• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Because it isn't a harmless post. Sheet herself is at the forefront of supporting the most inane ridicules so for Sheet to be sarcastic in this isn't harmless, at all. If you still aren't aware that you need to take anything Sheet says with a truck load of salt and assume there is a double floor in intent then i don't know what to tell you.
Then I have to return to my initial question: Please explain to me, where this double floor is in this posting. Why is this posting not harmless?

Just feels strange to me carry a torch for such a infamous user in similar fashion as @Nobody_Important does who seemingly has poofed from this thread.
I do not carry a torch for excelsiorlef, in fact, a discussion with excelsiorlef where excelsiorlef was treating me pretty rude has lead to my ban, as you probably know, what motive could I have to protect excelsiorlef in any way? Still, I think it is important to stay fair and from my perspective, this specific posting is fine and should not be sanctioned. E.g. the behaviour in the thread I got banned for should have been sanctioned at the very least by a warning, however. Because that was actually and aggressively trolling. Nobody_Important Nobody_Important hasn't been carrying anyone's torched either. He just happens to have a different opinion on the extend to which Resetera's moderation is too strict than most others here. Considering his postings here almost always lead to petty personal insults, I can understand if he does not want to post in this thread anymore. If you (all, not just you personally) treated him a bit more respectfully, maybe you could have more interesting discussions instead of circle jerks.

Since when are Alt Accounts allowed?
nick_young_confused2.png
as this user signed up last week, only has 15 posts and is labelled an alt-account.
Some suggestions:
1. It is an account for someone who also has an official account to be able to speak without connection with the official matter
2. It is an account for a moderator who does not want to be treated as a moderator in discussion
3. The tag is some kind of joke
4. It could be a perma banned user who asked for and has received second chance, but only under the condition of not regaining posting privilege with the old account.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Then I have to return to my initial question: Please explain to me, where this double floor is in this posting. Why is this posting not harmless?
You will just have to look more closely to Sheet's posts and do some digging yourself if you don't understand that Sheet's postings are never honest.

I do not carry a torch for excelsiorlef, in fact, a discussion with excelsiorlef where excelsiorlef was treating me pretty rude has lead to my ban, as you probably know, what motive could I have to protect excelsiorlef in any way?
To debate about things that aren't interesting to anyone but yourself?

Nobody_Important Nobody_Important hasn't been carrying anyone's torched either. He just happens to have a different opinion on the extend to which Resetera's moderation is too strict than most others here. Considering his postings here almost always lead to petty personal insults, I can understand if he does not want to post in this thread anymore. If you (all, not just you personally) treated him a bit more respectfully, maybe you could have more interesting discussions instead of circle jerks.
There is a point, but i am not the person in the right position to make that one since my interactions with Important are limited compared to others. I do would want to stress that you broke a lance in similar fashion for KevinKeene when he got axed, because he was a longtime friend, but it turned out you are also strikingly unaware as to why his ban ended up being justified. Again, like Sheet, you just have to look. Given how everything has to be rationalized, i would wager it serves an interest to you.

Some suggestions:
1. It is an account for someone who also has an official account to be able to speak without connection with the official matter
2. It is an account for a moderator who does not want to be treated as a moderator in discussion
3. The tag is some kind of joke
4. It could be a perma banned user who asked for and has received second chance, but only under the condition of not regaining posting privilege with the old account.
  1. Which shouldn't be allowed. I remember Swidge got a name change (Which didn't help anyways as a perm eventually was still issued) but The Names granting alts for people they deem highly yet they permban anyone who does this (Which is a piece of cake according to Blam Blam ).. plausible, but pathetic if true.
  2. Then why be a member of The Names then if you don't want to carry responsibility? Not that they are carrying it right now, but still..
  3. To a week old user with 15 posts? Seems unlikely. It seems more likely its an alt and they just let it be.
  4. This does not correlate with the fact this account is a week old. It would have been permbanned within that week and none of his 15 posts carry a public perm. There is, however, a 2 day ban for trolling.

Yoshi

Yoshi Yoshi Redneckerz Redneckerz

Do you guys have jobs or is sociopolitical analysis of Ree your job?
My job is to earn me the title of Greenneckerz.

Yes, I do have a job and no, it is not to analyse Resetera. Considering I am not even visiting the Resetera forum anymore outside of links here, I would be pretty bad at that job anyway.

Last edited:

Blam

• Which shouldn't be allowed. I remember Swidge got a name change (Which didn't help anyways as a perm eventually was still issued) but The Names granting alts for people they deem highly yet they permban anyone who does this (Which is a piece of cake according to @Blam).. plausible, but pathetic if true.

• Then why be a member of The Names then if you don't want to carry responsibility? Not that they are carrying it right now, but still..

• To a week old user with 15 posts? Seems unlikely. It seems more likely its an alt and they just let it be.

• This does not correlate with the fact this account is a week old. It would have been permbanned within that week and none of his 15 posts carry a public perm. There is, however, a 2 day ban for trolling.

Yeah they'd do this. This is a thing they'd offer to certain members. Who that one is beyond me.

On a side note I think I still have all of their original design docs. Even ones I participated in saved somewhere lol.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So, the Escapist has relaunched and it already has been making movements into the realm of political bullshit that the rest of the gaming journalism sphere has been embroiled in - despite the owner (Russ Pitts) stating otherwise.

Recently a (pretty decent) article was posted about someone "finding themselves" through video games. It was a nice story about how video games helped someone with their daily struggles. However, a few posters went down into the comment sections and had some genuine concerns, only to be silenced by Russ Pitts and one of the new moderators who seem to be pushing the same ignorant rhetoric we see on sites such as Polygon and ResetEra. From purposefully misconstruing an argument someone made, deleting their stuff, refusing to expound upon *why* they thought it was wrong, and straight out stating that "everything is political".

For a site I used to really enjoy, it seems to be falling right into the trap of ignorance that it claimed itself to be free from.

Ivellios

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13591187/

Wtf how does this get a ban and all the "fuck white people" get a pass? Are the white mods only allowed on gaming side?

Its because punishments vary from mod to mod. Era has no universally set standards when it comes to what is and isn't over the line or how long punishments can be. It is done on a case by case basis and depends on the context of the situation or thread, the mod who takes action and the severity of the infraction in their eyes. Its one of the main problems the site has when it comes to moderation. The rules are set up as if Era is a small forum made up of friends and hobbyists and moderation like that would totally work if thats what Era was, but Era outgrew that overnight and Cerium/Hecht never adjusted the moderation standards to compensate for that fact despite several requests for them to do so.

The site is a massive gaming and political forum that is moderated like a small Reddit subforum. It leads to inconsistent moderation and variable punishments.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Sure, lets defend a unprepared man who did nothing for 30 years instead, and on top of that supports a dictatorship that tortured and killed people in the past.

For a poor country like Brazil it seems like stealing 2 billion dollars is a much, much worse sin, and thats how most people see it according to last weekend's elections.

Last edited:

Typhares

Wow a person got banned for racism? Well color me shocked.

How is it racist to say you have trouble distinguishing people based on facial features? Especially from your own ethnicity.
How is it discrimination or prejudice? It's just a statement about his own limitations probably from lack of exposure.
Basically what you are saying is that it shouldn't be admitted for some reason.

Nobody_Important

How is it racist to say you have trouble distinguishing people based on facial features? Especially from your own ethnicity.

Okay a few things need to be said here

1) We have no idea if the person was actually Asian or not. We only have their claim that they are and given the racist generalization the thread is built on and other comments the person made in the thread I find it hard to believe that they actually are. And even if they are that doesn't make it okay which brings me to....

2) Just because a person is Asian doesn't mean they get a free pass to make racist comments about Asians. It is racist to make sweeping generalizations about a race or ethnicity. It doesn't matter who is making the generalization. If I (I'm white) suddenly make a thread making some ridiculous generalization about white people then that would make me a racist too and it would be just as incorrect as that persons thread. It doesn't matter that I am apart of the group I am insulting. Its still racist.

3) The person was given multiple answers to his OP and many chances to clarify his position and take a step back from his racism and instead decided to double and triple down on them. Thus he received a one week ban. Deservedly so.

Last edited:

TBiddy

When I watched The Pacific I had a hard time telling the characters apart. It was really an issue for me. I'm not sure that makes me racist.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
It doesn't matter who is making the generalization. If I (I'm white) suddenly make a thread making some ridiculous generalization about white people then that would make me a racist too and it would be just as incorrect as that persons thread. It doesn't matter that I am apart of the group I am insulting. Its still racist.

Please, correct me if I am wrong and my deepest apologies if I am indeed wrong, but weren't you also defending Ms. Sarah Jeong (the bigot SKorean that NYTimes hired into their editorial) because, "you (as a white) were not offended by her tweets?"

I could be wrong but I remember a quote like this one of yours in the thread about her in Neogaf. Once more, my apologies if I am wrong.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!

1) We have no idea if the person was actually Asian or not. We only have their claim that they are and given the racist generalization the thread is built on and other comments the person made in the thread I find it hard to believe that they actually are. And even if they are that doesn't make it okay which brings me to....

2) Just because a person is Asian doesn't mean they get a free pass to make racist comments about Asians. It is racist to make sweeping generalizations about a race or ethnicity. It doesn't matter who is making the generalization. If I (I'm white) suddenly make a thread making some ridiculous generalization about white people then that would make me a racist too and it would be just as incorrect as that persons thread. It doesn't matter that I am apart of the group I am insulting. Its still racist.

3) The person was given multiple answers to his OP and many chances to clarify his position and take a step back from his racism and instead decided to double and triple down on them. Thus he received a one week ban. Deservedly so.

But only white people can be racist

Typhares

1) The arguing in bad faith point? Ok fair enough, some other users seem to already know he was Korean but I guess he could have been lying from the start.

2) He didn't make any such things. He didn't say that all asians looked alike but that the support cast of the movie was difficult to differenciate for him. He even said the main cast was abolutely fine in that regards. I still don't see discrimination or prejudice.

3) Again no, what do you want him to do? Someone else say 'no I didn't have any issues' and all of a sudden he has to say you're right I didn't have any problem... It's a discussion not conversion therapy. Some people pointed out that it might be because the support cast are more of generic beauty standard types and OP agreed it could be. Someone on the first page even said that they had the same issue with white characters in a movie they all wear helmet, guess that's racist too.

Nobody_Important

1) The arguing in bad faith point? Ok fair enough, some other users seem to already know he was Korean but I guess he could have been lying from the start.

2) He didn't make any such things. He didn't say that all asians looked alike but that the support cast of the movie was difficult to differenciate for him. He even said the main cast was abolutely fine in that regards. I still don't see discrimination or prejudice.

3) Again no, what do you want him to do? Someone else say 'no I didn't have any issues' and all of a sudden he has to say you're right I didn't have any problem... It's a discussion not conversion therapy. Some people pointed out that it might be because the support cast are more of generic beauty standard types and OP agreed it could be. Someone on the first page even said that they had the same issue with white characters in a movie they all wear helmet, guess that's racist too.
Saying people of a certain race or ethnicity all look alike is a known racist stereotype and insult. It's been one for decades. He was rightfully banned for trying to perpetuate that stereotype.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Its because punishments vary from mod to mod. Era has no universally set standards when it comes to what is and isn't over the line or how long punishments can be. It is done on a case by case basis and depends on the context of the situation or thread, the mod who takes action and the severity of the infraction in their eyes. Its one of the main problems the site has when it comes to moderation. The rules are set up as if Era is a small forum made up of friends and hobbyists and moderation like that would totally work if thats what Era was, but Era outgrew that overnight and Cerium/Hecht never adjusted the moderation standards to compensate for that fact despite several requests for them to do so.

The site is a massive gaming and political forum that is moderated like a small Reddit subforum. It leads to inconsistent moderation and variable punishments.

First thing we’ve ever agreed on.

Papa

Banned

“All Asian people think alike.”

Papa

Banned
Please, correct me if I am wrong and my deepest apologies if I am indeed wrong, but weren't you also defending Ms. Sarah Jeong (the bigot SKorean that NYTimes hired into their editorial) because, "you (as a white) were not offended by her tweets?"

I could be wrong but I remember a quote like this one of yours in the thread about her in Neogaf. Once more, my apologies if I am wrong.

He flip flopped half a dozen times over the course of 24 hours. When I called him out on it, he ignored me lol.

God Enel

Would you say that he is a racist?
I would never call him or anyone a racist for that. I don’t think he meant in a benign way or as an insult. Imho we are calling everyone a racist nowadays who says some dumb shit no one gives a shit about like little bitches. Everyone is offended nowadays. Especially in the www

To call him a racist is IMHO a joke. But the ban is kinda okay and I can get behind it, i wouldn’t do it though.

But maybe my view on it is lose or I am wrong. I can’t tell anymore if I’m a racist or crazy Or the world is going crazy or whatever the hell is happening.

TrainedRage

Banned
I never knew Reeee didn't have a ToS and rules for conduct? It's almost as if they are all making it up as they go. At least according to @nobodyimportant

Yoshi

Saying people of a certain race or ethnicity all look alike is a known racist stereotype and insult. It's been one for decades. He was rightfully banned for trying to perpetuate that stereotype.
Saying you ave trouble distinguishing them is a different thing though and while it certainly can be used by a racist to say something that is not directly racist but still me perceived of having racist subtext, I'd argue that it is not a racist statement per sé because it has a basis in reality. Said basis is not "they all look alike" but "properties that are distinctive features in one ethnicity are so commonplace in other ethnicities they are not good measures to distinguish them". As a consequence, if you have little experience with people of an ethnicity, you may have trouble differntiating them, because you instinctively focus on properties that are an ill fit to distinguish people of this ethnicity. Please correct me if there is an error in my thinking here, but due to the aforementioned reason having trouble telling people of some thnicities apart is not (necessarily) a case of racism. Of course, I haven't read all 200+ postings in the linked thread, but the specific posting that got the person banned does not appear to be (necessarily) racist to me.

Redneckerz

Yoshi Yoshi Redneckerz Redneckerz

Do you guys have jobs or is sociopolitical analysis of Ree your job?
I have a partial job, yes. If you don't want me to post in this thread anymore, then ill happily forfeit it from now on.

It is a job that is very much needed. Plus it gives me something to read while I am takin' a poop. I commend them for that.
I should bundle them and release it as the GAF Chronicles. With interviews with fellow ERAdians! Lets get to hear how much this place is a shithole and we are all just accomplices by participating on a forum still maintained by a sexual abuser! :messenger_expressionless:

Yeah they'd do this. This is a thing they'd offer to certain members. Who that one is beyond me.
Ofcourse they do. :messenger_neutral: Why did i even expect for once that The Names would inhabit a moral responsibility?

On a side note I think I still have all of their original design docs. Even ones I participated in saved somewhere lol.
Might be fun to have them here, annotated (So without names, that is).

I am sure it has been mentioned before but the valkyria topic was hilarious.
Don't get me started on that if i have to believe the one ERA discord i am in that talked about this. I get that people are mad but it was something else seeing the disdain for VC4, GAF in general, and predominantly Evilore, or my own character. Any civilized attempt to discourse is completly squashed and its literally the most vile part of GAF leaving the solar system. Just today i was repeately told to go fuck myself simply because i said that Tyler isnt a sex abuser by virtue of the shower situation. I was merely correcting the statement. Or that you aren't taking the VC4 scene in context if you watch the entire scene and realize the protag is like that the whole game.

Hell, i got even implied i was defending sex abusers and thus as bad as Tyler. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Pure insanity. I don't even know how you could keep up that kind of negativity. It was very enticing to make personal accusations but i am glad i didn't, even though it was aplenty on the other side. That does not mean i have a morally superior stance, just that i kept my cool when these volcano's erupted and REEEEEEED.

But despite increasing member numbers they still believe that GAF is done for. I dunno, how long did it take ERA to go from 35k to 41k after 30k was reached in a month? :lollipop_winking: Its better that the places are seperated.

Best part they actually do have set standards but nobody follows them
That could be a standard by itself. Anarchy and chaos also operate within fixed rules.

Oh, the user who got a 3 day ban for hardcore suggesting a certain Mconnell should be assasinated saw his ban changed from 3 days to perm:

retardera195-jpg.562358

Ofcourse, the staff had to save face:

retardera198-png.562360

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I have a partial job, yes. If you don't want me to post in this thread anymore, then ill happily forfeit it from now on.

I should bundle them and release it as the GAF Chronicles. With interviews with fellow ERAdians! Lets get to hear how much this place is a shithole and we are all just accomplices by participating on a forum still maintained by a sexual abuser! :messenger_expressionless:

Ofcourse they do. :messenger_neutral: Why did i even expect for once that The Names would inhabit a moral responsibility?

Might be fun to have them here, annotated (So without names, that is).

Don't get me started on that if i have to believe the one ERA discord i am in that talked about this. I get that people are mad but it was something else seeing the disdain for VC4, GAF in general, and predominantly Evilore, or my own character. Any civilized attempt to discourse is completly squashed and its literally the most vile part of GAF leaving the solar system. Just today i was repeately told to go fuck myself simply because i said that Tyler isnt a sex abuser by virtue of the shower situation. I was merely correcting the statement. Or that you aren't taking the VC4 scene in context if you watch the entire scene and realize the protag is like that the whole game.

Hell, i got even implied i was defending sex abusers and thus as bad as Tyler. :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Pure insanity. I don't even know how you could keep up that kind of negativity. It was very enticing to make personal accusations but i am glad i didn't, even though it was aplenty on the other side. That does not mean i have a morally superior stance, just that i kept my cool when these volcano's erupted and REEEEEEED.

But despite increasing member numbers they still believe that GAF is done for. I dunno, how long did it take ERA to go from 35k to 41k after 30k was reached in a month? :lollipop_winking: Its better that the places are seperated.

That could be a standard by itself. Anarchy and chaos also operate within fixed rules.

Oh, the user who got a 3 day ban for hardcore suggesting a certain Mconnell should be assasinated saw his ban changed from 3 days to perm:

retardera195-jpg.562358

Ofcourse, the staff had to save face:

retardera198-png.562360

Oh, lighten up. If I wanted you to stop posting, I would tell you. I enjoy your posts and was just giving you a ribbing.

Redneckerz

Oh, lighten up. If I wanted you to stop posting, I would tell you. I enjoy your posts and was just giving you a ribbing.
I know, i am just being ill as of a few days and as such i may come across as heckled (Well let alone the Discord talk). There is no harm done, i do spend way too much on these to be any sensible. :p

ERA daily violence post: https://www.resetera.com/posts/13656836/

(About Kavanaugh)
That's a ban, 3 days ofcourse since he isn't directly saying that Kavanaugh should be assasinated.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I know, i am just being ill as of a few days and as such i may come across as heckled (Well let alone the Discord talk). There is no harm done, i do spend way too much on these to be any sensible. :p

That's a ban, 3 days ofcourse since he isn't directly saying that Kavanaugh should be assasinated.

No action as of right now.

Papa

Banned
Saying you ave trouble distinguishing them is a different thing though and while it certainly can be used by a racist to say something that is not directly racist but still me perceived of having racist subtext, I'd argue that it is not a racist statement per sé because it has a basis in reality. Said basis is not "they all look alike" but "properties that are distinctive features in one ethnicity are so commonplace in other ethnicities they are not good measures to distinguish them". As a consequence, if you have little experience with people of an ethnicity, you may have trouble differntiating them, because you instinctively focus on properties that are an ill fit to distinguish people of this ethnicity. Please correct me if there is an error in my thinking here, but due to the aforementioned reason having trouble telling people of some thnicities apart is not (necessarily) a case of racism. Of course, I haven't read all 200+ postings in the linked thread, but the specific posting that got the person banned does not appear to be (necessarily) racist to me.

TL;DR Asians look similar because they lack diversity?

Things that make you go hmm 🤔

Ivellios

For a poor country like Brazil it seems like stealing 2 billion dollars is a much, much worse sin, and thats how most people see it according to last weekend's elections.

Elections here are a mess and we are fucked either way, but this is getting off-topic. The thread you mentioned is about a very disgusting game about Bolsonaro so while i disagree about the perma bans there the game do sucks and deserves to be reported

Yoshi

I was agreeing with you. Think on it.
I perceived your posting as a sarcastic remark born out of agreement, but the second line could also be read a bit more literally and still be seen as an agreement. I read your remark as "Expect this answer from a Resetera mod".

Redneckerz

Yoshi, I can understand your side, and I see where you’re coming from too Matt404au. But if you don’t both calm down I’m gonna have to close this thread instead of letting you two argue it out like grown adults.
This isnt something the lady in your avatar would say.

But i reckon you are very.... Sweet.

Amirite? :pie_smirking:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
(1) The notion that the sensibility of the social justice movement is driving moderate left leaning people to the right
(2) The perceived hypocrisis of right-leaning (or moderate?) people when complaining about an outrage culture on the left when they get riled up about issues like the clapping here all the same.

I am fairly certain the social justice movement has pushed me to be much more cynical and conservative about social issues. For example:

‘If white people lost the right to vote, the world would be better off’

That statement alone makes me want to vote to harm people with that opinion. I'll admit that I am petty enough to let things like that get to me. I'd much expend my political energy to vote for things like universal health care and a stronger safety net, but given the choice to stick it to racist assholes and voting for things that would make my life marginally better, I'll chose to stick it to racists.

If social justice folks want allies from centrist liberals, stop punching up and I might bother to listen. And I know I am not alone here with that sentiment.

*edit - TLDR - The far left needs to listen to the rational left and focus on issues that make things better for everyone, instead of using divisive tactics. Squeaky wheels go into the landfill, instead of getting grease if they are gonna be hard to repair.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom