• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
It really has escalated over there recently.

It was always left leaning but now it's aggressively so. There is no way it can last. I'm not sure how much the off topic brings in hits vs gaming.. But.. Damn.

I just hope we don’t take back too many of the extremists when Era inevitably implodes, assuming some of them would even want to come here now that it’s no longer a social justice echo chamber.

I just hope we don’t take back too many of the extremists when Era inevitably implodes, assuming some of them would even want to come here now that it’s no longer a social justice echo chamber.

I don't think that's an issue, necessarily. If the moderation / etc remains the same, it should just add more viewpoints.

There are times they're right on things and issues, but their inability to ever be wrong, or acknowledge that other viewpoints can be valid is their weakness. I hope NewNeoGAF doesn't fall into that mentality.

Papa

Banned
I don't think that's an issue, necessarily. If the moderation / etc remains the same, it should just add more viewpoints.

There are times they're right on things and issues, but their inability to ever be wrong, or acknowledge that other viewpoints can be valid is their weakness. I hope NewNeoGAF doesn't fall into that mentality.

My concern would be that the mind virus would lay dormant initially but would gradually spread and undermine the culture as it did with NeoGAF and apparently is doing now at Era. We wouldn’t even notice the culture had changed beyond repair until it was too late.

Btw I thought we were calling it NeoNeoGAF 😛

Corrik

It really has escalated over there recently.

It was always left leaning but now it's aggressively so. There is no way it can last. I'm not sure how much the off topic brings in hits vs gaming.. But.. Damn.
The problem I see is. That is it getting so radicalized and they are normalizing so much violence with their slanted moderating that there is a possibility an attack is carried out by someone from there. I would really be worried if Trump wins the presidency again with the reaction from there.

One thing I always thought, and I know will never happen, is that posters should have a flag to symbolize what country they hail from or have their country listed.

One reason I say this is because I know in many threads over there and sometimes when I discuss on GameFAQS that some of the people who are leading the conversation about how terrible America is and such are actually people from other countries at first usually.

Like I had a person telling me how bad cops are in America and how black people should be afraid to leave their homes and should defend themselves if cops even try to pull them over. And, it turns out the poster saying this was from the Netherlands or something. He had absolutely zero experience in America at all.

I just find it interesting how people who have no experience in America talk so much like they do.

dionysus

Yaldog
It's probably a good thing almost none of them are business owners.

The majority of American workers work for small business, and I believe small business owners skew Republican. Would they be ok if those owners imposed a litmus test saying that to work here you must be accepting of Trump voters?

If you make it socially acceptable to persecute people people based on politics, it won't be long before that persecution turns toward targets you wouldn't want it too.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It's probably a good thing almost none of them are business owners.

Agreed. It’s another thread where I just don’t understand their viewpoints. They would add 60 million people to permanent unemployment because they don’t agree with them politically?

Agreed. It’s another thread where I just don’t understand their viewpoints. They would add 60 million people to permanent unemployment because they don’t agree with them politically?

I believe they would think of it as some kind of corrective action.. "fix your thinking, get rehired!" would love to see their litmus test for being a "reformed Trumpist" .

As others have said.. It starts down a bad road, and surely it won't be long before it's used against them.. Why can't they see that? It's like TrumpRage(tm) is blinding them.

pramod

Banned
Reading that place sometimes makes you feel that the whole country is out of control and people have totally lost it, but having followed politics for a long time and if you apply some perspective, you realize that this is how the left has always acted throughout history and has always used the same strategies. Also things seem like a power keg now but at least nothing as bad as the LA riots has happened yet...when an entire city became a war zone.

I might get some hate for this, but oh well. Is anyone else here a member of the NeoFAG Voat? I post on that subverse under the username PhantomMartyr. I was a member there before I joined GAF. I joined GAF early this year when I saw that it actually had improved a lot and wasn't the unhinged far left echo chamber it once was. I actually like posting on this forum now that people can voice different opinions and have actual discussions without getting banned by authoritarian mods. Now we at NeoFAG mostly make fun of ResetEra due to that forum being 1000x more insane than this place ever was. It's kinda weird seeing GAF make a thread like this and doing the same thing us Voat shitlords are doing.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Thread is now locked.

This will be a fun thread to go to. Already great ban reasons

:D:D
Ofcourse it got locked. That whole thread had all the characteristics of a honeypot thread on a topic that is currently in the news. They do that from time to time, keeping such threads open for a prolonged period of time (Although as the thread progresses its clear moderation action needs to be undertaken) only for them to lock the thread temporarily (Which is pretty much always permanently) after time has passed, and then banning people/extending people's bans afterwards.

I think I agree with you. To be honest, I don't get why being a Trump supporter means you're being an evil person/bad person or something like this. We each all have our own opinions - for example someone can support Trump, someone else can like or support something - if someone is supporting someone/something, I think it's bad to criticize their opinions.

Perhaps someone might have been ridiculized, criticized or even banned only because of his/her opinion - it's already harsh enough as it is. There is no need to criticize or ban anyone for their opinion, in my own opinion
I am going to side with this. Sadly we live in an ERA (heh) where any political deviation or affirmation gets treated as if it says everything about you as a person. People you liked, people you have been good friends with - Some how when you say you support X, and X is apparently problematic, all the other aspect's of one's character get disregarded.

I feel this is partially why i am not so fond of the Two Party system in the US here (That run the show). News on it is given so much importance that people are treating others purely based on political affilation. You are a Obama lover? Then get off my land! Trump supporter? GTFO!

People are more than just pawns with a political flag stuck on top of their heads. This isn't real life stratego: We talk about people here. People that can be outspoken on political issues, and who might or might not be family and friends. Straining relationships over politics is in my eyes an online invented narrative. You have to be against them, or you aren't fulfilling your political duty. Kind of scary, if you ask me.*

*FWIW i have a long standing American friend who apparently is a fan of Ann Coulter and Trump, Or well, turned to them last year. I don't see him any different than how he was before, all i note is that i don't follow the personalities that he does. And that's it really. Is he now suddenly a worse person because of it? I don't think so. He remains as approachable as before, and he listens to other points of view, just like i do with his.

You know what the world really needs? Some universal empathy and understanding. So many trivial issues that you could fix, even in daily life, just by being nice, making random chatter, asking how people's days are...

Thanks. I know that you replied to me. I still have zero idea what you are trying to say.
Let me try again. Part of it is in reference to ERA posters shutting the MAGA Hat user down and equating it to a nazi, part of it is addressing your post.

Either way, if this (short) explanation does not help either, ill offer to explain in PM, but i don't think its that important enough, but that's your call. I am just making the offer. :)
Like I had a person telling me how bad cops are in America and how black people should be afraid to leave their homes and should defend themselves if cops even try to pull them over. And, it turns out the poster saying this was from the Netherlands or something. He had absolutely zero experience in America at all.

I just find it interesting how people who have no experience in America talk so much like they do.
Okay now i am intriqued, which detective did you hire? :p (I think i know who you refer to though.)

I might get some hate for this, but oh well. Is anyone else here a member of the NeoFAG Voat?
Nope. I do read it, but like Kiwi, and The Bore, i filter out all the posts that are rather brazen in nature. There is a lot on Voat i don't really like, like them having a dox compilation on certain ERA members. That stuff is completely over the top and it reminds me more of a 4chan lynch mob.

There are some proper posters there though. Just not liking much of the vocalbulary that is on use there.

Interestingly, asking if ERA is built out of shared values gifts you a warning for ''Creating threads about cross forum drama'' and a lock.

Clearly it does show that some ERA goers know what is going on, hence the lock. But the question itself isn't problematic or warnable. It feels like the OP gets punished for the commentary of others (Who don't get flagged for criticizing).

But:
I think those 4 posts perfectly cover every facet of how ERA is today: Fear, aggression, limitations, dogpiling. There are so many ways that question by the OP could have led to a perfectly reasonable conversation, but somehow, even the most innocent question is looked at with eyes of suspicion. All this leads to a cramped playground, where invisible walls of unofficial rules dictate how you should play in the playgarden. How is enabling (and maintaining!) such a restrictive playground in any way transparent or, as Cerium puts it, ''To foster an environment that brings people together in open dialogue.''?

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
ResetEra gives Trump so much power over their lives. Like he blows his nose and they are protesting his use of a certain brand of tissue because it may be a tissue that enables racism and fascist ideology.

The whole debate over hiring a Trump supporter shows just how far into outer space that bubble has gotten.

It's honestly not even upsetting to me anymore, I'm starting to actually and honestly feel bad for some of those people.

Redneckerz

Can't have people in the playground that mention that we are surrounded by invisible walls and how nice the water looks across the playground (that we can't reach).

EDIT: This was rather unneeded and just vitriol on my part. Removed the context from my ERA discord ousting, but left the conclusion open.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
https://www.resetera.com/threads/has-the-resetera-experiment-worked-so-far.54181/

Quickly locked for "Please do not make threads about cross forum drama".

Haha, no. Bulk of people and mods are from GAF. Off-topic is and always will be an echo chamber.
I think it's the opposite. mods are enforcing a single opinion and worldview. it's actually more strict than GAF but without the embarassment of having a compromised public face.
Is it safe to reply with criticism in this thread or will you be warned?
"welcoming others with differing points of view" is basically a dogwhistle at this point. No. If that is your barometer, you are in the wrong fucking place. "Differing views" are not as valid as one other, nor should they be as tolerated as one another. Nor should certain views be ""welcomed"". I do not think OP is posting in good faith. I smell a locked thread coming very quickly.
Far more hot takes, everyone is fucking mad about everything (talking about videogames and rightfully in Off-topic with social issues), ban baiting, socially inept people and overall a more aggressive approach to everything.
I mean, it's not a failure. I have doubts about the consistency and integrity of the moderation.

It's Jeff

Banned
ResetEra gives Trump so much power over their lives. Like he blows his nose and they are protesting his use of a certain brand of tissue because it may be a tissue that enables racism and fascist ideology.

The whole debate over hiring a Trump supporter shows just how far into outer space that bubble has gotten.

It's honestly not even upsetting to me anymore, I'm starting to actually and honestly feel bad for some of those people.

That's true. The paranoia is problematic and seriously, Trump doesn't have a list of names on his desk that he's preparing a mass grave for. You're not that important.

When you're descending into this train of thought, a good friend of yours should be there to tell you to cut the shit. Nobody gives a fuck that you're gay, trans, or pansexual but you. Feeding the delusion that it's hunting season and Trump is issuing tags on people that are different isn't making things better. This parade into conspiracy doesn't befit a crowd that I know is bright and logical... but that 1488 thread, man. Woof.

JordanN

Banned
Identity politics at play with the new SCOTUS pick.

Another white man takes the bench...
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tr...-for-supreme-court.54378/page-2#post-10216769

No one expected anything different, Trump is 100% old white male, boys club, etc.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tr...-for-supreme-court.54378/page-2#post-10216769

Yeah, this is another reason I can't identify (hehe) with the left. As a normal person, skin color never entered my mind about judicial judges.
But "oh no, a white guy is picked to be a judge. How awful". Yawn.

bucyou

Also cant help but be entertained by the clinging to the ol' "but hillz won the popular vote if life were fair she'd be prez" in the SCOTUS thread

Last edited:

Dunki

Holy shit the cave thread about these boys is fucking awful. How did it switch to racist shit in which they already blame white people for the whitewashing of the future movie I mean wtf

Papa

Banned
Holy shit the cave thread about these boys is fucking awful. How did it switch to racist shit in which they already blame white people for the whitewashing of the future movie I mean wtf

Wait what? Can you link the specific comments? I don’t want to get cancer from having to read the thread.

Dunki

Wait what? Can you link the specific comments? I don’t want to get cancer from having to read the thread.
The movie will be told from the perspective of a white family that was vacationing nearby...
81wrDB9c4BL._SY445_.jpg

Scarlett Johansson and Emma Stone will play the Thai boys

https://www.resetera.com/threads/12...-continue-read-op.51546/page-43#post-10206583

Guys don’t be ridiculous. The film will still take place in Thailand and the boys will be Thai (played by any boys that look vaguely of Asian descent).

But the movie will be ABOUT the Caucasian American ex marine who has to lead the operation to save the kids will suffering from PTSD about the time that his wife and daughter drowned before he could save them.

Y’all really think Hollywood is going to pass on the chance to make a white savior film?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/12...-continue-read-op.51546/page-43#post-10208260

two examples and modteam also said to cut down on these posts but they also banned everything that has to do with Elon Musk. But these posts are almost fine just no too much of them.

Breakage

These people will seek any opportunity to have a pop at white people, but they will be the first to pride themselves on being "anti-racists".

Last edited:

Harksteed

Banned
I might get some hate for this, but oh well. Is anyone else here a member of the NeoFAG Voat? I post on that subverse under the username PhantomMartyr. I was a member there before I joined GAF. I joined GAF early this year when I saw that it actually had improved a lot and wasn't the unhinged far left echo chamber it once was. I actually like posting on this forum now that people can voice different opinions and have actual discussions without getting banned by authoritarian mods. Now we at NeoFAG mostly make fun of ResetEra due to that forum being 1000x more insane than this place ever was. It's kinda weird seeing GAF make a thread like this and doing the same thing us Voat shitlords are doing.
yikes

Papa

Banned
Not a good look. Is this the hill you want to die on? Look's like we've got another milkshake duck. Womp womp.

Haha perfect. I’ve noticed that a drive by “yikes” is a favourite of the hand wringers. It’s up there with “disgusting”, “trash”, and “dumpster fire”.

Redneckerz

https://www.resetera.com/threads/has-the-resetera-experiment-worked-so-far.54181/

Quickly locked for "Please do not make threads about cross forum drama".
I literally linked to this 3 posts before, lol ;)

The reasoning is ofcourse highly amusing since the OP was not intenting on cross forum drama, but simply asked the question. Its the other users that shift the tone of the thread to cross forum drama. Ofcourse, it then makes perfect sense to warn the OP, and not the users that actively cause said drama.

Also, which other forum is referred then by the OP if its about cross forum drama? I guess we will never know (Because it isnt in the OP's question.)

Other juicy stuff that is a-okay (As in: An OP or an user don't get warned for this unlike the above):

"When I was single (5 years ago) I liked to get extremely filthy on Saturdays. I would get up and didn't brush my teeth. I didn't wipe my butt. I would cut the grass and get all sweaty."
''I just told my polish immigrant parents in law that if they ever again vote for the AfD like they did in the last election, they will only ever see their grandchild with my supervision.''

For that second post: Again, polticial allegiance does not say everything about someone's character, but this user right here clear buys into that warped impression. Why use your own kid as a black mailing tool to your immigrant parents in law?

Last edited:
I'd say that's a bridge too far. People say a lot of stupid shit on there, including needlessly blatant bigoted comments.
Hey, not all of us are bad. Most of us just have offensive senses of humor and like to be edgy. Sure, there are some more extreme Holocaust denial types on Voat, but we also have guys like the BCTs own Gordon Shumway/BrotherLoverCaps.

Grinchy

Banned
Haha perfect. I’ve noticed that a drive by “yikes” is a favourite of the hand wringers. It’s up there with “disgusting”, “trash”, and “dumpster fire”.
Not to mention some of the really dumb things like making a full sentence out of "Period." and "Full stop." and "End of." Also when people think that putting a period after every word puts emphasis on it like "Every. Fucking. Time."

SmokyDave

Hey, not all of us are bad. Most of us just have offensive senses of humor and like to be edgy. Sure, there are some more extreme Holocaust denial types on Voat, but we also have guys like the BCTs own Gordon Shumway/BrotherLoverCaps.
In an ideal world, this place would be like neither Reset nor Voat. Whilst I agree there is some decent humour on VOAT from time to time, there are also some proper nutters.

It can be hard to effectively articulate a point that goes against current social justice wisdom, and it’s really fucking hard to do it when others ‘on your side’ fling out slurs left and right. It makes it so easy for people to ignore your opinions and just point at the performing seal doing basic racist tricks.

I like what I’ve seen of ‘18 GAF so far. It’s not up it’s own hypocritical arse like Reset, and it’s not full of angsty teens throwing out YouTube comments. I hope this place manages to find a decent balance where you can honestly speak your mind, and let others speak theirs.

Redneckerz

I'd say that's a bridge too far. People say a lot of stupid shit on there, including needlessly blatant bigoted comments.
Not all VOATers have questionable opinions, but my general impression of VOAT is that its more extreme than other places.

In an ideal world, this place would be like neither Reset nor Voat. Whilst I agree there is some decent humour on VOAT from time to time, there are also some proper nutters.

It can be hard to effectively articulate a point that goes against current social justice wisdom, and it’s really fucking hard to do it when others ‘on your side’ fling out slurs left and right. It makes it so easy for people to ignore your opinions and just point at the performing seal doing basic racist tricks.

I like what I’ve seen of ‘18 GAF so far. It’s not up it’s own hypocritical arse like Reset, and it’s not full of angsty teens throwing out YouTube comments. I hope this place manages to find a decent balance where you can honestly speak your mind, and let others speak theirs.
Agreed. I fully believe it should be possible to address issues or share observations on ERA - For instance, showcasing how former mods consistently get banned but never permed and rake up more infractions than most or how certain little helpers can pile up more warnings and bans than your average Joe. Mentioning this should not be with the intent of pissing on someone, but to highlight a more broader view - Namely that some users get a lot of leeway by The Names.

dolabla

Never fails to make me chuckle. These imbeciles have no idea what fascism is.

Okay, guy, then why aren't you. Why are you posting on era?

On the bright side, at least the idiots out themselves so we know who they are. That's the awesome thing about free speech :D

As someone who has actually heard the real horror stories from someone (my grandmother) who actually lived through real fascism (Nazi Germany), these people are such a joke. But I'm sure they know more than people who actually lived through it.

The shit that is currently going down in the new Arenanet thread is unreal. It's amazing how many people are willing to throw rational thinking out of the window for extreme ideology.

Ogbert

The shit that is currently going down in the new Arenanet thread is unreal. It's amazing how many people are willing to throw rational thinking out of the window for extreme ideology.

It's genuinely astonishing.

One of the other frightful things about that forum is how there's a small gaggle of users that are desperate to be raised to the status of moderator, so constantly start threads that are desperate to show off their glorious, pristine progressive credentials, only to dogpile any poor sap that has the temerity to disagree with them.

Maybe I'm a churchmouse trying to speak up during a Metal concert, but I try to abide by the idea that if you're not going to gain anything by reading a bunch of hateful posts, then don't bother. It brings you down yet doesn't really provide you any tool or insight to help you get out of it.

I sympathize with members in this thread who wish to "vent" about what has happened and about the state of NeoGAF's splintered community. But we know they're too far-gone. Why dwell on it?

I dunno. I'm not trying to preach, just sharing my perspective.

prag16

Banned
It's genuinely astonishing.

Yeah I always think I've seen it all, but then it always gets ratcheted up another notch or two. That thread, and to some extent the Henry Cavill thread right now, are among the most ridiculous 'discussions' I've ever seen.

One of the other frightful things about that forum is how there's a small gaggle of users that are desperate to be raised to the status of moderator, so constantly start threads that are desperate to show off their glorious, pristine progressive credentials, only to dogpile any poor sap that has the temerity to disagree with them.

I could swear I'd heard somewhere at some point that the hydrophilic attack user is actually a reddit or even /v/ troll account. Could be wrong though. But it makes some degree of sense since they have a long history of seeming too absurd to be a real person. But that "too absurd to be a real person" category over there seems to be growing. Quickly.

...And god damn. Check out this ban. https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...2-writers-read-op.54662/page-28#post-10292412

Permanent ban for a post that actually seems pretty factually correct based on what I've read on this so far. This is up there in terms of the most inexplicable bans I've ever seen. PERMANENT at that.

Last edited:
I could swear I'd heard somewhere at some point that the hydrophilic attack user is actually a reddit or even /v/ troll account. Could be wrong though. But it makes some degree of sense since they have a long history of seeming too absurd to be a real person. But that "too absurd to be a real person" category over there seems to be growing. Quickly.

That guy used to make meme/parody posts on GAF a lot. So yeah, there's a good chance he is trolling. Era has been infiltrated by a lot of trolls because it's very easy to do.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yeah I always think I've seen it all, but then it always gets ratcheted up another notch or two. That thread, and to some extent the Henry Cavill thread right now, are among the most ridiculous 'discussions' I've ever seen.

...And god damn. Check out this ban. https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...2-writers-read-op.54662/page-28#post-10292412

Permanent ban for a post that actually seems pretty factually correct based on what I've read on this so far. This is up there in terms of the most inexplicable bans I've ever seen. PERMANENT at that.

A perma ban for that comment? Wow...

Redneckerz

As someone who has actually heard the real horror stories from someone (my grandmother) who actually lived through real fascism (Nazi Germany), these people are such a joke. But I'm sure they know more than people who actually lived through it.
They don't really care about those stories, as i reported earlier. To them, a Trump supporter is a nazi, a transphobe, a bigot, a clown, Jerry Springer in monkey suit and Evilore in a Jerry Springer suit in a monkey suit.

There is just no winning with (some of) them. The imbalance is complete when you have people getting permed for ''being in the junior phase'' (A new toy from the poor excuses toolbox by The Names) and others getting on multiple warnings and bans (Jun 20th, 2 week ban), and even the occasional namechange still does not (July 10th, 1 month ban) net you a perm because you are a former mod.

Or, how about consistently baiting people with ''bark bark bark'' and that makes the rather ironic phrase: ''Because they aren't deserving of a civil discourse. A forum that values marginalized members would have banned several of the users in this thread months ago.'', when asked why this user is trolling people.

But don't worry, she explains here why she does this and she even got a brief (false) ban for the bait, so its all good. Just don't question why this user does not get flagged or you get very casually baited by a Little Helper, or banned yourself.

I mean, that bark comment already gets mocked too even there, that's how oddly it is and how it does not get ''actioned''. Then again, ''ERA has always done a pretty damn good job to keep things clean and respectful.'' aka lets ignore the trove of (nuanced) evidence against this kind of thing.

At this point in time, its reaching parody levels of moderation. You can't just swing a ball with one eye closed and then say that you are as good as Roger Federer. That kind of is an air castle the entirety of Mario 64 and Super Mario 1,2 and 3 combined. Yet that is what The Names and their Little Helpers try to construct, with clueless users supporting this kind of thing or even suggesting to increase the size of said air castle (Read: Even stricter moderation).

Maybe I'm a churchmouse trying to speak up during a Metal concert, but I try to abide by the idea that if you're not going to gain anything by reading a bunch of hateful posts, then don't bother. It brings you down yet doesn't really provide you any tool or insight to help you get out of it.

I sympathize with members in this thread who wish to "vent" about what has happened and about the state of NeoGAF's splintered community. But we know they're too far-gone. Why dwell on it?

I dunno. I'm not trying to preach, just sharing my perspective.
Usually my long rants form small stories, history lessons, i reckon, that highlight those posts that deserve to be highlighted for their inane behavior. Its not so much dwelling, but more to (inconsistently, but nuance) those aspects that you just do not want to have on a forum in action. It serves as a time-to-time reminder, why a little empathy and understanding is always the better option to pick than debating/moderating/commenting with suspicion, fear, and signs of paranoia on the horizon.

And this only happens because a small group of people (The Names) essentially came together like a Transformer to become their own flavor of OldGAF Bishoptl.

A perma ban for that comment? Wow...
At this point that Arenanet thread is just left open as a herding thread so the staff can eventually close it and cull those people that need to be actioned. Not some serial baiters, ofcourse, not The little helpers, they have provided their bosses with enough new material to write on the banlist that they can stay. This sounds rather extreme but as the many highlights prove, it really is that terrible.

They don't really care about those stories, as i reported earlier. To them, a Trump supporter is a nazi, a transphobe, a bigot, a clown, Jerry Springer in monkey suit and Evilore in a Jerry Springer suit in a monkey suit.

There is just no winning with (some of) them. The imbalance is complete when you have people getting permed for ''being in the junior phase'' (A new toy from the poor excuses toolbox by The Names) and others getting on multiple warnings and bans (Jun 20th, 2 week ban), and even the occasional namechange still does not (July 10th, 1 month ban) net you a perm because you are a former mod.

Or, how about consistently baiting people with ''bark bark bark'' and that makes the rather ironic phrase: ''Because they aren't deserving of a civil discourse. A forum that values marginalized members would have banned several of the users in this thread months ago.'', when asked why this user is trolling people.

But don't worry, she explains here why she does this and she even got a brief (false) ban for the bait, so its all good. Just don't question why this user does not get flagged or you get very casually baited by a Little Helper, or banned yourself.

I mean, that bark comment already gets mocked too even there, that's how oddly it is and how it does not get ''actioned''. Then again, ''ERA has always done a pretty damn good job to keep things clean and respectful.'' aka lets ignore the trove of (nuanced) evidence against this kind of thing.

At this point in time, its reaching parody levels of moderation. You can't just swing a ball with one eye closed and then say that you are as good as Roger Federer. That kind of is an air castle the entirety of Mario 64 and Super Mario 1,2 and 3 combined. Yet that is what The Names and their Little Helpers try to construct, with clueless users supporting this kind of thing or even suggesting to increase the size of said air castle (Read: Even stricter moderation).

Usually my long rants form small stories, history lessons, i reckon, that highlight those posts that deserve to be highlighted for their inane behavior. Its not so much dwelling, but more to (inconsistently, but nuance) those aspects that you just do not want to have on a forum in action. It serves as a time-to-time reminder, why a little empathy and understanding is always the better option to pick than debating/moderating/commenting with suspicion, fear, and signs of paranoia on the horizon.

And this only happens because a small group of people (The Names) essentially came together like a Transformer to become their own flavor of OldGAF Bishoptl.

At this point that Arenanet thread is just left open as a herding thread so the staff can eventually close it and cull those people that need to be actioned. Not some serial baiters, ofcourse, not The little helpers, they have provided their bosses with enough new material to write on the banlist that they can stay. This sounds rather extreme but as the many highlights prove, it really is that terrible.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you post because you'd like to help others avoid the same behaviors.

I can totally understand that. I think that's admirable. I'm more concerned with people who get outraged by what they read over there and then blast out a hot take. I mean, it's just not healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom