• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man God said:
You guys are going to go nuts this monday. That is all.

Nuts and Milk Famicom import confirmed?

RedBoot

crowphoenix said:
I wonder what we'll be getting tomorrow. I'm betting on sheer awesome. :lol

Based on what has been announced, we should be getting Strong Bad, Star Parodius, and Break In tomorrow.

Of course, we saw last Monday where things go when you listen to what has been announced, so who knows?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Give this a shot and see if it works for you:

"Once you get to the ledge, fall off and hold to the left until you reach the
wall. Then move Moonlight one character space away from the wall and shoot
straight down."

By doing this, you will fall down a safe "corridor" with the ninjas all
around you. As far as I have seen, you don't even need to shoot, as NO
enemies will hit you. Just let gravity take over here. The toughest part
about this solution is trying to get to the left wall before the ninjas start
appearing. You have to be quick, but go too fast and you will run flat upon
a rising ninja. Practice here to get your speed and timing correct. Firing
a weapon seems to momentarily stop you, so you can do this if you are moving
too fast.

From this FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turbo16/file/589055/5716
Wow. Thanks. I'll give this a shot. We literally tried to find some pattern, which went on for 20 or 30 lives.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, am I really the only one who've bought Ninja Commando? :lol

edit: guys please tell me there's a problem with my download, because I can't believe they've put up a game emulated in a such shitty way!
Don't tell me the original game was the same c'mon, the sound come and goes and completely muts itself when there's an explosion, tearing a go-go making it semi-unplayable... ffs I've wasted money here, such a shame 'cause I like the game... hopefully is just a problem with the rom download, can such a thing happen? Otherwise they better release a patch fix.

Is there a customer support for VC games issues?

I'm just hyped about Strong Bad. Hyped, I say. It will be my second WiiWare purchase, with my first being Lost Winds. I have yet to clean out the fridge, though there are certainly games I could delete and never, ever miss. I'm looking at you, Bonk.

You guys expect too much. It's just another day. It's a small surprise, nice, new content in the Nintendo Channel, and perhaps a cool game you might not have ever heard of but want to play in either the Virtual Console or WiiWare. I don't know why you guys would trouble yourselves for something quite small.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kobun Heat said:
Somebody quick add in something that says I have changed my stance again.

Apparantly, someone did, but it was quickly removed by Wikipedia folks. It appears that Chris Kohler is not a "reliable, third party published source" on Chris Kohler.

farnham

Banned
so i want a ghoulsNGhost game

should i get the megadrive one or the snes one

i will get the megadrive one if the two versions are identical because of the wiimote control option

Don't remember much about the megadrive version, but I do know that the SNES version is hard, really hard. Don't feel like I had as much trouble with the megadrive version, but that may just be a faulty memory. I can say the SNES one rocks, for what it's worth.

Capndrake

farnham said:
so i want a ghoulsNGhost game

should i get the megadrive one or the snes one

i will get the megadrive one if the two versions are identical because of the wiimote control option
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts > Ghouls 'n Ghosts > Ghosts 'n Goblins (Though that isn't out in Europe yet).

EDIT: Also:

WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Aug. 11, 2008

If your idea of a superhero is someone with an invincible ego who can type e-mails while wearing boxing gloves, then the Wii™ Shop Channel has great news for you. The legendary Strong Bad (from the popular Homestar Runner Web series) makes his eagerly anticipated WiiWare™ debut this week. For even more laughs and clever gaming kicks, you'll also find a satirical space-age shooter on the Virtual Console™, along with a classic billiards game for those who prefer to keep their feet planted firmly on the ground.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Charming. Suave. Awesome. These are the words Strong Bad would use to describe himself. In a world gone mad, only one man can be trusted to save the day. A man with an attitude. A man called Strong Bad. As the star of the Homestar Runner Web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering e-mails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years now. And he's branched out to star in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, a monthly five-episode series. In Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner, Strong Bad's plans to beat the snot out of Homestar backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal by any means possible. But wait, there's more: Teen Girl Squad comics, achievements, funny costumes and arcade games. You can even send pictures and messages to Wii Friends using Strong Bad's computer. So how about it? Can you handle Strong Bad's style?

Virtual Console

Break In (TurboGrafx16, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Tobacco Reference, 700 Wii Points): Gather up to four players for an authentic game of pool right in your own home. Choose from six billiards games including 9-Ball, Rotation and Carom (a game played without pockets). Use Simulation mode to calculate the perfect shot, or select Action mode and check out what went wrong with your missed shots. With all that to choose from, Break In gives players-from beginners to experts-all the elements necessary to enjoy a great game of pool. But it doesn't stop there. Select Technique to practice your angles or even go for a trick shot. Get some help from the CPU and hone your skills. With Break In, you'll be a pro in no time.

Star Parodier (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): Star Parodier is the hilarious spoof of the classic Hudson shooter Star Soldier. In this parody, there are three playable ships for players to choose from: the ingratiating PAROCEASER, the hot-headed BOMBERMAN, and the ever-so-introverted PC-ENGINE. Players control one of these unique and original ships and set off to blast their way through eight stages on the planet PAROSON. The comical characters take the color and flavor of the Soldier series to the next level and are guaranteed to leave players mesmerized. In addition to the normal game mode, there are also the familiar two-minute and five-minute attack modes, making Star Parodier the complete package that is sure to have players coming back for more.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
WII-KLY UPDATE: ONE WIIWARE GAME AND TWO VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Aug. 11, 2008

If your idea of a superhero is someone with an invincible ego who can type e-mails while wearing boxing gloves, then the Wii™ Shop Channel has great news for you. The legendary Strong Bad (from the popular Homestar Runner Web series) makes his eagerly anticipated WiiWare™ debut this week. For even more laughs and clever gaming kicks, you'll also find a satirical space-age shooter on the Virtual Console™, along with a classic billiards game for those who prefer to keep their feet planted firmly on the ground.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated T for Teen-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 1,000 Wii Points): Charming. Suave. Awesome. These are the words Strong Bad would use to describe himself. In a world gone mad, only one man can be trusted to save the day. A man with an attitude. A man called Strong Bad. As the star of the Homestar Runner Web cartoons, Strong Bad has been answering e-mails (in boxing gloves), pranking his friends, pummeling his enemies, and making people with questionable taste snort milk out of their noses for years now. And he's branched out to star in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, a monthly five-episode series. In Episode 1: Homestar Ruiner, Strong Bad's plans to beat the snot out of Homestar backfire, and he ends up with an unwanted houseguest cramping his style. Now he needs to get life back to normal by any means possible. But wait, there's more: Teen Girl Squad comics, achievements, funny costumes and arcade games. You can even send pictures and messages to Wii Friends using Strong Bad's computer. So how about it? Can you handle Strong Bad's style?

Virtual Console

Break In (TurboGrafx16, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone-Tobacco Reference, 700 Wii Points): Gather up to four players for an authentic game of pool right in your own home. Choose from six billiards games including 9-Ball, Rotation and Carom (a game played without pockets). Use Simulation mode to calculate the perfect shot, or select Action mode and check out what went wrong with your missed shots. With all that to choose from, Break In gives players-from beginners to experts-all the elements necessary to enjoy a great game of pool. But it doesn't stop there. Select Technique to practice your angles or even go for a trick shot. Get some help from the CPU and hone your skills. With Break In, you'll be a pro in no time.

Star Parodier (TurboGrafx16 CD-ROM, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): Star Parodier is the hilarious spoof of the classic Hudson shooter Star Soldier. In this parody, there are three playable ships for players to choose from: the ingratiating PAROCEASER, the hot-headed BOMBERMAN, and the ever-so-introverted PC-ENGINE. Players control one of these unique and original ships and set off to blast their way through eight stages on the planet PAROSON. The comical characters take the color and flavor of the Soldier series to the next level and are guaranteed to leave players mesmerized. In addition to the normal game mode, there are also the familiar two-minute and five-minute attack modes, making Star Parodier the complete package that is sure to have players coming back for more.

Oh boy! (Star Parodier is actually a pretty cool release to have.)

Not bad, though a third strong release would have been great for American GAFers. Hopefully Strong Bad will make its way to Europe in time for this Friday's Wii Shop update.

I really can't understand what Nintendo thinks they're doing. I have the ONE awesome Wii game so far- No More Heroes- so I basically don't own a Wii, I own a gimped-ass Virtual Console. Given that I won't buy any WiiWare titles until we get a viable storage fix, my little white box hasn't been on in months. If I could get trade in credit for all the VC titles I've downloaded, I'd send the thing to a family of casual gamers who could love it properly and spend my new cash on a pre-order for RE5.

NSBrandon said:

oh wait- I should stipulate that I haven't played Mario Galaxy yet.

but I really wasn't enthused with Super Paper Mario, Twilight Princess, or even MP3, when the first Metroid Prime was one of my favorite games ever.

I'm sick of all this TG-16 crap. At this point I almost wish they just stuck with ONLY the NES, SNES, and N64 this way they could have maybe accidentally released good games every once in awhile.

Super Paper Mario was pretty boring, but Super Mario Galaxy is by far my favorite game this generation. I consider Rock Band a non-game, though.

Edit: I'm glad we're finally getting Strong Bad. It's about time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
an "ok" release day. Well, by comparison to the past 3-4 months a fuck-all-amazing release day. But compared to what they have in the fucking queue, they could have done a lot better.

Will be curious as to the size of strong bad. I have a feeling complaints about messy fridges and throwing out steaks and shit will pop up today. Will guess that Star Parodier actually won't be that big once you compress the music down.

I really want to be more excited about this week. In the grand scheme of things it's a great week for digital downloads (Especially with BCR releasing later this week on PSN/XBLA). But I just have a feeling that by next week Nintendo will use this as a reason to go back to giving us the SMS port of Moonwalker.

Capndrake

Edag Plata said:
I'm sick of all this TG-16 crap. At this point I almost wish they just stuck with ONLY the NES, SNES, and N64 this way they could have maybe accidentally released good games every once in awhile.
I hope for your sake you're kidding, or you will be ripped apart by the other thread regulars. Star Parodier is one of the most fun shooters ever made.

Aeana

Not bad, I guess. It sucks that they just forgot that Ys was supposed to come out last week, though. I wonder if it'll ever come.

borghe

Capndrake said:
I hope for your sake you're kidding, or you will be ripped apart by the other thread regulars. Star Parodier is one of the most fun shooters ever made.
it's original. basically like they took the Fantasy Zone concept and stuck it on an awesome vertical shooter.

Going back and watching some youtubes now though, the thing that struck me the most is how huge of an upgrade CD audio really was. It really didn't give us better soundtracks, but it's just like we were taking earplugs out and everything just sounded clearer at 16-bit/44.1Khz.

I am actually going to have to buy points today, because I am about 700 short for both Strong Bad and Star Parodier, and both I consider must haves for the service.

grr....

Naked Snake said:
I haven't bought a VC title since Super Metroid. Did I miss anything?
short answer yes, but not much. long answer, go check wikipedia. a ton of NeoGeo games and some decent WiiWare titles mixed with maybe a handful of other system's titles.

Aeana said:
Not bad, I guess. It sucks that they just forgot that Ys was supposed to come out last week, though. I wonder if it'll ever come.
even though dragona won't be thrilled by me saying this, I can excuse Ys not coming out for Star Parodier. Although I suppose it's easier to say when I have my TGCD copy of Ys sitting like 30 feet away from me in the closet, even though my TG-16 isn't hooked up. But I've played it through probably at least 4-5 times over the past ~20 years, whereas Star Parodier will be new to me.

borghe

Capndrake said:
lol.. if NS isn't being sarcastic, he actually has probably 1-2 dozen great games to choose from.

apparently THAT'S how ALL of us should be treating the VC/WW service. :\

edit - whoa whoa whoa... breakin is a 2D pool title? Any one able to provide thoughts on it compared to SidePocket (being that that will NEVER NEVER NEVER come to VC.)

Aeana

borghe said:
even though dragona won't be thrilled by me saying this, I can excuse Ys not coming out for Star Parodier. Although I suppose it's easier to say when I have my TGCD copy of Ys sitting like 30 feet away from me in the closet, even though my TG-16 isn't hooked up. But I've played it through probably at least 4-5 times over the past ~20 years, whereas Star Parodier will be new to me.

Well, I have Ys, too, and my Duo is hooked up and everything. I don't necessarily care because I want to buy it personally (though I will), but because it'll give my friends an opportunity to play it. I've been waiting to do a "GAF Plays" kind of thread for the game for months. :O

farnham

Banned
Edag Plata said:
Go Eat some Lords of Thunder

Edag Plata said:

Joke post? The system took almost a six month hiatus from the Virtual Console. And there are plenty of fantastic games in the TG-16 library. I'd like to see more NES, SNES, and N64 titles as well, but the way forward is increased quantity, not depriving people of perfectly fine TG-16 titles.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Star Parodier might be purchased in the future, when I have money to burn (the far far distant future). Nothing exciting for me, but I'm glad people are A LITTLE pleased with this week. :D

Top Bottom