• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivellios

It's in op how it is considered transphobic: They used a tag that is used by transgender people to complain about Trump's planned policy of putting sex rather than gender on the id to advertise their download service for games and made clear by the comment afterwards that they are aware that they are using a tag that is being used by a different group for a completely different purpose. They are certainly making fun of the concern of the people using the tag.

Whether it is transphobic is a matter of personal threshold for such things. I would deem it a jab and not specifically transphobic, but many trans people actually are under the impression that their lifes are at stake due to Trump's policy here. For people who associate such severe consequences with this policy, it is understandable that they are very sensible towards co-opting their platform for a quick marketing joke.

I will accept the smacking, though I might appear butthurt over it.

I read the thread OP, and i still stand by my opnion. It was at most a bad joke and CDPR corrected it by deleting the tweet in question.

I also think its wrong for the mods to say in the OP "If you disagree this was transphobic, we will ban you" this basically kill any possible discussion about this.

Acerac

Banned
I wouldn't call them nearly that bad, but they are so ridiculous that they've made me care much less about their cause.
Nobody has hurt my opinion of trans individuals worse than Excel. I've never spoken to her but the countless fights she has initiated with potential allies is just disheartening.

The worst part seems to be how common her mindset seems to be within ERA. It seems foolish to fight transphobia in a manner that causes people to literally be afraid of trans individuals.

No words a right wing demagogue can speak are as powerful as what people can observe, and I feel she is doing more to hurt the overall trans community than any good she is accomplishing. It sucks because the community needs prominent voices, but preaching such hatred will not lead to making allies...

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
My internet was down for two days, so I missed some Reset drama during this time.

I finally caught up and jesus christ, there's a 70 page outrage thread over some tweet.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...eople-again-this-time-from-gog-read-op.76395/

Remember, it was roughly 1 year ago when all those lunatics left Neogaf to form a new echo chamber.

70 pages of 'fuck these guys'. These loony leftists say the word 'fuck' so much it almost makes me want to stop swearing.

Shmunter

Seems Eurogamer has jumped onto the CDPR are bigots with a new article. We can expect that from them now.

But what’s more disheartening is they are now moderating out differing opinions and on their way to creating an echo chamber safe space. What a shame it has come to this.

JordanN

Banned
Even the mods there seem to acknowledge Resetera exists as an Account Banning factory.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...-from-gog-read-op.76395/page-71#post-14121837

FgWJ9MQ.png

"What's today's productivity, comerade?"
"Oh the usual. Executing Banning anyone who opposes the hivemind."

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Even the mods there seem to acknowledge Resetera exists as an Account Banning factory.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cd...-from-gog-read-op.76395/page-71#post-14121837

FgWJ9MQ.png

"What's today's productivity, comerade?"
"Oh the usual. Executing Banning anyone who opposes the hivemind."
I'm more disturbed by the poster they were replying to.

The tone at ERA when they are on the ban-path wavers between glee and a resigned sense of duty.

They read like characters our of Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler. This is ideological blindness.

Arkage

Banned
https://www.resetera.com/threads/by-popular-demand-the-return-of-hide-forum-threads.35590/

There’s a chrome extension you can use to hide threads. You can set filters to block threads with certain words in the title and just click the x that appears when you hover over threads to hide specific threads.

Only works in desktop chrome, so not useful if you only browse on mobile. Great if you only/mostly browse from a computer.

Lol back when I was a member there I used that extension. But then I got banned anyway for defending one of my favorite speakers (Sam Harris) from the "bigot" label and that was apparently just too fuckin' much for them to handle, so I left.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So I was thinking maybe not alot of you guys saw this leak a while back from there moderator forums.

They seem to literally never follow their own rules also lmao what apparently being active in a thread is a bannable offense lmao.
I have to say these policies are very reasonable and would be the basis for a pretty good moderation standard though. I have to say though, that in my three warnings I have received, I never got a PM about it.

Papa

Banned
I have to say these policies are very reasonable and would be the basis for a pretty good moderation standard though. I have to say though, that in my three warnings I have received, I never got a PM about it.

It all sounds reasonable until you get to the Governance section, at which point it becomes clear that the rules aren't rules and are in fact suggestions.

Yoshi

It all sounds reasonable until you get to the Governance section, at which point it becomes clear that the rules aren't rules and are in fact suggestions.
I feel this is still reasonable, because individual situations may not fall that clearly in line with the suggested stuff and sometimes added severity even on a first offense may call for stricter measures. It of course depends on how it is meant, specifically, but in principle, to say that these examples are not exhaustive and it is permissible, within reason, to issue stricter or less strict moderation actions depending on surrounding details and execution is fine. I am pretty sure that NeoGAF will also have a bit of leeway in the moderator actions, because you cannot properly cover all situations by your examples and categories.

Papa

Banned
I feel this is still reasonable, because individual situations may not fall that clearly in line with the suggested stuff and sometimes added severity even on a first offense may call for stricter measures. It of course depends on how it is meant, specifically, but in principle, to say that these examples are not exhaustive and it is permissible, within reason, to issue stricter or less strict moderation actions depending on surrounding details and execution is fine. I am pretty sure that NeoGAF will also have a bit of leeway in the moderator actions, because you cannot properly cover all situations by your examples and categories.

Disagree based on the following wording: "these criteria are fluid, not comprehensive, and are only to be used as a guideline". What you describe should be a rare exception, which is not in line with this wording.

Yoshi

Disagree based on the following wording: "these criteria are fluid, not comprehensive, and are only to be used as a guideline". What you describe should be a rare exception, which is not in line with this wording.
It certainly depends on your interpretation, but moderation is hardly a hard science and is very much a matter of personal judgement, so it is fitting to make such rules a guideline. This does not excuse wild west banning without any regard for the guidelines, but there are some hard stops in there, e.g. that a normal moderator shall not issue any ban beyond one week on his own discretion. This ensures that the guidelines are not overextended on a moderator's own volition. However, if mod captains or admins then go overboard and love to hand out the perm hammer for things that are merely mild offenses per the guidelines, that is a different issue.

Whitecrow

Banned
I cannot believe this! Resetera has doxxed Cyberpunk!!

That site really needs to be shut down! I usually would want to keep that site around for humor, but this time, I can't stand it anymore!!

https://lulz.com/cyberpunk-2077-doxed-harassed-hashtag-wontbeerased-1513/

edit:
1540372612098.png
1540372698141.png
Indeed, they are becoming the cancer of creativeness, and something that needs to be erradicated ASAP.
Really, what the hell do they think they are? The fukng rulers of the world? Come on...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If they stay on Era despite everything that is happenning there, I would doubt they are 'normal' at all.
Nah, ignorance is bliss. The Xbox One 6-month-trainwreck (from Orth to the actual release) took place only a few years ago and there were users feebly clinging to the brand. (this is not meant to be an inditement of the current Xbox brand or the current company).

When people are willing to spend their money on their favorite brand under those circumstances, it tells me that we are still very much creatures of familiarity and comfort.

The cognitive dissonance will continue growing, though.

tkscz

I cannot believe this! Resetera has doxxed Cyberpunk!!

That site really needs to be shut down! I usually would want to keep that site around for humor, but this time, I can't stand it anymore!!

https://lulz.com/cyberpunk-2077-doxed-harassed-hashtag-wontbeerased-1513/

edit:
1540372612098.png
1540372698141.png

The image is missing, but doxxing really? I bet these people are so far up their own asses that they are justifying the shit out of doing it. You can't justify this kind of madness.

Yoshi

Nah, ignorance is bliss. The Xbox One 6-month-trainwreck (from Orth to the actual release) took place only a few years ago and there were users feebly clinging to the brand. (this is not meant to be an inditement of the current Xbox brand or the current company).

When people are willing to spend their money on their favorite brand under those circumstances, it tells me that we are still very much creatures of familiarity and comfort.

The cognitive dissonance will continue growing, though.
I am one of those who protested a lot because of the DRM stuff but still bought an Xbox One early. Microsoft threw out the idiots who most strongly associated with this consumer-hating stuff (Orth, Mattrick) and changed the policy to an acceptable one. I am mad they tried to pull that stunt, but after they reversed it I think it is fair to buy the product that now has acceptable policies behind it. Afterall, we want companies to change bad policies, so if we continue to punish them for the bad policies even if they are retracted, how can we expect them to?

Policy wise PS4 and Xbox One are on par now, but Xbox One has the significantly better controller and I do not care about graphics (also MS owns Rare, so there's always the chance of a must have appearing exclusively on Xbox One out of nowhere), so Xbox One was the natural choice to me.

And with people who still wanted to buy Xbox One despite those policies: Maybe they did not care about them because they primarily play online games or are not interested in ownership issues or, yes, they are such big fans of certain Xbox games they can at least tolerate the policies. This is probably related to my point on Resetera itself.

For Resetera, the forum is more than just the owners. If there are a lot of people you like to talk with, you may stay on the forums even if you are aware of and not in agreement with the strict moderation policy.

Last edited:
He didn't delete shit beacuse he either didn't have an account, or he didn't want lose his games.
We know it, he knows it but he has to virtue signal how fucking angry he is.
He probably downloaded all his GoG games before "deleting" his account, they're DRM free either way....

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am one of those who protested a lot because of the DRM stuff but still bought an Xbox One early. Microsoft threw out the idiots who most strongly associated with this consumer-hating stuff (Orth, Mattrick) and changed the policy to an acceptable one. I am mad they tried to pull that stunt, but after they reversed it I think it is fair to buy the product that now has acceptable policies behind it. Afterall, we want companies to change bad policies, so if we continue to punish them for the bad policies even if they are retracted, how can we expect them to?
This is sensible. I'm merely drawing the comparison to point out that all people carry the tendency to stick to a brand (or a website, or a religion, or a political party, or a whatever)

Humans are more loss-averse than they are reward-inclined. More or less, that is one of the pillars of our tribalistic tendencies.

Policy wise PS4 and Xbox One are on par now, but Xbox One has the significantly better controller and I do not care about graphics (also MS owns Rare, so there's always the chance of a must have appearing exclusively on Xbox One out of nowhere), so Xbox One was the natural choice to me.

And with people who still wanted to buy Xbox One despite those policies: Maybe they did not care about them because they primarily play online games or are not interested in ownership issues or, yes, they are such big fans of certain Xbox games they can at least tolerate the policies. This is probably related to my point on Resetera itself.

For Resetera, the forum is more than just the owners. If there are a lot of people you like to talk with, you may stay on the forums even if you are aware of and not in agreement with the strict moderation policy.
Yeah, I don't believe in labelling the whole community just because the mods and an active minority are acting that way. I do not believe we should stoop to "guilty by association" and assume the people remaining on ERA are either blind or complicit.

That said, leadership sets the tone. And I predict they are leading their website off a cliff though perhaps unintentionally.

Whitecrow

Banned
CDP lawyers should be at work.

At least I would be, knowing that Era is nothing less of a hub full for people who justifies personal harassment based on whatever they want.

Blam

Blam, what do you think about this whole GOG situation?

Do you consider it offensive?

No why would I under any circumstances find this offensive. People need to understand GOG/CDPR are POLISH. They do not have the same problems and ideals as we do in the US. I hope people understand Polish people still largely think homosexuality is a disease.

So how am I supposed to be offended at CDPR? or GOG? They and I'm sure everyone there seriously don't know what they are doing. In return this basically explains everysingle bad tweet they've put out.

Sure it's dumb that they don't research their stuff before hand but can I blame them? Not really two different cultures.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
@thread were aware now that we have two threads running mostly focused on Era, and a little on kiwi, voat, KiA and the bore (one of these is not like the others). So I contemplated just locking and rebooting but thought I'd open it to suggestions as you folks are the ones posting in it.

Maybe split into two topics?

The resetera meltdown thread
Other communities general thread

Post thoughts below and @me and I'll take a look later.

Acerac

Banned
Wait. So they doxxed CDP twice now? And this time it wasn't just a normal user?
Fuck them, really.
If that's how the administration acts what can you expect from the members?

A thread just for our friends at ERA and a separate thread for other communities makes sense given how... very much there seems to be to discuss about them in particular these days.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The Dan Houser Thread about that he is happy not to release a new GTA now is pretty funny XD

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dan-houser-is-thankful-he’s-not-releasing-grand-theft-auto-6-in-the-age-of-trump.76737/

Oh boy they really lose their shit in there and actually proving his point XD
That thread is a very frustrating read.

It's like they are actively refusing to understand the meaning of what Houser is saying and immediately jumping in with the usual gotchya phrase they learned on twitter. I wouldn't want to release a multi million dollar political satire piece in this highly charged political climate right now either.

Omoiyari

Hello everybody, I come from ResetEra, I normally don't post here, mostly because I don't personally agree with positions and attitudes from a lot of users and sometimes staff decisions but I've discovered something extremely troubling about one of the admins of ResetEra, Hecht, and since I've been permabanned from that site(ironically enough the same day I notified the mods about this and was waiting for their response) for concern trolling(fair to say I don't agree with the way my words and intentions were interpreted at all, take a look if you're interested: #556 and #567) I don't have anywhere else to really post this at this point, and I firmly believe this is something that NEEDS to reach as many resetera users as possible because i truly believe this is a fundamental issue about leadership over there.

Ok let's begin:
Everyone is familiar with the GOG tweet scandal by now. As the discussion progressed, some users were posting identifiable information about the person behind the infamous tweet. Of course(and thankfully) doxxing is heavily moderated on ResetEra and everything was removed. There are also multiple mod posts about refraining from releasing or endorsing the doxxing of this person. Here's the mod post detailing the forum's strong stance on releasing personal information of this person:
tNUb5o9.png

At the same time on twitter someone started posting a twitter thread with identifiable information about the GOG PR person, and in the final tweet he thanked Hecht for providing this information, this final tweet was liked by Hecht.

WgsqkEv.png

tFkvuf9.png

This is the whole thread. Sorry for all the censoring and all that, I would post the archive link, since I've saved this as soon as I saw it, but it contains doxxing information and I won't post it, but I have provided the archive to the mods and they told me that I could post information about it here and they can hopefully confirm that i'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Interesting thing to note: both the person that posted the thread and Hecht have their personal twitters set to private at the time i'm writing this. I'm not sure if that's related to this or not, but looking at the whole timeline and the timing of this I felt the need to point that out.

-The reason why this is troubling is because not only doxxing in general is abhorrent, but seeing one of the admins of one of the most influential gaming forums approve of such behaviour at the very least and also going out of their way to personally provide identifying information that lead to that doxxing at the very worst, is absolutely unacceptable and I just felt the need to bring this thing to light because i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.-

All I ask is for someone at the top of the resetera management to acknowledge this, and at least explain this behaviour and possibly apologise for it and I haven't seen that so far.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
He didn't delete shit beacuse he either didn't have an account, or he didn't want lose his games.
We know it, he knows it but he has to virtue signal how fucking angry he is.
People should know that Alimnassor is a known troll who has been banned a few times already for his takes, often against ERA aswell. Imagine having a bizarre take and then someone taking LSD and asking to form an opinion on the subject of your choosing. Those are his takes. Just that little extra WTFery. There is no way this isn't intentional at this point.

Wait. So they doxxed CDP twice now? And this time it wasn't just a normal user?
Fuck them, really.
Ian Miles Cheong insists that The Names doxxed along with the user (I should show you the picture) but if one reads clearly, The Names (Hecht, i am just going to call it publically, in ERA's eyes that's doxxing too heh) are just liking tweets from a Tweeter who did doxx and suggest Hecht found out earlier than (I believe GOG, not CDPR) although its usually public info (Its just scummy, not doxxing) and sarcastically applying for the now vacant job of Social Media Manager at CDPR.

Funny thing: As soon as this got called out Hecht closed up his account. Don't you just love it when people stoop so low to be able to dish nasty shit out, but run at the slightest sight of being criticized for it? For all the shit-flinging they do to others, The Names and The Little Helpers are the biggest pussies to grace the Interweb. Complete lack of accountability and responsibility. Spoiler: If you don't want karmic repentance, consider not being a dick in general. <- This post is already violating LGBT respectfulness per ERA hidden ruling.

Bonus: Here is the whole interaction. GOG user name in question by tweeter not thrown in as it contains personal information. Also spoilered for extra safety.
upload_2018-10-23_3-30-9-png.573882

And this link here. Too much to repost either way. Thanks to Crunklord, author of the Ban Bot.
Goes along with O Omoiyari 's post above who redacted it.

That's a great Idea. Just now I don't know where to post/discuss ERA stuff because both are too similar.
However Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights sometimes big gaming community things like the CDPR/GOG talk sees crossover communications with Reset. How are we ought to deal with that? It is unavoidable to mention them when part of the publicity is generated by their incredible overreactions and advocacy for the greater good (Which in reality means getting upset over damn tweets and if you aren't towing the line you are just a dummy and banned)

Hello everybody, I come from ResetEra, I normally don't post here, mostly because I don't personally agree with positions and attitudes from a lot of users and sometimes staff decisions but I've discovered something extremely troubling about one of the admins of ResetEra, Hecht, and since I've been permabanned from that site(ironically enough the same day I notified the mods about this and was waiting for their response) for concern trolling(fair to say I don't agree with the way my words and intentions were interpreted at all, take a look if you're interested: #556 and #567) I don't have anywhere else to really post this at this point, and I firmly believe this is something that NEEDS to reach as many resetera users as possible because i truly believe this is a fundamental issue about leadership over there.

Ok let's begin:
Everyone is familiar with the GOG tweet scandal by now. As the discussion progressed, some users were posting identifiable information about the person behind the infamous tweet. Of course(and thankfully) doxxing is heavily moderated on ResetEra and everything was removed. There are also multiple mod posts about refraining from releasing or endorsing the doxxing of this person. Here's the mod post detailing the forum's strong stance on releasing personal information of this person:
tNUb5o9.png

At the same on twitter someone started posting a twitter thread with identifiable information about the GOG PR person, and in the final tweet he thanked Hecht for providing this information, this final tweet was liked by Hecht.

WgsqkEv.png

tFkvuf9.png

This is the whole thread. Sorry for all the censoring and all that, I would post the archive link, since I've saved this as soon as I saw it, but it contains doxxing information and I won't post it, but I have provided the archive to the mods and they told me that I could post information about it here and they can hopefully confirm that i'm not pulling this out of my ass.

Interesting thing to note: both the person that posted the thread and Hecht have their personal twitters set to private at the time i'm writing this. I'm not sure if that's related to this or not, but looking at the whole timeline and the timing of this I felt the need to point that out.

-The reason why this is troubling is because not only doxxing in general is abhorrent, but seeing on of the admins of one of the most influential gaming forums approve of such behaviour at the very least and also going out of their way to personally provide identifying information that lead to that doxxing at the very worst, is absolutely unacceptable and I just felt the need to bring this thing to light because i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.-

All I ask for is for someone at the top of the resetera management acknowledging this, and at least explain this behaviour and possible apologise for it and I haven't seen that so far.
This is what i was going to do but now i can re-use this safely. Thanks. I linked to Hecht's CDPR talk which is in line with this stuff. Apparently Hecht didn't doxx anyone, but stuff is flying fast.

Last edited:

Omoiyari

This is what i was going to do but now i can re-use this safely. Thanks. I linked to Hecht's CDPR talk which is in line with this stuff. Apparently Hecht didn't doxx anyone, but stuff is flying fast.
Yes technically Hecht wasn't the person directly doxxing the GOG manager but his like on that tweet specifically mentioning him reeks of endorsement and approval of abhorrent behaviour and I just had to point that out, especially because of his rules-making position of power on the site.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Ok let's begin:
tNUb5o9.png

At the same on twitter someone started posting a twitter thread with identifiable information about the GOG PR person, and in the final tweet he thanked Hecht for providing this information, this final tweet was liked by Hecht.

WgsqkEv.png

tFkvuf9.png

-The reason why this is troubling is because not only doxxing in general is abhorrent, but seeing on of the admins of one of the most influential gaming forums approve of such behaviour at the very least and also going out of their way to personally provide identifying information that lead to that doxxing at the very worst, is absolutely unacceptable and I just felt the need to bring this thing to light because i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.-

All I ask for is for someone at the top of the resetera management acknowledging this, and at least explain this behaviour and possible apologise for it and I haven't seen that so far.

Thank you for conversing in a calm, collected manner. I do hope you converse more and share some opinions in other threads. Differences in opinion can lead to great discussions and better understanding for both parties.

Doxxing is a very real issue and this isn't the first time Era have done such, as you most likely know. I doubt they will do anything to Hecht as they are so entrenched in their "fighting the good fight" mentality. Sorry for your removal, but do not threat too much. Era is by no means "one of the most influential gaming forums" and there are far better places to discuss Gaming, Pop Culture, and Political topics on the internet.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yes technically Hecht wasn't the person directly doxxing the GOG manager but his like on that tweet specifically mentioning him reeks of endorsement and approval of abhorrent behaviour and I just had to point that out, especially because of his rules-making position of power on the site.
Yeah, when i saw Ian's tweets i read them correctly and he was just blowning it up as technically it can't be said that Hecht doxxed people, despite the anonymous doxxer saying so. He certainly endorsed it though and the whole sarcastic act on the position of CDPR and calling them shitheads.
upload_2018-10-23_0-23-57-png.574226
(I doubt censoring needs to be applied here, it was a public Tweet after all)

Oddly Hecht also liked this tweet which is odd since it suggests that CDPR shouldn't have apologized. (Same story here):

upload_2018-10-23_0-22-40-png.574225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom