• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Shit started loooong before GamerGate was even a twinkle in anyone's eye. You are also putting way too much blame on the "alt-right" in gaming. This shit started in gaming because of the growing far-left's control within the gaming media which had begun before the 2016 election or GamerGate in general (hell, I remember seeing this shit back in '10-'12).

Yeah it definitely started before Gamergate, as I said in my post things were much better 10+ years ago which is well before that. So Gamergate was just more fuel on the fire and the 2016 election and terrible political climate world wide starting around that time was then jet fuel on that then raging fire.

Both sides have blame for sure, and it's fruitless to argue over bears more blame as that will just be shaped by one's own views. I'm far left and have no issues with game journalism etc. so I'm going to see it different that a more center left person like you who hates them and very differently than people on the right. So it's best to just say both sides shoulder a lot of the blame and not bicker over who shoulders more. Both side is full of loser man children who do little but go around the internet being negative and hostile and insulting and attacking people who even slightly disagree with them. It's ruined internet discourse, and not just on gaming forums. And it's festered into the real world with me having to block friends on both sides on social media as they post nothing but shitty political rants. And I just have to ignore a couple who never want to talk about anything but politics, text political stories all the time etc. Shit is fucking exhausting.

In any case, it's not going to change anytime soon and probably will never change. My main New Year's resolution is to just not engage with anything political online period, to not engage with negative, hostile people period (zero tolerance policy and on to the ignore list) and limit my posting to threads about games I'm currently playing and my thread reading to game news, previews and review threads. Fuck the rest of the noise. Life is too short to have all the cynicism, negativity and hostility sucking the fun out of my favorite hobby and putting me bad moods.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Unequal (or different) is a symmetric relation, so it makes sense to say "we are talking different things", because "you are talking different things" and "I am talking different things" are interchangable.
You aren't taking the hint huh? Sometimes you need to know when to stop explaining everything.

This is that moment. Just stop, Yosh.

Putting common sense over logic is not a good idea.
In this case it very much is considering its a whole meta-topic at this point on something that really isn't worth this discussion over. Hence why i asked the question prior if it is really worth your and my time.

I am saying that the story that was described is a case of sexual harrassment. I am doing so, because that notion was ridiculed.
So... you get ridiculed for saying its sexual harrassment, and your counter point to that is... to just keep on claiming the same thing and then expecting a different outcome?

Outside of you, I haven't seen anyone discussing whether the story accurately describes the events at the company, but merely downright rejections of the claim that what has been described qualifies as sexual harrassment.
According to who? You?

If you disagree, I would like to see the definition you are working with.
Again, is it it really worth the discussion? Or furthermore: Would you really want to fess up my afternoon having to post a lengthy post regarding a point that would be either better worth for its own thread or just let it go?

I am uninterested in discussing whether the story describes a real event at the company of the Resetera poster, because there are no interesting arguments to be had here.
nick_young_confused2.png
Literally nobody is presenting this as an argument.

You know, he did not answer to my posting on that either. I usually am pretty responsive and when I am not that's because of timing issues (so sorry in particular Papa Papa for a lack of response to his statement about politics; what I would have said is that your positions sound pretty strongly aligned to the European liberals (e.g. FDP), which is part of the right wing in Germany).
I am not right wing. I am not even in Political threads exactly because of this shitty act of users trying to figure out which side you fall upon. Don't try again.

I think it is unfair to make decisions on answers to me based on the posting behaviour of Nobody_Important Nobody_Important .
Are you really that daft? I just asked you if you really would want me to put forward all this time and effort in a topic that frankly, i don't deem important enough to actually dedicate a 1.5 hour post to. The fact that i am even insinuating an offer to do this should provide a glimpse to my mood regarding this.

And to be fair to him, I am pretty sure he announced beforehand he is done with the topic.
Yeah no. I dedicated a 1.5 hour post to that and if the answer to that is just a ''Im done'' then bruh. Also, he announced that before i made that post.

EDIT: If you want to discuss whether the situation described in the posting actually happened, then no, it is not worth anyone's time as I have clearly stated I am absolute not interested in whether it is a real event. Anything else I will respond to though.
What you want is a discussion on whether or not it is sexual harrassment.

Do ResetEra bother to reply back when you email about a ban received?

Got a first ban (perma) and have no idea why other than making a couple of posts against the site redesign a while back.

Absolutely pathetic moderation.
They hardly do, at best you get an answer saying it was for your general post history.

Redneckerz

I did say I was done, but he kept spamming me mentions and harassing me about that particular post
Dude, this is exceptionally poor wording, even for your end.
  • You said this before i made my post.
  • I didn't spam you, as i knew replying to such a post would take a ton of time i took the due dilligence and courtesy of giving you some time to respond. The fact you call it spamming when i literally tried to take your position in consideration (As far as you can go with a forum!) is nothing but insulting to me.
  • ''Harassing me'' - Are you serious? I notified you over that particular post because after some time (days) i saw you kept on posting like usual but seemed to ignore it. Again, like previously, that notification was nothing but a goddamn courtesy call out of good faith. :lollipop_confused:
I am usually not the one to bitch and moan about this if you legit think i did all that just to piss you off then mate you really ought to think differently of me. Because your terminology to describe things in this case is frankly shit.*

*And yes, i am upset. Don't be congratulatory for being the first one since im here on GAF to achieve that. :/

so I promised Neckers at some point over the weekend I will respond to his post
And did i harrass/spam you then or even before? Hell no dude. I am literally just awaiting your message, and nothing more.

so he will leave me alone about it and THEN I am done regardless what anyone has to say after I respond to it. I have already wasted more time on that particular argument then I would have liked.
Hey you said yourself that you were open to new evidence, so i gave it. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I did say I was done, but he kept spamming me mentions and harassing me about that particular post so I promised Neckers at some point over the weekend I will respond to his post so he will leave me alone about it and THEN I am done regardless what anyone has to say after I respond to it. I have already wasted more time on that particular argument then I would have liked.

And to be honest I didn't even see your post. It must of gotten lost in my notifications. I can respond to yours too at the same time if you would like and we can have a back and forth if you want. Can you link it to me if you do?

Lol, you are really toting that victim card like it is going out of style. Red didn't spam nor harass you, get the stick outta your rear, mate.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am not right wing. I am not even in Political threads exactly because of this shitty act of users trying to figure out which side you fall upon. Don't try again.
This was a side remark targeted at matt, not at you. I have no idea about your political leanings.
So... you get ridiculed for saying its sexual harrassment, and your counter point to that is... to just keep on claiming the same thing and then expecting a different outcome?
Being ridiculed is not a good indicator for being right or wrong, as long as you are not talking to a group of experts.
Again, is it it really worth the discussion? Or furthermore: Would you really want to fess up my afternoon having to post a lengthy post regarding a point that would be either better worth for its own thread or just let it go?
It's up to you, if you feel forced and do not want to, who am I to ask you to do so?
Literally nobody is presenting this as an argument.
You did, by discussing whether the statement was inaccurate and the colleague maybe only blinked.
Are you really that daft? I just asked you if you really would want me to put forward all this time and effort in a topic that frankly, i don't deem important enough to actually dedicate a 1.5 hour post to. The fact that i am even insinuating an offer to do this should provide a glimpse to my mood regarding this.
I cannot imagine it takes 1.5 hours to explain why you would deem what is described at Resetera as "not sexual harassment".
Yeah no. I dedicated a 1.5 hour post to that and if the answer to that is just a ''Im done'' then bruh. Also, he announced that before i made that post.
I don't understand the argument here. If he announced it before you made your post then he did it at the right time as to not waste your time.
What you want is a discussion on whether or not it is sexual harrassment.
Well, yes, whether what is described in the posting is sexual harassment, assuming it is reliable.

Redneckerz

This was a side remark targeted at matt, not at you. I have no idea about your political leanings.
Sorry.

Being ridiculed is not a good indicator for being right or wrong, as long as you are not talking to a group of experts.
So why do you present yourself as one? And don't say you aren't.

It's up to you, if you feel forced and do not want to, who am I to ask you to do so?
Its not up to me, its up to you, as you seem very willing to go down that road.

You did, by discussing whether the statement was inaccurate and the colleague maybe only blinked.
It was not the company of the resetera poster if i recall. It obviously is a real event.

I cannot imagine it takes 1.5 hours to explain why you would deem what is described at Resetera as "not sexual harassment".
I couldn't imagine it would take me 1.5 hours to prove Ketkat wrong either. But yes, it would probably take me a long time and 1.5 hours was just an indicator, slightly exaggerated.

I don't understand the argument here. If he announced it before you made your post then he did it at the right time as to not waste your time.
You might want to read back why his posts triggered that novelle from me. Open to new evidence since the existing one was unconvincing, so i went ahead and provided some proper examples.

Well, yes, whether what is described in the posting is sexual harassment, assuming it is reliable.
Alright.

Michele

you.
Tch...These long posts is why this 'friendship' and 'safe talking' thing here doesn't matter in THIS thread.

I am not trying to get a ban, but just to try to clarify, it feels like we're just using all each other.

Redneckerz

Tch...These long posts is why this 'friendship' and 'safe talking' thing here doesn't matter in THIS thread.
Except it does. Because this is how a fierce discussion does look like.

I am not trying to get a ban, but just to try to clarify, it feels like we're just using all each other.
In what way?

Your posts always come across as vague and confusing and always in need of a revision.

Athena~

Banned
When I caught my first 2 bans they were very responsive to my questions and complaints. On another occasion I was actually able to get my 3 day ban dismissed entirely after I pointed it out that it was a simple misunderstanding and explained what I had actually meant.

I thought you never got banned there just like me. What is the reasons for those bans?

You need something like Phantom Thief to actually work for free by posting threads or at least someone copypasting that shit here. :D
He even isn't a total nintard either.

Michele

you.
In what way?

Your posts always come across as vague and confusing and always in need of a revision.

I believe you have a point with the first part. But for the second, well, I just saw what you and Yoshi posted. It sounds more like we're agruing against each others. It sounds like we're just using each others instead of being friends, by talking like this.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I believe you have a point with the first part. But for the second, well, I just saw what you and Yoshi posted. It sounds more like we're agruing against each others. It sounds like we're just using each others instead of being friends, by talking like this.
For me it is a discussion, a friendly, if sometimes heated discourse. I hope Redneckerz Redneckerz does not see it as hostile. I certainly don't intend that and do not experience it as such.

Redneckerz

I believe you have a point with the first part.
That you are vague?

But for the second, well, I just saw what you and Yoshi posted. It sounds more like we're agruing against each others. It sounds like we're just using each others instead of being friends, by talking like this.
I am not sure how we are using each other which is an odd term but we are discussing things, yes.

For me it is a discussion, a friendly, if sometimes heated discourse. I hope Redneckerz Redneckerz does not see it as hostile. I certainly don't intend that and do not experience it as such.
At times its more than just heated to me, but my overall opinion does not get significantly altered because of one sub-discussion.

Redneckerz Redneckerz It won't be today. I got a family thing. Just giving you a heads up.
HARASSMENT AND SPAM, I'D SAY!

... That's okay though. Enjoy the family thing!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Fun fact, you have made over 50 posts on these boards since you said you have no time to reply to that post.
Fun fact. None of those posts took me longer than a minute or so to type on my phone while I'm at work and on the move.

My response to Necker's post is gonna be alot longer than that and I plan on sitting down and giving it my full attention. He gave a long ass in depth response. The least I can do is return the favor.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
I don't think Michele is typing in English. I see some common translator mistakes in their writing, if I'm identifying correctly.

Excuse me? I thought it was that meme about the username, but it seems like you typed my name correctly and not just using that meme (otherwise to Rednecker he would have seen his name, himself, from you).

Let me correct one thing for you, though. I don't use Google Translate, otherwise I would have posted even less, maybe not quoting you at all.

Redneckerz

My response to Necker's post is gonna be alot longer than that and I plan on sitting down and giving it my full attention. He gave a long ass in depth response. The least I can do is return the favor.
Don't worry, i am already spending my weekend waiting on that call, so i can spend another week waiting for it too. Just imagine me strapped to the chair and F5ing this thread hard, or with an autoscript that does this for me.

Mate if you’re gonna constantly put yourself out there like that you gotta expect a little blowback. Loosen up and roll with the punches.
You literally made that comment out of nowhere and went straight for the gutter, so no, your blowback is unjustified, especially when i responded to the complaint contained within it before.

Jesus man,you ducking and weaving.

I can’t imagine sitting back for so long. You figure he will punch himself out? Or you just have no counters?
Ill just roll with it. I appreciated his gesture.

Papa

Banned
Don't worry, i am already spending my weekend waiting on that call, so i can spend another week waiting for it too. Just imagine me strapped to the chair and F5ing this thread hard, or with an autoscript that does this for me.

You literally made that comment out of nowhere and went straight for the gutter, so no, your blowback is unjustified, especially when i responded to the complaint contained within it before.

Ill just roll with it. I appreciated his gesture.

lol you are way too sensitive man

Redneckerz

lol you are way too sensitive man
No, i just call out your bullshit for what it is, bullshit. I don't need a Myer-Briggs personality test for that.

So, are you actually going to post something worth of merit or is this the level of provocation i can expect from you?

The above should tell you that i am dealing with your punches. Trust me, you would know if it weren't the case. :)

Papa

Banned
No, i just call out your bullshit for what it is, bullshit. I don't need a Myer-Briggs personality test for that.

So, are you actually going to post something worth of merit or is this the level of provocation i can expect from you?

The above should tell you that i am dealing with your punches. Trust me, you would know if it weren't the case. :)

Whoa whoa whoa did you just threaten me on the internet???

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Excuse me? I thought it was that meme about the username, but it seems like you typed my name correctly and not just using that meme (otherwise to Rednecker he would have seen his name, himself, from you).

Let me correct one thing for you, though. I don't use Google Translate, otherwise I would have posted even less, maybe not quoting you at all.

Yeah I never know when someone is typing my name for real anymore haha.

But in any case, my bad. I just assumed that's all.

Nobody_Important

Ive also asked you to do your own research. Did you?

You want better examples? Lets look at this recent one first. Within 10 posts one user deems it needed to snoop around in the post history of Tommy 7154. Totally called for, right? Lets look at the post that was referenced instead.

Yeah I saw that thread and it deserved to be closed. The guy clearly made the thread in response to what he felt was an undeserved ban. Not only that but he made the thread with a biased poll that had bad options with enormous grey areas. So even if the guy hadn't made the thread in bad faith (he did though) the thread would have likely been closed anyway thanks to the nature of the poll itself. Though to be fair the mods could have edited the poll and opened it back up, but the fact the guy got called out for his intentions so quickly ruined any chance of the thread ever becoming productive so I understand why they didn't.

My my, a 1 week ban with the reason '' User Banned (1 week): Attacking other users; Trolling; History of severe infractions'' for this post:

The second part of his cite reacts to a user called Grimminski who said: ''Year Old Account 27 posts Ain't nobody going to listen to your bullshit PS: Jaffe's a cunt.'' who in return was responding to a post that said: ''Someone has to tell them. Maybe eventually it will sink in.''. Obviously this is totally called for and that post suffered no consequences whatsoever. (It isn't, in case you were wondering.) Tommy continues to this post:

Somehow the above comment by Tommy is ''Attacking other users; Trolling; History of severe infractions.'' But somehow the person he is responding to isn't guilty of this fact? You would think that it would be Grimminski that would be attacking other users, no?

I agree with you. The guy shouldn't have been banned and the mods should have warned the other guy.

Already covered this in my first point. The thread itself did deserve to be closed because of the OP being called out for what he was doing. It removed any chance the thread had of being able to go forward.

getting permabanned for what seems to be a reasonable posting. Community whining it is! (I post this link just as an additional source of info, not an extensive part of the argument)

He is doing exactly what they are saying he is doing. He got banned and didn't agree with it. Instead of discussing it with the staff in private he is openly attacking the staff in public and breaking the rules in the process. People can be banned for that on Gaf too. I distinctly remember a person on here getting into a back and forth with a mod and getting perm'd a while ago.

The Mods have stated before that you are fine to criticize the staff or the rules, but you have to PM one of the Mod Captains in order to do it. Now whether or not that is fair is another issue, but thats the rule.

revolving around users Zackiechan and Dr Wily who get questioned by not only Enzom but also RedMercury, another one of those baiting folks and actually a prime provoker of this craft. Watch as how the two react when facts are presented. It goes too far to list every individual post here, i reckon you can read the thread page by yourself. Ofcourse, DrWily got banned since he fell for the bait.

I said it before and I will say it again and again and again. If someone asks a user to explain their position or asks them for clarification on a topic or any other question for that matter and the user who was asked then breaks the rules of the forum that is on THEM. Not the questioner. As I stated before you cannot blame others for their mistake. Nobody forces these people to respond or break the rules when they do respond. They get confronted with questions and then they heedlessly plow ahead and in the process they break the rules. Thats on them. Not the people they are talking to. If someone calls the cops on a guy who is breaking into a liquor store and the cops come arrest him then that is on HIM. Not the person who called the cops.

You will not be able to convince that a person who asks a question is guilty for the person's response. Its just not gonna happen. That logic is so deeply flawed to me that I can't even begiun to understand how someone could arrive at that conclusion.

Read this VOAT link that sums it up far better than i ever could (And it saves me writing this out). <- If you needed a good example of baiting, this whole thing might be worth looking into.

Yeah sorry not gonna give VOAT any clicks. That place is a unmitigated disaster so I am not gonna take anything that comes from there seriously. Open racism and internet trolls everywhere. It is to Reddit what Gab is to Twitter. No thank you.

getting Permabanned for making a well sounded statement. To illustrate the bait, ill show you what post this user named Patrol was responding to from Enzom21. Enzom's post:

The above is a baiting question, in case you were wondering.

Patrol's answer:

User Banned (Permanent): History of defending and dismissing police brutality. Previous infraction for similar behaviour. Account in junior phase. Read the prior posts for more context, including some great contributions from fellow baiter DigitalOP. Relevant context here: Patrol is a police officer himself. This is a proper example of how baiting can lead to a ban, so i hope that just by purely using Enzom i have elaborated this point enough. Apparently this same Patrol got banned from OldGAF aswell, so makes you wonder, hm?

I just went and looked at his posting history and he had 66 posts and pretty much every single one of them is in a thread defending the police in cases of brutality and excessive use of force. Even cases where it was essentially inexcusable. So him being perm'd for a history of such behavior is completely justified in my opinion. I have no patience for people who support such things when there is clear evidence that the police were out of line.

this user tells Patrol: ''Fuck you you racist racist piece of shit! I'll gladly take my ban for telling you one more again fuck you racist piece of shit'' and does not get a ban or even a warning for attacking other members/inflammatory. Strange, isnt it?
Should have been actioned on in my opinion. Just because the person you are insulting deserves it doesn't give anyone the right to break the rules as far as I'm concerned. The Mods dropped the ball there.

Enzom also believes a user being upset with mod Slayven must be because Slayven is black. I am not even kidding here. In case you were wondering why Enzom21 loves to ask The Racial Question over and over to banned or warned users.

Yeah its a baseless assumption to make, but not sure what else I can say there. He was not the only one making fun of the troll member. He simply took it in a ridiculous direction. If they should have warned him then they should have warned everyone. And I'm not willing to say that they should have. Obvious troll was obvious and got piled on. It happens.

Here is a story of a user who wants to travel the world on a sailboat and has planned this along with his wife and daugther, who wont come with him when this happens in 5 years when the daugther is 10. See this post for explanation. Excelsior then proceeds to bait, complain and call the user a deadbeat dad, among other things, displaying condescend, judgemental, and tone policing, because that's what you do, no? Fellow member of The Names Morrigan has to step in at page 6.

Yep. Over the line by quite a large amount. Should have been actioned.

for a week for ''Inflammatory comparison, accumulated infractions''. This post by Excelsiorlef suggests she hitted the report button (Without directly stating it so, obviously. If you are at this point in reading, Nobody: This is the part where you have to read inbetween the lines in order to understand why i am saying what i am saying in this thread.)

Except he wasn't banned for a week because of that post. He was banned for a week because he broke the rules again and thus they went with a higher punishment. They even say so in the ban message. "Accumulated infractions" Meaning that he has been warned and banned many times and now we are gonna step it up. If you break the rules and get banned 3 days come back and then break the rules again in the same way you are not going to get banned 3 days again. They are likely to raise the period of the ban due to the person being a repeat offender which is what they did in this case. I am pretty sure Gaf does the same thing now that I think about it.

with Excelsiorlef that Brianna Wu isn't trans. Excelsior claims she isn't. This user disagrees, and eats a permban for ''Transphobic content'' because she makes a rather light comparison. Even so, do you think that's worth a perma?

Perm? idk about that, but definitely some kind of ban. A week or so maybe. She was being Transphobic in my opinion and being pretty flagrant about it at that.

Already covered "baiting" and my view on it.

If you want a graph showcasing the kind of baiting, here is one from 4 months ago showing the reply-actions to Excelsiorlef. Reply-actions happens when a moderator acts upon a poster replying to this user or Excel replies to this user (In this case Excelsiorlef). Now that you know this, the graph is in the spoiler below. Please be advised that this is from data from 4 months ago, and might have been worse since. (In case you want to try it out yourself, here is the link. Be warned, the site might load slowly as it computes the graph.) The blue i believe represents warnings, and the red bans, the thickness i believe represents the amount of times Excel replied to a user. In case you were wondering that there is a grand scheme pertaining that baiting is a illusion. It is now visually represented by the posts these users have made themselves, it is thus a statistical fact.
aK3xAbD.png
An (outdated) explanation of the system (Which has since expanded to include colours, but atleast the summarizes a general idea) is found here. (Disclaimer: I don't agree with the language used in the comment section over there.)

Bonus: You can also just look for yourself how amazing Excel is, with this link and this one. Warning: VOAT contains commentary i personally distance myself from and i would not use this language or support it.

You are essentially telling me that is a member who spends all their free time on the site and someone who spends the vast majority of that time in some of the most sensitive threads by the looks of their post history and has over 27k posts in a lil over a years time (holy shit) is frequently involved with people getting banned. Mind you the vast majority of bans occur in such threads due to their sensitive or controversial nature. So it makes perfect sense to me that the person who spends more time than anyone else on Era in threads that get the most bans is of course going to be also tied to the most bans.

If are gonna tell me that someone is the common factor in alot of bans then I am gonna assume they either

A: Spend ALOT of time on the site

B: They exclusively hang out in controversial threads

C: Spam the report function like mad

D: They are doing it intentionally

With that post count and time spent as well as their obvious sensitivity towards certain issues it could be a combo of all 4 for all I know.

Disclaimer:
I do believe my Enzom examples are more established and understandable than my Excel examples, but in general i think both serve the point i want to bring across, namely that both users are terrible. :messenger_winking:

Even if those users are guilty of everything you are alleging that doesn't mean this is common among Era's members. Even your "lists" as a whole only have a couple dozen members at most and that is a fraction of the sites total population. Its not representative of the whole. All you have done is round up a list of what you think are the worst people on the site and trying to pretend that its Era in a nutshell and its not. I could do the exact same with Gaf with all the people continually harass and insult me and try to pretend that it represents all of Gaf, but that wouldn't make it a fact. All it would prove is that there is shitty people on Gaf.

There are shitty people in pretty much every internet community though. This is not new and this is not exclusive to Era. I have never claimed that Era is some beacon of awesomeness or perfection. It has shitty people just like any other site. But that doesn't make the SITE shitty. That makes those people shitty.

Is it really not? Because you are the only user here on GAF that consistently places doubt on bans and recurringly also claim that ERA staff isn't flawless. Whilst i buy into the latter part, i don't buy the former. This consistent doubting of obvious misuse of staff perks is further enhanced by the fact you repeately have mentioned to see some of the mention staff as friends or people you interact with.

If you actually go back and read what I said you will notice I said I am on "friendly terms" with them meaning I don't think they mind if I PM them questions about various rules or specifically what someone did wrong to get a ban. And even then its only 2 of them and thats just because they frequent the same threads I do and we talk about the thread topic back and forth. Its not like I am Facebook friends with them. I have PM'd both of them combined a total of 8 times. 6 of those times was due to my own moderation issues, 1 was me asking for clarification on a rule and the other was me asking about that guys ban like I said I would. Other than that all of our interactions have been in various threads around the forum.

Being on friendly terms =/= friends. Not in my book anyway. For example I consider myself to be on friendly terms with Yoshi Yoshi or @ssolitare , but I don't know them well enough to call them friends. I would however think that I could PM them or they PM me and it not be a weird thing to do.

Thus, it is not strange that people want to connect the dots, no matter how you opposed you are at that. And, concurrently, i am starting to believe that notion aswell. You can't deny that such behavior comes across as strange and taking a defendist attitude at some of ERA's staff members, despite that you have also said some of their policies are not right either. Considering you are disagreeing with obvious, although not pitch perfect (admittely) examples and apparently unable to read the context behind them before reaching a conclusion, i really have to ask if it really isn't such a important issue in the first place. Because i believe it is.

I can very easily think that Era is not perfect and still enjoy it despite whatever you or anyone else choose to believe. If you want to believe that I think that Era is some perfect paradise free from problems and drama then you can go right ahead. But that doesn't make it true. I have even agreed with you people in here on a variety of cases. I even pointed out how utterly ridiculous it was that they closed their own feedback thread and that it was bullshit that they asked for feedback and then got upset that it wasn't the feedback they wanted to hear. Hell even in this post I have agreed that the mods handled certain situations poorly and that people should have been banned or something for what they said.

I do it more often than you guys like to admit and then you just ignore when I do and then continue to pretend as if I have never criticized Era or its various issues.

And yet, you aren't opposed to playing Devil's Advocate against rather obvious cases. So if the moderation is problematic to you, instead of me and others having to list examples for your amusing, perhaps it is better that you come up with a list of examples of what you consider inconsistent moderation behavior? I am being serious here.

I am not going to do that. You all have already listed plenty of cases where I have said there is inconsistencies or that the Mods screwed up. So there are already examples. I am not gonna waste even more time than I already have hunting down examples of something that you already believe. That would a complete waste of time.

You don't find it strange that:
  • Excelsiorlef never gets banned for anything despite her questioning
I do find that strange. I never said I didn't.

Enzom21 near-always asks a question pertaining to racial issues (And also never gets banned for anything)

There are no rules that I know of that says a member can not ask racially based questions so long as they are not offensive in nature. So not sure why he would be banned for that. Unless he has been in which case yeah warn, ban etc.

One user was banned off-site in a Discord for things that occurred on ERA (Can back this up but after all the linking i think i am good in establishing credulence)

No idea what you are talking about here so I can' really say anything.

The ban reasons are near-universal

I know right. Its almost as if the majority of the ban messages are all written by the same members of staff and the reasoning for bans are all really similar because they are all breaking the same rules. Also its almost as if Era mods prefer not to personalize their ban messages like Gaf mods do sometimes so they intentionally use the same descriptions when posting the ban reasoning.

Spooky stuff.

Alimanassor has the worst takes of them all and still takes a spot on the membership list

I don't know who this person is.

Oh i could show you even more, but you have this entire thread

There are good examples in this thread. Thats why I have agreed with them and voiced my own criticism about Era on multiple occasions, but you all keep trying to ignore that fact constantly as I have already pointed out.

Once again just because I am not doing the moonwalk and pissing all over Era everytime one of you posts something does not mean that I think Era is perfect. No matter how hard you try and pretend that it does.

No thanks. As I have already said I will not willingly go to that shithole. You have even commented yourself about the type of people that are there.

No idea what this is.

To that extent, go ahead and prove it wrong.
:) Since you have your ERA connections, i am sure you can wiggle some tails there. Or don't, in which case you would have to accept the conclusion that it is very unlikely that half of the gaming hemisphere is wrong and thus subject to bias and a grand scheme of things.
You aren't more clever than anyone else here, and i like you purely for your alternative train of thought because without dissenting and opposing opinion you never get far. There is however a limit and that limit in this case is when you are opposing of something without even knowing what you are opposing for. Which is how one would arrive at the accusation of personal bias and grand scheme of things.

Im not so much against opposing view, but i am against ignoring telltale signs of a broken system. And if you are going to proclaim that the majority consensus is wrong, biased and its all just a grand scheme, then you better show why we are wrong, or provide evidence to the contrary, or understand that your perception might be a bit clouded.''

I don't need to prove you wrong. I wouldn't ever dream of wasting that kind of time when you are very clearly set in your beliefs when it comes to Era. You have this Era in your head that you have built up and established by only reading the very worst of what you can find and then pretending as if that is the whole site and its not.

Meanwhile I spend everyday there in the gaming section and I see NONE of the kind of shit you guys are showing me on here. And thats not me saying I think you are lying. Thats me saying that you are focusing on the very worst of what Era is. The average member (Like myself) doesn't experience the kind of Era you all see. The vast majority of people find their niches and then just hang out with people who share their interest. Not every member is some 18k post keyboard warrior with a vendetta against the establishment. Not every member is a "SJW". And I know that. Thats why I repeatedly disagree with you all that Era as a whole is some kind of evil empire or whatever else you guys try to paint it as. Its just like Gaf. It has some shitty people on it and it has some shitty threads from time to time, but for the most part the site is made up of good people. You are not gonna convince me otherwise. I have seen too much proof of it with my own eyes.

You all are taking the worst of what you think Era is pretending thats the norm. That would be like taking the very worst of humanity and pretending that represents all of humanity. How do you think that work out?

But if you wanted new evidence: Have a look above. So you don't have to keep an eye out. :) This post took me over 1.5 hours to write. If that isn't establishing credulence insanity, then i hope that by now my red neck is a bit covered by this. :)

I'm at the 1 hour and 43 minute mark as I am typing this lol

PS: Ultimately, lets not forget hate speech is also a thing on ERA. This gets no penalty, calling politician Sarah Sanders a ''lying fat sack of shit''. Other perfectly sane comments made in that thread:
-Burn in hell.
-a huge cunt.
-Go fuck yourself
-a lying cunt
-Just like we remember the Nazis as good obedient folk just following orders Burn in hell Sarah.
-feckless cunt
-sack of shit
-human garbage
-I'm sure Hitler hoped he would be remembered as a martyr and courageous leader right before the bullet tore through his brain.
SHS is pure dog shit swimming in a lake of dog shit.
-fat sack of shit

-Disgusting, abetting pig will do just fine.

And you will not find me defending the majority those people. They should have been warned or worse as well. The "sack of shit", "Go fuck yourself" and "human garbage" are all bannable if directed at another member absolutely, but if someone just goes into a thread about Trump or some other terrible person and yells that into the void then I am personally fine with it. As long as its not violent, threatening, racial, homophobic etc I'm fine with it. If people wanna be over dramatic with their insults against a shitty person on the internet then go for it. I myself do it sometimes if I am pissy enough or the situation is bad enough.

And with 2 hours spent I am officially done entirely. If you still disagree then we are just too far apart to come to an agreement. I heartily recommend you save your time. I won't continue going in circles. Agree to disagree. This is my final post on the subject. I will be more than happy to go in cricles again another time on another subject, but not this same one. If it was a more serious issue like gay rights or abortion then I would probably go a few more rounds, but this just isn't that big of an issue to me to spend this much time on over and over again. I hope you understand that I don't mean that in an offensive way. I will say though I have come away from this with a deeper respect for you as a person. You genuinely have an interest in debate when it comes to this issue and are willing to go to bat for your opinion which is what prompted me to give this final response.

And with that done I now need another beer.

EDIT: I caught numerous mistakes and open ended arguments that I had to add onto, clarify, or correct. Sorry if this causes any confusion.

P.S. Yoshi Yoshi that took WAY longer than I was expecting and I am tired as hell. I promise I will get to your post another time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Meanwhile I spend everyday there in the gaming section and I see NONE of the kind of shit you guys are showing me on here. And thats not me saying I think you are lying. Thats me saying that you are focusing on the very worst of what Era is. The average member (Like myself) doesn't experience the kind of Era you all see. The vast majority of people find their niches and then just hang out with people who share their interest. Not every member is some 18k post keyboard warrior with a vendetta against the establishment. Not every member is a "SJW". And I know that. Thats why I repeatedly disagree with you all that Era as a whole is some kind of evil empire or whatever else you guys try to paint it as. Its just like Gaf. It has some shitty people on it and it has some shitty threads from time to time, but for the most part the site is made up of good people. You are not gonna convince me otherwise. I have seen too much proof of it with my own eyes.

Very good post and I especially agree with the part I quoted. There are lots of people on ERA I can't stand, just like GAF before (and GAF currently). There's lots of moderation decisions I don't agree with as well, including the ones you disagree with. Hostility toward members should never be allowed regardless of whether the person "deserved" it or not and too often good post get bans with reasoning like arguing in bad faith or making false equivilancies when it's really just that the opinion went slightly against the safe space mission of the site.

And that's certainly valid reasons for people who want to discuss sensitive topics who don't toe the party line to stay away from the site. But as you note, that stuff is all pretty moot to people who don't give a shit about talking politics or social issues with randos online. If you're just there for the gaming OTs and gaming communities threads you pretty much never see that stuff. Maybe early on after release of a game that was attached to some controversy (like RDR2 and the crunch issue), but that calms down fast and mods are pretty good about getting that out of OTs and to the dedicated threads for whatever issue if you report trolls. Gaming news threads are also mostly good, just again some shit if it's a game/developer that the usual suspects take issue with. But I don't care to discuss news and just read the op and linked articles anyway, so again the drama doesn't affect me.

To me, it's just an unfortunate fact that every active forum is going to have issues. A huge proportion of people that spend a lot of time have serious mental health issues and that's going to include a lot of moderators and admins at time as those are people spending a lot of time online doing a job for free most of the time. I've been on forums for 25+ years and never been on an active one that didn't require ignoring a lot of idiots and having mods I felt were either to aggressive/biased or too lenient and let too much offensive content and insulting of members go on. At this point with me being 40 and grumpy there's just no online community I really enjoy, so it's just a matter of finding ones I can at least tolerate. I just stay with Era due to the activity level in the OTs and community threads (and even niche games/genres having them) and the timely posting of news. The update with the ignore thread feature (that also works with the prior user script) helps as well with curating a better experience--and to me that's necessary on any site to reduce nonsense and just get rid of clutter since I'm uninterested in most of what's posted. I'd ignore WAY more users and threads (if GAF had that feature) so I spend most of my time over there. Again, it's just a matter of finding the most active community that I can tolerate without going insane.

Other's are completely the opposite and that's understandable given the differences between the sites in membership, moderation and types of topics that get a lot of activity. I'm glad traffic is steadily increasing here and keep an eye on it and see if it ever increases in the ways that interest me (i.e. super active OTs and community threads for more than the latest big western AAA game) as I do like the more even moderation here and don't mind just ignoring the members that post shit that offends/triggers me. There's just not enough of the type of activity that brings me to forums here yet and not something I can do anything about as starting OTs doesn't do any good if they sink like a stone, and posting in them is worthless if no conversations are happening as it's just one person bumping and talking to themselves. That will take a change in membership to bring in/back more people that want to chat about the games they're playing and less about political/social issues and random gaming polls/questions/debates and console warring stuff that dominates the gaming side here currently. I'm also planning on scaling back and posting a LOT less starting today (holiday vacation with some friends in a bit) as my main New Year's resolution, so I won't be active enough to help in any case. But I'll keep checking in and seeing how it's going, and I'm curious to see what they have in the works with the changes to communities that Evilore has talked about.

Anyway, cheers and happy holidays to all!

Last edited by a moderator:

plushyp

I am not going to do that. You all have already listed plenty of cases where I have said there is inconsistencies or that the Mods screwed up. So there are already examples. I am not gonna waste even more time than I already have hunting down examples of something that you already believe. That would a complete waste of time.

There are good examples in this thread. Thats why I have agreed with them and voiced my own criticism about Era on multiple occasions, but you all keep trying to ignore that fact constantly as I have already pointed out.

You all are taking the worst of what you think Era is pretending thats the norm. That would be like taking the very worst of humanity and pretending that represents all of humanity. How do you think that work out?
Even as a passive observer I've been noticing in your posts the frequent use of the underlined which has prompted me to comment on this. Why do you generalise everyone here on NeoGAF by saying "you all" when not everyone here shares all those views regarding ResetERA? Aren't you committing the same mistake that you accuse members on GAF of regarding their notions about ERA? If you are taking a neutral stance then I would expect you to not treat everyone here as sharing the same views like that and instead address those members directly.

Wow at some of these responses in here..some good discussion but I’m sort of thinking this thread may of ran it’s course and is being a distraction to some of the other great things going on in the other areas...if your lurking please check them out

ALso on a side note if Your posting on gaf with the same username as you have on era you are getting flagged by the era hit squad....just a friendly heads up

If you say anything out of line here they will trawl your post history and report you on your old posts and you will most likely eat a ban.

Have a merry Xmas

Nobody_Important

Even as a passive observer I've been noticing in your posts the frequent use of the underlined which has prompted me to comment on this. Why do you generalise everyone here on NeoGAF by saying "you all" when not everyone here shares all those views regarding ResetERA? Aren't you committing the same mistake that you accuse members on GAF of regarding their notions about ERA? If you are taking a neutral stance then I would expect you to not treat everyone here as sharing the same views like that and instead address those members directly.

Yeah thats my bad. I should have been more specific. When I say "you all" in that post I am referring to the usual suspects that occupy this thread and regularly try to portray Era as being something its not.

I meant those people. Not Gaf as a whole. Thats my mistake.

Last edited:

Acerac

Banned
Wow at some of these responses in here..some good discussion but I’m sort of thinking this thread may of ran it’s course and is being a distraction to some of the other great things going on in the other areas...if your lurking please check them out

ALso on a side note if Your posting on gaf with the same username as you have on era you are getting flagged by the era hit squad....just a friendly heads up

If you say anything out of line here they will trawl your post history and report you on your old posts and you will most likely eat a ban.

Have a merry Xmas
It has ran it's course? Is ERA closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom