• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

In some ways it isn't. I wish this had screens like HMZ does, but then who knows how much it would cost.
I really think there's going to be a problem with resolution with these visors, but for the price it's hard to complain.

The screens are "worse" in fidelity and nothing else, but the latency is so much better. Underlying OLED latency is probably even less than what this has, but Sony's system has so much overhead and crap weighing it down, increasing latency to something like 30ms, as opposed to less than 10 with this device.

1-D_FTW

In some ways it isn't. I wish this had screens like HMZ does, but then who knows how much it would cost.
I really think there's going to be a problem with resolution with these visors, but for the price it's hard to complain.

Which is kind of why I'm really excited, but probably won't jump in quite yet. The HMZ had two 720P screens and the pixel structure really annoyed me with even that.

I'll take Carmack's word for it that the wow of the FOV will offset the negativity of the pixel structure somewhat. And the price is absolutely fantastic. But these type of devices most definitely scream for 1080P or more. Thankfully that doesn't seem very far off and it seems they're making these modular so you should be able to rip things out and replace them.

The screens are "worse" in fidelity and nothing else, but the latency is so much better. Underlying OLED latency is probably even less than what this has, but Sony's system has so much overhead and crap weighing it down, increasing latency to something like 30ms, as opposed to less than 10 with this device.

OLED doesn't have any underlying latency. It's just crap that Sony added. And Carmack was able to measure it and it's 50ms. Which is right around what I was guessing.

Jarmel

Banned
That resolution is really scaring me off for the time being. Hopefully they can upgrade it down the road when they release the consumer version. I would love to see a 1080p version of this.

Vesper73

This is so exciting! Full Field of View VR! Finally!

This will make the next generation of consoles feel quite underwhelming if they don't integrate support for this.

Me thinks that it is almost a certainty that the next Xbox and Playstation will support this device, as they've already got Unreal Engine support underway!

And with Valve support, the sky is the limit! Can't wait for Portal VR!

The future is bright!

Anyone know if, seeing as John Carmack has been pushing this, if we'll see Skyrim VR before it is released?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Really looking forward to Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon tomorrow, should be really interesting. Any ideas if it's being streamed?

I'm not sure if Carmack's keynotes are streamed, but they are later uploaded to YouTube.

Amagon

I pledge $35. Would really like to pledge for the device but since I am not a developer, it wouldn't do much for me right now. Though, I am there day 1 when the consumer version comes out. Really rad to see all the supporters in this video and especially hearing Carmack backing this project. You just know that this device got something going on.

aasoncott

The early prototype could not be worn with glasses. If you modify it to stand off far enough from the face to allow glasses, the fov will be reduced a lot. One reason it can be so light is that it has smallish lenses very close to your eyes.

;_;

I've been waiting for affordable VR for years and years and years. It's always been a bit of an obsession for me. But there's no way I could use it without glasses.

Gilby

I wonder what this would be like for digital artwork (modeling, painting, etc.). Could be really useful actually.

Vesper73

It will reach 500k and from there it will be slow crawl. If they reach 2/3 of the mil, i will be impressed.

I'll bet this continues to speed up. QuakeCon isn't until Friday. I suspect when people and the media get their hands on this, (and experience the immersion factor), it will go even more crazy from there!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The Oculus Rift contains a 1280 x 800 screen split in two — 640 x 800 for each eye.

The problem with these numbers is that to the untrained it might sound a lot worse than the experience it offers. I'd bet that most people who complain about resolution would be more than impressed if they experienced it. If the resolution really was hindering then I doubt that it would have these high profile backers at this point in time.

Durante

That certainly didn't take long.

The problem with these numbers is that to the untrained it might sound a lot worse than the experience it offers. I'd bet that most people who complain about resolution would be more than impressed if they experienced it.
Yeah. With a PC, at that res, you can really pile on the SSAA, resulting in a superior effective resolution to most current-gen console games. Also, with stereoscopic 3D you can generally resolve more detail.

Alexlf

Yeah. With a PC, at that res, you can really pile on the SSAA, resulting in a superior effective resolution to most current-gen console games. Also, with stereoscopic 3D you can generally resolve more detail.

Also because of the fish-eye optics the pixel density will be greater towards the center of your view, where it's really important.

Since the 100 unassembled prototypes are sold out now, anyone else on GAF got one?

I managed to snag one right before they sold out.

1-D_FTW

Just to ratchet down expectations a bit, all the IQ enhancements in the world won't prevent people from seeing the pixel structure if they have good eyesight.

I thought it was very distracting on the HMZ, and that was even higher resolution.

There's a reason Carmack has bordered on being apologetic in some of his interviews and has pleaded with people to focus on the big picture. It's not going to be a lush, seemless view. But it will continue to improve:)

Durante

Just to ratchet down expectations a bit, all the IQ enhancements in the world won't prevent people from seeing the pixel structure if they have good eyesight.
Sure, you really can't expect not being able to discern pixels with 640 of them stretched across a 90° horizontal FoV per eye. I just want to stress that the overall amount of resolvable detail and IQ will actually be higher than current-gen console games, since people could just look at the resolution in isolation and not realize that.

This is the only piece of gaming hardware that i actually care about for the next few years other than the Wii U. If this thing takes off, it would effectively breathe life into fantastic OLD games, which is VERY exciting. I've been waiting for good VR for about 10 years. I don't even care about Xbox 720 and PS4 because the interface will finally change the experience.

I. can. not. wait.

The sooner this hits retail and is fully supported (on consoles), the better.

Vol5

How excited am I for this please? Had to donate $300 for the assembled dev kit.

Think about what your getting here....a possible game-changer plus 100's of likely mods from what will probably pop-up thanks to the indies and devs....they also drop in a working copy of Doom BFG. EG said the resolution was sub-hd but the immersion was incredible, so I'm more than willing to have a little taste of this technology.

All over this with HUGE interest.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Fallout VR.....Just try to imagine!

All Bethesda First Person based games. Oh man. When I buy the consumer version I'm going to play ever single First Person based RPG ever.

Edit: Holy Shit at Notch throwing in 10K and talking about support for it. Feels like we're really on the cusp of VR becoming huge. Glorious day, yo.

How excited am I for this please? Had to donate $300 for the assembled dev kit.

Think about what your getting here....a possible game-changer plus 100's of likely mods from what will probably pop-up thanks to the indies and devs....they also drop in a working copy of Doom BFG. EG said the resolution was sub-hd but the immersion was incredible, so I'm more than willing to have a little taste of this technology.

All over this with HUGE interest.

Isnt the one on Kickstarter more or less like a dev-kit? Wonder if it can really play the "commercial" games later, when the consumer-product will come it.

But really love it. Wont pay 300$ to get a dev-kit, but really interested in this piece of technology.

Fuck it, I hate having money anyways. In for $300.

Are people made of money? How do people have so much to throw away on all these countless kickstarters that seem to rake in so much? I thought the American economy sucked.

Edit: oh, you get a hardware product for $300. A little different. Overall point still kinda stands.

Ordinator

I caved...the hype got me. I'm in for $300. Notch's support pushed me over the edge. Rift + Minecraft...can't wait.

Hope I'm not expecting too much from this thing.

Vol5

Are people made of money? How do people have so much to throw away on all these countless kickstarters that seem to rake in so much? I thought the American economy sucked.

Your right, there's countless kickstarters but there's undoubtedly something special about this...I mean, fuck, if Gabe likes it, I like it.

Durante

Edit: oh, you get a hardware product for $300. A little different. Overall point still kinda stands.
Not really. For what you get, this is incredibly cheap. To give you an idea, the kit was rumored to be 500-600 USD when Palmer started the whole process, and everyone into VR was enthusiastic about the affordable price.

Edit: Holy Shit at Notch throwing in 10K and talking about support for it. Feels like we're really on the cusp of VR becoming huge. Glorious day, yo.
I'm probably the only person who could get enticed to buy Minecraft once it fully supports the Rift, and not the other way around.

Gilby

All Bethesda First Person based games. Oh man. When I buy the consumer version I'm going to play ever single First Person based RPG ever.

VR + Minecraft/whatever the sci-fi project was called = hypestravaganza!

jack.

Banned
I think I'm going to have to back this for $300. I figure I will be able to recoup at least most of my money on eBay if it turns out I don't like this thing.

Top Bottom