• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread - Scott Proctor on to get some posts in

Status
Not open for further replies.
al east
red sox
yankees
rays
orioles
blue jays

AL Central
Twins
Tigers
White Sox
Royals
Indians

AL West
A's
Rangers
Angels
Mariners

nl east
phillies
marlins
mets
braves
nationals

NL Central
Reds
Cards
Brewers
Cubs
Pirates
Astros

NL West
Giants
Rockies
Padres
Dodgers
D-Backs

Playoffs
alds red sox-A's yankees-Twins
NLDS Phillies-Rockies Giants-Reds
alcs A's-yankees
NLCS Phils-Giants

Magnitude 10.0 Earthquake

WS A's-Giants

Sanjuro

Also, make your predictions serious if you are posting them in this thread. Archiving for epic fail/win.

EDIT: More specifically

AL Champ/NL Champ - MVPs/Cy Young/Gold GLOLove.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Windu said:
http://i.imgur.com/HYv3B.jpg/IMG]

my predictions will be coming later (i thought i had more time!)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/W9IUz.gif
You forgot a few, let me help (yeah, it's a sloppy job but whatever):

OoIGk.jpg

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Also, make your predictions serious if you are posting them in this thread. Archiving for epic fail/win.

EDIT: More specifically

AL Champ/NL Champ - MVPs/Cy Young/Gold GLOLove.
Yeah, I'll write up a post like this again for my blog and just post the highlights on here. Linking to my predictions from last year for people to laugh at me.

bean breath said:
al east
red sox
yankees
rays
orioles
blue jays

AL Central
Twins
Tigers
White Sox
Royals
Indians

AL West
A's
Rangers
Angels
Mariners

nl east
phillies
marlins
mets
braves
nationals

NL Central
Reds
Cards
Brewers
Cubs
Pirates
Astros

NL West
Giants
Rockies
Padres
Dodgers
D-Backs

Playoffs
alds red sox-A's yankees-Twins
NLDS Phillies-Rockies Giants-Reds
alcs A's-yankees
NLCS Phils-Giants

Magnitude 10.0 Earthquake

WS A's-Giants
If this truly happened I would seriously have a heart attack. Too bad we won't see it happen. Also, fuck Jeff Passan.

I can't believe the New York Times published this garbage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/sports/baseball/27score.html?_r=1

Anson Dorrance has coached the North Carolina women’s soccer team to 21 national titles since 1979, and he is been more than happy to reveal his secret to success. In his 1996 book, “Training Soccer Champions,” Dorrance described what he calls the jewel of his program: the competitive caldron. U.N.C. soccer players compete in every aspect of the sport, including the weight room, sprints and drills. Coaches then look for the players with a knack for being on the winning side.

The consistent winner is not always the fastest runner or the hardest shot. It’s the person who can read the subtleties of the game and knows when certain actions can make a difference. It’s the person who involves and inspires teammates, creating emotion or a sense of mission. Coaches have a special name for such a player: starter.

Major league baseball is not college soccer. And baseball players cannot compete in practice the way the Tar Heels do. So as the season begins this week, the time might be right to ask, How much value do baseball managers place on the team’s record when a given player is in the lineup?

David Eckstein is one player whose contribution far exceeded his talent. A walk-on in college and a 19th-round draft pick, he still managed to make the postseason in 4 of his 10 major league seasons, played on two championship teams and was the most valuable player of the 2006 World Series.

On the other end of the spectrum one might find Carlos Beltran, a four-time All-Star with the Mets. While he recovered from knee surgery last year, they won 48 of their first 88 games, and were only four games out of the National League East lead at the All-Star break. Then Beltran rejoined the team. The Mets went 31-43 (.419) the rest of the way and finished 18 games out of first place.

Their decline cannot be attributed solely to Beltran, but the Mets did not improve with him in the lineup.

On the other hand, the Mets went 42-36 (.538) with Ruben Tejada, the team’s highest winning percentage among position players with extended time on the field. Ike Davis had the best winning percentage at .503 (74-73); only David Wright was on the field for more Mets victories (75).

Baseball insiders cite factors like cohesion, rhythm and percentages to defend the idea of sticking with tried-and-true players. They argue, with some justification, that baseball involves failure and that players need time to work through it.

The Yankees’ Derek Jeter, who has won five championships, is coming off the worst offensive season of his 16-year career. Now the team is debating whether he or Brett Gardner should bat leadoff. No matter where Gardner bats, he should play; the Yankees were 93-57 (.620) with him in the lineup, and 2-10 without him. They seemed to get along just fine (21-4) without Alex Rodriguez. In the games Jeter played, the Yankees were 92-65.

Should teams be slaves to such statistics? No, but they should notice. And they might be surprised.

Last season Cincinnati won the National League Central at 91-71 (.562). But in games Joey Votto, the league M.V.P., played, the Reds went 83-67 (.553). Six regular teammates finished with a higher percentage than Votto’s: Scott Rolen, .586; Jay Bruce, .574; Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera and Jonny Gomes, .561; and Drew Stubbs, 560.

Similarly, Texas was 71-62 (.534) with Josh Hamilton, the American League M.V.P., in the lineup. He finished behind several fellow position players: Ian Kinsler (.592), Elvis Andrus (.568), David Murphy (.565) and Michael Young (.561).

Carlos Pena, who had a miserable 2010 season for Tampa Bay, is a remarkable example. He batted .196 and had 158 strikeouts, but the Rays were 88-56 (.611) with him in the lineup, the best among their regular players. They were 22 games above .500 with Pena, two games under without him. The Chicago Cubs signed Pena for one year and $10 million.

St. Louis traded shortstop Brendan Ryan to Seattle in the off-season after his career-worst .223 batting average. The Cardinals were 17 games over .500 with Ryan, seven games under without him. In his place is Ryan Theriot, whose Cubs went 43-53 with him in the lineup last year, 32-34 without him.

Sometimes teams will find a player with an X-factor that goes way beyond talent. Leo Durocher once said that second baseman Eddie Stanky could not hit, field or run — all he could do was win. But Stanky was not helpless. He retired in 1953 with a .410 career on-base percentage, among the best in history.

On-base percentage was not valued in the 1940s and ’50s, and that is the point. Certain players have always done things that keep them on the winning side, even if they are not always recognized.

As for Jeter, perhaps the more pressing question is not whether he should be leading off, but whether he should still be playing shortstop. Where, after all, would he land in North Carolina’s competitive caldron?

Kuiper- "And now we'll go down to the dugout and visit with Barry Zito. Hey Barry, love the 'stache! What do you think Mike?"

Krukow- "I like it! are you going to grow it out like Brian Wilson?"

Zito- "I don't know, I don't think I have that kind of puberty left in me."

Hahaha

American League:
East: Boston Red Sox
West: Texas Rangers
Central: Minnesota Twins
Wild Card: Oakland As

National League:
East: Philadelphia Phillies
West: San Francisco Giants
Central: Milwaukee Brewers
Wild Card: New York Mets

Playoffs:
Red Sox over As
Twins over Texas
Red Sox over Twins
Phillies over Mets
Giants over Brewers
Phillies over Giants (dat pitching)
RED SOX world champs

AwardsL:
MVP: Justin Morneau, Carlos Gonzalez
Cy Young: Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee
Rookies of the Year: Jeremy Hellickson, Brandon Belt
Managers of the Year: Buck Showalter, Ron Ronicke

Maxim726X

Hey I was on the other thread (talking about my expensive draft earlier) and realized that it was retired... So I hope you don't mind, going to post what happened here:

Actually everyone was really chill. Just some older guys who have been doing this for 20 years. A lot of guys who like to gamble, too. Believe it or not some had absolutely no idea what they were doing, or even what teams some pretty well known players are on.

Honestly I think the team I drafted is pretty good:

1b) Adrian Gonzalez
2b) Kelly Johnson
3b) David Wright
C) Mike Napoli
SS) Starlin Castro
OF) Matt Holiday, Alex Rios, Nick Swisher
Util) Adam Dunn, Adam LaRoche, Coco Crisp, Erik Aybar,Ty Wigginton

SP) Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Clay Bucholz, Jeremy Hellickson, Jair Jurrjens, Jaime Garcia
RP) John Axford, Chris Sale, Daniel Bard

Bench: J.P. Aracibia, Jim Thome, Chris Young, Ryan Theriot, John Lackey, Octavio Dotel

Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

Built the team with power and RBI in mind, with the hopes that runs scored would come. SBs are gonna be pretty low, I think.

Maxim726X

Dmncnby2k9 said:
American League:
East: Boston Red Sox
West: Texas Rangers
Central: Minnesota Twins
Wild Card: Oakland As

National League:
East: Philadelphia Phillies
West: San Francisco Giants
Central: Milwaukee Brewers
Wild Card: New York Mets

Playoffs:
Red Sox over As
Twins over Texas
Red Sox over Twins
Phillies over Mets
Giants over Brewers
Phillies over Giants (dat pitching)
RED SOX world champs

AwardsL:
MVP: Justin Morneau, Carlos Gonzalez
Cy Young: Felix Hernandez, Cliff Lee
Rookies of the Year: Jeremy Hellickson, Brandon Belt
Managers of the Year: Buck Showalter, Ron Ronicke

I agree with most of that- Only I don't see the Mets beating out the braves for a WC spot (coming from a rabid Met fan). And I have a hard time accepting the Athletics making the post-season, too.

jman2050

Baseball's back ALRIGHT

The Magnificent Yankees of Grand Ole New York - 162-0, CC wins 36 games and is awarded the Cy Young twice for his efforts. A-Rod hits 71 home runs. Joba finishes with a 4.50 ERA. World Series champs

The Dastardly Grumpy Ol Self-Absorbed Dingbats of Beantown - Gonzalez is injured for the year, Crawford fails to outproduce Brett Gardner, Beckett continues to implode, and Manny hits seventeen home runs against them during the season. Last place.
2nd place

Jangocube's Fetish - Better than last year, still not quite enough to crack that nut called Last Place

The Alex Anthopjpowhatevers of Canada - May or may not make some noise, fans should just be grateful Vernon is gone. 4th place.

FREE SYLAR - A force to be reckoned with despite losing half their roster. Price continues to dominate and Jennings breaks out. Continue to play in that shithole stadium in that shithole town I always hated visiting when I lived in Florida. Bullpen scares me though. 3rd place.

That Chicago Team Eminem rooted for. Where is he anyhow? - Don't know shit about what they did this offseason, Peavy looks to be DOA I guess? 3rd place

Zack Grienke's old flame - Not this year. Ask again in 2012 then we'll start talking. 4th place

Less threatening than anime catgirls - Miguel Cabrera learns to hold his liquor and competes for MVP again. Verlander is Verlander. Still won't be enough but they'll be better than people think I reckon. 2nd place.

The Yankees' Bitches - Win the division, face the Yankees in the first round, promptly get swept. So business as usual. Kevin Butler signed in August to help with the stretch run. AL Central winners.

Charlie Sheen didn't implode as swiftly as these guy - There's always Major League. Last place by a mile.

Little Bitch's Mound - I like what Beane's been doing to keep his team above water but for god's sake, can they please spend some money already? This is getting tiring. 3rd place.

#6#17org - Transition year for them, absolutely nothing of interesting except further confirmation that they should have just taken Montero
damn yoooou Jack ZZZZ
. Last place.

That California team everyone hates. - Will finish 2nd by virtue of their division being a piece of shit. Five years later Mr Morales will remember to tell us his name is Kandrys, not Kendrys.

Those No-Good Cockblockers - Oh we're coming for you. That's right. No Cliff Lee to save your ass this time, so be ready for pain. AL West winners.

MEET THE MEST. BEAT THE MEST - I actually don't think they're going to have a bad year. They won't make the playoffs but they should easily finish close to or over .500. Not sure how their future looks though. 3rd place.

OOOOOOOOOH OOOH OAOAOOOOOOOOH. OOOOOOOOOH OHH OAOAOOOOOOOOOH - Great team, definitely a legit pick for the NL East or at least the wildcard. Looking forward to visiting Turner again, great great stadium. 2nd place.

Trade AI set to "Easy" - This team are the luckiest sons of bitches ever, no? Fortunately, it looks like their offense may end up dooming them in the long run despite the godly pitching staff. So basically, they're the last 90's Braves. NL East winners.

Steven Strasburg's Elbow - Please stay in one place please please pleaaaaase. Last place.

My high school band concert had better attendance numbers - What exactly am I supposed to say here? Does anyone care? 4th place.

Zack Greinke's new whore - Ehhhhh they're going to be pretty good but I just can't see them beating the Reds. Greinke is going to absolutely annihilate the NL Central though. 2nd place

How do you spell Cinccinnati again? - Pujols should have won the MVP last season. That aside, Votto, Chapman and co will ensure another division title. NL Central winners.

BAC 0.35 - Hahahahaha you guys are still stuck with Tony Larussa hahahahahaha. Actually, I would've picked this team as a legit contender to Cincy had it not been for Wainwright's injury. A shame otherwise. 3rd place.

:jakncoke - :jakncoke Last place :jakncoke

103 Years and still counting - Nuff said. 5th place.

This team still exists, right? - The only way these guys could get me to pay attention to them is if they returned to those 70's/80's uniforms. That'd be pretty awesome. 4th place.

Snake Rattle and Roll! - Completely uninteresting team gets completely uninteresting analysis. Last place.

There's too much magic inside - But not enough to repeat. Ah who am I kidding, they're probably winning this division and once they're in well... it's Lincecum for goodness' sake! NL West winners.

That California team everyone hates. No, the other one. - I have no idea what's going on with this team. Nomar, anyone here wanna give me a hand? Tentative 3rd place.

I could finish with a 4.50 ERA in this park - Come on assholes, seriously? Casey Kelly and a bunch of stiffs? I hope your team crashes and burns in the worst possible way. 4th place.

Demolish the Humidor - It's not as fun when this park's offense is only ridiculous rather than ludicrous. Either way, I have the Giants winning the division but if any team can challenge them, it's this one. 2nd place.

Maxim726X said:
I agree with most of that- Only I don't see the Mets beating out the braves for a WC spot (coming from a rabid Met fan). And I have a hard time accepting the Athletics making the post-season, too.

I'm a big time Mets fan myself, so maybe its a reach lol. And AL wild card should be heavily contested. I like the As pitching but, White Sox, Rays, Yanks, Tigers could all be in the hunt until the end.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
*Doesn't see his name under Yankees-AGE*

feelsbadman.rar

Oh well, here's to a great season!

a-rod-wtf.jpg

He is always watching.

rc213

jman2050 said:
That California team everyone hates. No, the other one. - I have no idea what's going on with this team. Nomar, anyone here wanna give me a hand? Tentative 3rd place.

You crazy, Nobody hates Los Doyers. You must have confused them with that NorCal junk, The future Anaheim Giants.

We still have Kershaw and Ethier. Maybe Kemp too if he isn't still Rihanna whipped.

rc213 said:
You crazy, Nobody hates Los Doyers. You must have confused them with that NorCal junk, The future Anaheim Giants.

We still have Kershaw and Ethier. Maybe Kemp too if he isn't still Rihanna whipped.
Everyone Hates L.A. and the Dodgers. Everyone.

rc213

bean breath said:
Everyone Hates L.A. and the Dodgers. Everyone.

You just mad cause Anacrime stole your NorCal cowbells. Everyone is jealous of L.A., Nobody in their right mind hates the Doyers cause they haven't done shit since 88.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
NL East

Phillies
Braves

Marlins
Mets
Nationals

NL Central

Reds
Brewers
Cardinals
Cubs
Pirates
Astros

NL West

Rockies
Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Diamondbacks

Each of these division has two neck and neck teams, Phillies/Braves, Reds/Brewers and Rockies/Giants. For now i am picking the Phillies, Reds, Rockies and Braves as the Playoff teams. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was completely different. It seems like it will be a close race in each division this year. Other possible playoff teams could be the Marlins, Cardinals, and Dodgers. And then if everything goes right, the Cubs and Mets.

AL East

Red Sox
Yankees

Rays
Jays
Orioles

AL Central

Twins
White Sox
Tigers
Indians
Royals

AL West

Rangers
Atheletics
Angels
Mariners

The AL East still has the three best teams in the American League. Even with the Yankees rotation problems i think they can still compete with the Rays for the wild card. The Central has two very close teams, the twins and white sox. And then there are the Rangers who are a little bit better than the A's but i could see a scenario where the A's take the division. Anyway, i'd say Red Sox win the East, Rays and Yanks fight it out for the WC with the Yanks winning. The Twins and White Sox will probaby either be another tie or be just a 1 game lead. And the rangers i could see winning the division by about 2 or 3 games.

Anyway, the only clear favorite i think is the Red Sox in either league. Every other playoff spot is up in the air.

edit:

NL CY - Josh Johnson
NL MVP - Albert Pujols

AL CY - Francisco Liriano
AL MVP - Kevin Youkilis

Got high hopes for the Crew, we just need to get rid of this injury bug.

Goddamn, there are a lot of Yanks fans on this board, I fear NeoGAF's collective value has been lowered as a result. And fuck da Cubs.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Would love to be added to the Astros group.

Here are my picks:
NL East

Phillies
Braves
Mets
Marlins
Nationals

NL Central

Cardinals
Reds
Brewers
Astros
Cubs
Pirates

NL West

Giants
Rockies
Padres
Dodgers
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox
Rays
Yankees
Orioles
Jays

AL Central

White Sox
Twins
Tigers
Royals
Indians

AL West

Rangers
Athletics
Mariners
Angels

Playoffs:
Red Sox over Twins
Rangers over White Sox
Red Sox over Rangers
Phillies over Rockies
Giants over Cardinals
Phillies over Giants
Phillies world champs

NL CY - Roy Halladay
NL MVP - Albert Pujols

AL CY - Felix Hernandez
AL MVP - Adrian Gonzalez

jman2050 said:
Baseball's back ALRIGHT

The Magnificent Yankees of Grand Ole New York - 162-0, CC wins 36 games and is awarded the Cy Young twice for his efforts. A-Rod hits 71 home runs. Joba finishes with a 4.50 ERA. World Series champs

The Yankees' Bitches - Win the division, face the Yankees in the first round, promptly get swept. So business as usual. Kevin Butler signed in August to help with the stretch run. AL Central winners.

Wait a second...

Sharp said:
I posted this in the old thread. Still not sure what the fuck is wrong with him, but I'll take it if he pitches around like he did last year (though I don't expect him to).

Sorry I missed your post but damn that shit is crazy.

Chris R

Seriously considering picking up MLB.TV and an iPad... But a majority of the Mariners games are on tv while I'm not at work... making it kinda pointless for most of the games. Anyone else running MLB.TV on the iPad now? Take a screenshot and post it so I can get all crazy and make some impulse decisions!

Eric Hall

Can I be added as the only Colorado fan?

Anyway, prediction time:

AL East:
Red Sox
Yankees

Rays
Blue Jays
Orioles

AL West:
Rangers
Athletics
Angels
Mariners

AL Central:
White Sox
Twins
Tigers
Indians
Royals

MVP: Adrian Gonzalez
Cy Young: King Felix

NL East:
Phillies
Braves
Mets
Marlins
Nats

NL West:
Giants
Rockies

Padres
Dodgers
D-Backs

NL Central:
Brewers
Cardinals
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Pirates

NL MVP: Tulo
NL Cy Young: Cliff Lee

Red Sox over White Sox (4 games)
Rangers over Yankees (5 games)
Phillies over Rockies (4 games)
Brewers over Giants (5 games)
Red Sox over Rangers (5 games)
Phillies over Brewers (6 games)
Red Sox over Phillies (5 games)

Paches

Pineda for the Mariners had another fantastic outing and Luke French sucks eggs, so I think all the Seattle fans will get to see our new up and comer! Now I can look forward to perhaps winning games where Felix isn't pitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom