• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Ristamar

Hm. Wave Race is tempting, but I never even played Blue Storm on the 'Cube which I've heard is the better game of the two, despite some lukewarm reviews.

Ristamar said:
Hm. Wave Race is tempting, but I never even played Blue Storm on the 'Cube which I've heard is the better game of the two, despite some lukewarm reviews.

You heard wrong, very wrong! WRBS doesn`t even deserve to kiss WR64`s feet!

Awesome update! too bad I`ve got so many other games to play though!

Finally, a version of WR64 that I can play without a broken analog stick!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Blue Storm is better but Wave Race 64 is still awesome.

jarrod

Banned
64 destroys Blue Storm, from aesthetic to handling to course design to music... it's the real deal, probably the best 32/64bit AC racer this side of Sega Rally, Daytona CCE, F-Zero X and Rage Racer. I miss the days when we got amazing AAA AC racers from EAD, CTS Team and Team Zero (RIP). :(

loosus

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Blue Storm is better but Wave Race 64 is still awesome.
Don't listen to this guy. He's a crackbaby.

Wave Race 64 ****ing rox. One of the most fun arcade racing games ever.

Blue Storm is a gahdamn shameful mess that should've been aborted the second someone had the bright idea of giving the franchise to a team that had almost no good games on its hand at the time.

Two completely polar-opposite games.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
64 destroys Blue Storm, from aesthetic to handling to course design to music... it's the real deal, probably the best 32/64bit

Disagree. The handling on Blue Storm is much more sophisticated and can be customized. The track design is much more varied and the weather completely gives new faces to the levels. I think Blue Storm is much better in pretty much every department. I happen to love Josh Schwedler soundtracks (Pokemon Puzzle League, Blue Storm, Metroid Prime Hunters).

Wave Race 64 has it's charm but I think you are just doing your usual bit of NST hating mate. Blue Storm has a deeper learning curve but ultimately the control and mechanics are superior.

Similar to Super Mario Sunshine over Super Mario 64. (Just on control mind you)

jarrod

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Disagree. The handling on Blue Storm is much more sophisticated and can be customized. The track design is much more varied and the weather completely gives new faces to the levels. I think Blue Storm is much better in pretty much every department. I happen to love Josh Schwedler soundtracks (Pokemon Puzzle League, Blue Storm, Metroid Prime Hunters).

Wave Race 64 has it's charm but I think you are just doing your usual bit of NST hating mate. Blue Storm has a deeper learning curve but ultimately the control and mechanics are superior.

I dunno, handling was almost *perfect* on WR64 (way better than the steep, stiff BS controls) and the course design was definitely leaps and bounds better.... weather was a nice new variable in BS, but that alone doesn't make up for the frankly boring tracks and scenery. The overall aestehtic too (menu, interface, art/world/character design, etc) was shit compared to EAD's game.

And the "usual NST hating"? Well, it's not like they haven't given us plenty of reasons for it (Crystalis DX, RR64, RRDS). It's more about "usual NST track record" if anything, though they've had a pretty amazing turnaround since the MVDK games and Metroid. I'm sad to see HAMMER shelved too actually. :(

Looks like we might be batting 1.000 in today's Retro Roundup. The world eagerly awaits.

Shame on no Metroid or Mega Man though. If the hypothetical situation of EU getting Super Metroid before NA does indeed occur...Well let's say World War III will be coming sooner than we all thought.

Capndrake

EphemeralDream said:
Looks like we might be batting 1.000 in today's Retro Roundup. The world eagerly awaits.

Shame on no Metroid or Mega Man though. If the hypothetical situation of EU getting Super Metroid before NA does indeed occur...Well let's say World War III will be coming sooner than we all thought.
We've been getting 95% of all games last (Or not at all) for every single generation since the NES. Stop getting upset over ports of old games that we get first.

jgkspsx

At first I thought LOLO was someone saying LOL in a silly way. Glad I was wrong! Now there's an NES game well worth the points.

EphemeralDream said:

There is no need for the situation to escelate(sp?). We are willing to exchange hostages if such a situation should occur. :D

Hairtux

Furoba said:
Oh shit! WaveRace64!

HOLY SHIT! I was just looking at the Shop Channel over the weekend wishing we'd get Wave Race. I played the shit out of that game back in the day.

Anyone get it? How's it looking/playing on the Wii?

jjasper

Shikamaru Ninja said:

Yeah I personally found BS to be better than 64. But I still love both.

Give me Wii Motorsports Nintendo.

Dev1lZ

Banned
Waverace 64 is one of the best Nintendo 64 games, and definitely the BEST racer that ever showed on the 64. Still the bar for Jet-Ski type racing games to this day, it's too bad the sequel was so much of a love it or hate it type of game.(It's responsible for killing the francise, so I guess the majority shares my opinion that Waverace BS was a stinker)

Now Waverace Wii would kick ass in the right hands.

Nintendo get on that, stat.

jjasper said:
Yeah I personally found BS to be better than 64. But I still love both.

Give me Wii Motorsports Nintendo.
That was the ONE game I was looking forward to at E3. Why the hell did Nintendo pull the game?

Shikamaru Ninja said:

I pretty much agree with you. BS had beautiful music and the controls were spot-on. Also, I enjoyed the variety that the weather system brought to the game. WR64 only really bests its sequel in overall aesthetic. And despite NST claiming they reused the same wave physics coding from WR64 I thought the two games approached that aspect differently.

Jiggy

Another week, another absence of Neutopia. But hey, can't entirely complain with Adventures of Lolo there. Never played it and heard it's good. Plus it's HAL, so I automatically trust it.
And how about this Galaga '90...

*Youtube search*

...yeah, I do believe I'm all over that too. :eek: Great week.

gwiz210

Anyone else notice this?
waverace.jpg

loosus

Banned
maynerd said:
I thought these were ROM dumps!? Funny!
Uh, they are.

Either Nintendo (less likely but possible) disassembled the ROM and replaced these textures or actually still has the source code and changed the ROM that way.

jarrod

Banned
Doesn't N64 allow an easy "swap" route for texture sets? Isn't that why we got all those texture mods floating around the scene too... might also explain some VC games like Mario 64 having seemingly higher quality textures.

SickBoy

Wow, I've ignored this thread for a while, click on it today and see Wave Race. That's pure awesome -- don't know if VC can get anything better than that :)

I think that in order to preserve space, at least personally, is to only download games that are hard to find, or that I missed out on, or that I absolutely MUST HAVE even if I had 30,000 copies of it (Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, etc.)

So honestly Wave Race 64, while a great game, probably won't see the light of day on my VC collection.

Ranger X

jarrod said:
Doesn't N64 allow an easy "swap" route for texture sets? Isn't that why we got all those texture mods floating around the scene too... might also explain some VC games like Mario 64 having seemingly higher quality textures.

I'm sure there is no higher quality textures on N64 games. The thing that makes them look better is that they go from 16bit colors to 24bits colors in the VC. It's reduces ALOT of noise and blurryness. Couple with this a full 480i and that's why N64VC looks so better.

Sanjuro

Question. Has Nintendo done or announced anything about changing the screen resolution in VC games on a widescreen monitor?

Retro Roundup 8/06

Adventures of Lolo: Worth It
Galaga '90: Worth It
Wave Race 64: Worth It

In regards to Galaga '90:
Ho hum, a TurboGrafx-16 shooter on Virtual Console. What else is new?

...is what we'd say if we were idiots.
But this is no mere shooter, friends. This is Galaga '90 -- the one sequel to Namco's venerable arcade essential that truly feels worthy of the name.
:lol :lol

jarrod

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Question. Has Nintendo done or announced anything about changing the screen resolution in VC games on a widescreen monitor?
Nope, you just need to do it yourself... annoying but not that surprising.

What I want an update on is Hudson's smeary Turbo emulation... I'm putting a moratorium on any future TG16 purchases until they do something about it. :(

Interesting enough, Wave Race wasn't re-rated by the ESRB before it was put on the VC. There truly is nothing we can use to judge what is coming to the US VC.

LAND STALKER, NOW!

Jiggy

Played 46 minutes of Lolo. Awesome stuff, and I don't even usually like puzzle games that much. Buy it, people. It'll own you and you will like it for every moment.

Now to Galaga...

Top Bottom