• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

Sylar said:
SFA2 SNES :lol Terrible port. One of the only games with Loading on SNES :lol
Oh, man. I only remember playing it for like half an hour, but now you've got me curious. :D I've got to find some videos of this.

Iam Canadian said:
I don't expect Earthbound to come out before we either see an ESRB rating or a release in another territory. Of course, if Nintendo wanted to pull a fast one and release it on Monday, I would naturally be thrilled. :)
It'll be their makeup gift for not releasing Brawl.
...Actually, I kind of expect Earthbound at or around the time when VC gifting gets enabled. I figure NOA wants to finally put the EB fan community to the test and measure their buying power. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, though.

Kirby Super Star for Monday, please. Sakurai Masterpiece, welcome by me. And I'm also worried that if it doesn't come soon, I don't have much hope for it showing up until quite a while after the DS re-release (which I'm not expecting in English until like October 2008, so releasing it now would allow for a decent time gap). At least they wouldn't be competing on the same system like NES Classics Metroid and Zero Mission Metroid were, but still.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
...Actually, I kind of expect Earthbound at or around the time when VC gifting gets enabled. I figure NOA wants to finally put the EB fan community to the test and measure their buying power. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, though.

Actually, you might be on to something. I know that a NoA rep said to the folks at Starmen that high sales of Earthbound on Virtual Console would increase the chances of Mother 3 being localized. Besides, Earthbound is the kind of game that people might not be inclined to spend money on buying, but would be willing to try it as a gift.

Maybe I'll extend an Amir0x-like offer as well... >_>

Jiggy37 said:
Kirby Super Star for Monday, please. Sakurai Masterpiece, welcome by me. And I'm also worried that if it doesn't come soon, I don't have much hope for it showing up until quite a while after the DS re-release (which I'm not expecting in English until like October 2008, so releasing it now would allow for a decent time gap). At least they wouldn't be competing on the same system like NES Classics Metroid and Zero Mission Metroid were, but still.

Very yes. Kirby Super Star is one of my favourite SNES games and has a spot in my top ten of all time. Sakurai's finest hour...until Brawl, anyway. :D

Honestly, Kirby Super Star being on both the VC and DS wouldn't surprise me. Nintendo certainly has no qualms with rereleasing a game as much as they can; Super Mario 64 DS (which is still in print) and the original Super Mario 64 on the VC coexist, after all. And that's not even mentioning the fact that the original Metroid is on the same platform in two separate games. I think that the KSS remake will be sufficiently enhanced to make a VC release viable.

MoxManiac

Jazzem said:
Hmm, Super Street Fighter II...

Should I bother? Bear in mind the following conditions:

A)I am a huge, huuuuuge Street Fighter nut (Only over the past year as well :))
B)I already have Turbo on the VC
C)I don't have a 360 or PS3
D)It's not supposed to be a good port

Do you have a PS2? There's a ton of compliations with the actual arcade versions of the various SF2 games. Really, there's no reason to bother with the SNES versions of SF2 at all.

robot

Sylar said:
What is regarded as "better"? Baseball Stars 2 or Baseball Stars 2010?

I'd say Baseball Stars 2 by a mile.

Super Baseball 2020 is a fun game, but some of the rules kinda suck. Even though things like land mines are fun, it feels a lot less exciting than Baseball Stars 2.

Startropics_box.jpg

OMG FINALLY!!! This is one of the most underrated games on the NES. Should be part of everyones collection. Definately a must download.

MoxManiac said:
Do you have a PS2? There's a ton of compliations with the actual arcade versions of the various SF2 games. Really, there's no reason to bother with the SNES versions of SF2 at all.

I personally preferred the SNES sound chip renditions of the music a bit.

Iam Canadian

Hm? Square-Enix is supporting the VC now?

Might there be hope for Chrono Trigger? It's not like Square seems particularly inclined to do anything with that franchise and it's my second-favourite RPG besides Earthbound...

TJ Spyke

Square Enix has released several games on the Virtual Console (mostly through Taito, which is owned by SE): The Legend of Kage, Elevator Action, and ActRaiser have been released in North America. Plus, Bubble Bobble just got released in Europe last week.

Cheese, I doubt it. If they did, every SNES game on the VC would result in free money for Sony since the SNES itself used a Sony sound chip.

Iam Canadian

Don't keep me in suspense, JSnake. Is the NES game Bubble Bobble?

If I was to guess...Bubble Bobble, Shining Force II, and Dynastic Hero?

JSnake

Iam Canadian said:
Don't keep me in suspense, JSnake. Is the NES game Bubble Bobble?

If I was to guess...Bubble Bobble, Shining Force II, and Dynastic Hero?

No it isn't. It's a space-shooter.

Nope to SF2. Yes to DH.

sfog

Well, then it's likely either Eternal Champions, Crack Down, or ESWAT: City Under Siege, probably Eternal Champions.

Iam Canadian

I've never played Zanac, but I can't resist a good 2D shooter. I think I'll be giving it a try.

I'm not sure if I'll double-dip on Dynastic Hero, considering I haven't even finished the first one yet...

Jiggy

Guess I'll just double dip for The Dynastic Hero this week.

Nuclear Muffin said:
You reckon there's a chance we could see an English translation for THG?
I'm trying not to hope for too many miracles here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Awesome news that StarTropics is coming... at least to Australia, but that surely means its hitting North America too. That one can't arrive too soon.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
Virtual Console was MADE for revivals of all the awesome PC Engine games.

F--- ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T BUY THEM ORIGINALLY. :mad:

Hey, not all of us had the opportunity to play them originally, mademoiselle Dragona. I didn't have a Turbo system until two years ago, and I was no position to get one when I was a high school student and the thing was hypothetically for sale.

Were you old enough to buy PC Engine/Turbo games when they were sold as new? I thought you were younger.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I am going to get $50 of Wiipoints tomorrow. I am getting Sin and Punishment for sure but I am not sure what else to get. I really want StarTropics for it was one of my favorites. How does Tecmo Bowl compare to Tecmo Super Bowl? Can Tecmo Super Bowl even come out for the VC? How are all the NeoGeo games? I think I want to get one of those for sure. Is Kirby Super Star announced yet? How are all the imports? Should I get Breath of Fire 2?

Alpha 2 was on the snes? wow you learn something every time you read gaf :lol

*edit* Apart from that annoying looking freeze after the announcer says "Fight!" it looks pretty good for a snes port, interesting.

somnific

dannybaccala said:
Startropics_box.jpg

OMG FINALLY!!! This is one of the most underrated games on the NES. Should be part of everyones collection. Definately a must download.

that's awesome! however, i wonder if they'll do anything about the
uncle's letter
. could be a problem for people who haven't played it before.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
somnific said:
that's awesome! however, i wonder if they'll do anything about the
uncle's letter
. could be a problem for people who haven't played it before.

They will have to put it the code when you download the game. I bought my copy used and I just kept on walking around trying to find the code until I just got fed up and started guessing it. 747 was within the first 10 guesses for my pops works at Boeing.

Jiggy

AlternativeUlster said:
I am going to get $50 of Wiipoints tomorrow. I am getting Sin and Punishment for sure but I am not sure what else to get. I really want StarTropics for it was one of my favorites. How does Tecmo Bowl compare to Tecmo Super Bowl? Can Tecmo Super Bowl even come out for the VC? How are all the NeoGeo games? I think I want to get one of those for sure. Is Kirby Super Star announced yet? How are all the imports? Should I get Breath of Fire 2?
StarTropics isn't out yet; don't know on the Tecmo Bowl games; general consensus seems to be to wait for better Neo Geo games in the future; Kirby Super Star isn't announced yet, which is unfortunate since it's so incredible; the only imports other than S&P are Lost Levels (good) and a Picross game (I think people tend to like this); skip Breath of Fire 2 unless RPGs are far and away your favorite genre and you'll play just about anything.

Hmm.
I think I'll make some kind of comprehensive recommendation list of stuff that I've bought later, so that I can link to it all the time when people ask. :D

Archie said:
As Cheesemeister pointed out Pokemon Snap is coming out December 10. Now we need to have Shining Force II come out the same day and it will be the best VC update all year.
Even if that happened, I think I'd still have to give a slight nod to May 21st with Donkey Kong Country 2, Streets of Rage 2, and Blazing Lazers.

Not interested in Zanac so that makes it another lousy week. Ys 1 & 2 needs to hit before Christmas or I'm carving my heart out and boiling it with carrots and potatoes.

Jiggy

Man God said:
Pokemon Snap next week (as in, not this upcoming Monday but next) will be my second N64 game.
It'll be my fourth.

While I'm thinking about it...

You know, I didn't previously complain about the limited space problem back when Star Fox 64 was my only N64 VC game straight through July 13th. I figured, eh, doesn't matter, I'll just delete stuff when the time comes--I figured, eh, not like I'd replay something as long as A Link to the Past or Beyond Oasis on a whim.
Even from July 14th to September 30th, when it was only Star Fox 64 and F-Zero X, I didn't see the issue. Then came Sin and Punishment on October 1st, then Gate of Thunder on October 15th. And now on the horizon there's The Dynastic Hero for December 3rd and Pokemon Snap on December 10th.

Now there's a readily-visible problem even for me. Especially so because, except for The Dynastic Hero, all of these N64 and TurboCD games are highly accessible and enormously replayable, hence just the kind of games that would be among the last on my list of stuff to delete. I can clear out an ActRaiser or a Shining Force or a Neutopia without hesitation, which is great and all except for the fact that those are each taking up less than a tenth the space of the likes of S&P and Gate of Thunder. Used to be that I could hold 39 games on the menu at once, but I've dropped to 36 and that number's going to go down further this month.

Luckily for Nintendo, I'll keep buying stuff on VC and eventually Wii Ware regardless, because I'm just that much of a shill for retro gaming and 2D--as well as enough of a foe of waggle--but this is going to become a transparent problem for even the average user soon enough. I mean, I don't even have any Neo Geo games yet; I assume those are huge as well.

Release a hard drive already, guys. :| Even if you have to cheap out and make it 10 GB, it's better than nothing. (Actually, I guess that might be kind of expensive since I don't know how many manufacturers produce 10 GB hard drives anymore, but you see my point.)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm really starting to think that USB HD support won't happen until late next year, if then. I do see SD card support coming around the time of the WiiWare launch, which will help the problem lots.

Apparently 3rd party N64 games will start next year, I wonder if that's because they're trying to figure out a way to streamline Memory Pak support or what, but that's one step closer to OB 64 and Harvest Moon 64, so it'll be worth the wait.

Top Bottom