• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the dkc games have aged as poorly as any series i have ever played. the character control feels too heavy, the collision detection doesn't feel right, the pseudo-3d graphics are completely fugly, and the repeat bosses are boring as hell. some of the environments are sort of interesting, but they're completely destroyed by all the problems mentioned above.

save your cash and memories, dkc fans, and buy jungle beat--even if you consider it a gimmick, it's a damn fun and original gimmick, which is more than you can say for the prior entries.

DKC looked very pixelated on my SDTV until I got the RGB cables. Now it looks incredibly lush and vibrant, I was actually floored by the difference.

Jiggy

Dave Long said:
It's like a punch in the gut every time someone says they were let down when they bought Gunstar Heroes. Those of you who posted this need to turn in your hardcore gamer cards. You're out of the club. WTF?!
I'm pretty sure my hardcore gamer card was taken already during one of these five big "revolutions" that I rejected: Mario 64, FFVII, Zelda: OoT, GTA3, and Halo.

Anyway, I wouldn't have been let down by Gunstar Heroes if it was $6, or if you could have a CPU-controlled partner. I think more than anything, as has been mentioned, it was the GAF hype that ruined it for me. I was expecting Chrono Trigger or something, the way people talked about it.

splattergnome said:
What is your ratio of "new games" (as in, never played before) to rebuying games that you have played before? And to people who try out "new" games, what are people's personal new hidden gems, and why? :)
10:4 (5:2, boiled down) in favor of new. Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, and Solomon's Key are the gems of the new batch, while Bonk, Gunstar, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Military Madness, R-Type III, and Ristar are each good but not superb.
I will say one thing about Solomon's Key... Fire 'N' Ice was better and I did play that, so I was kind of biased in SK's favor to begin with. Not sure if that affects anything.

beelzebozo said:
the dkc games have aged as poorly as any series i have ever played. the character control feels too heavy, the collision detection doesn't feel right, the pseudo-3d graphics are completely fugly, and the repeat bosses are boring as hell. some of the environments are sort of interesting, but they're completely destroyed by all the problems mentioned above.

save your cash and memories, dkc fans, and buy jungle beat--even if you consider it a gimmick, it's a damn fun and original gimmick, which is more than you can say for the prior entries.

I guess that you played a different game. Everything you said is really the opposite.

Xellotah

Does anybody in the pal region notice a sudden speed up in the VC games. I swear R-Type is running way quick and even super mario world is running quicker than I remember.

Pud

Banned
Is it just me, or is the music in the TG16 Adventure Island really bad? I mean, sure the game itself is superior to the NES version (nowhere near as good as the 2.5D Gamecube remake from Japan, though) in every way except the god-awful music? I almost want the NES version because of it.

Jammy

Banned
When I played Super Mario World today, I think I had a similar problem to what Christopher had. There was something off with the music/sound. It was very noticeable after I reached the goal at the end of a level and especially when I got a Starman.

Drakken

cartman414 said:
Eh. It's decent, but has nothing on Gunstar Heroes, which is what I was comparing it to, since both had been mentioned within the past several posts.

DKC is worth way more to me than Gunstar Heroes. GH was moderately enjoyable, but it was really short. And once I've played through it a few times, I'm not likely to play it again. One playthrough of DKC, on the other hand, offers a lot more gameplay time. And, there are levels in DKC I'd gladly replay for fun. Plus, it has pretty good music; Gunstar's is just OK.

Anyway, it seems silly to be comparing them, they're very different in style.

EDIT: Just want to add that so far, none of my purchases (all of which were games that I had never played before and wanted to try out due to recommendations) have been worth the money. Solomon's Key was interesting for a bit, but since I got stuck/challenged too much, I haven't felt motivated to play more. GH was enjoyable, like I said, but that's not something I'm going to keep going back to. I wasn't very impressed with Dungeon Explorer, but I didn't put much time into it. That's the only one that might end up being worthwhile, I think, assuming I ever play all the way through it with friends or something.

I really wish Nintendo would let you demo games before buying them. That wouldn't happen, though, because that would result in a lot less purchases once people realize lots of these games don't hold up now.

But, I could totally see DKC being worthwhile. It's a nice-size platformer that's a lot of fun, and it has good music. Plus, there's nostalgia. I own the original SNES game already, but I'd be much more willing to play it on the Wii than plug in the SNES and play it.

So the games I bought that I had owned are:

Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: LTTP
Super Mario Brothers
Super Mario World
Gradius
Donkey Kong Country

The ones I've bought that I never owned (a lot of Genesis games since I never had a Genesis):
Sonic the Hedgehog (although I had beaten it in the past)
Sim City
Streets of Rage
Kid Icarus
Gunstar Heroes
Castlevania IV

So far, I've only regretted Gradius (nostalgia blinders were on for that one) and Sim City... not that Sim City is bad it's just that the fact that I'm playing it and have to slide square by square on a grid when I'm playing it on a Wii with pretty much a free-floating mouse pointer irks me. It may be perfectly emulated from the SNES, but it's just when I'm playing I go "man, this would be so much easier if it actually just USED the damn Wii function." Now a Sim City 4 port on Wii...I'd be all over that. :)

Kobun Heat said:
NEW ADVENTURE ISLAND, BITCHES.

BUY IT

200pxbon1bs8.jpg

BABUUUU!

Ranger X

splattergnome said:
What is your ratio of "new games" (as in, never played before) to rebuying games that you have played before? And to people who try out "new" games, what are people's personal new hidden gems, and why? :)

I bought 6 games and 4 of them i did never own.
I'm there to buy games i don't want to spend premium on the internet or used store. I will also grab some timeless classics to play them in Component Cables.
Super Mario Bros in Component Cables in UNBELIEVABLE. I don't even want to touch my NES cartridge ever again.

MoxManiac

Pud said:
Is it just me, or is the music in the TG16 Adventure Island really bad? I mean, sure the game itself is superior to the NES version (nowhere near as good as the 2.5D Gamecube remake from Japan, though) in every way except the god-awful music? I almost want the NES version because of it.

Well what they really should be putting up is Adventure Island II (NES). That game ****ing owned.

Pud said:
It's not just you, the music is really rough (sad because Super Adventure Island had some of the best SNES music ever). Game is pretty fun though.

Pellham

Banned
i'm getting tired of these side scrollers and beat 'em ups. If they're gonna release some beat 'em ups, why not do the ones that were really good, like double dragon 2 or river city ransom? And I want some freakin' RPGs already.

japanese wii can't come soon enough, tired of this poor western selection.

Damn, took me a few goes to get passed the mine cart level on DKC. :lol I always hated those.

The game certainly looked better in my memories, but I doubt its helping playing on a 40' HD LCD heh.

While games like Super Mario World and Link to the Past look even more gorgeous, others like DKC struggle.

TG16 games look dumb stretched too, they along with a couple of NES ones (Zelda 1) I can not play 16x9 - have to force my TV to go 4x3 which looks silly too but ah well. At least my TV has the option to change the screen size, my old one forced widescreen when in 480p.

Wish Nintendo could change it so the games could be displayed properly without having to adjust the Wii settings first, I gave up doing that after I kept forgetting to change it back when going to play an actual Wii game.

Jammy

Banned
I might as well join the fray and say that every one of my seven games I've downloaded are owned by me for the first time (Bonk, Gunstar, Military Madness, Ice Hockey, SMB, MK64, Mario World). Yes, I missed out on a lot, so the Virtual Console is getting more exciting for me all the time.

We've gotten solid weeks of releases for the past month on the VC. I can't wait until a couple years down the line to see the hundreds of titles available on the service, all with emulation fixes and maybe even an updated look for the channel.

dyls

Pellham said:
i'm getting tired of these side scrollers and beat 'em ups. If they're gonna release some beat 'em ups, why not do the ones that were really good, like double dragon 2 or river city ransom? And I want some freakin' RPGs already.

japanese wii can't come soon enough, tired of this poor western selection.

Wow, I didn't think anyone was still complaining about the VC library. I guess GAF can always surprise you, huh?

Drakken said:
DKC is worth way more to me than Gunstar Heroes. GH was moderately enjoyable, but it was really short. And once I've played through it a few times, I'm not likely to play it again. One playthrough of DKC, on the other hand, offers a lot more gameplay time. And, there are levels in DKC I'd gladly replay for fun. Plus, it has pretty good music; Gunstar's is just OK.

Anyway, it seems silly to be comparing them, they're very different in style.

EDIT: Just want to add that so far, none of my purchases (all of which were games that I had never played before and wanted to try out due to recommendations) have been worth the money. Solomon's Key was interesting for a bit, but since I got stuck/challenged too much, I haven't felt motivated to play more. GH was enjoyable, like I said, but that's not something I'm going to keep going back to. I wasn't very impressed with Dungeon Explorer, but I didn't put much time into it. That's the only one that might end up being worthwhile, I think, assuming I ever play all the way through it with friends or something.

I really wish Nintendo would let you demo games before buying them. That wouldn't happen, though, because that would result in a lot less purchases once people realize lots of these games don't hold up now.

But, I could totally see DKC being worthwhile. It's a nice-size platformer that's a lot of fun, and it has good music. Plus, there's nostalgia. I own the original SNES game already, but I'd be much more willing to play it on the Wii than plug in the SNES and play it.

DKC having more impressive music is a given, being that it was piped from the SNES chip as opposed to the Genesis chip.

And while Gunstar has more levels, they're more varied than those of the DKC levels, and pack more high octane thrills. Ditto on the bosses.

ethelred

dyls said:
Wow, I didn't think anyone was still complaining about the VC library. I guess GAF can always surprise you, huh?

Well, I can kinda see where someone's coming from on that. My favorite genre is RPG. Now, the Genesis and SNES had a ton of great RPGs released in English -- about an even number of quality ones across the two systems. But not a single one is up on the VC right now. So for me, it's pretty annoying to sit around and not be getting any games in this genre. And I can see where someone's coming from when they see a week of a bunch of shooters, a bunch of platformers, a bunch of action games... and week after week goes by and there's still no RPGs. That's not the only genre being ignored right now, either, and yes, it grates when you look at the Japanese VC and there aren't such holes in the library.

However, from a more objective standpoint, I would say that while the US VC is not nearly as good as what's available for Japan right now, it's still a good library. There are a lot of really high quality games, a lot of classic greats... it just needs more work in the variety. There shouldn't be several genres of games still being ignored at this point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
dyls said:

He does however have a valid point, there doesn't seem to be, well, anything of the RPG variety on the western VC.

On that note, I for one want Sega to get around to releasing Shining Force and Shining Force II for the VC.

Maybe next month is RPG month and all we'll get is 4 weeks of RPGs then all the puzzle game fans will come out crying about how its nothing but RPGs and nothing for them and that VC sucks for variety!

In all honestly I just think its cause RPGs take longer to test, they gotta test these things first right? Make sure they work properly on the emulator?

I'm guessing a Phantasy Star or Earthbound can't be far away..... we know Mario RPG is onw for sure so that's one thing to look forward too.

later

I'm playing gunstar with suspended mode -- my brother came in and made the second character. However, now every time someone wants to play along it is the same character.. Can you change the second character at all? It's basically the same as the 1st player, my brother just randomly pushed some buttons...

Dave Long

Banned
I bought Gunstar Heroes on Virtual Console even though I own the cart (and have since the day it came out) just to make sure you guys weren't playing a screwed up version of the game or something. The only thing that's wrong is Red doesn't shout HEY! when he picks up the gems in the first four levels. While that's an admittedly rotten thing for them to leave out, it certainly didn't change how COMPLETELY FRIGGING AWESOME THIS GAME IS!

Seriously... the Dice Palace?! Seven Force?! Seven Force AGAIN IN SPACE!! The "running" boss!?!?!!! GOLDEN SILVER! You're all out of your minds.

Man, DKC is still awesome. Sure, it's a whole lot easier today than it was for me as a 12 year old and the bosses are pathetic, but I still love it. Got past the first two worlds in a breeze and hoping to play a lot more tonight. :D

Ranger X

DMczaf said:
That was my reaction. Wow, component REALLY helped it out.

Actually, all NES and SNES games are awesome like that because the Wii display the original resolution. If you're with an SDTV (and one that doesn't have proscan feature or double the scanlines automatically) you end up with a display that correspond to "240p" and it just kick the original NES and SNES ass.
I never knew my "non-proscan" TV would actually do proscan LOL

Dave Long said:
I bought Gunstar Heroes on Virtual Console even though I own the cart (and have since the day it came out) just to make sure you guys weren't playing a screwed up version of the game or something. The only thing that's wrong is Red doesn't shout HEY! when he picks up the gems in the first four levels. While that's an admittedly rotten thing for them to leave out, it certainly didn't change how COMPLETELY FRIGGING AWESOME THIS GAME IS!

Seriously... the Dice Palace?! Seven Force?! Seven Force AGAIN IN SPACE!! The "running" boss!?!?!!! GOLDEN SILVER! You're all out of your minds.
It's a quality piece of work, for sure. But I've never been big into that entire genre, and Gunstar Heroes didn't change that. I still suck at Contra III, but I'm getting more out of it anyway due to nostalgia.

DMczaf

infiniteloop said:
esrbef1.jpg

esrbmd2.jpg

NES Turtles, and ZAMN!

That better not be the first NES TMNT game.

Carlisle

Oh snaps. I loved those NES Turtles games... please give us Turtles in Time for SNES!

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone here purchased, or know someone who has purchased, every VC release to date?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
if that's true does that give a lot of hope to other old licensed games?

Top Bottom