• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 1up Yours GDC Week Thread of Resistance Hatin', Babbling Vagabonds

Kuroyume

Banned
Lol@Garnett cracking up at the stuff he's saying...

Four weeks ago no one noticed but I did hahahaha have my hahahah shirt half tucked in! hahahahawahahahaha and the other ahahaha half not ahahahaha ahahahah ::crickets in the room::

phfresno

Crusade said:
Yeah I didn't like Bryan ganging up on him too, he'll find his groove soon though. I think he has been a little too much at odds with everyone else since he came on though and he's obviously not talking about stuff he agrees upon because he's quiet for really long periods
Sadly, I can see Shawn getting into these kind of podcasts "disagreements" many more times... It could be good podcasting, or just annoying podcasting.

I would have to disagree with Shawn's argument. I think you can do good narrative in video games with or without cut scenes. What matters more his the environment and the history in the games universe. I think that's whats important. If you have this game and you just throw in a bunch of lazy, flashy cut scenes with no substance (which happens a lot in this industry) then its crap. You could also have brilliant cut scenes in a game that doesn't have a universe thats appealing or rich, and thats also bad. What works is a game with a great universe/environment that you play the actually game in, AND THEN when a cut scene happens it works in the game's universe and makes the experience better for the player.

Mar_ said:
Great show and enjoyed every second.

I'm not sure anyone actually understood Shawn's point. From what I understood, he's basically saying because video games are such a new medium, the methods in which the story is being delivered is somewhat immature. Borrowing from other media such as movies.

Such as his example of the first movies being a camera sitting in front of a stage play. Why would you watch a movie like that if you could just go see a stage play? Instead movies have matured and change the camera perspective constantly in order to manipulate the story being given to the viewer. In this way you could say, why would you watch a cut scene? Why not just go and watch a movie? When the industry matures they will have found ways to keep the player in control while still being given the story as it is required. Many games already do this of course, but it's at such an early stage that it's debatable if it's any better than just using a cut scene anyway.

I can understand why no one really caught on to Shawn's point. It's tough to articulate that argument on the spot, let alone this post I have written here (it's taken me 15 minutes in editing and writing just to get the point across myself).

I think they all understood this. The problem is I don't think you can tell the sort of stories that developers want to tell when the language of games is defined by player interaction. Maybe developers should be trying to tell different stories. The stories usually told in games are completely outside of meaningful interaction. In game there's no way to tell the story of Uncharted, for example, when characters can't talk to each other because the language of a shooter doesn't allow for a talk option. Already games are, in a gross generalisation, limited to story types that revolve around violence, and the further constraint of keeping the narrative only to the internal vocabulary is an extra problem that perhaps is too hard to overcome for some.

I think there's still room for both. I like traditional stories augmenting the game and keeping me compelled, like a movie I unlock by completing a small challenge. It's going to take a true visionary to find the types of compelling experiences that can be portrayed in the way that Shawn seems to want, until then I'm happy with what I can get.

Otherwise, great show, both guests were highly intelligent and brought interesting discussion.

Esperado

HK-47 said:
2i1nul4.gif

That's awesome.

sakuragi

Banned
I think the reason why Shawn is championing non cut scenes narrative is probably due to that fact that not many games do this and the few games that do it do a VERY good job at it. He listed Half life, Ico and Shadow of the colossus as examples of this. Its true that those games are very unique, one of a kind, a breath of fresh air that are different from the usual stuff we are used to. However, if the tables were turned the other way around, and many games used in game narrative instead of cutscenes then people would be indifferent to the former method of story telling. Imagine if the market is flooded with games like shadow of the Colossus and Ico clones ( and most of them suck at it) then suddenly a game like MGS games along and blew people away with its cinematic story telling?

The case did happen when Final Fantasy 7 was first introduced to the market and those CG cutscenes was so good, unique, and leaps and bounds ahead of anything people had ever seen that it blew people away instantly at that time. And then all the clones started copying it (some very badly) until it wasn't as special at it used to be.

I'm sure once games starts to adopt both methods equally, people wont even be having this discussion. But its wrong to assume one is superior to another.

Xater

Oh poor Shawn at the end trying to get out of the internet fallout. :lol

Shawn I still love you dude even though I am a BIG MGS fan. I can accept you opinion and I am with I think Shane as he said there is room for both styles of storytelling. At least I can appreciate both and I think it's fantastic that games as a medium is so versatile.

Oh and I know Amy Henning is reading GAF from the Full Moon Show so to her: Good howing from you too and continue to give us great storys. I am still ad there will probably never be an continueation of Legacy of Kain. :(

Johnkers

I totally do exactly what Amy was saying, when I'm "locked" in a real-time scripted FPS like HL2 and I'm put into a "storytelling" locked room, I tend to just jump around, play around with the physics, try and shoot the allied NPCs, walk around the NPCs to hear their voices go around me with my 5.1 speakers, anything except for really focus on what they are trying to show me.

It's not like I don't pay any attention, but in situations like that I really don't see how a cutscene and an interactive locked room that plays out the same way but allowing you to walk around and essentially break the illusion differ so much that someone can instantly lose interest when a cutscene begins.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Cool podcast.

Amy is cool, Lorne is awesome, great podcast. Here's a thing Shawn, i totally think that when you go with a First person perspective you should never leave that perspective, but in a 3rd person perspective it's totally fine to use non interactive cut scenes.

For example, what happens if you want to show characters that aren't in the same room as you? That's right you have to use a cut scene. And until the 3d camera can act on it's own and use picture in picture on the fly, you will never be able to achieve the same effect, from a dramatic perspective, as you would in a non interactive cinematic cut scene.

And Shane is right, we've evolved greatly, and let's not bring it down to just one way, one thing this medium has is that it can use more than one way to tell events to the players.

So we have to accept that and not try to convince people that you gotta have a standard like you have in movies and books, i mean what can you do with a book but show words? Let's not wish the same for videogames when they can shape themselfs freely.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I was impressed with Lorne's ability not to come off as a whiny kid complaining about why his games didn't sell like he did in the past couple of Edge interviews I can recall. It was a great, inciteful interview from both guests with some genuinely interesting points raised.

I'm becoming a big fan of 1upYours, a really great podcast.

Danielsan

Darunia said:
I know it's not. But didn't MS announce they had stopped expanding the BC? So if that's true the Originals service would be the only way to still see this game.
That's the thing though. Only games that are already BC can become downloadable xbox originals.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Danielsan said:
That's the thing though. Only games that are already BC can become downloadable xbox originals.

Yeah I know... but wouldn't it be possible that they make it bc and get it up on the service? Or is it now confirmed that if a title isn't BC up until now, it'll never be an Original? If so that sucks major balls. Chances are slim of it ever turning up, but really it's the one xbox 1 game I want to play more than anything else. I didn't own the first xbox so that's tough luck for me.

Danielsan

Darunia said:
Yeah I know... but wouldn't it be possible that they make it bc and get it up on the service? Chances are slim though, but really it's the one xbox 1 game I want to play more than anything else. I didn't own the first xbox so that's tough luck for me.
A man can dream. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

bud

that was a really good podcast.

traveler said:
And one last thing- I dunno if Shane reads here or not, but I'm curious as to what moment most touched him in MGS3. If he is anything like me, it was the moment where you have to kill the boss yourself. Between that and the other powerful moment in the series for me, (the moment where you can't kill Grey Fox, but are given control to be able to in MGS1) I find it interesting that the series held up as the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in games draws its most emotional scenes not from its signature feature, but from player-controlled storytelling akin to moments in the HL series. (I've brought this up before, but never really seen it discussed.)

killing the boss in mgs3 didn't do that much for me. the main reason for that is that the boss--even though she was a great character--had awful va. i can understand what they were trying to do with it, trying to make her sound like that, but i doubt she was supposed to sound so dull and, i dunno, flat. i just didn't really care about the boss that much.

the part where you had to--but can't--kill grey fox actually did much more for me--i didn't want grey fox to die. and even when you press the o-button, you can hear snake saying, ''no, i can't do it,'' while grey's being squished against a wall. that was pretty awesome, but what it made even better was that they were both friends, and--yeah, this is very important to me--his va was excellent. i cared about him.

and i'm talking more about the va here, than the actual cutscenes--but va is a pretty big thing for me if we're talking about ''caring'' and ''being touched by'' etc.

acevans2

I love Shawn's opinions most of the time, but I just think he's dead wrong about Metal Gear and narrative in games in general.

Half-Life is the one game that I can think of that has exceptional narrative without ANY cutscenes, and even it doesn't move me in the same way that Metal Gear Solid 3 does. I'm in the same boat as Amy in that during an important Half-Life 2 scene, I feel like an idiot if I just stand there and look at it, and I feel like a bigger idiot if I'm strafing around trying to get a nice camera angle of the facial expressions and emotions being displayed through the other characters.

I also laughed when he asked who they felt more for: The Boss, Yorda, or Alex Vance. I knew he wanted them to say Alex, but when my character, the guy that I'm controlling, has no personality and has never once displayed any affection for her, it's hard for me to feel any different. Even without cutscenes, if they gave Gordon a voice then I could see caring about the universe more, but as it stands running around staring at people as an emotionless mute doesn't move me much at all.

And maybe it's because I'm stuck in my ways with movie-like storytelling through cutscenes, but even on this Shawn seems like he has double standards. Breaking the fourth wall in MGS2 was OK because it happened during the Codec sequence? So... emulating radio drama storytelling is fine, but emulating movie storytelling is trite?

shifty100

Banned
I would disagree that shawn is too intelligent for this podcast, I think this podcast needs shawn and his different opinions and intelligent debate.

No one is ever going to agree 100 percent with what any person says, but you take their point of view onboard and respect it for what it is.

And Shawn don't worry about the fallout, say what you think and stick by it.

I know I respect your opinion all the more because you don't flip flop on these issues just because others disagree.

Excellent podcast, Amy is a very intelligent lady and seems on top of her game and Lorne is always funny and makes some excellent points.

Good job.

nib95

Banned
I totally disagree with Shawn on this. And I appreciate the point Amy made. Cut scenes fore us to follow a certain story, or focus on specific emotions and actions, as if to fully realise the character(s) we're watching. When you give full control to a player, sometimes they can drift or look away, using that control and totally miss narrative points of importance. Be it emotions in facial expressions, actions from different angles etc. Take the "Would you kindly" revelation in Bioshock. Were it not a cut-scene, the wrong movement or angle if it were in-game could have totally ruined the atmosphere and suspense of the scene.

Another example, Aries in FFVII being stabbed for instance. Can you imagine that being done in-game as opposed to a cut-scene? It wouldn't have had nearly as much force. You would have basically only seen the back of her as Sephiroth jumped down and jabbed her. You may not have even caught it, or Sephiroth, his face etc depending on the speed at which you moved or the angle at which you were watching. Cut-scenes while not always the best option, are still essential to convey certain narrative elements imo.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
nib95 said:
I totally disagree with Shawn on this. And I appreciate the point Amy made. Cut scenes fore us to follow a certain story, or focus on specific emotions and actions, as if to fully realise the character(s) we're watching. When you give full control to a player, sometimes they can drift or look away, using that control and totally miss narrative points of importance. Be it emotions in facial expressions, actions from different angles etc. Take the "Would you kindly" revelation in Bioshock. Were it not a cut-scene, the wrong movement or angle if it were in-game could have totally ruined the atmosphere and suspense of the scene.

Another example, Aries in FFVII being stabbed for instance. Can you imagine that being done in-game as opposed to a cut-scene? It wouldn't have had nearly as much force. You would have basically only seen the back of her as Sephiroth jumped down and jabbed her. You may not have even caught it, or Sephiroth, his face etc depending on the speed at which you moved or the angle at which you were watching. Cut-scenes while not always the best option, are still essential to convey certain narrative elements imo.
To me, these examples reflect a failure on the part of the game designers at the conceptual stage. They're not writing for the medium; they're grafting a story onto a game, or vice versa. That's why we get all of the awkward exposition. That why we see the incongruities even in Half-Life 2 or SotC. Hennig's HL example highlights a problem with Valve's execution, not with in-game storytelling itself. It's going to take awhile for that sort of storytelling to feel as natural as it should in games, but it's going to take even longer if developers spend all their time avoiding it by making prettier cutscenes. Those just address the symptoms, rather than the illness.

watkinzez

It's interesting that Lost Odyssey was used in that discussion the way it was, because I'd argue that in terms of technique it falls closer toward the ICO end of the spectrum. It's the minimalist presentation within those Thousand Year Dreams that allow room for interpretation, and ultimately gave me a far stronger emotional attachment than the rest of the game (though disc 3 rocks, come back to me on that).

Amy rules. Naughty Dog rules. Uncharted rules.

Cutscenes in games like Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid > Half-Life first-person narration.

There is room in the industry for both and I'm glad that there isn't a stuck standard. Devs should use what is best for their game and what they excel at as a team.

Ceb

Posted by dark10x in another thread:

dark10x said:
I find that some of the most impressive introductions are those which directly involve the player, but still remain rather scripted. Bioshock did a fantastic job of this. The introduction allowed limited player movement and full camera control, but presented a linear series of events that set the stage for what was to come. It was brilliantly handled. The Half-Life series also handles this very well in that the introductions are usually devoid of actual combat and instead focus on bringing the player into the world.

I mostly agree with this, yet the first thing I did when I got control of the protagonist was to swim closer to the plane wreckage. I could muffled screams coming from the plane... the only problem is that the lines of the other survivors repeated pretty shortly, and even with the inferno going on, the screams kept going for, what, 10 minutes (which was when I left for the tower).

The result = immersion killed total. So there definitely are pros and cons to both storytelling methods.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amy's best weapon lies in HL2 itself, IMO: With Alyx being so totally animated and so completely realistic and human, all you can do as Gordon Freeman is hold a gun in her face.

FartOfWar

Banned
dfyb said:
Amy Hennig basically mirrored my argument against Shawn's "cutscenes are bad" argument. as much as i like half-life, i don't necessarily think every game needs to tell a story like half-life does. it's silly to say cutscenes are not a valid tool for games to deliver story. games are not totally unlike film -- games are basically capable of absorbing the qualities of film, so it's only natural for games to borrow things like cutscenes.

and Shawn still doesn't seem to get that metal gear solid's delivery (dialog, script, action, etc) are arguably postmodern in nature. it is intentional. it is ridiculous, it is sometimes silly, but it's not by accident. metal gear solid games are masterpieces, just like half-life games -- they simply go about it differently (in terms of delivery but also in terms of how the dialog and script is written).

edit:

supporting argument:
launch.jpg

;)

I just want to tell you (and remind Shane as well) that you're throwing the term postmodern at someone who did a grad program in humanities. This isn't necessarily a good thing. But it sure as hell means that postmodern isn't the magic word for me that it is for you. Maybe Glanton can jump in here for me as I have to go at the moment. : )

And I don't think every game needs to tell a story in the way that Half-Life does either. Not sure where this is coming from.

stotch

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Amy's best weapon lies in HL2 itself, IMO: With Alyx being so totally animated and so completely realistic and human, all you can do as Gordon Freeman is hold a gun in her face.

It's an FPS. If they made it a dating sim - wait a minute, there's a lot of interaction in half life 2. What are you comparing it too? (joking - Shawn even said that he didn't want no cutscenes, just that the genre find it's own language)

acevans2

FartOfWar said:
And I don't think every game needs to tell a story in the way that Half-Life does either. Not sure where this is coming from.
Well that's really the only game I can remember you using as an example of good story telling without cutscenes. Can you give more examples?

Big-E

FartOfWar said:
I just want to tell you (and remind Shane as well) that you're throwing the term postmodern at someone who did a grad program in humanities. This isn't necessarily a good thing. But it sure as hell means that postmodern isn't the magic word for me that it is for you. Maybe Glanton can jump in here for me as I have to go at the moment. : )

I agree that people are using the term too loosely in regard to Metal Gear but I do feel that the games do contain some aspects of post modernism such as the notion of hyperreality. Metal Gear does really nothing that hasn't been brought up before but it still uses some basic post modern theory in a few instances and to a relatively minor effect.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
stotch said:
It's an FPS. If they made it a dating sim - wait a minute, there's a lot of interaction in half life 2. What are you comparing it too? (joking - Shawn even said that he didn't want no cutscenes, just that the genre find it's own language)

Say, Uncharted, which is what Amy was arguing. In that game, you have several moments of interaction between two characters (or more characters) and your character is right in the thick of it. In Half Life--and perhaps Valve just hasn't figured this out yet-- you're really not able to interact in any human way with the environment or the characters. Sure, you can pick up things and watch them float in the air, but you can't hug Alyx. You can't give her a pat on the back, or a high five. You can't gesture to save
Eli
at the end of HL2 Ep2...you don't do anything. You just stand there with a gun.

And that's what she was saying-- whether or not it be technology or that we just haven't found how to do it yet, cutscenes and direct linear narrative offer some tools that games like Half Life 2 simply don't have available to them. Now some people would argue that Gordon's inability to move is not necessarily a liability, but I highly doubt that Amy would take that position.

Ceb

HL2 - while being mostly awesome - is also one of the worst examples of the "camera on a stick" feeling that FPSs should've done away with by now. The Darkness had its faults, but it did a much, much better job at conveying the feeling of you actually controlling a human being.

stotch

Banned
acevans2 said:
Well that's really the only game I can remember you using as an example of good story telling without cutscenes. Can you give more examples?

ICO? Sort of nudging on the analogue stick even in the stressfull scenes. Bits of the narrative unfolds as you nudge or push the controller ... it's ... yeah ...

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
Great episode, I lmao when I heard Shawn call MGS a "Pretentious GI Joe cartoon" :lol

Rolf NB

Did Shawn wear a "Interrupt me! Talk over me! Ignore me!"-t-shirt in the recording room or what? Let the man finish his sentences!

Naeblish

Wow, great podcast. Both Amy and Lorne were awesome, some very interesting topic discussions, allthough i found the cutscene/storytelling hard to follow, especially Shawn's part. But english isn't my native language so that probably has some to do with it.

Ceb said:
HL2 - while being mostly awesome - is also one of the worst examples of the "camera on a stick" feeling that FPSs should've done away with by now. The Darkness had its faults, but it did a much, much better job at conveying the feeling of you actually controlling a human being.
Yup, exactly the example i wanted to make. Like hanging out in his girlfriend apartment, the option to sit with her on a couch and stuff like that made me feel much closer to that character than running circle's around Alex.

stotch said:
ICO? Sort of nudging on the analogue stick even in the stressfull scenes. Bits of the narrative unfolds as you nudge or push the controller ... it's ... yeah ...
But ICO does use cutscenes, granted that you get your emotional bond in the gameplay but it still takes control out of your hands when it wants to tell you something.

Oh and Shawn, did you finish ICO? What did you think of it?

tha_con

Banned
The only problem with narration in 1st person perspective entirely (i.e HL2) is that it leaves very little room for additional perspective, and you only get one 'side' of the story so to speak.

Sometimes it's nice to just pull back and see a little bit more, and actually experience everything from multiple perspectives. I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing both in and out, and was actually something I found was mixed quite well in The Darkness. It wasn't an amazing game, but it has a great share of story telling through both 1st person perspective, and 3rd person, and it works out wonderfully when needed to add some extra perspective. Something just can't be 'captured' through 1st person.

ThePeter

THANK GOD. Now this thread is fostering great discussion and i was right when i said the trolling and retarded horshit mental midgetry was coming to an end.
And i'd like to thank everyone involved in the past month's episodes for creating the finest audio program of all time.

traveler

Not Wario
tha_con said:
The only problem with narration in 1st person perspective entirely (i.e HL2) is that it leaves very little room for additional perspective, and you only get one 'side' of the story so to speak.
Sometimes it's nice to just pull back and see a little bit more, and actually experience everything from multiple perspectives. I don't think there's anything wrong with mixing both in and out, and was actually something I found was mixed quite well in The Darkness. It wasn't an amazing game, but it has a great share of story telling through both 1st person perspective, and 3rd person, and it works out wonderfully when needed to add some extra perspective. Something just can't be 'captured' through 1st person.

Take a look at CoD4. Now, I'm not saying it has one of the best stories ever in gaming, but it does, actually, manage to stick to the HL route of storytelling while still giving you multiple perspectives.

Top Bottom