• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm sure if the Wii sales ever start to slip, a slew of AAA 90's titles on Virtual Console will convince 'the casuals' to come back.
not really

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's no "key phrase" to be found in a one-line PR response, because that was written by a junior copywriter at best and a junior tech person at worst. It's like when random 3rd string blogs send questions to mail@nintendo.com and post the form mail response, except a step up.

I also think Malstrom is a stronger writer when he's sticking to attempting to apply someone else's good ideas rather than coming up with his own. His theory does not take into account that the Wii is LESS supply constrained now than it was when the western VC was doing better, that the Eastern VC has not been consistently brilliant, that VC tie ratios are so low that it's unlikely we can look at the VC as tied to hardware sales or strategy in any meaningful way, etc.

Also, the suggestion that third parties put out fake press releases to try to bully Nintendo, their business partner, into releasing their titles this week instead of next week or the week after, is dumb through and through. It plays into the idea that companies are actively invested in fanboy warring and that the primary business strategy of any video game publisher is to keep people on the internet happy.

Protips:
- Most people who have Wiis are not acutely aware of the VC
- Most people who are aware of the VC are not and probably won't be regular customers no matter what titles come up.
- We know NOTHING about when last week's releases were decided or at what point communication between Nintendo and the third-parties broke down (companies do not simply lie to one another when they plan to continue business together. they might fail to communicate, but they do not actively start shit.)

The only insight in the article is the last sentence quoted; digital distribution strengthens platform holders at the expense of everyone else. Duh.

Stumpokapow said:
Protips:
- Most people who have Wiis are not acutely aware of the VC
- Most people who are aware of the VC are not and probably won't be regular customers no matter what titles come up.
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why would Nintendo of America care about a service they don't even advertise?
Game, set, match.

Your average consumer doesn't give two shits about VC, especially the retro titles that are not Mario 3 or Sonic. Pissing away the VC service is essentially pissing on the core fanbase, which, incidentally, has kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 and NGC years. Way to fuck over your fans Nintendo.

SabinFigaro said:
Game, set, match.

Your average consumer doesn't give two shits about VC, especially the retro titles that are not Mario 3 or Sonic. Pissing away the VC service is essentially pissing on the core fanbase, which, incidentally, has kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 and NGC years. Way to fuck over your fans Nintendo.
ReggieSez.jpg

Nintendo to the core fanbase... "You've been disowned. Have a nice day!"

Somnid

SabinFigaro said:
Game, set, match.

It's true, look at the most popular games in the shop channel it's almost always going to show a handful of Mario titles. However, what we have been considering "pissing on the service" is really the lack of key titles like Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Majora's Mask and a handful of other popular games that aren't explictly "hardcore" titles. These would most likely break into that popular titles list at pretty high numbers. Specifically, much of the bitching is related to Nintendo's own titles but much of the VC is supported by non-Nintendo systems, the very systems that many fans would not necessarily have owned in the first place. This is especially apparent outside this thread were you get comments like "there's too many TG16 shooters" which shows that these people can be rather oblivious to what these other systems really offered. They then proceed to play the "crap week" card not even knowing what the games are about. I think it's out of place to say that they are "fucking over" the hardcore crowd when many of these titles are good but obscure even to many seasoned gamers. I'd say that VC appeals to only the most dedicated of all retro gamers, at least to the point where it makes proclaimed "hardcore" look as ignorant as the casuals they mock.

Seriously though as much as I crap on the VC it does have an amazing library.

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Bubble Bobble
River City Ransom
Super Castlevania 4
R-Type 3
Contra 3
Zelda: Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Gradius 3
Actraiser
Super Metroid
Axelay
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment
Sonic the Hedgehog
Gunstar Heroes
ToeJam & Earl
Bonanza Brothers
Gain Ground
Streets of Rage 2 & 3
Bio Hazard Battle
Beyond Oasis
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Dynamite Headdy
Shinobi 3
Landstalker
Alien Soldier
Phantasy Star 2
Gleylancer
Bonk's Revenge
Super Star Soldier
Soldier Blade
Dragon's Curse
Ninja Spirit
Blazing Lasers
Air Zonk
Alien Crush
Galaga '90
Neutopia 2
Lords of Thunder
Baseball Stars 2
Top Hunter
Metal Slug

Even if you bought a Wii and got just those games you'd be set for a looooooooooooong time.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SabinFigaro said:
Game, set, match.

Kidding right...?

Capndrake

PEGI update:

-Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS)
-Shining Force II

Also, EXTRA GAME for Europe! Splatterhouse 2 is now available as well.

Break In/Star Parodier are still listed for the US next week. Ys is now just "August" again.

Next week Japan gets:

-Nazo no Murasamejou (FC)
-Lord Monarch (MD)
-Parasol Stars (PCE)

Leaving only two games for the rest of August. Maybe they'll get a lot of WiiWare?

Splatterhouse 2 ? I am ashamed to admit that I own Splatterhouse 1... How the fuck did they get to make a sequel...

Somehow I doubt the sequel is so much better either. Stay away is my advice.

zoukka

zoukka said:
Samurai Shodown 2 FUCK YES! So is it un-censored? Has anyone bought it yet??!!

I seriously need to know this! I'm seconds away of just throwing in the moneyz, but I know I'll be cursing the gods if it doesn't have all the gore I need! HJÄLP!

mclem

Mutagenic said:
I recently purchased the Sonic Gems Collection. Does this make purchasing Sonic on the SMS redundant? I know about the increased field of view over the Game Gear version present in the collection, but is that the only difference?
The FoV change means the first boss is slightly more trivial in the GG version than he is in the SMS version (You can hit him in the air on the GG, you can't reach him on the SMS)

0 HP said:
just out of curiosity, how does nintendo reimburse vc games in the offshoot case your wii breaks?

I just got my Wii back from their repair center today (Europeland, so may differ from US) and my VC profile was transferred. All games were gone, but I could re-download them free of charge and my Wii Points where intact.

sfog

Does this make purchasing Sonic on the SMS redundant? I know about the increased field of view over the Game Gear version present in the collection, but is that the only difference?

There are some minor level design changes between the SMS and GG versions, like on the Bridge Zone boss, Jungle Zone act 2, and Labyrinth Zone act 2. They also have different Special Stage designs, plus the GG version Special Stages have a 2 minute time limit, double that of the SMS version.

By and large, the two versions are mostly identical, aside from the GG resolution difference.

Somnid

Capndrake said:
Leaving only two games for the rest of August. Maybe they'll get a lot of WiiWare?

Possible but unlikely. At least for the next two weeks they don't seem to be getting any as their Wiiware site updates about 2 weeks in advance of new releases (ie releases 11 days from today). So I'd say either surprise extra games, or a week of nothing which has happened once before in Japan. Guess that super update will balance itself out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Maelstrom makes an excellent argument. Combine that with the weak dollar and frankly you have a ton of reasons why VC/WW sucks, though none of them really making it better.

My only concern is that VC will turn into 360BC. Starts out strong but quickly taps off, to the point where it is eventually officially acknowledged as on the back burner. Hell, even PSX games in the US (and to a greater degree PS2 BC) are a strong example. Especially with Sony going on the record and talking about how little profit the PSX games are and how much work is involved re-licensing everything. Could the same be true for VC?

Capndrake

Looking around the Wii Shop server, Ecco Jr. (EU) has the region code of an import (I think it was never released in Europe), but it costs 800 Wii Points, so it doesn't have the import premium.

Somnid

Capndrake said:
Looking around the Wii Shop server, Ecco Jr. (EU) has the region code of an import (I think it was never released in Europe), but it costs 800 Wii Points, so it doesn't have the import premium.

Hmm. It does appear that it released in Australia, perhaps that could be the reason.

ChrisGoldstein said:
No word on Flashback? I had it on the Genesis, oh good memories.
I think you're spitting in the wind with that one. There is more of a chance of Castlevania 64 hitting the VC than any of those old Delphine games. But like you, I would love to see Flashback, Another World and others hit the VC.

evilromero said:
I think you're spitting in the wind with that one. There is more of a chance of Castlevania 64 hitting the VC than any of those old Delphine games. But like you, I would love to see Flashback, Another World and others hit the VC.

Both best on Sega CD, of the available platforms, featurewise (graphically, of course, the SNES versions are better)...

Out of this World was packed with Heart of the Alien on Sega CD, which was SCD exclusive, making a very good case for that one. Flashback SCD had FMV scenes added -- it wasn't just a cart game with CD music, they added video stuff too (like Ecco 2 CD, which also added CG cutscenes). I'm sure the 3DO, Jaguar, and PC versions looked better than the SCD one and had that content too, but those versions aren't options here... but yeah, we're probably not going to see these. If we haven't even seen Western games from major publishers/developers (aside from Rare and Factor 5), what chance are there of stuff like this...

evilromero said:

Probably, and due to requiring a controller pak (in the US and European versions, not the Japanese one), Castlevania 64 isn't likely either because that would require Nintendo to do the "impossible" and actually emulate controller pak support...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
A Black Falcon said:
If we haven't even seen Western games from major publishers/developers (aside from Rare and Factor 5), what chance are there of stuff like this...

Virtual Console is here to stay, pandora's box has been opened and there's going to be a Wii2 you know ;)

I see Saturn and Dreamcast as viable options for a Wii2 Virtual Console 2.0 service... I'm also confident we'll be able to carry on our Nintendo Club's accounts for the games we've purchased on Wii's VC, otherwise vc games sales for Wii2 would drop like a rock.

Now go on you cynic bastards, shoot me down :D

Dash Kappei said:
Virtual Console is here to stay, pandora's box has been opened and there's going to be a Wii2 you know ;)

I see Saturn and Dreamcast as viable options for a Wii2 Virtual Console 2.0 service... I'm also confident we'll be able to carry on our Nintendo Club's accounts for the games we've purchased on Wii's VC, otherwise vc games sales for Wii2 would drop like a rock.

Now go on you cynic bastards, shoot me down :D

I thoroughly dig your optimism but I'd be amazed if they let our accounts carry over. I'm already planning on keeping my Wii hooked up right next to my Wii2 if needed. I'm not buying a single one of these games again.

Speaking of possible DC downloads (I just don't see Saturn ever happening or being viable due to emulation woes that I doubt any company is willing to deal with, glad I own my own copy of Radiant Silvergun), I am hoping against hope that MS does this for Live sometime during the 360's lifespan. It'd be so nice to play Jet Grind Radio in HD (and if they were so kind to write in a music editor so I can get rid of the ear splittingly awful "Dragula" by Rob Zombie, that'd be icing).

Oh and kinda random, but I really hate PA's uh...art style sometimes. That's not Reggie, that's a retarded Jay Leno.

Somnid

Agent Unknown said:
I thoroughly dig your optimism but I'd be amazed if they let our accounts carry over.

Speaking of possible DC downloads (I just don't see Saturn ever happening or being viable due to emulation woes that I doubt any company is willing to deal with, glad I own my own copy of Radiant Silvergun), I am hoping against hope that MS does this for Live sometime during the 360's lifespan. It'd be so nice to play Jet Grind Radio in HD (and if they were so kind to write in a music editor so I can get rid of the ear splittingly awful "Dragula" by Rob Zombie, that'd be icing).

Oh and kinda random, but I really hate PA's uh...art style sometimes. That's not Reggie, that's a retarded Jay Leno.

I would have been skeptical if Nintendo hadn't started allowing recovery of VC games via your My Nintendo account (though still through Nintendo's customer service). The back-end is there so I can't see them not doing it.

Somnid said:
I would have been skeptical if Nintendo hadn't started allowing recovery of VC games via your My Nintendo account (though still through Nintendo's customer service). The back-end is there so I can't see them not doing it.

Yeah, makes sense now, you're probably right. Just that I gotta keep my salt ready 'cuz it's such a logical thing to do, logic being something Nintendo isn't always fond of. No, being a cynic isn't fun.

Well, Monday is just a few days away. All aboard the pain train to anticipointment.

Pyrokai

Dragmire said:
So he's saying that Wii sales have an inverse relationship with Virtual Console releases. Makes some sense from Nintendo's perspective. But they could at least release Mega Man, damnit...

Or Earthbound. Or Kirby Super Star. Or Super Mario Kart. Or Yoshi's Island. Or >50% of their classics.

And to Square: stop remaking FF and let us play them old school.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Man God said:
The best kind of nuts! :lol
You do this every week in this thread, make a blanket vague statement and people who are dumb enough will buy into it and the hornets nest gets stirred up, but thats the joy of this thread.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think this is the best possible blanket statement because if there are good games, people will go nuts. If there are bad games, people will go nuts, and if there are neutral games people will still go nuts!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
About NINJA COMMANDO:

I bought it and I'm lovin' it, it's nice when you discover through VC a game you like that you didn't previosuly played BUT

Is it normal for the game to have permament tearing (horizontal line cutting the screen at around 3/4 height)?

I've never experienced anything similar on Neo Geo games, there's a problem with the VC rom, the emulation, or the AES/AVS versions were exactly the same?
I't irritating, damn.

Game's really fun, reminds me of those amazing MERCS games.

By the way, Ninja Spirits is hard as ass but oh so fucking fun. We're at the section where you fall down a long chasm avoiding flying ninjas along the way. Problem is once you die the game restarts at the edge with no power-ups. Any tips?

HUELEN10

Man God said:
I think this is the best possible blanket statement because if there are good games, people will go nuts. If there are bad games, people will go nuts, and if there are neutral games people will still go nuts!
WUT?

But yeah, I would expect it as well. Hopefully though, it will be the good kind of nuts.

evilromero said:
By the way, Ninja Spirits is hard as ass but oh so fucking fun. We're at the section where you fall down a long chasm avoiding flying ninjas along the way. Problem is once you die the game restarts at the edge with no power-ups. Any tips?

Give this a shot and see if it works for you:

"Once you get to the ledge, fall off and hold to the left until you reach the
wall. Then move Moonlight one character space away from the wall and shoot
straight down."

By doing this, you will fall down a safe "corridor" with the ninjas all
around you. As far as I have seen, you don't even need to shoot, as NO
enemies will hit you. Just let gravity take over here. The toughest part
about this solution is trying to get to the left wall before the ninjas start
appearing. You have to be quick, but go too fast and you will run flat upon
a rising ninja. Practice here to get your speed and timing correct. Firing
a weapon seems to momentarily stop you, so you can do this if you are moving
too fast.

From this FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turbo16/file/589055/5716

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
I can just see it now: multi-colored Wii systems with 2GB of flash memory announced and released in January 2009.

You know, with the rate flash memory develops and prices drop, eventually wouldn't sticking with 512MB be a waste of money for Nintendo?

Top Bottom