• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Bog said:
Anyone else get VC Buyer's Remorse approximately 10 minutes after purchase?

For the first time last week with Kirby and now with Streets of Rage.

Wow is the first Streets of Rage so far below the sequels, it is so basic. As a kid I mostly played the sequels, I didn't remember the first one being this simple, I might as well be playing Double Dragon.

Well I want the whole collection regardless.

Glass Joe said:
not to sound like a complainer, but Nintendo's release strategy confuses me. First they release a bunch of shooters at once, and now a bunch of platformers. It seems mixing genres on a weekly basis would be more effective than having a game like New Adventure Island pitted against Donkey Kong Country and the newly released Super Mario World.
Totally. I didn't buy anything during that shooter spree, but I'm still playing Super Mario World and Kirby's Adventure.

Dave Long said:
It's like a punch in the gut every time someone says they were let down when they bought Gunstar Heroes. Those of you who posted this need to turn in your hardcore gamer cards. You're out of the club. WTF?!
I would, but they already confiscated it when I bought Nintendogs.

JCX

Bog said:
Anyone else get VC Buyer's Remorse approximately 10 minutes after purchase?

Only with columns, but I mostly bought it out of nostalgia and to have a multiplayer VC game

Dave Long

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I would, but they already confiscated it when I bought Nintendogs.

That was a mistake. I got mine back a couple weeks later when the HGS (Hardcore Gamer Society) figured out that change was in the wind and DS wasn't just a fad.

Hatin' on Gunstar Heroes though... they take the card, cut it into tiny strips, crush those strips into a ball and then burn it all until it turns to powder under a blowtorch... as well they should, heretics!

Luigison said:
I got buyer's remorse with Gunstar Heroes and Kid Icarus. Gunstar Heroes just isn't my type of game, and Kid Icarus is insanely hard. I'll go back to Kid Icarus and when/if I get past the first level I might feel different about it.

Keep trying on KI, I had huge buyers remose for that game, but once I got past a few levels I fell in love with it, its SOOO addicting. Its a truly rewarding game, and you can tell your actually getting better at it, instead of the game becoming easier.

It took me FOREVER to get past a few levels, and when I didnt i started enjoying it better, then i accidnetly lost my save so I had to start all over.

I was amazed how much I improved, i blasted through the first world and a half in no time. This is truely a practice makes perfect game.

Ranger X

Shard said:
USA I would imagine since all other territores have had DKC for ages now.

sweeeet. But since i have the original i will try to resist and only buy New Adventure Island. I hope it's up here in America.

Normally when i leave for work in the morning everything is there but this week nothing was uploaded.

Dave Long said:
It's like a punch in the gut every time someone says they were let down when they bought Gunstar Heroes. Those of you who posted this need to turn in your hardcore gamer cards. You're out of the club. WTF?!

Even worse for those who also want DKC.

Then again, to each their own.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
WTF is wrong with wanting DKC? It's one of my fondest videogame memories as a child.

Eh. It's decent, but has nothing on Gunstar Heroes, which is what I was comparing it to, since both had been mentioned within the past several posts.

I have never played GH, though I intend to download it and I'm sure it's a great game, but putting down DKC in favor of making it look good is not cool in my book. :p

DMczaf

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
WTF is wrong with wanting DKC? It's one of my fondest videogame memories as a child.

Same here. I still remember staying up all night with my cousin to beat DKC the week it came out.

There is nothing wrong with DKC, it's an excellent platformer. Hell I prefer it to games like Yoshi's island.

Maybe it's because the DKC games have such amazing soundtracks..hmm..

Bloodwake

Donkey Kong Country. Oh, how I loved that game.

That was back in the day whenever my dad actually knew more about good video games than I did. I was six and I wanted games like Wheel of Fortune, but Father knew best, and I got Donkey Kong Country. Hell yeah.

Too bad the 64 follow up was a disappointing Banjo-Kazooie clone collectathon.

What I've played so far and my thoughts. I've exercised a lot more caution since the new year for better or worse.

Solomon's Key - Worth it - I didn't like it but my friend got such a kick out of it
Super Mario Bros. - Absolutely worth the 5 bucks

Super Star Soldier - Worth it - Haven't played it much but a little shmup here and there is always nice

Gunstar Heroes - Not worth it - Great in 2-player but a bit of a grind in single-player
Sonic the Hedgehog - Worth it - Top-notch platforming and looks beautiful

F-Zero - Not worth it - still a tight racer that holds up well but little replay value
Street Fighter II - Not worth it - Bought it to quench nostalgia but I sucked out most of the value years ago
Super Castlevania IV - Absolutely worth it - Great music, good challenge, good level design

Mario Kart 64 - No opinion - Not a big fan to begin with but I know it would make for good multiplayer later

Total
$66

What I'm waiting on: Adventure of Link, Super Mario Kart, RPGs, more Castlevania, Mega Man, DKC2, Punch-Out

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lavpa Jasai said:
Keep trying on KI, I had huge buyers remose for that game, but once I got past a few levels I fell in love with it, its SOOO addicting. Its a truly rewarding game, and you can tell your actually getting better at it, instead of the game becoming easier.

It took me FOREVER to get past a few levels, and when I didnt i started enjoying it better, then i accidnetly lost my save so I had to start all over.

I was amazed how much I improved, i blasted through the first world and a half in no time. This is truely a practice makes perfect game.

QFT, well I wouldn't say I totally "fell in love" with the game but it definitely has its moments. I remember spending a whole lot of tries trying to pass level 1-3 before I learned about "levelling up", but once I learned that and got a better handling on the jumps, I breezed through most of the game. Labyrinth 3-4 was still tricky though, even fully powered-up, and the final stage right now is giving me a bit of trouble. I am personally a big fan of the labyrinth environments, they are pretty big and convoluted, with really eerie music. That was something I never saw in my childhood days, since back then I couldn't be stage 1-2! :p

Bloodwake

Games I've purchased so far:

Bonk's Adventure - 600
Sonic the Hedgehog - 800
The Legend of Zelda - 500
Super Mario Brothers - 500
Gunstar Heroes - 800
Super Castlevania IV - 800
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 800
Kid Icarus - 500
Super Mario World - 800
Contra III: The Alien Wars - 800

Total spent - $69

The only purchase I regret is Bonk's Adventure, so far so good.

meppi

EphemeralDream said:
Gunstar Heroes - Not worth it
F-Zero - Not worth it
kill8lldk9.gif

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
I have never played GH, though I intend to download it and I'm sure it's a great game, but putting down DKC in favor of making it look good is not cool in my book. :p

I didn't do it with that intention. I saw a person or two doing the opposite, replacing the "in favor of" with the "while".

Thing with DKC is that it isn't particularly original, or half as fun as the likes of the Marios. YMMV though.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Must be cool to hate Gunstar Heroes now. I'm out of the loop.
I'm not hating on it and everyone here is exaggerating. I think it's just as ridiculous to say that every hardcore gamer should be in love with this game. Gunstar Heroes has a lot going for it but I couldn't really get into it, at least not in single player. I was at the end of that 5th stage, the city one, so it's not like I didn't give it a try. It was my first time playing it btw.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Must be cool to hate Gunstar Heroes now. I'm out of the loop.

I think it was the GAF hype effect that did it. A lot of people who didn't originally play the game picked it up because of the hype and ended up being disappointed.

EphemeralDream said:
I'm not hating on it and everyone here is exaggerating. I think it's just as ridiculous to say that every hardcore gamer should be in love with this game.

I'm not saying they have to be in love with it but they are at at least required to like it hardcore or not. There are few games in this world that I think do everything right and this game is one of them.

The game is best played on harder difficulties by the way.

Pud

Banned
ninjaurbano said:
If that's true, why there are some audio glitches in the emulation of Mario Kart 64 ? Anyway, I have my reasons to believe that more complex games will not be possible or worth the effort, based on how the emulation works on PC, and games relesead comercially with bad emulation.

But what I can guarantee is that the framerate of any game cant be better than what originally was on a real N64.

MFC16.jpg

basik

streets of rage just kicked my ass in normal mode. blaze dies in 2 or 3 hits from bosses.... got to level 5 or 6 continues ran out... gameover. I see why I used to love this game but now I want the sequals... not enough moves in this one for me.

aparisi2274

You know I was just wondering if anyone thinks we might see DQ1-4 on the VC? I know they have been released on the GBA already, but I missed them, and back in the day I only played DQ1-2.

aparisi2274 said:
You know I was just wondering if anyone thinks we might see DQ1-4 on the VC? I know they have been released on the GBA already, but I missed them, and back in the day I only played DQ1-2.

Entirely possible though I'd prefer the remakes since they're not so dated. Even the easiest monsters in DQ1 can take a while simply because of the paragraphs of text during battles.

Ranger X

Question for Adventure Island - Age:

New Adventure Island on TG-16. Is it a remake of Wonderboy and Adventure Island NES? Is it the same game or does it correspond to another game?

What is your ratio of "new games" (as in, never played before) to rebuying games that you have played before? And to people who try out "new" games, what are people's personal new hidden gems, and why? :)

sammy

Vargas said:
I just bought DKC and I do not remember this game looking this bad.

--- that's what i'm worried about...

the last time i saw this game was on a Micro .... i fear what a huge screen would do to it...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
splattergnome said:
What is your ratio of "new games" (as in, never played before) to rebuying games that you have played before? And to people who try out "new" games, what are people's personal new hidden gems, and why? :)

This is where I fail. I own the cart of every single VC download I've purchased so far. In some cases, more than once. ;p

Hmmm. Actually, I don't remember if I own the original Dungeon Explorer cart. I might not.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
splattergnome said:
You know, most of the games I have on the VC are games I never owned. The only ones I actually own the cart for among the VC games I've bought so far are Link to the Past and Mario 64. I never did actually own Bonk's Adventure, Gunstar Heroes, Kid Icarus, Military Madness, or Super Castlevania IV. And if I add New Adventure Island and Streets of Rage, which I think I will, that will add two more games to the list that I did not previously own.

So I seem to be doing surprisingly well on that front thus far.

Top Bottom