• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

So America's gotten three Art Style games so far, yet PAL regions haven't gotten any. :(

Also, I hope they fixed the weird EWJ emulation problems for you guys! Had some funky border issues here.

I'm glad they chose the superior Genny version of EWJ.

I still remember GameFAN's hyperbole box quote.
"This isn't game of the year, this is GAME OF THE DECADE!"

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
borghe said:
so I was just reading the how to on using a 4GB card for the Wii. Not bad at all, but Nintendo still needs to give us an easy way to either play or seamlessly play games from the SD card. Or at the very least use the SD card for game saves. Regardless, for $10 hopefully now I can stop having to delete games as a way to clean the fridge. 4GB should be enough to hold pretty much all of my current shop purchases.

edit - although nintendo should still update the card reader to support SDHC and >2GB natively.
Guitar Hero 3 allows transparent copying of music to and from the SD card without user intervention, ie the song is saved on the SD card and copied to the main memory on the fly when it is needed. Hopefully this will be extended to VC/WiiWare games soon.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
poppabk said:
Guitar Hero 3 allows transparent copying of music to and from the SD card without user intervention, ie the song is saved on the SD card and copied to the main memory on the fly when it is needed. Hopefully this will be extended to VC/WiiWare games soon.
I believe that's what they're aiming for.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
poppabk said:
right, but my post was more referring to using a 4GB card. While a transparent usage feature would be nice, we are still stuck with 2GB cards (or spending a couple extra minutes to use a 4GB card). If they updated the card reader we could go up to 8GB SDHC cards which is 2/3 the space that was available by default on a 360 at launch.

borghe said:
so how does the Genesis and SNES versions of EJ compare?

The Genesis obliterates it in animation and sound(surprisingly), but the SNES version has unique special effects(like the lens flare) and more colors. Also, the Genesis has an extra level and less loading between levels.

The Genesis version is usually considered the superior between the two 'non-Special Edition' versions.

Also: :D :D :D Can't wait to download it.

Hmm...well, it wasn't THE best game of the 90's, but it was certainly one of them, for me! Probably my favorite 3rd party game of the decade, outside of Capcom.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
borghe said:
If they updated the card reader we could go up to 8GB SDHC cards which is 2/3 the space that was available by default on a 360 at launch.

1) They couldn't "update the reader" -- they could, however, provide new drivers allowing for SDHC access in titles using those new drivers/routines. The reader is the hardware, and that's pretty much "set in stone".

2) As far as we can reasonably determine, games have the SD access routines as part of their software code, as opposed to being a firmware library that can be access or updated. While NCL could provide SDHC support for all downloadable software -and- in the Wii menu, SDHC cards would be presumably incompatible with the SD features in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Excite Truck, Endless Ocean, and both the new Guitar Hero and Rock Band games.

At the moment, all actually software operations on the Wii seem to rely either on the ROM OS code -or- on routines included in each operation. There has been no evidence to suggest that there are system-wide updatable firmware routines for any features in the Wii.

We could get SDHC support for all VC and WiiWare titles, but then SDHC cards wouldn't work with Brawl and the other games. I'm not sure NCL wants to have that sort of hassle and confusion on their hands.

mollipen

_dementia said:

I still remember GameFAN's hyperbole box quote.

What's funny is, in needing to check on something for something else I'm writing now, the EarthWork Jim issue was one of the issues I picked up just to look back through some of the old GF stuff.

Right there on the cover: "The best game ever to hit a screen"

shidoshi said:
What's funny is, in needing to check on something for something else I'm writing now, the EarthWork Jim issue was one of the issues I picked up just to look back through some of the old GF stuff.

Right there on the cover: "The best game ever to hit a screen"
I remember gutting that issue for the art and putting it up on my walls. EWJ Genesis is one of my favorite games of all time.

bumpkin

_dementia said:
Garbled audio and a reduced color palette is superior? Not trying to pick a fight. I'm genuinely curious what's better about it. I only had the SNES version (rented the Genny one).

bumpkin said:
I'm genuinely curious what's better about it. I only had the SNES version (rented the Genny one).
a few posts down

SonicMegaDrive said:
The Genesis obliterates [the SNES version] in animation and sound(surprisingly), but the SNES version has unique special effects(like the lens flare) and more colors. Also, the Genesis has an extra level and less loading between levels.

The Genesis version is usually considered the superior between the two 'non-Special Edition' versions.

Also: Can't wait to download it.

Jiggy37 said:
...Oh. We're jinxed now. :(

In 2008, the longest string of multiple game Virtual Console weeks have been nine (July 14th - September 8th), seven (March 10th - April 21st), and four (February 4th - February 25th). With a seven week multiple game WiiWare streak currently ongoing, I thought our VC luck was due to run out.

Still, between WiiWare & VC, a very good week overall.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Eh, I'm kind of regretting buying Rotohex. Dialhex wasn't all that fun and this doesn't change that. And it's only made all the more lackluster coming off the heels of the awesome Cubello. Nice music, though.

I'll just write it off as a $6 donation towards continued Art Style releases.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Earthworm Jim is one of those games I played back in the '90s, but haven't touched in over a decade. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. I remember liking it, though I don't think I ever called it "game of the decade" or anything along those lines.

Also, we really should have gotten Castlevania III for Halloween. :/

The Genesis version of Earthworm Jim isn't nearly as pretty as the SNES version. The Genesis version doesn't have as many colors, lacks some of the special effects, and is missing background layers in nearly every level. It also sounds like shit compared to the SNES version. It still looks good in its own right though, and it does have an extra level. The Genesis actually ran at a higher resolution than the SNES, however, meaning you had a slightly larger viewing area. This gives you a little more time to react to certain enemies and obstacles. So, all in all, I'd say the Genesis version is slightly superior to the SNES version, but it may take a while to adjust to the downgraded visuals and horrible audio.

Baconbitz

Banned
stuminus3 said:
What I don't understand is why you are reading this and not buying Strong Bad Episode 3.

Yes, you.
ECONOMY?

I don't know why but, I find myself not buying too many VC games not just because of the economy right now and that would go for Wiiware also but, because I own a genesis, N64, SNES and there all in workin condition. Everytime I see a new VC game its one I allready own.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Coolio McAwesome said:
The Genesis version of Earthworm Jim isn't nearly as pretty as the SNES version. The Genesis version doesn't have as many colors, lacks some of the special effects, and is missing background layers in nearly every level. It also sounds like shit compared to the SNES version. It still looks good in its own right though, and it does have an extra level. The Genesis actually ran at a higher resolution than the SNES, however, meaning you had a slightly larger viewing area. This gives you a little more time to react to certain enemies and obstacles. So, all in all, I'd say the Genesis version is slightly superior to the SNES version, but it may take a while to adjust to the downgraded visuals and horrible audio.
Uh

Genesis
SNES

The SNES version sounds like a pale imitation of the Genesis version. No, it doesn't make sense, but that's how it is.

FWIW, the Gen version also has at least one graphical effect (underwater wavy filter) that the SNES doesn't.

I don't always want the games themselves (as in, "that type of puzzle game doesn't really appeal to me at the moment") but I'm really liking these Art Style releases. Very smart for WiiWare.

Coolio McAwesome said:

Once again, the one we really want is the Sega CD version.

Appropriate time to link the recent HG101 Earthworm Jim article...

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/earthwormjim/earthwormjim.htm

It finally answered my questions about what the exact feature set of the DOS version of EWJ1+2 was! Evidently it's pretty much the Genesis version with nicer graphics and the SE CD audio soundtrack and minus the level the SNES version doesn't have... that is, it doesn't have either the SE's added level or the level missing in the SNES version, it has none of the other added features of the Special Edition (saving, one new weapon, etc)... except for the soundtrack. Huh. But at least it does come with the only PC version of EWJ2...

But anyway, EWJ1 for Genesis is great, but it's even better with saving... and a CD audio soundtrack, and that homing rocket gun... but still, the Genesis version is absolutely worth getting, for people who don't have a version already and don't want to go out and find either Earthworm Jim SE for the Sega CD or Activision's Earthworm Jim for Windows 95.

My word on the Genesis vs SNES EWJ comparison.

I rented the Genesis version of EWJ and played through it multiple times.
I played EWJ SNES at a friend's house and I said "What the shit is this? It plays like crap."

And that's the end of that.

I win IMO.

MoxManiac

A Black Falcon said:
Once again, the one we really want is the Sega CD version.

Appropriate time to link the recent HG101 Earthworm Jim article...

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/earthwormjim/earthwormjim.htm

It finally answered my questions about what the exact feature set of the DOS version of EWJ1+2 was! Evidently it's pretty much the Genesis version with nicer graphics and the SE CD audio soundtrack and minus the level the SNES version doesn't have... that is, it doesn't have either the SE's added level or the level missing in the SNES version, it has none of the other added features of the Special Edition (saving, one new weapon, etc)... except for the soundtrack. Huh. But at least it does come with the only PC version of EWJ2...

But anyway, EWJ1 for Genesis is great, but it's even better with saving... and a CD audio soundtrack, and that homing rocket gun... but still, the Genesis version is absolutely worth getting, for people who don't have a version already and don't want to go out and find either Earthworm Jim SE for the Sega CD or Activision's Earthworm Jim for Windows 95.

It's too bad that PSP game never came out. After a string of failed sequels from different developers, it looked to go back to the series roots.

Bii

I was waiting for the US Club Nintendo to be established before I downloaded any more games but I broke down and downloaded Rotohex. And I don't regret it one bit. I've never played Dialhex but it plays similar to Hexic HD, if I had to compare it to another game. The game took up 106 blocks and I'm close to having to reorganize my Wii storage.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Only 1 purchase this week, but this is like my 4th week in a row purchasing a goodie (I'm my newly and unofficially updated Wii Shop Channel. Eff you Nintendo, for trying to block me from spending my money on your goods...)

Jiggy

And thus did my short vacation from disappointment with Nintendo's treatment of VC end. One-game week. :(

Anyway, forget that for a moment. If a person doesn't have any Wii Points already on their system, nothing bad happens if they switch country settings to send/receive a gift, right? I feel like I should know this since people not in the same country as me have sent and received stuff from me before, but confirmation from anyone else who's done it before would be nice... >_>

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
And thus did my short vacation from disappointment with Nintendo's treatment of VC end. One-game week. :(

Anyway, forget that for a moment. If a person doesn't have any Wii Points already on their system, nothing bad happens if they switch country settings to send/receive a gift, right? I feel like I should know this since people not in the same country as me have sent and received stuff from me before, but confirmation from anyone else who's done it before would be nice... >_>

I've switched regions with Wii Points loaded onto my system and I've never lost points or anything like that. Though in all honesty, I've never switched except to change Canada to USA and back again so maybe other regions will mess things up.

I don't think there really is a difference between having your Wii in Canada or USA mode, except for the gifts you can and cannot receive.

Top Bottom