• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no point in replying to you. You just offer up the same bs reply every time. You are here to minimize the extremism of Era. If you are genuine about how we are no different then Era start offering up some proof like i did starting with a direct comparison to the Tucker Carlson tread on Era, show me something here on this forum that rivals that animalistic thread.

Like the guy in the other thread who wanted to execute all journalists? I know you’re going to reply with “well he got banned” and you’re right, but all that says is that mods on here are less tolerable with threats and personal attacks. It doesn’t change my point in any way though. I’m talking about the site as a whole and the people that post there, you guys seem to be talking about the moderation. I wouldn’t argue against anyone talking bad about the moderation over there, I’ve called out mods for being too ban happy.
What evidence do they have? Just because they "REEEEEEEEEEEEEE" doesn't change the fact they're a site full of racists.

3cvQGpJ.png

If you’re willing to look at my posts from today (same username over there) you’ll see that i called out that exact poster specifically for posts like that, as did many others, most others in the thread infact. That doesn’t mean the site is full of racists however, it simply isn’t.

JordanN

Banned
Also, just because someone calls a person a "Nazi" doesn't mean they are.

Trump is a Nazi. Kavanaugh is a Nazi. Bernie Sanders is a Nazi. Gandhi is a Nazi. Puppies are Nazis.

Resetera uses the word "Nazi" for anyone that isn't extreme SJW. You could be a climate change believing, free healthcare and education for all loving person, but if you dare suggest immigration should be lowered by 2%, you are automatically worse than all the Nuremberg criminals.

It's just a silly word in 2018 used to demonize opinions.

Hell, SJW's have been calling people Nazis since the 1970s. By their logic, America has always been run by Nazis, REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

x6ggu2P.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
We have a vibrant, legitimately diverse community emerging here.

Most importantly, that diversity is of thought. Hi I'm a leftie wanker. There are plenty of guys on the right here. We chat about all sorts of stuff, and find common ground, disagree on stuff, but mostly keep it civil. Frankly it's the best forum I've found in fucking ages.

Solomeena

Banned
Like the guy in the other thread who wanted to execute all journalists? I know you’re going to reply with “well he got banned” and you’re right, but all that says is that mods on here are less tolerable with threats and personal attacks. It doesn’t change my point in any way though. I’m talking about the site as a whole and the people that post there, you guys seem to be talking about the moderation. I wouldn’t argue against anyone talking bad about the moderation over there, I’ve called out mods for being too ban happy.

Again, you go back to ONE PERSON IN ONE THREAD that was a complete asshole who was warned by mods to knock the extremism off. How are you comparing one guy here to beyond multiple people in one thread on Era wanting to kill Tucker, his wife and his kids and to doxx him to. See you are just not even able to give me a good comparison at all.

Again, you go back to ONE PERSON IN ONE THREAD that was a complete asshole who was warned by mods to knock the extremism off. How are you comparing one guy here to beyond multiple people in one thread on Era wanting to kill Tucker, his wife and his kids and to doxx him to. See you are just not even able to give me a good comparison at all.

You’re being very defensive and I’m not entirely sure why. It’s like you’re taking what I’m saying personally. I’m very clearly trying to have an actual discussion here, you seem more interested in trying to shun the outsider from the rival gang. I’ve been back here like 2 days, I’m not going to go digging through old threads, nor does it even matter to the point I’m making. If you want to take that as a win the go ahead because I honestly don’t care.

Also i just realised that you’re the guy from the other thread who was confidently asserting that “90%” Of Era was racist and bigoted, then when asked to back it up said “you can see it for yourself!”. Irony isn’t lost on you I hope.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
You’re being very defensive and I’m not entirely sure why. It’s like you’re taking what I’m saying personally. I’m very clearly trying to have an actual discussion here, you seem more interested in trying to shun the outsider from the rival gang. I’ve been back here like 2 days, I’m not going to go digging through old threads, nor does it even matter to the point I’m making. If you want to take that as a win the go ahead because I honestly don’t care.

Also i just realised that you’re the guy from the other thread who was confidently asserting that “90%” Of Era was racist and bigoted, then when asked to back it up said “you can see it for yourself!”. Irony isn’t lost on you I hope.

Can you knock it off with your little meme with being defensive? I am responding to you and giving you proof of why you are wrong and you are just trying to deflect and not actually give me a reason to believe your bullshit response. Either come at me with some proof or stop trying to base your assumption on one guy in one thread while there are thread after thread of proof of how terrible Era is, i know you love Era just own up to it.

Can you knock it off with your little meme with being defensive? I am responding to you and giving you proof of why you are wrong and you are just trying to deflect and not actually give me a reason to believe your bullshit response. Either come at me with some proof or stop trying to base your assumption on one guy in one thread while there are thread after thread of proof of how terrible Era is, i know you love Era just own up to it.

And now you’re just being aggressive and resorting to attacks. I’m still waiting from your proof that 90% of people over there are racist and bigoted if that’s the road you want to take here.

You’re using weird terminology here. I don’t “love” era. It’s a message board. I post there, and sometimes I agree with what others post and sometimes I don’t. I’m ambivalent to the platform itself. You on the other hand seem to take it as a very personal thing.

But you’re doing what I talked about earlier

It’s madness, it’s like people on here and era are so quick to shut down anyone who claims their chosen site is a hive mind and that the other site is full of people who are crazy and dangerous. without realising that both sites are just a collection of people, most of whom are relatively normal and don’t get involved in any of the drama or extremism.

You’re so stuck in the “era is a hive mind” thing and painting everyone, me included, with the same brush. You’re doing exactly what they do when they call people here Neo Nazis, based on what is actually a minority.

Last edited:

ILLtown

You’re doing exactly what they do when they call people here Neo Nazis, based on what is actually a minority.
Name and shame the Neo Nazis. I mean, if they really are Neo Nazis, you'd be doing us a favour by listing them so the mods can ban them.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I’m referring more to the general attitude towards one another. This thread is a great example of it.

“People on reee are loonies, we’re much better people than they are” says guy who spends his free time in a thread dedicated to bitching about people on the other site.
I should go on the personal record that i don't share all the views expressed in this thread, despite being a heavy bitcher here aswell. I think it is worth discussing the excessives rather than the Oh i got banned, POS site talk. I understand people need to let go steam, but ultimately, that grows stale imo. :)

There has been a thread talking about suggestions, also about this aswell. Have you noticed it? If not, it is here.

It’s madness, it’s like people on here and era are so quick to shut down anyone who claims their chosen site is a hive mind and that the other site is full of people who are crazy and dangerous. without realising that both sites are just a collection of people, most of whom are relatively normal and don’t get involved in any of the drama or extremism.
Well, i wouldn't disagree with you on that. Definitely, some people are more direct than the others. The difference between both sites is that GAFfers usually tend to not go after you on more personal business, or cite posts from months ago to frame your position in a thread. That kind of dishonesty is not tolerated here or should be reportable if it isnt, but this is a daily recurrence on ERA.

What you see happening on ERA more often is an advocacy for violence/aggression/doxxing/and what not. That kind of stuff, so far i have been here, has been far less prevalent. That kind of consistent passive-aggressiveness helps nobody, and that's not even targetting this place whatsoever: That's what happens among themselves.

And it happens on era too, it’s not just a GAF thing, but at least Era doesn’t have a thread dedicated to insulting people from here.
I am not too fond of this argument. ''Both sites are bad, but hey, atleast this site does not have a running thread talking about us!'' - That does not make ERA a lesser evil whatsoever.

Both sites evidently have garbage people on them, and those garbage people making sweeping generalisations about the other site without realising the irony in what they’re doing.
Can you humor me with these generalizations? If its only one guy who does this, then that does not say everything about GAF, but if 10 are doing it, then yes, that's a problem.

Just teasing you a little. GAF is not declining faster than ever, silly pants. Post activity and engagement have skyrocketed lately, signal:noise ratios are better than they've been in a very long time, and people are conducting themselves far more like respectable adults than the clusterfuck we had circa 2016-2017.

People made their choices. There was a big mess to sort out, though, and lots of misunderstandings along the way, may of which have since been resolved. We have a vibrant, legitimately diverse community emerging here.
Now they have gotten the gotcha. That's the ultimate reward: Getting a poster from r/TheTyler. (I am kidding ofcourse.)
That being said, now that you mention visitor counts and all that.. i did had a talk with Bill about suggestions yesterday and this kind of data, although i haven't yet thought about the implementation, might be interesting aswell.

Either way, i think at some point the explanations from you and other staff about these should be stickied. If people still come here and point at the terrible things that this site does (apparently) then you can always point to that and if one does not read that, then ''by all means, you aren't obligated to respond'':messenger_winking:

Solomeena

Banned
And now you’re just being aggressive and resorting to attacks. I’m still waiting from your proof that 90% of people over there are racist and bigoted if that’s the road you want to take here.

You’re using weird terminology here. I don’t “love” era. It’s a message board. I post there, and sometimes I agree with what others post and sometimes I don’t. I’m ambivalent to the platform itself. You on the other hand seem to take it as a very personal thing.

But you’re doing what I talked about earlier

You’re so stuck in the “era is a hive mind” thing and painting everyone, me included, with the same brush. You’re doing exactly what they do when they call people here Neo Nazis, based on what is actually a minority.

You are literally doing everything possible to not back up any of your claims about this forum and you are trying to obfuscate it by saying that i am being aggressive and taking it personal. You are damn right i am taking it personal. I find it messed up that you walk away from this forum to go post on that extremist website Era to only come back here and start talking shit that we are no better then that festering pile of hate that is called Era. You are not interested in a conversation, you are just interested in pushing an agenda for that forum and defending it with ONE POST from a member here to say " SEE!!!!! See how similar Era & GAF are? This one guy here said a terrible thing = just as bad as dozens and dozens and dozens of posters who trash white poeple, men, conservatives and want violence and death here on Era!"

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, remember what your last batch of hand-picked people evolved into. If you give all control to these people - history will repeat and gaf will not recover again.

Not only do I remember, Beard and I went back and individually reviewed >1000 permabans with two passes on each ban, I've overturned hundreds of perms and individually emailed each person, and I have an intimate understanding of the various points of failure and the surrounding circumstances. Or ancient vb3 logging system was total crap and left avenues open for abuse of power to slip through unnoticed, I didn't implement enough safeguards against abuse of power, and I gave too much leeway to some people out of respect and consideration for their historic contributions to the site. I wanted to be fair to everyone, but that resulted in unfair outcomes for hundreds and hundreds of NeoGAF users and a disastrous eventual outcome.

We have far better logging and accountability checks now, and an open dialogue between the userbase and the mods/admins/me. We custom implemented a public ban record unprompted by the community because...fuck it, why not? We put in the legwork to establish trust and correct for previous injustices. There was no pushback against the notion internally; to the contrary. It's also an additional safeguard against abuse of power and a higher standard to hold individual moderation actions to.

Things have changed. Everything has been completely reevaluated and restructured. I don't fuck around. :goog_grinning_sweat:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think they had an issue with Kingdom Come: Deliverance. No black people in game (medieval East-Central Europe, lol) and one of the devs (Daniel Vavra) being a "bigot" and pro Gamer Gate. Fuckin loons.

Their loss - that and Yakuza 0 are games of the year imo.

You are literally doing everything possible to not back up any of your claims about this forum and you are trying to obfuscate it by saying that i am being aggressive and taking it personal. You are damn right i am taking it personal. I find it messed up that you walk away from this forum to go post on that extremist website Era to only come back here and start talking shit that we are no better then that festering pile of hate that is called Era. You are not interested in a conversation, you are just interested in pushing an agenda for that forum.

You’re taking all of this way too seriously. It’s just Internet forums, I don’t care enough to have an agenda.
I am not too fond of this argument. ''Both sites are bad, but hey, atleast this site does not have a running thread talking about us!'' - That does not make ERA a lesser evil

That’s really not what I was trying to imply. Take that comment in isolation, my thoughts that having a thread dedicated to bitching and mocking the other site isn’t me saying that I think GAF is worse for it. It’s just a bit of a sad thread.

Like the user below, for example. Who has in 3 posts used the “REEEEEE” meme 3 times, and is clearly actively watching the other site to find stuff to post here. The investment people on each side people put into mocking the other side is quite frankly pathetic, and I do think not having a thread like this over on Era is a positive.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Gravy Boat is being the metaphorical chess-playing pigeon here, engaging in fallacious argument, winding people up and calling them aggressive.

Redneckerz

That’s really not what I was trying to imply. Take that comment in isolation, my thoughts that having a thread dedicated to bitching and mocking the other site isn’t me saying that I think GAF is worse for it. It’s just a bit of a sad thread.
Alright, that's your view. I have seen that argument prior and on a basic level i agree with that. It is sad that this thread exists. It is even sadder that it exists based on the behavior of said site, imo.

Can you address the rest of my comment, please?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
omg stop taking video game message board so seriously [post after post of metacommentary about video game message boards] [evasive redirection psychoanalysis ad hominem] [refusal to support assertions with supporting evidence]

Blam

omg stop taking video game message board so seriously [post after post of metacommentary about video game message boards] [evasive redirection psychoanalysis ad hominem] [refusal to support assertions with supporting evidence]
lol.

I agree with this lmao when someone types too much i just give up and don't want to continue the debate.

Last edited:
Alright, that's your view. I have seen that argument prior and on a basic level i agree with that. It is sad that this thread exists. It is even sadder that it exists based on the behavior of said site, imo.

Can you address the rest of my comment, please?

I’m not ignoring it, Im on mobile so it’s difficult to properly respond to multi quote posts. Im not saying the doxxing (etc) stuff doesn’t happen or that I support it, just that again it’s a minority of people who do behave that way that’s being used to represent the whole site. You could argue that they represent the site poorly and If agree, but it’s still not a fair generalisation across the whole site, as the neonazi thing isn’t here.

You can have a discussion on something without thinking it’s super serious. The poster I was responding to definitely was getting too worked up. I’ve already said I’m not going to go digging through old threads so take from that whatever you want. I don’t think I’ve said anything that’s false or unreasonable.

Last edited:

Blam

I’m not ignoring it, Im on mobile so it’s difficult to properly respond to multi quote posts. Im not saying the doxxing (etc) stuff doesn’t happen or that I support it, just that again it’s a minority of people who do behave that way that’s being used to represent the whole site. You could argue that they represent the site poorly and If agree, but it’s still not a fair generalisation across the whole site, as the neonazi thing isn’t here.
I mean I wouldn't say minority for those doxxers or shit like that. Since that's their entire smash community. Willing to turn on their own members if that means those sweet sweet smash leaks it's disgusting.

Reply banned from thread. Pair the "concede" part with the "move on" part next time, please.
G Gravy Boat Back up your positions or concede and move on.

I already said I’m not going to did through old posts, I even said take that as a win if you want several posts ago.
I mean I wouldn't say minority for those doxxers or shit like that. Since that's their entire smash community. Willing to turn on their own members if that means those sweet sweet smash leaks it's disgusting.

It’s most definitely a minority. I’ve never even set foot in a Smash thread so I’ll be honest and say I’m not sure what you mean by that comment, but I’m able to browse and post while seeing very little of what you’re saying is a majority.

Redneckerz

I’m not ignoring it, Im on mobile so it’s difficult to properly respond to multi quote posts. Im not saying the doxxing (etc) stuff doesn’t happen or that I support it, just that again it’s a minority of people who do behave that way that’s being used to represent the whole site.
I coined a term for the staff and the users doing this: The Names and The Little Helpers.

Right, if it is a minority, then it actively fucks it up for the majority on ERA. Agree?

The fact that it happens on ERA is literally one thing you don't see here, so by that metric alone, the sites aren't comparable.

You could argue that they represent the site poorly and If agree, but it’s still not a fair generalisation across the whole site, as the neonazi thing isn’t here.
That minority is literally the reason why ERA is seen in such negative light - that's how much influence it has. You can't fault people for making that generalization then when the site itself has this sad case where a tiny group of people officially enforces policy for the 1000's of regular Joe's there.

If your argument solely is ''That isn't a fair generalization'': Okay, agree. And now what? How should we continue? If that's all that stands inbetween meeting in the middle or being adversed to one another as sites, then that isn't a big problem, right?

Mithos

Is that a thing? Which games?

Every game twitch do not allow to be streamed, and a few more games Era added themselves.

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1992676-list-of-prohibited-games

Era added games not allowed to discuss.

Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library
Gal Gun
Hatred
Huniepop
Monster Monpiece
Negligee: Love Stories
Omega Labyrinth Z
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura
Super Seducer: How to Talk to Girls
Super Seducer 2
Tits N Tanks

The lack of regulation of the minority in ERA is the big problem, though. The mod team is unwilling to deal with some of the bad behavior shown and encouraged in that forum in an immediate and deterrent manner. The issue with doxxing or harassment from ERA is not just a one-time issue. It is a recurring issue.

ILLtown

What are you talking about?
Perhaps I misinterpreted your post, but it seemed to me that you were saying that people on here say that Era is full of leftist nutters when it's really just a minority, while some people on Era think that this site is full of Neo Nazis, when it's really just a minority. Is that not what you mean? Cos if you're saying that Neo Nazis are the small minority, then you are still claiming that Neo Nazis post here and that nothing is done about it. I was asking you to back that assertion up.

If I completely misinterpreted your post, then I apologise, but I don't know how else to read it.

Redneckerz

tits n tanks lol
Kunths and Kants. Philosopher Immanuel Kant is faced with a difficult philosophical question: Is a Kunth always being or does he/she pretend that he/she could be someone or something else? Does he/she do this a-priori or post-priori?

... that actually would be an amazing game.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Was about to report him for concern trolling and other assorted nonsense. But it looks like the situation is under control!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of the 'concern trolling' thing - it's a bit like sea-lioning and other similar assorted phrases, typically just used as a way to avoid talking to someone who has a valid point to make. I'm not sure he was sincere enough to warrant that description.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

If you’re willing to look at my posts from today (same username over there) you’ll see that i called out that exact poster specifically for posts like that, as did many others, most others in the thread infact. That doesn’t mean the site is full of racists however, it simply isn’t.

You are right. The mods here actually *converse* and try to see the good in people before immediately hitting them with a ban hammer, especially if they have shown to be half decent folk before hand. People's emotions can run high, especially during politically-charged discourse. You know this better than most, given your post history. The mods gave Icky another chance and Icky threw that chance away.

EDIT: User was reply banned, my B. Should have finished catching up in the thread before posting. o/

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I'm not a fan of the 'concern trolling' thing - it's a bit like sea-lioning and other similar assorted phrases, typically just used as a way to avoid talking to someone who has a valid point to make. I'm not sure he was sincere enough to warrant that description.
I hear you. It shouldn't indiscriminately be used to discuss potentially valid discussion. But the seeming insincerity and disingenuousness of the posts make the description more apt, not less.

Every game twitch do not allow to be streamed, and a few more games Era added themselves.

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1992676-list-of-prohibited-games

Era added games not allowed to discuss.

Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library
Gal Gun
Hatred
Huniepop
Monster Monpiece
Negligee: Love Stories
Omega Labyrinth Z
Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal
Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura
Super Seducer: How to Talk to Girls
Super Seducer 2
Tits N Tanks
There are also games not on that list that will pretty much guarantee you a ban if post....the last night/kingdom come deliverance.....you wont get more then 3 posts before you are baited by the helpers and banned because they want to inject the extreme left sjw shit into everything.

Shmunter

That’s not a “sweeping generalisation”. I said that most people on both sites were normal, grounded and not involved in the drama. Saying that it’s a minority of people who are like that is quite literally the opposite of a sweeping statement.
While I’m enjoying my morning coffee...

As somebody that posts on both sites as it’s important to see everybody’s viewpoint. I’m firmly not with or against anybody and agree with certain positions from both sides of politics.

What you say is true, but it’s also true that Era presents itself as an extreme version of the left and is governed by despotism. Whereas Gaf is much more welcoming to any viewpoint. I have not seen any hate or despicable behaviour on here and hopefully never will. This is not the case on Era. Hate towards whites, or anybody that transgresses even in the slightest is apparent every minute of the day, and encouraged.

Furthermore Era is increasingly becoming more extreme. And if not already, some on there would be on a fed watchlist by now. It’s a total shame.

Ivellios

ERA also bans discussions of certain games, as well. This isn't the case here.

This is incorrect, they never completely banned discussion for any game, just prohibited anyone for disagreeing with them on certain topics

Example: In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, anyone who said Vavra and the game were not racist, were automatically banned. Gameplay and plot were allowed.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
This is incorrect, they never completely banned discussion for any game, just prohibited anyone for disagreeing with them on certain topics

Example: In Kingdom Come: Deliverance, anyone who said Vavra and the game were not racist, were automatically banned. Gameplay and plot were allowed.
There is literally a list of games written earlier on this page that are banned there

Ivellios

There is literally a list of games written earlier on this page that are banned there

Sorry i did not see that lol.

I thought people were talking about AAA like Kingdom Come

But i dont recognize any of these games, why are they banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom