• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said I was. Tossing full blown insults with no argument is where I draw the line. I just don't see the point in wasting time after that. Because at that point its clear the discussion is going nowhere because one side has nothing left to offer.

You are sitting there with your fingers in your ears and not actually accepting the information that is presented to you
if you really want a warts and all summary of what is going on check out the kiwifarms thread ....start at around 379 which is when i started to look into things some more
this site does not paint a pretty picture on both sides but it paints a pretty clear picture or era and how it was formed...i can summarise it for you

Quick summary
1) Some of the old mods here and more senior posters think this place needs to be more left (as it already was sinking into the toilet)
2) Said mods start stealth banning people who dont support the narrative and the other users start creating hell in the forums (you can check out evilores the project justice post to read about this)
3) The mods and supporters want to get control of gaf to create their own little safe space and realise what they are doing is not enough
4) The group of people dig up old accusation around evilore ..make it public and then try and stage a mass protest (resigning from being a mod..ect)...FYI this accusation was never actually proved.
5) Gaf starts to implode ..the group of mods then try and use it as an opportunity to get Gaf from evilore
6) Evilore tells them to fuck off......the group of mods and people are already onto their plan B...resetera
7) New site Resetera is formed and is hailed as an open and free place to post
8) The old mods who made this place shitty and posters are then promoted to their mod team
9) People all flock to era like sheep not realising its been ran by the people that made this place a shithole
10) Fast forward 12 months and for some reason the place resembles gaf when it was at its worst...wonder why that is??

What we do know now
The senior mod team are almost all transgender......or diverse as sweetnicole calls it...if you have a view that they dont have you are a transphobe/bigot/dismissive

There are protected users ...they are nicknamed little helpers....these people lurk through the forums looking for victims to ban
and then co-ordinate through discord and report users,these users quite often go back through a users post history and flag other posts ...these are flagged as multiple infractions
these said users also co-ordinate to bait users into a narrative which supports the reasons to ban.

If you are in any way not aligned with the flock you are culled ...misogynistic/transphobic/Sexist/Bigot/Dismissive/rationalisation seem to be thrown around like candy at a kids concert
and the moderation style is clearly contradictory and double standards are clearly evident

If you want to sit there and ignore everything that people are telling you then by all means enjoy yourself but if you are here to simply try and defend or paint over the crazy shit that is going on then you are in the wrong place
this thread serves a purpose of entertainment for many and as a reminder of having clear and open moderation and users discussing things in an open and fun place.

Edit
Stupid samsung phone auto correction

Last edited:

God Enel

kinda funny how much effort Redneckerz puts in his posts and proves all of his shit and the only answer is like “yeah agree to disagree”..
Maybe there where no counter arguments?

And then acting insulted, i think you can do better. That is really sad I think.

plushyp

NeoGAF isn't perfect but I'd like to think we are trying everyday to make it better for everyone. But this isn't a haven for Alt-Rights as some of those comments pretend we are. Are you over there defending us like you are here defending them?

My only concern with Resetera... or hope is that they don't start banning people over there for also being here. If the belief over there is we are all Alt Right NeoNaziGAF:rolleyes: and they don't want Nazi's on their boards... you see what I'm getting at. Hopefully at least one person over their in leadership would put a stop to that action. Hopefully you will be as vocal there in defense of that as you are vocal here in defense of them.
I lurk here from time to time but this is my first post in the thread. Did a search for NeoNaziGAF on Google following your post. One of the search results was this:
cwj7opZ.jpg

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rp...p-on-their-forums.77805/page-14#post-14388150

I then remembered T themagicalkitsune responding to a post by Redneckerz Redneckerz a while back here:
pxT0saS.jpg

Link: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-...rsonal-keep-it-in-here.1462647/post-253506893

Now the first post isn't from a thread "dedicated to shitting on a forum" but the post content is highly hypocritical given what was earlier posted by themagicalkitsune right in this very thread.

Papa

Banned
One of these days, those of you still defending Nobody_Important Nobody_Important simply for being contrarian are going to realise that I was right all along. There’s no virtue in being different simply for the sake of it. Look at the actions, not the words.

Papa

Banned
I lurk here from time to time but this is my first post in the thread. Did a search for NeoNaziGAF on Google following your post. One of the search results was this:
cwj7opZ.jpg

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rp...p-on-their-forums.77805/page-14#post-14388150

I then remembered T themagicalkitsune responding to a post by Redneckerz Redneckerz a while back here:
pxT0saS.jpg

Link: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/off-...rsonal-keep-it-in-here.1462647/post-253506893

Now the first post isn't from a thread "dedicated to shitting on a forum" but the post content is highly hypocritical given what was earlier posted by themagicalkitsune right in this very thread.

lol I remember that dude from earlier in the year. Massive fuckwit with a huge chip on his shoulder. The shit-don’t-stink type.

Also, how is it “behind their backs” when it’s publicly visible? Are we supposed to go over to Ree and try to host this thread there?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You are sitting there with your fingers in your ears and not actually accepting the information that is presented to you
if you really want a warts and all summary of what is going on check out the kwiwfarms thread ....start at around 379 which is when i started to look into things some more
this site does not paint a pretty picture on both sides but it paints a pretty clear picture or era and how it was formed...i can summarise it for you

Quick summary
1) Some of the old mods here and more senior posters think this place needs to be more left (as it already was sinking into the toilet)
2) Said mods start stealth banning people who dont support the narrative and the other users start creating hell in the forums (you can check out evilores the project justice post to read about this)
3) The mods and supporters want to get control of gaf to create their own little safe space and realise what they are doing is not enough
4) The group of people dig up old accusation around evilore ..make it public and then try and stage a mass protest (resigning from being a mod..ect)...FYI this accusation was never actually proved.
5) Gaf starts to implode ..the group of mods then try and use it as an opportunity to get Gaf from evilore
6) Evilore tells then to fuck off......the group of mods and people are already onto their plan B...resetera
7) New site Resetera is formed and is hailed as an open and free place to post
8) The old mods who made this place shitty and posters are then promoted to their mod team
9) People all flock to era like sheep not realising its been ran by the people that made this place a shithole
10) Fast forward 12 months and for some reason the place resembles gaf when it was at its worst...wonder why that is??

What we do know now
The senior mod team are almost all transgender......or diverse as sweetnicole calls it...if you have a view that they dont have you are a transphobe/bigot/dismissive

There are protected users ...they are nicknamed little helpers....these people lurk through the forums looking for victims to ban
and then co-ordinate through discord and report users,these users quite often go back through a users post history and flag other posts ...these are flagged as multiple infractions
these said users also co-ordinate to bait users into a narrative which supports the reasons to ban.

If you are in any way not aligned with the flock you are culled ...misogynistic/transphobic/Sexist/Bigot/Dismissive/rationalisation seem to be thrown around like candy at a kids concert
and the moderation style is clearly contradictory and double standards are clearly evident

If you want to sit there and ignore everything that people are telling you then by all means enjoy yourself but if you are here to simply try and defend or paint over the crazy shit that is going on then you are in the wrong place
this thread serves a purpose of entertainment for many and as a reminder of having clear and open moderation and users discussing things in an open and fun place.

giphy.gif

I will add as well, the coordinated DDoS attack that took GAF down for 2 days, then select suspects spreading the narrative that GAF was no more, even though it was communicated to the press by Evilore I believe that was not the case.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
lol I remember that dude from earlier in the year. Massive fuckwit with a huge chip on his shoulder. The shit-don’t-stink type.

Also, how is it “behind their backs” when it’s publicly visible? Are we supposed to go over to Ree and try to host this thread there?

Not to mention that you can sign up to NeoGaf with free emails. Much more of an easily accessible, open system.

giphy.gif

I will add as well, the coordinated DDoS attack that took GAF down for 2 days, then select suspects spreading the narrative that GAF was no more, even though it was communicated to the press by Evilore I believe that was not the case.
Forgot about that....what happened was really shitty

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
kinda funny how much effort Redneckerz puts in his posts and proves all of his shit and the only answer is like “yeah agree to disagree”..
Maybe there where no counter arguments?

And then acting insulted, i think you can do better. That is really sad I think.
I didn't exactly prove all his shit lol but i feel that even if you ignore most of what we say, there is still something off about the whole ordeal.

If you want to ignore that aswell, by all means, go for it, but then ill claim you have rosetinted glasses and your perception is clouded.

But what do i know. I am just part of the orchestration around the community and being biased AF. :messenger_angry_horns:

cwj7opZ.jpg

pxT0saS.jpg

Oh i remember Kitsune. The user who said he neither frequented both places, kept his own, but still had very stark opinions on atleast GAF. I gotta respect his hustle as an independent, so there is that, but Kitsune was not willing to meet somewhere in the middle. In a way i heckled that aswell: A user who is only here on the sidelines to proclaim ''Look at you lot having that thread. You aren't any better than the place you frequently deride.''

If that's the only message you have and bring, then what should the answer be? Okay or And what do you do? Being this semi i-am-interested-but-actually-im-not-but-i-care-enough-to-comment stance is just yeah.

One of these days, those of you still defending Nobody_Important Nobody_Important simply for being contrarian are going to realise that I was right all along. There’s no virtue in being different simply for the sake of it. Look at the actions, not the words.
Im not so much against opposing view, but i am against ignoring telltale signs of a broken system. And if you are going to proclaim that the majority consensus is wrong, biased and its all just a grand scheme, then you better show why we are wrong, or provide evidence to the contrary, or understand that your perception might be a bit clouded.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Never said I was. Tossing full blown insults with no argument is where I draw the line. I just don't see the point in wasting time after that. Because at that point its clear the discussion is going nowhere because one side has nothing left to offer.
I think you are being a bit unfair here. Yes, there were unjustified insults leveled against you, but you mainly discussed with Redneckerz Redneckerz , and he was very civil. I agree that the hostility towards you is pretty shitty but it's very unfortunate if it stands in the way of civil discussion. Please, bear with me while I still criticise another response, the post will not be all contrarian though.

Here is this expansive list of people I don't like that I personally keep track of from a site I don't like complete with various links and proof.
It is a bit dishonest to ask for a list and upon receiving it, to mock it. For all we know, Redneckerz might have collected the links / additional info to give you a more elaborate response. Due to the way you describe your posting behaviour on Resetera, it is very unlikely that Redneckerz would see you as a little helper, since you are not very active in the social justice topics in OT, which would be pretty mandatory for that moniker. His list he provided is probably not sufficient to know whether he counts you though, because he said it was only partial.

Now mind you, in principle I agree that it is strange to use those nicknames and to write so lengthy analyses about Resetera, but Redneckerz at least puts effort into making it more of a coherent point of contention rather than the mindless shit post spamming done by JordanN in this very topic. Maybe I can give you a different perspective on what Redneckerz criticise though. Please excuse me for not having many examples. I did not collect anything during my stay at Resetera and since I have been banned, I have not been frequenting the website, because it is annoying to read threads and to be unable to ask questions or to answer other people's questions.

1. Baiting: The difficult thing here is that Resetera is very US-liberal centric in a way that is difficult for people from other backgrounds to adapt properly to. Social issues are looked at through a distinctively American perspective and moderation is unable or unwilling to consider different cultural backgrounds*. As a result, people who are uneducated about things that are specific to American culture or language choice, as well as people who have not dealt with the primary issue of transgenderism a lot are in a tough situation even if their political leanings are matching. Now the issue with baiting is, that people (allegedly) try to make people who they suspect to hold positions they do not like / deem inappropriate to say something ban worthy (and then to allegedly report them). While this is shit behaviour even if the base suspicion turns out to be right (more on that later), the bigger issue is that even expression of harmless positions with sloppy wording can be fatal and so the baiting is particularly a mine field for people of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds who unwittingly respond in a clumsy way and catch a ban over this. Besides this being a questionable character trait (to try to oust people in such ways), this behaviour also creates a tense atmosphere which is not a good thing for a discussion forum.

Now, why is it an issue to bait people who have no issues with language / cultural backgrounds, but actually have positions as suspected by the baiter? Indeed, misbehaviour still needs to occur here, on the side of the banned person. But let's think a moment what a moderation (or law enforcer) is good for: To make sure you have a civil forum culture, so to prevent hostile posting behaviours by punishing them (to prevent crime by punishing prime). Now if you bait people into questionable posting behaviour, then the issue is that you produce rule breaking behaviour where it wouldn't be otherwise. Moderation should usually not be thought police, but a review of posting behaviour (similarly, law enforcers are not there to capture people who might have bad thoughts, but who perform negative actions). It would be in the best interest of a welcoming forum to not allow baiting posting behaviour, similar to laws actually outruling trying to provoke crimes. Indeed, in most western societies it is strictly forbidden to provoke criminal behaviour.

2. Protection: Some of the users Redneckerz quoted have been very ggressive in their posting behaviour and outright trollish, for this I do have a link because some obvious trolling (that was not punished in any way) was observable on the instance of my perm:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/eras-woman-problem-read-op.57534/page-37#post-10762238
Please, keep in mind that this posting is not an isolated incident, E excelsiorlef posted this way several times in the thread. Resetera moderation usually is very strict when it comes to trolling, but this user, at least in some contexts, seems to get off easily.

* One of several examples for this is the usage of racism / sexism. Both these terms have long standing definitions that are not only common still in most of Europe, they are a basis for anti-discrimination laws and are specifically used in jurisdiction in the classical way. So, racism against white people or sexism against non-trans men is not some outrageous concept with such social backgrounds. It is clearly covered by the definition and jurisidical reality. Using this definition of racism / sexism, that, I repeat, is absolutely standard in most European countries, is a, let's say problematic thing to do in Resetera. Even terms that would net you several raised eyebrows here in Germany (e.g. race, note that it is a misuse of the term to apply it to humans, from a biological perspective) are basically protected in that context and to not follow the US usage is dangerous behaviour.

SoulUnison

Banned
Haha, banned again. Created a new ERA account "PunishedSoul."
Posted nothing but absolutely polite and friendly comments and didn't even wander off gaming-side.

Permanent ban: Alt-Account.
And yet, again, there's plenty of prominent "Alt Accounts" on ERA, some that've gone through multiple iterations.
The biggest examples being Dennis8K, who uses the same username (+8K) and avatar, and Ban Puncher, whose username is a direct reference to the face he's circumventing the moderation system with an alt account.

The rules seems to be that the rules don't apply to you once you're a recognizable enough member of the "community."

All I want to do is be able to have conversations with people I've discussed gaming with for more than a decade now, but my political beliefs are slightly off from theirs, so I'm excommuicated forever. Every once in a while I'll get a PM over here or a message on DIscord or Steam or something: "How come you never post anymore and you never say hey?" And it's like "Because the moderators decided I'm a transphobic racist nazi" even though I'm a bi-racial gay dude who ran his high school's GSA for 2 years and literally just waved a flag celebrating "all identities" at an Oregon Gay Pride Parade a few weeks ago."

ResetERA damages the causes they pretend to champion more than they actually further them.

After all I just described, ERA doesn't take the time to get to know me or who I am, they just apply a blanket label to me and ban me.
Now I'm kind of like "So I can be all these minorities at once and have literally managed groups intended to raise visibility and awareness and go out of my way to physically be present at events to be your ally, and you'll still call me "transphobic," and "motherfucking evil," and permanently exile me from one of my social circles. Like... So why would I continue to be your ally? Why would anyone?

I already align with 95% of your beliefs and that's not enough. What's going to happen when these people are confronted with someone actually "against" them.

Last edited:

Helios

Without ResetERA nothing would get done, nobody would ever give a damn about issues minorities and women face in the industry or life
What has resetera ever done for the industry other than harass people and get them fire? This is like /v/ telling people they're helping the industry, except /v/ is self-aware and would never say that. Most people on ERA are the definition of slacktivism.

cormack12

Gold Member
What has resetera ever done for the industry other than harass people and get them fire? This is like /v/ telling people they're helping the industry, except /v/ is self-aware and would never say that. Most people on ERA are the definition of slacktivism.

That's hilarious. It's like when the news reports 'no group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet'. In fact the more I think about it, this is a perfect meta for that place.

Yoshi

and Ban Puncher, whose username is a direct reference to the face he's circumventing the moderation system with an alt account.
Ban Puncher Ban Puncher has already commented on the inaccuracy of this. Dennis8k has been at Resetera since the beginning, so probably also not an alt.

SoulUnison

Banned
Ban Puncher Ban Puncher has already commented on the inaccuracy of this. Dennis8k has been at Resetera since the beginning, so probably also not an alt.

Well, it's really hard to mentally keep track of these things when only one of the two sites involved actually has a publicly-facing moderation log, and even then it's fairly recent.
I know for a fact I've seen both of those users banned on at least one occasion before, but, sort-of-ironically-enough, it kind of bleeds together in my memory which site it might've been on.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I think you are being a bit unfair here. Yes, there were unjustified insults leveled against you, but you mainly discussed with Redneckerz Redneckerz , and he was very civil. I agree that the hostility towards you is pretty shitty but it's very unfortunate if it stands in the way of civil discussion. Please, bear with me while I still criticise another response, the post will not be all contrarian though.

It is a bit dishonest to ask for a list and upon receiving it, to mock it. For all we know, Redneckerz might have collected the links / additional info to give you a more elaborate response. Due to the way you describe your posting behaviour on Resetera, it is very unlikely that Redneckerz would see you as a little helper, since you are not very active in the social justice topics in OT, which would be pretty mandatory for that moniker. His list he provided is probably not sufficient to know whether he counts you though, because he said it was only partial.

Now mind you, in principle I agree that it is strange to use those nicknames and to write so lengthy analyses about Resetera, but Redneckerz at least puts effort into making it more of a coherent point of contention rather than the mindless shit post spamming done by JordanN in this very topic. Maybe I can give you a different perspective on what Redneckerz criticise though. Please excuse me for not having many examples. I did not collect anything during my stay at Resetera and since I have been banned, I have not been frequenting the website, because it is annoying to read threads and to be unable to ask questions or to answer other people's questions.

1. Baiting: The difficult thing here is that Resetera is very US-liberal centric in a way that is difficult for people from other backgrounds to adapt properly to. Social issues are looked at through a distinctively American perspective and moderation is unable or unwilling to consider different cultural backgrounds*. As a result, people who are uneducated about things that are specific to American culture or language choice, as well as people who have not dealt with the primary issue of transgenderism a lot are in a tough situation even if their political leanings are matching. Now the issue with baiting is, that people (allegedly) try to make people who they suspect to hold positions they do not like / deem inappropriate to say something ban worthy (and then to allegedly report them). While this is shit behaviour even if the base suspicion turns out to be right (more on that later), the bigger issue is that even expression of harmless positions with sloppy wording can be fatal and so the baiting is particularly a mine field for people of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds who unwittingly respond in a clumsy way and catch a ban over this. Besides this being a questionable character trait (to try to oust people in such ways), this behaviour also creates a tense atmosphere which is not a good thing for a discussion forum.

Now, why is it an issue to bait people who have no issues with language / cultural backgrounds, but actually have positions as suspected by the baiter? Indeed, misbehaviour still needs to occur here, on the side of the banned person. But let's think a moment what a moderation (or law enforcer) is good for: To make sure you have a civil forum culture, so to prevent hostile posting behaviours by punishing them (to prevent crime by punishing prime). Now if you bait people into questionable posting behaviour, then the issue is that you produce rule breaking behaviour where it wouldn't be otherwise. Moderation should usually not be thought police, but a review of posting behaviour (similarly, law enforcers are not there to capture people who might have bad thoughts, but who perform negative actions). It would be in the best interest of a welcoming forum to not allow baiting posting behaviour, similar to laws actually outruling trying to provoke crimes. Indeed, in most western societies it is strictly forbidden to provoke criminal behaviour.

2. Protection: Some of the users Redneckerz quoted have been very ggressive in their posting behaviour and outright trollish, for this I do have a link because some obvious trolling (that was not punished in any way) was observable on the instance of my perm:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/eras-woman-problem-read-op.57534/page-37#post-10762238
Please, keep in mind that this posting is not an isolated incident, E excelsiorlef posted this way several times in the thread. Resetera moderation usually is very strict when it comes to trolling, but this user, at least in some contexts, seems to get off easily.

* One of several examples for this is the usage of racism / sexism. Both these terms have long standing definitions that are not only common still in most of Europe, they are a basis for anti-discrimination laws and are specifically used in jurisdiction in the classical way. So, racism against white people or sexism against non-trans men is not some outrageous concept with such social backgrounds. It is clearly covered by the definition and jurisidical reality. Using this definition of racism / sexism, that, I repeat, is absolutely standard in most European countries, is a, let's say problematic thing to do in Resetera. Even terms that would net you several raised eyebrows here in Germany (e.g. race, note that it is a misuse of the term to apply it to humans, from a biological perspective) are basically protected in that context and to not follow the US usage is dangerous behaviour.
You know, i find it rather disappointing that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important has yet to address either yours or mines, assuming you would want to disregard the more blunt commentary by others. But since his last comment here, this little nugget sprung up, and i want to make a partial cite of it, because i believe they are some rather ironic words of wisdom.

''...All of this because you just don't want to admit you were wrong.
I can't even begin to imagine how someone arrives at that conclusion.''
Nobody, consider this an appeal to respond to either my post from the last page or Yoshi's. :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

An ex-admin here already spilled the beans they allow multiple alts and even create them for their "prolific users". It is a "rules for thee" mentality that always goes hand in hand with radicals.

SoulUnison

Banned
An ex-admin here already spilled the beans they allow multiple alts and even create them for their "prolific users". It is a "rules for thee" mentality that always goes hand in hand with radicals.

Would you be able to link me to the posts/comments/whatever you're referring to?
I'm not disbelieving you - in fact, I really want that to be true in a demonstrable way - I'm just in touch with a couple people over there, to be intentionally vague, and I'd love to be able to share that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would you be able to link me to the posts/comments/whatever you're referring to?
I'm not disbelieving you - in fact, I really want that to be true in a demonstrable way - I'm just in touch with a couple people over there, to be intentionally vague, and I'd love to be able to share that.

I will try and find the posts tomorrow, but if you want in the meantime, they are in this thread I believe. (Their posts on it.)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
captainraincoat captainraincoat

What mods created reset? The whole staff seems to be made up of people who were never mods, and I'm pretty sure the admins or site owners were never mods either.

Saruhashi

Banned
It doesn't matter if its banned. One site allows it. The other doesn't.

I see that as one site taking the high road and the other choosing not to. If you don;t see it that way then thats fine too, but thats how I see the situation.

I understand the point that you are trying to make but it seems like you have to outright ignore the reality of the situation for your point to be valid.

First of all NeoGaf is very often talked about over there. Usually when they want to talk about those "bad" gamers.

Secondly, you are here with a defense of ResetEra and everyone is willing to debate you on that. The debate may be clumsy at times but at least you are getting to have a discussion and express yourself. That's why everyone is here right? Could you get away with openly defending NeoGaf on ResetEra? I wouldn't say so.

Thirdly, ResetEra is a pretty prominent gaming forum. Not only prominent but somewhat controversial and apparently influential too. So it follows that other gaming forums would have chat about that other prominent forum. This seems perfectly normal to me.

Your entire point here seems to center on the idea that people on NeoGaf are in the wrong because they aren't just ignoring the BS that comes out of ResetEra. I mean, that seems to be the main thrust of your argument. Not that ResetEra is bad but that other sites should just ignore them and let them be shitty.

It's not a valid point.

So users on ResetEra can go on about how NeoGaf is far right or what ever but they don't have an actual thread about it so it's OK.
If they had a thread about NeoGaf though? Well that's where you draw the line?

Saruhashi

Banned
Boogie threads are always fun - https://www.resetera.com/threads/bo...th-sides-in-regards-to-white-supremacy.85492/

There’s even people there saying Cory Barlog should fuck off because he doesn’t hate Boogie.

When I see something like this I'm not really even sure how to take it.

Boogie just seems like a bit of a dope when it comes to politics. Maybe he's not good at explaining himself or maybe he just doesn't know enough to even begin explaining himself in a way that's easy to "get". Hell, maybe most of us are like that anyway? For sure I wouldn't know much about the exact nature of the Left vs Right dichotomy and would probably settle on the basic idea that there will be good and bad people on both sides of the divide,

For some people this is so far beyond unacceptable that you may as well be a "Nazi" since you are basically doing nothing and not picking a side.

The Game Awards was all about "inclusiveness" this year, really. It was all "we love games and that's something we all have in common so lets come together and celebrate what we love". Wow. That's a nice and wholesome message.

Paraphrasing, Obviously.
Boogie: Maybe there are some good folks and some bad folks on both sides in USA politics. I'd like to just talk it through, maybe I'll learn something.
Game Awards: We are having these awards so lets all celebrate out love for games together. Boogie, you are invited mate, we like you.
ResetEra: OMFG! How DARE you invite this white supremacist nazi to your awards show you fucking scumbags! Reeeeeee. PS Fuck, Cory Barlog.

And the posters on Reset honestly seem to think that THEY are the good guys here. It's laughable.

It's crazy when you think about it. Here is a site who's members whine and complain about toxic gamers and want to deplatform or ban people to "clean up" the community. Great. Unfortunately, they themselves are among the most toxic and abusive gamers in that community.

Put them in charge of the Game Awards and what happens? Every attendee needs to undergo a background check? Every nominee and presenter needs to undergo a vigorous audit of their social media history? Everyone involved needs to write a 5 page essay detailing exactly how they feel about the political issues of the day.

Then, placing the shit-cherry on top of this shit-cake, the one thing they are delighted about from the whole event is that idiot furry who comes up on stage and basically says "hurr durr Repuplicans hate me heh heh heh". FFS.

I agree with you on literally everything about ERA, from the mods, NPCs talk, hate, doxxing, anti-white, etc... even the "GAF is much better now and it's not an alt right forum", but this thread is a fuckin' cesspool. It's cool that here people can actually talk, and not get immediately banned for everything, but I never expected so many replies about the wife. Which made me realize that, yeah, mods are cool here, the site is much better than ERA 2.0, but the community is still waaaaaay off. That thread gave me incel vibes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I agree with you on literally everything about ERA, from the mods, NPCs talk, hate, doxxing, anti-white, etc... even the "GAF is much better now and it's not an alt right forum", but this thread is a fuckin' cesspool. It's cool that here people can actually talk, and not get immediately banned for everything, but I never expected so many replies about the wife. Which made me realize that, yeah, mods are cool here, the site is much better than ERA 2.0, but the community is still waaaaaay off. That thread gave me incel vibes.

Here's the thing though: What's preferable, a free society with people who you disagree with, or an autocracy where deviating from the party line results in expulsion. That's not a difficult choice for me.

odhin

Don't want to bring that discussion to this thread obviously, but from what I can understand from those "replies" that you so much hate and condemn are not necessarily just shaming the wife. But so what, she can't be called out? The minute she was assaulted everything she done prior is forgotten?

I mean, lets be rational for a second. I think most of those replies reflect that, and even if they don't and outright say "HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, 100% HER FAULT" (wich they don't) you can and should argue against that.

Last edited:
Here's the thing though: What's preferable, a free society with people who you disagree with, or an autocracy where deviating from the party line results in expulsion. That's not a difficult choice for me.
And you're right about that, but I really thought New GAF was just a smaller ERA without the craziness, but what made the old GAF really great, was the community, and there is still much much work to do on that. I was just surprised, that's all.

Don't want to bring that discussion to this thread obviously, but from what I can understand from those "replies" that you so much hate and condemn are not necessarily just shaming the wife. But so what, she can't be called out? The minute she was assaulted everything she done prior is forgotten?

I mean, lets be rational for a second. I think most of those replies reflect that, and even if they don't and outright say "HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG, 100% HER FAULT" (wich they don't) you can and should argue against that.
The first thing you want say after watching that video should not be about her, just because she was "annoying" and threw a cardboard. (Also Fortnite is not his job)

Last edited:

odhin

The first thing you want say after watching that video should not be about her, just because she was "annoying" and threw a cardboard. (Also Fortnite is not his job)

Well, tbf, the first thing I said on my post there (the only one at the moment) was indeed about her.

Something on the lines of "Shes not free from guilt" about that situation, wich in my opinion she's clearly not. But thats not to say that she's the only one at fault, or the one that acted the worse, or that what he did was in any way justifiable. Nope, and I think that's something I would never need to say because it should be clear. One should be accountable by his deeds, and face the consequences as such.

We are still working on everything.

I think the “I can say way more” novelty hasnt worn off yet. And for years there was right and wrong think. And the novelty of pointing out hypocrisy hasn’t faded yet either

I think this is a problem that the community needs to solve. Stop being trolly and edgy just to be noticed. Stop using the political insults (both sides). Have a minimum amount of respect towards your fellow Gaffer.

Tons to do. Won’t happen over night.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I tend to agree. I understand all these views are accepted, but i find it a hard to swallow pill that many are casting blame on only one side, the woman, who performed the action and sweet-talk the reaction of the guy.

They are both at fault. Except the guy is charged purely because of what the girl threw at him.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

The teacher said they don’t allow hats to be worn. We had this same rule when I was in school. It sounds like the student I trying to make it political when it is just a general rule to not wear any hats in class.

Yoshi

What does that matter, he can't wear a hat without being denied education?
It was a comment towards the image in JordanN JordanN 's posting.

Other than that: Wearing hats with political slogans is a potentially problematic thing, depending on the policies of the school. If clothing indicating political alignments is forbidden in general or if wearing hats at school is not allowed in general, then MAGA hats should be included. They should not be singled out though.

RedVIper

Banned
The teacher said they don’t allow hats to be worn. We had this same rule when I was in school. It sounds like the student I trying to make it political when it is just a general rule to not wear any hats in class.

That isn't a worlwide rule. If that was the case the teacher made a shitty case explaining it since it seemed he was focused on the political message of the hat.

It was a comment towards the image in JordanN JordanN 's posting.

Other than that: Wearing hats with political slogans is a potentially problematic thing, depending on the policies of the school. If clothing indicating political alignments is forbidden in general or if wearing hats at school is not allowed in general, then MAGA hats should be included. They should not be singled out though.

Alright.

I've never seen a school witch outlawed political alignments in clothing. It seemed that some of classmates were upset because of a stupid hat and the teacher made a stand against him because of that. The kid is obviously being a prick but he has a point.

Last edited:

Dunki

Here is how I would react.
Either no hat policy or not political/religious messages means no MAGA hat, no BLM Shirt or no religious symbols. If he has such rules the children should respect this. If he or the school does not he can not separate him from others for it. Honestly I would have a real serious talk with this teacher for leaving the student alone in the classroom.

Last edited:

Corrik

Haha, banned again. Created a new ERA account "PunishedSoul."
Posted nothing but absolutely polite and friendly comments and didn't even wander off gaming-side.

Permanent ban: Alt-Account.
And yet, again, there's plenty of prominent "Alt Accounts" on ERA, some that've gone through multiple iterations.
The biggest examples being Dennis8K, who uses the same username (+8K) and avatar, and Ban Puncher, whose username is a direct reference to the face he's circumventing the moderation system with an alt account.

The rules seems to be that the rules don't apply to you once you're a recognizable enough member of the "community."

All I want to do is be able to have conversations with people I've discussed gaming with for more than a decade now, but my political beliefs are slightly off from theirs, so I'm excommuicated forever. Every once in a while I'll get a PM over here or a message on DIscord or Steam or something: "How come you never post anymore and you never say hey?" And it's like "Because the moderators decided I'm a transphobic racist nazi" even though I'm a bi-racial gay dude who ran his high school's GSA for 2 years and literally just waved a flag celebrating "all identities" at an Oregon Gay Pride Parade a few weeks ago."

ResetERA damages the causes they pretend to champion more than they actually further them.

After all I just described, ERA doesn't take the time to get to know me or who I am, they just apply a blanket label to me and ban me.
Now I'm kind of like "So I can be all these minorities at once and have literally managed groups intended to raise visibility and awareness and go out of my way to physically be present at events to be your ally, and you'll still call me "transphobic," and "motherfucking evil," and permanently exile me from one of my social circles. Like... So why would I continue to be your ally? Why would anyone?

I already align with 95% of your beliefs and that's not enough. What's going to happen when these people are confronted with someone actually "against" them.
So they banned you appropriately and you are still using the same examples to whine about it when at least one person has already stated you were wrong about one of them?

SoulUnison

Banned
So they banned you appropriately and you are still using the same examples to whine about it when at least one person has already stated you were wrong about one of them?

You're specifically leaving out some of the exchange since then, but, OK. I already commented in response to what you're pointing out and if I was mistaken then, so be it.

I mean, what else does one do? I think I've pretty well established that the "original" bans weren't "appropriate," and now I've even had this nifty third-party database pointed out to me where I can link to my actual posts to make it more directly laughable that, say, this was an "inflammatory false equivalence," or how being able to see that moderation now with a timestamp shows that my "history of severe infractions" was being warned literally once before for "transphobia" because I didn't immediately side with (or against, really) two transwomen accusing Jeffery Tambor of workplace harassment and I said, essentially, "There's multiple credible witnesses on both sides so why don't we wait for some sort of official investigation?"

That's "transphobia" to them, and a "history of severe infractions?" "History" means "1" and "severe" means "not instantly taking sides with the staff's current political crusades."

All I can really do is hope to be visible and objective so that people can see the pattern and make the appropriate judgments for themselves.

Last edited:

Corrik

You're specifically leaving out some of the exchange since then, but, OK. I already commented in response to what you're pointing out and if I was mistaken then, so be it.

I mean, what else does one do? I think I've pretty well established that the "original" bans weren't "appropriate," and now I've even had this nifty third-party database pointed out to me where I can link to my actual posts to make it more directly laughable that, say, this was an "inflammatory false equivalence," or how being able to see that moderation now with a timestamp shows that my "history of severe infractions" was being warned literally once before for "transphobia" because I didn't immediately side with (or against, really) two transwomen accusing Jeffery Tambor of workplace harassment and I said, essentially, "There's multiple credible witnesses on both sides so why don't we wait for some sort of official investigation?"

That's "transphobia" to them, and a "history of severe infractions?" "History" means "1" and "severe" means "not instantly taking sides with the staff's current political crusades."

All I can really do is hope to be visible and objective so that people can see the pattern and make the appropriate judgments for themselves.
I mean, I am sure the original ban was probably bullshit, but the fact is, they don't want you on their website. You are being super bitter about it and keep trying to rejoin their website in which is appropriately bannable. They don't want you posting there. Accept it and move on. Nothing that can be done about it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom