• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath Vita |OT| Something Odd in your pants

Tizoc

e1LX0.jpg

Developer: Oddworld Inhabitants (Original) & Just Add Water (HD)
Publisher: Oddworld Inhabitants
Release Date: 18 December (US PSN) / 19 December (EU PSN)
Genre: Action/Adventure
Price: $14.99/€11.99/£9.99
Size: 1.5 Gigabytes

OT by Tizoc and LiquidSolid
Subtitle suggested by Yagharek

Stranger's Wrath is an action adventure game with FPS elements. You play as the bounty hunter Stranger, who is charged with taking down outlaws using various Critters, found throughout the game, as ammunition. Each Critter has a unique ability which can be used to capture enemies. Enemies can be caught dead or alive, but are worth more alive. Money is then used to buy other weapons, upgrades and ammunition.

Reviews
SixthAxis have provided their impression about the Vita ver.:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/12...-with-strangers-wrath-hd-on-playstation-vita/
Also has screenshots of the Vita version, but based on their write-up the game looks much better than what the images show.

Allaboutthegames review

...and here's a review for the PS3 ver. from Eurogamer crica December 2011:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-oddworld-strangers-wrath-hd-review

N30RYU

Gold Member
Buyed ther PS3 version before it was free for PS+ users, and now I'm gonna guy it for PSVita.

And will buy Munch's PS3 in january (european localized version won't be out the 19th) and Munch's Vita in february...

Sol1dus

I bought the ps3 version but didn't get to far. I'll probably beat that and if I really enjoy it, fork out the cash for this.

N30RYU

Gold Member
same here (got $50 code from Amazon for both this and Sonic Racing 2) but I am worried about the framerate because yesterday I read it dips to like 20fps at times.
They said it only dip to 20 just while the game loads a certain new area full of stuff and effects happening around.

same here (got $50 code from Amazon for both this and Sonic Racing 2) but I am worried about the framerate because yesterday I read it dips to like 20fps at times.

It only drops to 20 in one area at the very end of the game. And even then it doesn't last very long at all :)

VanWinkle

It only drops to 20 in one area at the very end of the game. And even then it doesn't last very long at all :)

I tried to explain that to him and he keeps saying it does it often. I don't understand him.

Any news regarding a discount for us who bought the PS3 version?

V_Ben

Banned
Writing up my impressions of the Vita version now, been playing with it for a bit. In short? It's bloody good, and super impressive to have Stranger on a portable.

VanWinkle

Writing up my impressions of the Vita version now, been playing with it for a bit. In short? It's bloody good, and super impressive to have Stranger on a portable.

Awesome. Put the link in here as soon as you finish writing it. How are the graphics?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
There are some noticeable cutbacks of course, but it still looks great. Definitely one of the more impressive 3D games on the platform.

:/

devs should've ported the original Xbox version to Vita then instead of downporting the HD one(maybe we will even get better performance that way).

OmegaZero

He really does. He completely ignored his other positive points.

But that's why we love him.

Anyway, all I want is for it too look nice (native res usually = nice for me), run well (30fps or higher most of the time sounds well to me) and play well (which is to be determined).

I'm not sold on the idea of back touch for melee in FP mode and double-tapping the touch screen to switch between FP and TP mode, but I guess I'll have to see when I download it.

Hopefully you can customize the controls to some degree.

VanWinkle

But that's why we love him.

Anyway, all I want is for it too look nice (native res usually = nice for me), run well (30fps or higher most of the time sounds well to me) and play well (which is to be determined).

I'm not sold on the idea of back touch for melee in FP mode and double-tapping the touch screen to switch between FP and TP mode, but I guess I'll have to see when I download it.

Hopefully you can customize the controls to some degree.

Haven't heard about that. Hmm...I'm not completely against that as I'm not a huge critic of touch use, but we'll have to see how that works out. Definitely doesn't make me not want to get it or anything like that.

OmegaZero

Haven't heard about that. Hmm...I'm not completely against that as I'm not a huge critic of touch use, but we'll have to see how that works out. Definitely doesn't make me not want to get it or anything like that.

This review, originally tweeted by JAW claims:

CHAZZH69 said:
You can play in either first or third person views with a double tap of the touch screen.

Also, the SixthAxis preview in the OP mentions that:

Dan Lee said:
What I’m not a fan of is the melee attacks being mapped to the rear touch pad when you’re in first person view. I have rather large hands (yes yes, settle down) so frequently found myself brushing the rear touch pad and causing Stranger to melee attack when I didn’t want him to. Hardly game-breaking, but worth mentioning.

Yagharek

In Oddworld, icecream eats you.

Out of interest, beyond the discussions in the sixaxis review, is there any detail on the controls and whether there are multiple presets or customisable control options? The only thing that concerns me is the switch between 1st/3rd person, however it will probably be easy to adjust to if Uncharted is anything to go by.

For me, third person perspective comes in handy when you screw up an assault on a base, and need to get out fast.

Luigi87

I got Oddworld pack on PC when it launched.
I waited for the HD Upgrade of this before playing.
I still have only played the beginning...
And now I'm tempted to just double-dip and get this Vita ver, because... Portability is awesome.
@_@

:/

devs should've ported the original Xbox version to Vita then instead of downporting the HD one(maybe we will even get better performance that way).

So instead of just having some noticeable cutbacks to the graphics, you think it should've had some incredibly obvious cutbacks to the graphics. Are you crazy?

Chris_C

Will most likely pick this up on Friday, along with Escape Plan. Still haven't finished P4 Golden and MGS HD Collection though.

Do we know what the filesize is? My Vita memory card is so full.

Tapping the backtouch for melee!?

Ugh, I really hated that in MGS3HD. Do we know if the control scheme is tweakable?

I mean its a concern because of how I hold my vita. Fingers are always wrapped around the back. Like basically the PSX emulator was unplayable for me until Sony updated the FW

Flunkie

Banned
I got Oddworld pack on PC when it launched.
I waited for the HD Upgrade of this before playing.
I still have only played the beginning...
And now I'm tempted to just double-dip and get this Vita ver, because... Portability is awesome.
@_@

ha.. this is exactly where I am at

Top Bottom