• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Red Text is reserved for Staff on Era because it allows Mod Edits and Mod Posts to be able to stand out against both the LightEra and DarkEra background that way if someone is quickly scrolling down the page they can see any pertinent information or warnings that the staff has given. Red Text = important information. Its just easier that way and makes the Mods jobs easier. That way they can get the important information out there and get it easily noticed by the participators in the thread. That way its not lost in the noise.

Its not some form of nefarious left wing tyranny and you know that.
I just find the idea to be really dated. They're reserving an entire color to make edits or updates.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I just find the idea to be really dated. They're reserving an entire color to make edits or updates.

Yeah because it makes sense and it makes moderation easier for the staff.

Its not worthy of criticism.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Or you could upgrade to software that didn't come from 1991.

The obvious flaw is that anyone could impersonate a mod using this archaic method.
It's not really a software issue, as far as I know they use the same software as NeoGAF. They just wanted moderator posts to reliably stand out by a specific colour, what's so horrid about it? Considering the quick pace of the threads there and the high amount of moderator action, and finally the fact they do not use highlighted mod names (in contrast to GAF), it is a sensible choice I'd say.

Nobody_Important

The obvious flaw is that anyone could impersonate a mod using this archaic method.

Thats not even remotely true and you know that too. All it takes is a literal look at the person's post. Oh there isn't "Moderator" under their name? Oh okay. Then they aren't a mod.

Stop making dumb arguments that you know are easily countered. It makes trying to debate or discuss anything against you embarrassing.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Thats not even remotely true and you know that too. All it takes is a literal look at the person's post. Oh there isn't "Moderator" under their name? Oh okay. Then they aren't a mod.

Stop making dumb arguments that you know are easily countered. It makes trying to debate or discuss anything against you embarrassing.
Dude, you just said this part yourself:

Nobody_Important said:
Mod Posts to be able to stand out against both the LightEra and DarkEra background that way if someone is quickly scrolling down the page they can see any pertinent information or warnings that the staff has given.

So if someone is scrolling quickly they will also check to see if the user is a mod too? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of mod-locking color coded text?

I added red text for the ayyyy factor.

Yoshi

Moderator actions are also added to other people's posts so JordanN is actually right here. However, that would be one bold move, to impersonate a mod in your post. I envision a permanent ban waiting for anyone that attempts that.

Nobody_Important

Moderator actions are also added to other people's posts so JordanN is actually right here. However, that would be one bold move, to impersonate a mod in your post. I envision a permanent ban waiting for anyone that attempts that.

It would be instantly reported and instantly removed. Nobody is gonna be able to pose as a mod long enough to do anything of note. He knows that.

Nobody_Important

You got evidence of this?

You mean other than basic fucking common sense, the ability to read, and eyes?

It literally says "Moderator" under their picture. It would take anyone with eyes to see that someone isn't a moderator and report them. And then anything they had posted under the guise of being a "mod" would be instantly removed. Stop intentionally making stupid arguments please. You do this shit every single time someone calls out your bullshit. You try and turn it into an intentional mess with ridiculous claims and arguments and in order to try to deflect away from your original claims. I don't fall for it. You made a bullshit claim. Now own it.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
You mean other than basic fucking common sense, the ability to read, and eyes?

It literally says "Moderator" under their picture. It would take anyone with eyes to see that someone isn't a moderator and report them. And then anything they had posted under the guise of being a "mod" would be instantly removed. Stop intentionally making stupid arguments please.
That's not evidence. There's a difference between saying "it should be like this" and not "it is like this". Don't jump to conclusions, even if you believe something to be obvious.

And calm down.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

That's not evidence. There's a difference between saying "it should be like this" and not "it is like this". Don't jump to conclusions, even if you believe something to be obvious.

And calm down.

Okay then humor me with your ridiculous train of thought. Someone on Era makes a post in Red Text posing as a mod. What happens in your mind? How long does the ruse last and how much lasting damage can the impostor actually do before the moderation team does something about it?

I am genuinely all ears. I honestly could use the laugh this morning anyway.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Okay then humor me with your ridiculous train of thought. Someone on Era makes a post in Red Text posing as a mod. What happens in your mind? How long does the ruse last and how much lasting damage can the impostor actually do before the moderation team does something about it?

I am genuinely all ears. I honestly could use the laugh this morning anyway.
If you show me evidence, I could give you a proper answer.

Once again, jumping to conclusions =/= proof. That line of thinking gets you Michael Avenatti.

Yoshi

If you show me evidence, I could give you a proper answer.

Once again, jumping to conclusions =/= proof. That line of thinking gets you Michael Avenatti.
On what kind of evidence does this answer depend on?

Nobody_Important

Edit: Nevermind. Its not worth it. I need to learn my lesson when it comes to JordanN and his ridiculous claims. Thats on me.

Last edited:

Acerac

Banned
Red Text is reserved for Staff on Era because it allows Mod Edits and Mod Posts to be able to stand out against both the LightEra and DarkEra background that way if someone is quickly scrolling down the page they can see any pertinent information or warnings that the staff has given. Red Text = important information. Its just easier that way and makes the Mods jobs easier. That way they can get the important information out there and get it easily noticed by the participators in the thread. That way its not lost in the noise.

It's not nefarious. It is however hilarious that nobody is allowed to use red text because that's reserved for important people.
I don't know why but I find it entertaining when a page starts with Nobody_important, Yoshi and JordaN.
The sad part is that at least one of them feels like they are genuinely trying to have a conversation.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
You guys know Reset Era is just one super fat, white knight, furry pretending to build a community to support his "progressive" views.

He has no arguments, he has no critical thinking skills. He lives in his bubble and posts all day under thousands of names.

SaviourMK2

You guys know Reset Era is just one super fat, white knight, furry pretending to build a community to support his "progressive" views.

He has no arguments, he has no critical thinking skills. He lives in his bubble and posts all day under thousands of names.

Trump, is that you? xD

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy

That being said, like a lot of things ERA, the staff is inconsistent with this practice. Stuff that is subject to red text regularly isn't put in that colour.

But that kind of criticism shouldn't be exclusive to the usage of red text or not: It should be directed towards the policy in general.

Or you could upgrade to software that didn't come from 1991.

Out of all things you can complain/criticize on ERA, you took red text being exclusively used for staff as your card of surprise?

Next thing we are noting how their buttons look off.

I don't know why but I find it entertaining when a page starts with Nobody_important, Yoshi and JordaN.
Marcy was only really ever funny in Married With Children. As 3 seperate forum users, they are exactly 1/3 of her character each. So combined they form one Marcy. That isn't funny.

It's not nefarious. It is however hilarious that nobody is allowed to use red text because that's reserved for important people.

The sad part is that at least one of them feels like they are genuinely trying to have a conversation.
I have to applaud Nobody here (Yes, really) for even attempting a geniune answer. That kind of complaining is really just low key imo.

Papa

Banned
That being said, like a lot of things ERA, the staff is inconsistent with this practice. Stuff that is subject to red text regularly isn't put in that colour.

But that kind of criticism shouldn't be exclusive to the usage of red text or not: It should be directed towards the policy in general.

Out of all things you can complain/criticize on ERA, you took red text being exclusively used for staff as your card of surprise?

Next thing we are noting how their buttons look off.

Marcy was only really ever funny in Married With Children. As 3 seperate forum users, they are exactly 1/3 of her character each. So combined they form one Marcy. That isn't funny.

I have to applaud Nobody here (Yes, really) for even attempting a geniune answer. That kind of complaining is really just low key imo.

It’s not just about the colour of the text. It’s about how it’s used a big, aggressive warning sign saying “toe the line, or else“.

decisions

One relatively benign criticism I will make Is their god awful color scheme. Like seriously how can that be the color scheme to begin wither and secondly how did they decide that everyone would like it so much that you shouldn't be able to change it? Can you change it?

Nobody_Important

One relatively benign criticism I will make Is their god awful color scheme. Like seriously how can that be the color scheme to begin wither and secondly how did they decide that everyone would like it so much that you shouldn't be able to change it? Can you change it?
Yes you can change it. There is a light and dark version just like Gaf.

We all know how much Reee sucks on so many levels, but the red text is definitely not one of them.,It's just a way to immediately see mod text. Let's not make everything look bad just because is ERA.

Redneckerz

It’s not just about the colour of the text. It’s about how it’s used a big, aggressive warning sign saying “toe the line, or else“.
I mean, that's literally the point of red moderator warning text.

Not so much the ''toe the line or else'' talk but that is just policy related, which manifests in their intent of the red text usage.

We all know how much Reee sucks on so many levels, but the red text is definitely not one of them.,It's just a way to immediately see mod text. Let's not make everything look bad just because is ERA.
An attempt to be as pedantic as them will ultimately lead to failure from our ends since we share a notion of empathy and common sense. Most of The Names and Little Helpers do not share these traits, but are usually just stay-in complainers.

While that is true, the quote "members cannot create or enforce thread policy." is exactly that.

Also this:
fVcbPhm.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cy...en-joystick-awards.81435/page-3#post-15082258

Imagine posting in every Spiderman or God of War topic about Sony's shitty customer policies...

Last edited:

Yoshi

While that is true, the quote "members cannot create or enforce thread policy." is exactly that.

Also this:
fVcbPhm.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cy...en-joystick-awards.81435/page-3#post-15082258

Imagine posting in every Spiderman or God of War topic about Sony's shitty customer policies...
What I do not get is how that is an attack on staff. He does not seem to talk with any moderator, he does not even criticise a moderator, he is just talking about regular users and how they treat CDPR topics.

^ He literally says "the moderation here seems to be poor".

I'm not giving my personal opinion on that, but I can certainly see how it might be considered an attack.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What I do not get is how that is an attack on staff. He does not seem to talk with any moderator, he does not even criticise a moderator, he is just talking about regular users and how they treat CDPR topics.

He is directly responding to a Moderator, one who had a direct hand in the Doxxing of the CDPR employee.

Easier to just silence them for an inane reason than allow them to speak the truth.

Papa

Banned
I mean, that's literally the point of red moderator warning text.

Not so much the ''toe the line or else'' talk but that is just policy related, which manifests in their intent of the red text usage.

An attempt to be as pedantic as them will ultimately lead to failure from our ends since we share a notion of empathy and common sense. Most of The Names and Little Helpers do not share these traits, but are usually just stay-in complainers.

Yeah, I’m not saying that red bold text in and of itself is a problem, just pointing out that the way they use it is to enforce groupthink.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Me too. Remember when everyone suddenly hated Colin Moriarty for a similar joke on old gaf?

They hated him before that, the whiney twerps just needed an excuse to have him "banned from being linked or talked about" on the site. Like they do now over there.

Yoshi

He is directly responding to a Moderator, one who had a direct hand in the Doxxing of the CDPR employee.

Easier to just silence them for an inane reason than allow them to speak the truth.
That was allegedly Hecht. He is responding to Ject, a normal member.

The thing that annoys me most about RE is the blatant bullshit that the mods are either complicit with or in on. this thread shows it in a few posts. There are posters there who will straight up imply you're racist if you don't agree with them. They love to use the same lines that the mods use when they issue bans. Then they sling those exact words at each other, like arguing in "bad faith" or being "disingenuous". With zero irony.

It's weird as fuck.

I mean It's weird in general, but also weird that they don't understand the way they argue and push nearly everyone away only hurts them (the extreme left) in the end. It's also weird that they don't even understand that they're extreme. They think calling everyone around them a racist or misogynist or whatever -ist or -ic they've come up with...is a normal thing to do.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Wait a min, is this thread just here to talk shit about era?
Some members might. Others tend to establish criticism with evidence.

I just like to point out that not all of ERA is terrible.

Stick around. Visit other threads and then form your conclusion. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Here's an example where it's right to call out Resetera.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ur...tor-to-the-rise-of-right-wing-populism.81648/

This thread blames suburbs for creating Nazis, reeeeeeeeeee.

What they don't realize is that Toronto suburbs are actually, NON-WHITE.

zqMFVnv.jpg

But because they see "conservative" they automatically assume it has to be far-right.

Edit: And this map is from 2006. The GTA is even less White than it was 10 years ago.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here's an example where it's right to call out Resetera.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ur...tor-to-the-rise-of-right-wing-populism.81648/

This thread blames suburbs for creating Nazis, reeeeeeeeeee.

What they don't realize is that Toronto suburbs are actually, NON-WHITE.

zqMFVnv.jpg

But because they see "conservative" they automatically assume it has to be far-right.

Edit: And this map is from 2006. The GTA is even less White than it was 10 years ago.
The "white flight" was from the downtown core to the burbs like Etobicoke and west along the lake.

Believe it or not a long time ago, streets like Jarvis and Sherbourne and Victoria were super nice. Now they are junk. Downtown became overran with businesses and social assistance hotspots and bums, so these people bailed. So at that time, "the suburbs" were more like stretching along the lake first, then north. And a lot of those snazzy multimillion dollar homes along the lake are owned by people for generations. They probably built it and bought it 60 years ago for $30,000. Now worth probably $3 million.

The reason why the dark green spots are so apparent is because minorities coming to the GTA can afford homes which are much cheaper than Toronto. And the closer you get to downtown or the lake, the more it costs, which exception of uptown Forest Hill area, and some spots in Richmond Hill or King City now.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Out of all the topics on the board they always seem to make a “gotcha” post in this thread or a more heated thread on the politics forum as their first post. :unsure:
I just found one oldbie user who just likes such posts but has not made a post since the exodus. One of the users that got liked also made a gotcha post and has not participated since.

I assume they are testing the system to see what is allowed and what isn't. Ill continue to engage them in friendly manners, perhaps they are just observing and still undecided to come back.

I don't think its beneficial to respond to anyone looking for a gotcha post with a gotcha post back. If we gradually want to move away from the negative stigma GAF has, then picking apart these people looking for a spark only serves to maintain that negativity, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom