• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officers pepper-spraying 15-year-old girl following bicycle accident with vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

darscot

I don't know how you guys live with this shit. That is my daughter I end up in jail for sure, it would be almost worth it. Cops are fuckign useless in the US.

No she got peppered sprayed a good amount of time after she got into the car, after she repeatedly got asked to not block the door. And lets not talk about her behavior for the other 6 or so minutes.

Very difficult woman.
No.

It's pepper spray. She'll live. Would you rather they forced her into the car? He sprayed her, and she complied. Everyone came out unscathed.
They already had her in the car and they sprayed her. Did you even watch the video?
If there is property damage or an injury. She wasn't charged with that though so I doubt there was.
You can't just leave the scene after something like that. If there WERE property damage you can't just let a person involved with the incident ride off.
Again, she wasn't charged with fleeing the scene.
No shit, they stopped her from fleeing the scene.

Dude Abides

Banned
http://marylandcriminallaws.com/hit-and-run-lawyer.html#ixzz4L1jiuhJS

http://marylandcriminallaws.com/hit-and-run-lawyer.html

Its a crime...and the looks of it a big issue in Maryland. Just doing several google searches.

They were interviewing the parties to figure out if there was property damage. Hence why the cop told one of the firemen to get her info while he went to get the other dude's.

She shouldn't have been pepper sprayed, but she also wasn't free to leave. They were actively investigating the accident when she wanted to leave.

Also, that's not what the cop said when he detained her.

Not really?

Is Jay walking something that needs to have police backup, handcuffs and pepper spray involved?

They could have gotten her information from someone else and just let her go away on her bike and talk to her later in front of her parents.

Instead we get this shit which is like the video of the black kids at the pool party, completely unnecessary escalation.

Some people have this idea that police have to use some kind of force for minor crimes like these where all it takes is getting basic information and finding the person to tell them of the law they broke.

That's assuming she committed a crime which I don't think she did.

Krejlooc

Banned
No she got peppered sprayed a good amount of time after she got into the car, after she repeatedly got asked to not block the door. And lets not talk about her behavior for the other 6 or so minutes.

Very difficult woman.

"She's no angel" angle? She is 15, you can restrain a 15 year old without pepper spraying her. If she's in the backseat of a cop car and you need her around for a while longer, just close the fucking door. What's she going to do?

Because she didn't flee the scene, because they wouldn't allow her to. She WAS, however, ticketed in the accident, for "failure to obey a traffic device." Hence why she wasn't free to leave in the first place.

Some people have this idea that police have to use some kind of force for minor crimes like these where all it takes is getting basic information and finding the person to tell them of the law they broke.

That's assuming she committed a crime which I don't think she did.

Which is exactly what they tried to do before she refused to comply.

If there is property damage or an injury. She wasn't charged with that though so I doubt there was.
And they need to investigate before it can be determined that there's been sufficient damage. They can't charge someone before assessing the situation. Think this through.

okita

http://marylandcriminallaws.com/hit-and-run-lawyer.html#ixzz4L1jiuhJS

http://marylandcriminallaws.com/hit-and-run-lawyer.html

Its a crime...and the looks of it a big issue in Maryland. Just doing several google searches.

"A hit and run lawyer in Maryland can tell you that every driver involved in an accident involving property damage, injury, or death is required by law to remain at the scene until he or she has complied with the obligations stipulated"

Was there any damage of property? Because injury doesn't seem to be the case

And they need to investigate before it can be determined that there's been sufficient damage. They can't charge someone before assessing the situation. Think this through.
Seriously, what does Dude expect them to do?

"Go on hon, we will check to see if you damaged this car and we'll come find you if there is anything the driver will need to take care of."
"A hit and run lawyer in Maryland can tell you that every driver involved in an accident involving property damage, injury, or death is required by law to remain at the scene until he or she has complied with the obligations stipulated"

Was there any damage of property? Because injury doesn't seem to be the case
Again, you don't know automatically if there is any damage and you can't just let someone involved run off and find them later after you figure that out. It's like you completely stopped reading after the part you bolded.

Infinite

who gives a fuck about all that though? They had no business fucking pepper spraying someone child like that especially over some shit like this. FOH

Krejlooc

Banned
who gives a fuck about all that though? They had no business fucking pepper spraying someone child like that especially over some shit like this. FOH

The reason the guy is explaining why she had to stay is because there is a guy in this topic saying that she was free to go. Absolutely nobody is ok with her being pepper sprayed.

Infinite

The reason the guy is explaining why she had to stay is because there is a guy in this topic saying that she was free to go. Absolutely nobody is ok with her being pepper sprayed.

Isn't that dude saying that a lawyer?

edit: someone brought it up

The fight shouldn't be about staying at the scene. It should be about the 4 fucking babies that don't know how to handle a child. Are they even trained to deescalate a situation like this? Instead of trying to give her a few minutes to process what's going on and calm down, they keep antagonizing her about her parents. Fuck off for a few minutes.

Holy shit. He sprays her through the window after they get her inside the car. Jesus christ. And the fucking comments on Twitter... holy fuck. I want off this planet.

Hazmat

Holy shit. He sprays her through the window after they get her inside the car. Jesus christ. And the fucking comments on Twitter... holy fuck. I want off this planet.

I mean, he shouldn't have sprayed her, but he did it to get her to stop blocking the door closing with her feet which they had been instructing her to not do. It was to get her to stop doing that, which is a substantial overuse of force, but it wasn't just to hurt her.

Yep, but as always there's little point in arguing with Internet Perry Masons who think cops can lawfully arrest you for not talking to them.
Sure, I guess just ignore the link of Maryland crime laws given that says that the party is obligated to stay at the scene while the damage is assessed.

Maximo

Power crazed racist pieces of shit, situation could have been dealt with easily but its more "fun" to take your fucked up mentally out on children.

bender

What time is it?
Pepper Spraying a hysterical/irrational child doesn't seem like the best course of action. She was of no physical threat to them at the time. Call someone who has experience with children or call the police officer she requested.

Guess there wasn't enough room to write:

"15 Year Sage of the Six Paths attacks patriotic American men who pepper spray to contain her infinite rage"

I mean, he shouldn't have sprayed her, but he did it to get her to stop blocking the door closing with her feet which they had been instructing her to not do. It was to get her to stop doing that, which is a substantial overuse of force, but it wasn't just to hurt her.
Sure, I guess that is the reason he did it. Its still fucking bullshit.

darscot

I can't even imagine calling the cops for this. You never going to get anything out of this but headache. Fighting with an insurance company or trying to get a kid on a bike to pay, fuck that. So long as she is not hurt I think its my lucky fucking day. How bad could it be beyond a small dent and a scratch. She is unhurt I probably give her all the cash I have on me and call it even.

Zoolader

"Crashing a bike into the side of somebodies car in no business for the police to get involved with."

LOL what the hell gaf?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Krejlooc

Banned
I can't even imagine calling the cops for this. You never going to get anything out of this but headache. Fighting with an insurance company or trying to get a kid on a bike to pay, fuck that. So long as she is not hurt I think its my lucky fucking day. How bad could it be beyond a small dent and a scratch. She is unhurt I probably give her all the cash I have on me and call it even.

She was ticketed for the accident, why would you give her all the cash on you when she was at fault?

Maximus.

The pepper spraying was unnecessary, but damn that girl was not cooperating and resisting the whole time. People saying it's just a kid, it's hard to deal with a human who is resisting without hurting them, that's why so many people get involved. Sure if you break an arm or punch them a few times they may respond, but up until the pepper spray, the cops were trying to get her to cooperate and attempted to diffuse the situation without excessive force.

Video would've been way worse if first thing they did was spray her, but honestly they gave her how many chances to cooperate?

Furyous

She probably didn't want the cops talking to her parents cause she was afraid the cops would murder them.

... Yeah, then there's ^^ this.

How would this play out with if this was short Abigail or Megan with glasses? Would they have pepper sprayed her? Would they have forcefully kept her there? Would they have chastised her parents for not being there?

darscot

She was ticketed for the accident, why would you give her all the cash on you when she was at fault?

Because hitting a child with a car I don't give a fuck who is at fault. I'm glad she isn't fucking dead. This kid is ok, go get yourself a new bike and we both walk away smiling.

people calling what happened here atrocious and such really do a disservice to the movement to hold police accountable in actual atrocious events. yes, the pepper spray was too much, but it was a non-lethal means of getting compliance.

i'm with the general gaf consensus on 99% of these situations as you can see if someone wants to snoop my post history, but being 15 years old does not give you a free pass to attempt to walk away (ride away) when you're being questioned and/or detained, fight with all of your power while being detained, and punch/kick/thrash at police while they are actually trying to not hurt you in the process. i mean we're talking 15, not 9. this is not the "no angel" bullshit or anything of the sort, it's common sense.

i'm sure i might be dogpiled but whatever. and i'm not saying comply or die, but you don't need to have the pendulum swing all the way to the other side to "do whatever you want and get mad when police respond" from "listen or get shot." both extremes are unsafe, unnecessary, and unrealistic.

okita

Seriously, what does Dude expect them to do?

"Go on hon, we will check to see if you damaged this car and we'll come find you if there is anything the driver will need to take care of."

Again, you don't know automatically if there is any damage and you can't just let someone involved run off and find them later after you figure that out. It's like you completely stopped reading after the part you bolded.

chill out it's just a question. if you don't know the answer i don't even know why you are quoting me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom