• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jme

I'll be saving Strong Bad for a rainy day - Braid + Bionic Commando + Castle Crashers will be filling my digital release void for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I have been looking forward to Strong Bad for a while now (since it was announced...) but these games have been hyped for me, much longer and moreso. Besides, it's not like WiiWare/VC won't have a rainy day ;)

handofg0d said:
I'll be saving Strong Bad for a rainy day - Braid + Bionic Commando + Castle Crashers will be filling my digital release void for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I have been looking forward to Strong Bad for a while now (since it was announced...) but these games have been hyped for me, much longer and moreso. Besides, it's not like WiiWare/VC won't have a rainy day ;)

The tweak to your avatar is awesome.

Ranger X

Capndrake said:
I hope for your sake you're kidding, or you will be ripped apart by the other thread regulars. Star Parodier is one of the most fun shooters ever made.

I agree with him in the way that there's so many freaking shooters and TG-16 games up already that they could try to diversity and give us some other types of games and sometimes on other platforms.

Strong Bad is pretty fun. I'm not so familiar with the characters but so far it's showing a lot of promise. I just love exploring the world and playing the various mini-games.

sfog

Strong Bad is apparently around 300 blocks, so it's perhaps the largest downloadable title to date.

It's 319 per the Shop, making it the largest title so far, over Cocoto Fishing Master (307) and Wild West Guns (300).

sfog said:
Yes. It was planned for a US release as "Fantasy Star Soldier", and there's an ISO of it around, but it wasn't actually released.
So if they actually finished localizing it, why couldn't they put the localized version on the VC instead? Stupid Nintendo.

I got to World 6 in Star Parodier, quick impressions - first three worlds way too easy, then becomes balls hard at world 5. Great music. Nice weapons system, but sometimes screen becomes cluttered with a million different types of powerups and its kind of hard to collect the ones you want while avoiding the useless ones, especially with everything else that's going on at once.

nincompoop said:
So if they actually finished localizing it, why couldn't they put the localized version on the VC instead? Stupid Nintendo.

I got to World 6 in Star Parodier, quick impressions - first three worlds way too easy, then becomes balls hard at world 5. Great music. Nice weapons system, but sometimes screen becomes cluttered with a million different types of powerups and its kind of hard to collect the ones you want while avoiding the useless ones, especially with everything else that's going on at once.

Well, the only difference is that the US version (the one that is available, anyway) says "Fantasy Star Soldier" instead of "Star Parodier" on the main menu and cut the intro and most of the voice acting bits, so we're better off with the Japanese version anyway.

And yeah, it is a good shmup. I like horizontal shmups more so I prefer Gleylancer or Gradius or things like that, but for a vertical shmup, it's pretty good. So bright and colorful... with solid Star Soldier style gameplay to back it up.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
nincompoop said:
"finished localizing" is not the same as "finished localizing, marketing, publishing and distributing the product." it did not officially exist as a TG game.

jooey said:
"finished localizing" is not the same as "finished localizing, marketing, publishing and distributing the product." it did not officially exist as a TG game.
Sin and Punishment didn't officially exist as a US N64 game but they still put up the localized version. But I guess its a moot point since it wasn't actually localized, according to Falcon.

nincompoop said:
Sin and Punishment didn't officially exist as a US N64 game but they still put up the localized version. But I guess its a moot point since it wasn't actually localized, according to Falcon.

Sin and Punishment was always in english, and had the english text selectable after it was beaten. So, it was an easy change. I still agree that it was close enough that Nintendo could have brought Star Parodier over in translated form had they wanted to.

nincompoop said:

Well, like most (all?) Hudson shmups, it's not like it had any Japanese text to begin with... changing the title, cutting out the intro (which is voiced in Japanese) and the ingame Japanese voice clips and changing the title IS a way of localizing it. The lazy way, but a way...

It is true that generally TGCD games released here had English voice acting instead of just cutting it all out, but "just cut out the speech parts" isn't exactly uncommong as a "localization" tactic. Were they going to ship it that way, though? Who knows, it wasn't released.

Great week!

Lets just enjoy it and not have any "Hmm... well... 2 is ok I guess, but they coulda had 3 great games instead!" complaints ok guys? :p

A Black Falcon said:
Well, like most (all?) Hudson shmups, it's not like it had any Japanese text to begin with... changing the title, cutting out the intro (which is voiced in Japanese) and the ingame Japanese voice clips and changing the title IS a way of localizing it. The lazy way, but a way...

It is true that generally TGCD games released here had English voice acting instead of just cutting it all out, but "just cut out the speech parts" isn't exactly uncommong as a "localization" tactic. Were they going to ship it that way, though? Who knows, it wasn't released.
Well the whole reason I brought it up is that some of the options in the option screen are in Japanese. You sure they didn't change that in the leaked US version?

Teknoman

theinfinityissue said:
I really can't understand what Nintendo thinks they're doing. I have the ONE awesome Wii game so far- No More Heroes- so I basically don't own a Wii, I own a gimped-ass Virtual Console. Given that I won't buy any WiiWare titles until we get a viable storage fix, my little white box hasn't been on in months. If I could get trade in credit for all the VC titles I've downloaded, I'd send the thing to a family of casual gamers who could love it properly and spend my new cash on a pre-order for RE5.

What about:

Zack and Wiki
Chocobo's mysterious dungeon
House of the Dead 2+3
Resident Evil 4 Wii edition
Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii

farnham said:
Go Eat some Lords of Thunder

This.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Allow me to express my utter delight to see Star Parodier finally hit the VC. I've loved the Star Soldier series ever since I discovered it on VC and being able to play a bright and colourful parody of the games is just awesome.

Edag Plata said:
I'm sick of all this TG-16 crap. At this point I almost wish they just stuck with ONLY the NES, SNES, and N64 this way they could have maybe accidentally released good games every once in awhile.

Oh, really?

So you'd prefer to see the VC without many of the awesome TG-16 games, like the aforementioned Star Soldier series, the Neutopia games, Gate of Thunder, and Lords of Thunder, among others? Oh, and you'd also rather not have the Sonic games, Golden Axe, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier, and the other myriad gems in the Genesis library? And let's not forget the Neo-Geo. There are great games not to be found on Nintendo systems, shocking though it may seem to you.

Why not try to expand your horizons a bit?

Where is Ys 1 and 2? I have been waiting on this one for months. Wasn't it supposed to have come out last week or something? I want to buy that game for the 5th time.

Cosmonaut X said:
Strong Bad is apparently around 300 blocks, so it's perhaps the largest downloadable title to date.

I'd love to get Strongbad but I'd have to delete&move too much. Sorry guys, no money for 300 block games until there's a storage solution.

And as somone who owned the Star Parodier import CD for 5 years, I can say you guys are getting a bargain for $9. Fantastic take on the Soldier series' gameplay, great replay due to the nicely varied fan service character fighters (come on, you know you want to play as a Bomerman mech or shoot shiny CDs out of a gleefully destructive 'lil PCE console, the Paro Caesar ship retains the same nicely balanced weapons from the other games) and some of the most colorful visuals and vibrant music you'll experience on the TG-CD format.

Doesn't make up for last week's titanic mess but still the best update in awhile.

Shiggy

After playing the Strongbad PC demo I am afraid that I have already played too much of the game. Could somebody say how large the demo is compared to the full episode?

Edag Plata said:
I'm sick of all this TG-16 crap. At this point I almost wish they just stuck with ONLY the NES, SNES, and N64 this way they could have maybe accidentally released good games every once in awhile.

005b-02.jpg

ghibli99

Star Parodier! I haven't played this yet, but I did a little research on this and it sounds pretty cool. I did take a look at it on YouTube, though, and it looks like you could 1-life it... the first time through.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is this game a decent challenge?

ghibli99 said:
Star Parodier! I haven't played this yet, but I did a little research on this and it sounds pretty cool. I did take a look at it on YouTube, though, and it looks like you could 1-life it... the first time through.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is this game a decent challenge?

It would be decently easy on one credit. But it'd take longer to master on 1 life. The last 4 stages put up a pretty good fight.

Just got to the final stage... yeah, if you can one life it on your first try then you might not be human.

Anyhow, you people need to stop trying to judge games' difficulty based on youtube videos that only show early areas of the game. I actually got to the third stage boss on my first life, then I died a couple times, died a few more times on level 4, and then beating 5-7 probably took 10 or so continues each. Actually level 6 wasn't too hard now that I think of it, but 5 and 7 took me a while.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
bishopcruz said:
Where is Ys 1 and 2? I have been waiting on this one for months. Wasn't it supposed to have come out last week or something? I want to buy that game for the 5th time.

We were supposed to get it (along with Mega Man, incidentally) but, as the thread title says, Nintendo hates us all.

nincompoop said:
Just got to the final stage... yeah, if you can one life it on your first try then you might not be human.

Anyhow, you people need to stop trying to judge games' difficulty based on youtube videos that only show early areas of the game. I actually got to the third stage boss on my first life, then I died a couple times, died a few more times on level 4, and then beating 5-7 probably took 10 or so continues each. Actually level 6 wasn't too hard now that I think of it, but 5 and 7 took me a while.

Since you've been to level 7 I assume you fought the devil Bomberman? I'm wondering if that part received the Devil's Crush treatment because IIRC I think he was floating over some sort of pentacle or hexagram (symbols removed from Devil's Crush as 1 Up reported on last year)

The sixth level boss was giant bomberman and the level seven mid-boss was a devil, so maybe you're getting those confused? Anyway, there were definitely pentagrams on the ground where you fought the devil mid-boss.

^^^^^

Yep, the mid-boss, that's what I meant. Surprised NOA let them stay in. In fact I suspected editing was the reason for Parodier's last minute delay in July, but nope. Strike that theory. Yet another push back that had no rhyme or reason.

Some of the options in the options menu are in japanese though. The operations manual explains what the options are for but doesn't give a translation for each individual choice.

Star Parodier is a definitive "FUCK YEAH".

I'm very upset that Ys hasn't shown up yet, but that isn't Hudson's fault. Now that we've gotten two more PC Engine games, we'll probably not see any for another six months. Whoever said that PC Engine sucks needs to leave the thread, because it's way better than pretty much any other system ever.

Edag Plata said:

Yeah you. Go away.

dyls

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Aug. 11, 2008

If your idea of a superhero is someone with an invincible ego who can type e-mails while wearing boxing gloves, then the Wii™ Shop Channel has great news for you. The legendary Strong Bad (from the popular Homestar Runner Web series) makes his eagerly anticipated WiiWare™ debut this week. For even more laughs and clever gaming kicks, you'll also find a satirical space-age shooter on the Virtual Console™, along with a classic billiards game for those who prefer to keep their feet planted firmly on the ground.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points)

Is this right?

1UP: What about the original Bionic Commando for Virtual Console?

BJ: We couldn't get it approved for the Virtual Console.

1UP: Is that because of the whole Nazi thing?

BJ: I can't say why. I can just say that we tried to get it to work. We're huge fans of the game. When you think about it, it totally makes sense as a strategy to have the original game out there in some format that people can play and see what was so great about it. But we were told no.
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3169224

Oh Nintendo...

Yes Boss!

Parodier is so awesome. I've not played it for over fifteen years and all the warm fuzzys came right back. Ha, made it all the way to eight level on one life then crashed and burned all my lives there.

An easy game but so much happy. And great replay with the three characters. This and Ys might just make this a decent VC month.

Top Bottom