• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Are there any special codes in the box for the pre-ordered rifts in comparison to the retail ones? I got the email code for VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken already and redeemed that, but since my Touch still hasn't arrived yet (lost at UPS), I'm thinking about just finding a Best Buy in the area and buying one (and returning the other if I ever get it).

I heard mention of some other free software that you get when you activate the controllers themselves, but I wanted to check in case the ones I activate from Best Buy aren't eligible for the free software or something.

Are there any special codes in the box for the pre-ordered rifts in comparison to the retail ones? I got the email code for VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken already and redeemed that, but since my Touch still hasn't arrived yet (lost at UPS), I'm thinking about just finding a Best Buy in the area and buying one (and returning the other if I ever get it).

I heard mention of some other free software that you get when you activate the controllers themselves, but I wanted to check in case the ones I activate from Best Buy aren't eligible for the free software or something.

I don't believe there's any limitation as to where you get it (unless there's some timed limitation like it won't work in a few months when you activate).

I've seen people from BB and Amazon getting the "Upon Activation" games.

The Ripcoil being free with a Store purchase is the only one I know that isn't pre-order and is timed.

This is a good reddit post on it.

As to your specific question, I got mine from Oculus and there were no special codes or anything, just the email after the card was charged and the free games upon activation.

Plus the demo Bullet Train will 'become' a full fledged game that's free (not sure if Bullet Train just becomes the full game or a separate item on the store) once that's launched sometime next year.

I don't believe there's any limitation as to where you get it (unless there's some timed limitation like it won't work in a few months when you activate).

The Ripcoil being free with a Store purchase is the only one I know that isn't pre-order and is timed.

As to your specific question, I got mine from Oculus and there were no special codes or anything, just the email after the card was charged and the free games upon activation.

Plus the demo Bullet Train will 'become' a full fledged game that's free (not sure if Bullet Train just becomes the full game or a separate item on the store) once that's launched sometime next year.

Ahh, thanks for all the info!

Seriously guys, Ripcoil is where it's at! If you haven't given it a try, you should. So much fun

Need to try this out. Just got done playing several rounds of Space Pirate Trainer. Wow, got this weird Space Invaders de ja vu feeling while playing it. We've come a long way. I can see many sessions of this game as I keep trying to beat my high score. I also see this as a great game to show other people what VR/Touch can do.

What's been everyone's favorite game to demo to people for touch so far?

Bullet Train has been it for me, but I think SPT might top it now that I've given it a go.

Delt31

Came to the touch game a little late and missed preorder bonus. Damn was that any store? Didn't even hear about it. Still got many free but wanted vr sports and unspoken. That's 60 bucks. Nice pre order

Cool, thanks!

EDIT: Just used it, you get a lot more tracking than I initially thought. I think I just start losing it far back unless I turn the controllers 'up' so the ring is really visible, right about 12' from the sensor is where I start seeing it drop a little. So when I get the 3rd sensor I should have my 10' x 8' playable area fully covered!

Came to the touch game a little late and missed preorder bonus. Damn was that any store? Didn't even hear about it. Still got many free but wanted vr sports and unspoken. That's 60 bucks. Nice pre order

Pretty sure it was any store, but somebody else could clarify.

My thoughts after a few hours of play:

Unspoken is fun, I've just played the practice stuff but I could see myself playing the MP once I get more comfortable with the controls. Haven't given VR Sports too much time yet, the basketball was OK, but I think I'll come back to a lot of these games after familiarizing myself with the controls some more.

The Climb is really weird with Touch. With the controller I felt like I was on a mountain, with Touch I feel like I'm just pulling the world to me. I hope they update so your head is more stationary and the hands are free (like the controller version) because I just don't feel like I'm climbing rather than pulling it to me.

I have to say, the controllers are second nature. They are a little weird to hold in games where you aren't supposed to always hold down the 'grab' button (not trigger). I find myself feeling like I'm going to drop them when I only have gravity and my bottom two fingers really able to 'grip' that's not a button.

Again, might just take some getting used to.

All and all, 100% satisfied so far. They are amazing, as I knew they would be. Definitely something I was jealous of with the Vive was the tracked controllers for the past few months. I don't have the space for a huge play area, but I do have enough room (about 10'x8') to really have some fun and move around.

I started having issues with vive games using my limited rift setup last night. The main thing is how games have so much action behind you and the teleport has to way to recenter what you want in front of you. All we need is an arrow that points to where you want to be forward when you teleport, but vive games don't care cause it's not a problem for them. I just don't have space to make any good use of a third sensor.

It's such a simple fix too, as long as things are generally in front of me I am fine.

I'm pretty sure my USB 3.0 ports aren't working properly. I'm getting jumping and stuttering in the Touch controls, and now sometimes the headset will stutter too. Weird since I didn't have any of these problems a week ago.

I ordered this so hopefully after installation, things should work better.

Okay, so an update:

After installing the extra USB 3.0 slots... the tracking is still wonky. A hand will jump when I'm just standing still but can be worse with movement. I have noticed that putting down one hand by my side (i.e. not tracking it) makes the remaining Touch controller work perfectly well. I opened a ticket with Oculus support, but it does look like other people have had this issue too.

Anyways, I'll keep trying some other things, but for right now, it's not reliable enough to use consistently.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, SuperHot VR is preeeeeeetty good. It is rather short but an extremely enjoyable experience. I think I sweat more playing SuperHot VR than anything.

Also did The Climb. Same level I demoed at Best Buy only so far. I am curious to see the other mountain tops.

I Expect You to Die was not as fun as I was hoping. It is too frustrating to die and have to do the sequence of events all over again. I'm stuck at what I assume is the last puzzle for level 2. If anyone has any tips I'm at the part where
the bomb leaves the building when I put in the health? chemical (from the drawing in the locker). I know I can shoot the panels off the bomb thing, but what then?

All play pretty well on the Vive with ReVive. IEYTD is the only one that really became a nuisance. I am eagerly awaiting my touch controls before I get back into that game.

My goodness. I know it's been said hundreds of times already but SUPERHOT is absolutely fantastic. And I thought it would be less tiring then Dead and Buried, but boy oh boy, I'm super sweaty right now. These Touch games are the first time I've started sweating inside of the Rift's enclosed "non-breathable" space.

SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.

Buzzbrad

Well, SuperHot VR is preeeeeeetty good. It is rather short but an extremely enjoyable experience. I think I sweat more playing SuperHot VR than anything.

Also did The Climb. Same level I demoed at Best Buy only so far. I am curious to see the other mountain tops.

I Expect You to Die was not as fun as I was hoping. It is too frustrating to die and have to do the sequence of events all over again. I'm stuck at what I assume is the last puzzle for level 2. If anyone has any tips I'm at the part where
the bomb leaves the building when I put in the health? chemical (from the drawing in the locker). I know I can shoot the panels off the bomb thing, but what then?

All play pretty well on the Vive with ReVive. IEYTD is the only one that really became a nuisance. I am eagerly awaiting my touch controls before I get back into that game.

How was The Climb? Considering buying it and using ReVive for it. Worth the money?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How was The Climb? Considering buying it and using ReVive for it. Worth the money?

I did the launch 5 pack thing for $90. Worth it in that case because you get IEYTD, SuperHot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and The Climb. I haven't played enough to know if I think it's worth the $50 price tag tbh. I am going to guess probably not. It's a cool experience though and is the best out of the bundle (so far). You use the triggers instead of the grips, which makes for less hand strain.

Buzzbrad

I did the launch 5 pack thing for $90. Worth it in that case because you get IEYTD, SuperHot VR, Space Pirate Trainer, and The Climb. I haven't played enough to know if I think it's worth the $50 price tag tbh. I am going to guess probably not. It's a cool experience though and is the best out of the bundle (so far). You use the triggers instead of the grips, which makes for less hand strain.

I am actually very tempted to get the launch bundle. I do own Space Pirate Trainer though, but the other games look very tempting. Still worth it if I own SPT?

Just wanted to add to the voices saying that SUPERHOT VR is amazing. I don't know if I've ever felt more badass in my life.

I also highly recommend wall mounting the Oculus sensors.

Septimius

I've gotten Superhot and with it Ripcoil in preparation for getting my Touch tomorrow. I'd get a third game too. Recommendations? Job Simulator? Seems like a pretty steep price, and I don't really "get" it from the videos I've seen. Is it different when you play it?

Wallach

I've gotten Superhot and with it Ripcoil in preparation for getting my Touch tomorrow. I'd get a third game too. Recommendations? Job Simulator? Seems like a pretty steep price, and I don't really "get" it from the videos I've seen. Is it different when you play it?

Assuming you're getting The Unpoken and Dead & Buried with the Touch, I'd suggest probably The Climb, Arizona Sunshine, or The Gallery Ep. 1.

I got Job Simulator with the Vive, and while it is a neat game to go through once I can't say it left an impression on me, and don't think there is much to go back for. The Climb and Arizona Sunshine seem like they have more content, and The Gallery was a more impressive "one and done" kind of experience.

Septimius

So I'm guessing the test to if I need a third sensor is just to start using two, and if that doesn't work well enough, get a third one? 90 EUR is pretty steep, so I'm reluctant to just sprint for one.

membran

I tested the Touch controllers over the weekend. Compared to the Vive, the tracking is basically the same fidelity - when it works. The index/thumb "tracking" is a nice touch, but nothing to write home about since it's a binary state with fixed animation and especially the index finger tends to spread out at a different angle than your real one most of the time.

The problem are the setup and cables. It's still very apparent that the Rift CV1 wasn't designed with "proper" roomscale in mind. The Rift sensor's requirement to be tethered to the PC via USB, resulting in extension cords on the floor is a bit of a mess and you'd probably want three sensors for that. With the Vive, you only need the two Lighthouse boxes and they don't need to be connected to the PC, which is a much cleaner solution.
With the Rift sensors, I haven't tried the diagonal setup yet (my USB 3.0 extension cable is on its way), but even with two front-facing sensors tracking was there almost all the time, I only did get some blind spots in the back area (as you'd expect).

The other problem is the length of the cable that runs directly into the Oculus HMD itself. It's just to short. My PC is more or less directly in one of the corners of the play area, but I cannot create as big a play area or move about as freely within it as with the Vive. The cable length just doesn't let me, I can feel it beginning to pull at half the length I could go with the Vive (which cable is really long) - for example, with the Vive I can easily reach the far back wall without the cable beginning to pull - with the Rift, I cannot even get close enough to that wall to touch it by reaching out (play area on the Vive is 3m by 2m and maxed out my available room corner space; it's more like 1.80mx1.80m on the Rift, limited by the HMD tether). Looking at solutions on google, it appears you can buy HDMI extensions (and yet another USB extension...), but have to be wary which one works, apparently with some brands the video doesn't get through. I cannot and do not want to move my play area or PC placement and I expect it's the same for many people.

So this would be my main point of critique regarding roomscale on the Rift. You likely need one more sensors, the sensors will likely introduce a cable mess to your room (or you can run proper cable canals, I guess), the Rift's HDMI/USB cable itself is way too short. You have to jump trough more hoops (cable management) and spend more money (third sensor, two USB extension cables, 1 HDMI extension) to get where Vive is out of the box. You maybe can forego the third sensor in a 2-sensor-diagonal setup, but still. Considering the price of the Touch controllers, I feel that they maybe should have included a 5m replacement cable for the Rift.

Lastly, the Guardian system comes up a tad bit late as opposed to the Vive's Chaperone. You have be careful to not hit the controller on the wall (which is something I seldom had a problem with on the Vive). It's as if on the Vive, the Chaperone grid comes up if you stand close enough to the edge that a swing of your arms could reach it (so you'd see the grid before you even swing your arm), where with the Guardian system, standing in the the same spot, the grid only comes up *during* the swing as the controller gets close to the edge, which is almost impossible to react to and stop the swing in time.
This may be configurable, I didn't go through it options yet. But at least out of the box, it's somewhat "late".

So yeah, when it works, when everything is set up and managed, the tracking is the same as the Vive. I'm still undecided which controllers I prefer, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. But I think if I want to go roomscale, I'd prefer the Vive. Racing games, I'd go with the Rift.

Delt31

When I play that game and lean to the left or right the inertia almost throws me completely off my feet. Its Weird!

my problem too. Really makes me sick - at least it did when I played it on the vive. Played it on the rift and although better (prob from experience), something about that movement gets to my head.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I am actually very tempted to get the launch bundle. I do own Space Pirate Trainer though, but the other games look very tempting. Still worth it if I own SPT?

I'd say yes. SuperHot VR is easily the best in the bundle. The Climb would probably be next for me (though a $50 price tag is too much in my opinion). It's very pretty and your first few climbs are really neat. I Expect You to Die is a neat concept but it gets repetitive if you are having trouble solving a puzzle. The Kingspray game is weird and I don't know that I really care for it.

I had SPT on Steam and wound up refunding it there. All together I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

Delt31

Bought a VR sports and unspoken code on ebay for 24. Not free but not bad considering standard price. I have high expectations for the unspoken.

Hint:
After you pull off the bomb panels you can see the poison chamber. There is a chain holding the chamber lid on.

Bookoo

Seriously guys, Ripcoil is where it's at! If you haven't given it a try, you should. So much fun

I am not a huge fan of the movement in that game. Leaning left and right feels really awkward, but maybe it would just take more practice to get used to it.

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of it?

Tain

I am not a huge fan of the movement in that game. Leaning left and right feels really awkward, but maybe it would just take more practice to get used to it.

It's a little finicky, yeah. I think it's a good idea and a fun game, but the dead zone should be adjustable and/or the analog stick should be an option.

MaulerX

Finally. The app everyone has been waiting for. Stream your Xbox One games to a virtual theater in Rift!
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1266881563371842/

Can't believe this thing was announced 1.5 years ago.

Just tried this. It worked pretty well for me but it goes without saying that you're going to take a hit on resolution. You get to chose between 3 environments and can adjust the screen in various ways (closer/further, higher/lower and screen curvature). Overall not bad and works as intended.

chris121580

I don't think there is but yeah it definitely takes some getting used to. After a couple games, you barely notice it

Apparently thanks to SteamVR acting like a middleman, everything (I think?) that listed Vive support now also lists Rift, without anything done by developer. That there's just a single "motion controllers" thing listed rather than having something separate for Vive controllers / Touch also muddies things. Unfortunately in not all cases does it actually work, or at least work well enough to be considered supported. I bought and then refunded Castle Must Be Mine since I couldn't get it working properly, and the developer confirmed Rift/Touch support hadn't properly been added yet. I ran across someone having similar issues with The Thrill of the Fight. One common issue being the game considers the player to be much lower than it should. For CMBM it's a tower defense game sat on a table, but when I started the game I was under the table. TTotF is boxing, and the person reported they seemed to be very short with the trainer looking down on them. In retrospect this being-too-low seems to be the case with Lazerbait as well, but I was still able to play it fine by just scrolling the map.

Apparently thanks to SteamVR acting like a middleman, everything (I think?) that listed Vive support now also lists Rift, without anything done by developer. That there's just a single "motion controllers" thing listed rather than having something separate for Vive controllers / Touch also muddies things. Unfortunately in not all cases does it actually work, or at least work well enough to be considered supported. I bought and then refunded Castle Must Be Mine since I couldn't get it working properly, and the developer confirmed Rift/Touch support hadn't properly been added yet. I ran across someone having similar issues with The Thrill of the Fight. One common issue being the game considers the player to be much lower than it should. For CMBM it's a tower defense game sat on a table, but when I started the game I was under the table. TTotF is boxing, and the person reported they seemed to be very short with the trainer looking down on them. In retrospect this being-too-low seems to be the case with Lazerbait as well, but I was still able to play it fine by just scrolling the map.

Google Earth is still Vive only.

Been playing so many games on steam. The library there is insane and a bunch of free stuff too. Now it's mostly room scale stuff but I've managed in get by barely in my tiny ass room with two cameras. The waltz of the wizard is really cool, try it out. There is some crazy trippy stuff like accounting. A horror RE like game called Organ Quarter, it's just a demo now, movement sucks but it's a neat experience. And I got H3 which is gun porn but very technical.

I'm going to go ahead and get Forgotten Realms, been dying for a Zelda like game on this.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'm going to go ahead and get Vanishing Realms, been dying for a Zelda like game on this.

FTFY.

I've been wanting to hear more on how well this works with Rift with the two camera set up. Not much discussion is going on about it in the Steam forum about it. I've been dying to play a Zelda-like as well.

FTFY.

I've been wanting to hear more on how well this works with Rift with the two camera set up. Not much discussion is going on about it in the Steam forum about it. I've been dying to play a Zelda-like as well.

Me too, but no one seems to have tried it so I don't mind being the ginuea pig. I feel like an absolute master of ghetto playing my way through room scale so I have no doubt I can play this.

The other problem is the length of the cable that runs directly into the Oculus HMD itself. It's just to short. My PC is more or less directly in one of the corners of the play area, but I cannot create as big a play area or move about as freely within it as with the Vive. The cable length just doesn't let me, I can feel it beginning to pull at half the length I could go with the Vive (which cable is really long) - for example, with the Vive I can easily reach the far back wall without the cable beginning to pull - with the Rift, I cannot even get close enough to that wall to touch it by reaching out (play area on the Vive is 3m by 2m and maxed out my available room corner space; it's more like 1.80mx1.80m on the Rift, limited by the HMD tether). Looking at solutions on google, it appears you can buy HDMI extensions (and yet another USB extension...), but have to be wary which one works, apparently with some brands the video doesn't get through. I cannot and do not want to move my play area or PC placement and I expect it's the same for many people.

Here's a tip - If you have both a rift and a Vive (assuming you aren't doing it already), you can plug the Rift into the Vive breakout box to get a few extra feet away from your computer and to avoid the hassle of plugging things into the back of the machine. Only downside to this from my testing is that I tend to have to restart the PC if I'm going to switch between them in one play session.

My play space is 3mx2m (with some extra on certain sides) and I can easily reach it with both Vive and Rift this way (front facing setup is all I've tried so far)

Tain

Here's a tip - If you have both a rift and a Vive (assuming you aren't doing it already), you can plug the Rift into the Vive breakout box to get a few extra feet away from your computer and to avoid the hassle of plugging things into the back of the machine. Only downside to this from my testing is that I tend to have to restart the PC if I'm going to switch between them in one play session.

oh shit, never thought of this

fwpx

My play space is 3mx2m (with some extra on certain sides) and I can easily reach it with both Vive and Rift this way (front facing setup is all I've tried so far)

I don't own a vive, but i actually bought the breakout box separately just to get myself some extra cord, made a huge difference.

BizzyBum

Finally got my sensors working after some tinkering and yeah, this is pretty damn cool. Did the short tutorial and about an hour of superhot.

But oh boy, my motion sickness kicked in after that hour. I had the Rift at launch and played a bit and had the same feeling and haven't played it for months until now. I think it's worse with Touch because I was standing and moving around a lot more then just sitting down. I guess I just need to play about an hour a day to get some VR legs so I can play some longer sessions in the future.

Another thing I didn't account for was just how large of an area you need. I was using a good side chunk of my room and I still felt restricted by my play area. If the tech continues to grow I need to dedicate a full room to VR in the future for room scale and hopefully wireless headsets.

Top Bottom