to see screen door. Text, Video and virtual theater massively improved.
+ Sweet Spot seemed pretty large
+ Tracking is great. Especially at 90hz. Noticeable improvement over Quest 1.
+ Love the new controllers
+ Wifi 6 with VR Desktop offers great wireless PC Link to play PC Games. Carmack is right, make this the default Oculus!!!
+ Room and Boundary detection works great.
+ Store and OS Navigation works good. Easy to jump in/out, reorient...

- FOV seems slightly reduced compared to Quest 1. I wont buy another headset that doesn't improve this significantly.
- I can see the edge of the screen which is slightly distracting. Didn't notice this in Quest 1.
- Comfort still sucks but slightly better than the horribly uncomfortable unmodded Quest 1. The fit pack did help. Still waiting for Elite battery strap and VR Cover.
- Facebook is unfortunately a force for evil and can not be trusted. You are the product they profit from, not the headset.
- Games not taking advantage of the new power yet. But this does already support higher resolution VR Video.
- Only 3 IPD settings isn't ideal, but not a deal breaker
- Not sure, but hand tracking (without controller) seemed better on Quest 1
- Integrated audio is meh. Will need a mod on top of my Elite Battery Strap and VR Cover.
- System wakes up to easily when charging, keeping the screen on needlessly
- At first during setup it didnt recognize my large Oculus game library. I freaked out but it fixed itself.

Its the best value out there for VR today. It's an amazing way for people on the fence and can accept Facebook to jump into VR. If you have been using PSVR, this will be a massive upgrade. I think it will sell a lot. Still huge room for improvement.

Next gen must haves:

* Better default comfort
* > 140 FOV with same or better pixel per degree density, and no issues at screen/lense boundary
* Color stereo 90hz Pass Thru
* Better audio
* More clarity on which games will let you play online at the same time using your old headset and new one.

Nice to have:
*Better graphics. Perhaps using Eye Tracking, Foveated Rendering, DLSS
*More IPD granularity
*More face tracking so my avatar is more expressive when taunting others online.
*Varifocal Lenses sound magical

Last edited:
Quick review:

+ Screen resolution is great, must focus to see screen door. Text, Video and virtual theater massively improved.
+ Sweet Spot seemed pretty large
+ Tracking is great. Especially at 90hz. Noticeable improvement over Quest 1.
+ Love the new controllers
+ Wifi 6 with VR Desktop offers great wireless PC Link to play PC Games. Carmack is right, make this the default Oculus!!!
+ Room and Boundary detection works great.
+ Store and OS Navigation works good. Easy to jump in/out, reorient...

- FOV seems slightly reduced compared to Quest 1. I wont buy another headset that doesn't improve this significantly.
- I can see the edge of the screen which is slightly distracting. Didn't notice this in Quest 1.
- Comfort still sucks but slightly better than the horribly uncomfortable unmodded Quest 1. The fit pack did help. Still waiting for Elite battery strap and VR Cover.
- Facebook is unfortunately a force for evil and can not be trusted. You are the product they profit from, not the headset.
- Games not taking advantage of the new power yet. But this does already support higher resolution VR Video.
- Only 3 IPD settings isn't ideal, but not a deal breaker
- Not sure, but hand tracking (without controller) seemed better on Quest 1
- Integrated audio is meh. Will need a mod on top of my Elite Battery Strap and VR Cover.
- System wakes up to easily when charging, keeping the screen on needlessly
- At first during setup it didnt recognize my large Oculus game library. I freaked out but it fixed itself.

Its the best value out there for VR today. It's an amazing way for people on the fence and can accept Facebook to jump into VR. If you have been using PSVR, this will be a massive upgrade. I think it will sell a lot. Still huge room for improvement.

Next gen must haves:

* Better default comfort
* > 140 FOV with same or better pixel per degree density, and no issues at screen/lense boundary
* Better audio
* More clarity on which games will let you play online at the same time using your old headset and new one.

Nice to have:
*More IPD granularity
*More face tracking so my avatar is more expressive when taunting others online.

Nice review. Thanks for the info.

For those of us on the fence, I'd love to see someone add more info about what kind of rig and peripherals are required/recommended for a good solid wireless setup with a PC.

I've still got a boxed PSVR I haven't cracked open yet, but as soon as I get around to playing a few games on that I have a feeling I'll know if upgrading to something like the Quest 2 would be worth the investment at this time. I feel like VR is "getting there" and if some/most of the potential improvements listed are in Quest 3, that's when I'll definitely jump in...🤔

ManaByte

This is how Amazon delivered my Elite strap. Broken box and broken headset. Now they say they can't get me a replacement for a MONTH:
EkZKvX3U0AAZsT5

Better graphics. Perhaps using Eye Tracking

guess eye-tracking is inevitable in VR, not only for possible performance enhancement with foveated rendering, but also to select things with eyes, to place ads and also for facial tracking I suppose.

but it's not the only performance enhancer in town anymore. Nvidia, Facebook and others are all researching into AI-assisted upscaling, so you may render more complex scenes in lower resolution...

I'm glad though with which is available now in terms of extra texture detail and effects. Polygon count may afford same level of detail as original xbox games, but there's a lot more memory available and a lot can be faked by baking into textures...

Mine is almost here, hopefully not in a broken box. Can't wait enough for better tracking, controls, much more sharpness and freedom from cables! May even grab an old psvr favorite or two...

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
My son bought the first Quest and then got the Quest 2. At 1am bought the Quest 2 from Best Buy and picked it up today. Joined the VR brigade.
Welcome to the family. Once you get your Vr legs and are ready for a life changing gaming moment you must play Half Life Alyx.... of course considering you have a rig that can run it.

I seriously think Alyx has ruined me on traditional gaming.

it blows my mind that Dead and Buried is running on Quest 1 outdated mobile chip:

it looks basically like Western Overwatch - can't even begin to see what they will come up with on Quest 2.

Too bad no players so he was playing with bots - a sad reality of most multiplayer VR games, even crossplay ones. Still nice to see so many of them on Quest - including Pavlov and Onward. psvr is basically only Firewall, it's slow and graphics not much better and much blurrier

Last edited:
My brother already returned his, got it played some walking dead sitting down, got extremely nauseous and said fuck it. Got refund for game and packed it back up for a return.

you should've warned it about motion sickness and that it takes some time for the body to build up a tolerance in wait sessions and to begin with more stationary games like Superhot, Moss, Space Pirate Trainer

I think this behavior is a constant in VR: people go straight into Doom, RE7, or whatever big name and those make them sick right away and they refund.

stationary games should be the only games available for beginners. But hey, freedom to barf and refund is better, huh?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
you should've warned it about motion sickness and that it takes some time for the body to build up a tolerance in wait sessions and to begin with more stationary games like Superhot, Moss, Space Pirate Trainer

I think this behavior is a constant in VR: people go straight into Doom, RE7, or whatever big name and those make them sick right away and they refund.

stationary games should be the only games available for beginners. But hey, freedom to barf and refund is better, huh?

he had the older quest and it got him sick as well, dunno why he tried again but with return policy being to forgiving doesn’t hurt to try.

it was hilarious, he got off work at 2pm and by 9pm tell me he is gonna puke and already printed up a return for it.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Next gen must haves:

* Better default comfort
* Better audio

Nice to have:
*More IPD granularity
For next gen must haves, can we also add fast charging? The battery life is okay for what it is, but not having 30W+ fast charge feels like a huge oversight.

My biggest complaints right now are the compression over Link and the FOV.

But I am also blown away by how great this is as a "mass market" entry point to VR. More than PSVR, more than Quest 1, this is something affordable, complete, and good that I can recommend to anyone regardless of if they're tech savvy or dedicated gamers. When you think about what it'll take for VR to go mainstream, it's a product like this.

CloudNull

Banned
he had the older quest and it got him sick as well, dunno why he tried again but with return policy being to forgiving doesn’t hurt to try.

it was hilarious, he got off work at 2pm and by 9pm tell me he is gonna puke and already printed up a return for it.
Did he ever focus on games that have motion sickness limitations built in? Many games give you the option to enable grids while moving and use teleport system with turning. It took me a week or two before I could start turning that stuff off. Now its the first thing I do whenever I get in a new game. I dont want any training wheels in my VR games but some people need them.

Last edited:

Warnen

Did he over focus on games that have motion sickness limitations built in? Many games give you the option to enable grids while moving and use teleport system with turning. It took me a week or two before I could start turning that stuff off. Now its the first thing I do whenever I get in a new game. I dont want any training wheels in my VR games but some people need them.

All he said was he was reaching over his head in walking dead and just about passed out lol.

He played a ton of super hot, job/vacation sim, beat saber, and stuff like that and never got ill but anything with movement is bad for him, on the older quest. Guess he was hopping the new screen refresh would fix that issue but didn’t for him.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
All he said was he was reaching over his head in walking dead and just about passed out lol.

He played a ton of super hot, job/vacation sim, beat saber, and stuff like that and never got ill but anything with movement is bad for him, on the older quest. Guess he was hopping the new screen refresh would fix that issue but didn’t for him.
I’m the same. I teleport everywhere. He should try doing the same.

CloudNull

Banned

Sucks he returned the Quest. Sounds like he was not waiting to get his VR legs before jumping into the meaty games. Some people have to start with 3d platforms. Here is great video that goes over some tricks:

Also it is super hard to find video but games Like Apex Construct were great for me to get my legs. They have a grid option for fast movement. Something about having lines while moving helps your body not get that motion sickness.

Warnen

Sucks he returned the Quest. Sounds like he was not waiting to get his VR legs before jumping into the meaty games. Some people have to start with 3d platforms. Here is great video that goes over some tricks:

Also it is super hard to find video but games Like Apex Construct were great for me to get my legs. They have a grid option for fast movement. Something about having lines while moving helps your body not get that motion sickness.

yeah, that and since he doesn’t have much time to game as is (full time job, 2 kids under 3 years old) it wasn’t worth the time investment.

I don’t get the motion sickness but I do get a bad head ache if I play for more then 20-30 mins at a clip. As much as I like vr haven't really engaged with it for better part of a year because of that.

Last edited:
yeah, that and since he doesn’t have much time to game as is (full time job, 2 kids under 3 years old) it wasn’t worth the time investment.

I don’t get the motion sickness but I do get a bad head ache if I play for more then 20-30 mins at a clip. As much as I like vr haven't really engaged with it for better part of a year because of that.

headache sounds more vision-related. Either you unconsciously squinting to try to make out details that are otherwise blurred in the distance or IPD not ideal. Or perhaps to much pressure on the head, on the face, I dunno.

the comfortable crown design of psvr (and licensed to Rift S and others) makes it possible for me to be whole afternoons playing in VR without issues. I wonder how I'll cope with Quest 2 and its cheap standard strap. Either way, battery is only about 2 hours, so either headache or the device turning off happens first...

Warnen

headache sounds more vision-related. Either you unconsciously squinting to try to make out details that are otherwise blurred in the distance or IPD not ideal. Or perhaps to much pressure on the head, on the face, I dunno.

the comfortable crown design of psvr (and licensed to Rift S and others) makes it possible for me to be whole afternoons playing in VR without issues. I wonder how I'll cope with Quest 2 and its cheap standard strap. Either way, battery is only about 2 hours, so either headache or the device turning off happens first...

yeah it’s my eyes for sure, get them even playing regular games but can take it a bit longer. Just getting old.

But I am also blown away by how great this is as a "mass market" entry point to VR. More than PSVR, more than Quest 1, this is something affordable, complete, and good that I can recommend to anyone regardless of if they're tech savvy or dedicated gamers. When you think about what it'll take for VR to go mainstream, it's a product like this.

totally, despite all FB hate (by a few dissent voices)

I mean, it's a $300 wireless, standalone VR console of its own, with a native library of such great by now classic VR titles as Superhot, Pavlov, Onward, Moss, Beat Saber, I Expect you to Die, Job Simulator, The Climb, Sairento, etc. And if more punch is needed, you can just stream via WiFi from your pc!

psvr is old news. You'll have some better graphics and bigger games at the cost of resolution, bad controls and old tracking with plenty of drifting - but what good is graphics in Driveclub or NMS if it's all blurry and you can't quite see them? I think Quest 2 got its priorities right and is a much better "VR for the masses" product.

SF Kosmo

totally, despite all FB hate (by a few dissent voices)

I mean, it's a $300 wireless, standalone VR console of its own, with a native library of such great by now classic VR titles as Superhot, Pavlov, Onward, Moss, Beat Saber, I Expect you to Die, Job Simulator, The Climb, Sairento, etc. And if more punch is needed, you can just stream via WiFi from your pc!

psvr is old news. You'll have some better graphics and bigger games at the cost of resolution, bad controls and old tracking with plenty of drifting - but what good is graphics in Driveclub or NMS if it's all blurry and you can't quite see them? I think Quest 2 got its priorities right and is a much better "VR for the masses" product.
Anecdotally, I have talked to a couple people who had PSVR and got a Quest 2 and were immediately like "This is a huge step up."

There is a lack of AAA games, which is a problem for VR in general but is much more visible here. Quest still skews a lot more heavily toward arcade experiences and 2-3 hour games. But now that they have more capable hardware, and they're about to add a couple million users, that might change.

RaZoR No1

Hi all,
Starting on Monday I will join the Oculus Cult with the Quest 2 256GB.

Are there any things I should know before? Any beginner tips, games or other recommendations? I already have some experience with PSVR and I don't mind trying out different settings etc.
If possible, later I'd like to use streaming from my PC (8700k with 1060 6GB) to the Quest wired or wireless, depending on how good wireless on WiFi 5 is.

Anything to I need to keep in mind?
Thanks

CloudNull

Banned
Hi all,
Starting on Monday I will join the Oculus Cult with the Quest 2 256GB.

Are there any things I should know before? Any beginner tips, games or other recommendations? I already have some experience with PSVR and I don't mind trying out different settings etc.
If possible, later I'd like to use streaming from my PC (8700k with 1060 6GB) to the Quest wired or wireless, depending on how good wireless on WiFi 5 is.

Anything to I need to keep in mind?
Thanks

Welcome to the party pal.

Take it slow and give yourself a few days to get your VR legs. Start with games with little forward movement such as Super Hot, Beat Saber and poker. If you get sick don't push through, it will just make it worse. If you don't have any issues then go wild. There are tons of games.

The only recommendation I have is you have to buy Virtual Desktop and once you are ready for a life changing VR moment by Half Life.

Also, there is tons to do in VR that is not gaming. A great app that is free is Within. They have tons of videos that are meant to be watched in VR. One of my favorite thing is sitting on my couch while watching videos with the headset.

SF Kosmo

it's so surreal to see Arizona Sunshine with far better textures (and resolution) on a mobile than on PS4:

way to go, Jaguar

Have you seen Red Matter on Quest 2? It's a step down from the PC port, but it's pretty damn close to the PSVR version, and that's an UE4 game that pushes graphics a lot harder than Arizona Sunshine.

This system reminds me of Nintendo Switch, where obviously it can't go toe to toe with the high end experience but it can get close enough to deliver some surprisingly competent ports of a lot of games, to the point where the "experience" or convenience factor might make up for it.

Kagero

I think I just sold my sister on a quest haha! My brother in law is literally passed out on the couch after playing the Walking Dead. He loved it but now he’s sick. I warned him that VR hangover can last pretty long. I purchased about 5 games so far. Looking at a few more. The climb looks really interesting to me.

Kagero

Does anyone know if they make a replacement face cover for the oculus 2? Or does anyone know if the ones for oculus 1 would be compatible? Mine is going to get gross fast. I’m taking about third party, and not to official ones.

SF Kosmo

Does anyone know if they make a replacement face cover for the oculus 2? Or does anyone know if the ones for oculus 1 would be compatible? Mine is going to get gross fast. I’m taking about third party, and not to official ones.
They do! You can get them directly from the Oculus website, but they're still made by VRCover. Unfortunately Oculus is a bit slammed right now so don't expect it to ship the next day. I ordered mine on Tuesday and it still hasn't gone out.

Also worth noting, the VRCover is not compatible with the glasses spacer. I don't know why, but I have read that from more than one person, so keep it in mind.

Kagero

They do! You can get them directly from the Oculus website, but they're still made by VRCover. Unfortunately Oculus is a bit slammed right now so don't expect it to ship the next day. I ordered mine on Tuesday and it still hasn't gone out.

Also worth noting, the VRCover is not compatible with the glasses spacer. I don't know why, but I have read that from more than one person, so keep it in mind.
Estimated shipping date isn’t until Nov :/ man I don’t want to wait that long. Might take a chance on some cheap ones on amazon, but those are made for the original oculus.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Bubba77

as a rift S owner with a 2080ti powering it I am floored at the quality of the Quest 2 . Got it today and went through a couple of games. Playing without a wire is incredible. In Robot recall I can just turn vs using the buttons to turn me around. I am very impressed with the visuals this little chip is pumping out. Cant wait to see the next Gen or 2 meet and beat Rift S experience.

CloudNull

Banned
as a rift S owner with a 2080ti powering it I am floored at the quality of the Quest 2 . Got it today and went through a couple of games. Playing without a wire is incredible. In Robot recall I can just turn vs using the buttons to turn me around. I am very impressed with the visuals this little chip is pumping out. Cant wait to see the next Gen or 2 meet and beat Rift S experience.
To think the first Oculus prototype was 2015 I believe, quest 1 was 1.5 years ago and now we are here. I cannot wait to see where we are it in another 5 years.

SF Kosmo

My set up is extremely unoptimal for wireless play (no direct connection to router, router is cable company BS, live in building with 1000 other Wi-Fi routers competing for spectrum), but decided to give it a go anyway and... even then it was playable. Not optimal. I dropped frames, noticed a bit of latency, etc, but it worked and really didn't look bad at all. If I actually had a good set up, I bet it would be amazing.

Wireless VR on Vive Pro or TPCast with Rift was always a pain in the ass, anyway, so I could see this beign the best wireless PC VR choice right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom