• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What a horrendous week.

Boogerman? Boingz? Sudoku?

Ugh.

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Nov. 24, 2008

This week, it's all about you. By adding three new single-player games to the Wii™ Shop Channel, we're helping gamers turn their Wii time into "me time." That said, don't be surprised if you attract a crowd of onlookers with this remarkable lineup. From elastic critters and elaborate puzzles to a hero with highly questionable manners, these solo titles are suitable for sharing, but give your friends and family fair warning: They may have to wait a while for their turn once you've gotten a taste of the single-player fun.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Boingz (RealArcade, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Stretch, flex and flick your way to freedom. A truly mind-bending experience, Boingz introduces you to cute, colorful, stretchable friends lost in an alien world, searching for the magical gates that will take them home. Boingz springs to life with 30 levels of puzzle-platforming fun. The Boingz are bendy little critters that can be pulled, stretched and flicked from place to place like rubber bands. It's a team effort, as all the Boingz will have to work together to unwind the game's puzzles. What's more, many of the Boingz have fallen into a deep slumber, and you'll have to lead the stronger Boingz to find and wake up their sleepy friends. Explore surreal landscapes, sail through the air like a trapeze artist, walk along the seafloor, and collect the Twinklies to power up your elastic-powered flights.

Sudoku Challenge! (Digital Leisure Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Now's your chance to play the brain-busting puzzle game taking the world by storm. With over 100 million Sudoku puzzles, you'll never see the same puzzle twice in Sudoku Challenge! You can select the classic nine-by-nine Sudoku game boards as well as Grand Sudoku, which challenges you to complete five intersecting Sudoku boards simultaneously. Just a beginner? Don't worry-with three difficulty options, even a novice player can complete a Sudoku with ease. But if you're a seasoned pro, challenge yourself in Expert mode and test your true skills. It's time to get your thinking cap on and see how many Sudoku puzzles you can conquer.

Virtual Console™

Boogerman™: A Pick and Flick Adventure (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 800 Wii Points): In this top pick from the Sega Genesis, play as Boogerman, the heroic alter ego of Snotty Ragsdale. While investigating Professor Stinkbaum's lab, Boogerman stumbles upon a strange machine that opens a portal to another dimension. Boogerman has a nose for adventure, but has he met his match in this sticky situation? Journey through dangerous worlds while battling wicked enemies like Fly Boy and Deodor Ant. Deal them a blow with Boogerman's super abilities: pick and flick with deadly precision, belch, and use his deadly signature stomp.

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It snot a bad week...

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Nov. 24, 2008

This week, it's all about you. By adding three new single-player games to the Wii™ Shop Channel, we're helping gamers turn their Wii time into "me time." That said, don't be surprised if you attract a crowd of onlookers with this remarkable lineup. From elastic critters and elaborate puzzles to a hero with highly questionable manners, these solo titles are suitable for sharing, but give your friends and family fair warning: They may have to wait a while for their turn once you've gotten a taste of the single-player fun.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare™

Boingz (RealArcade, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): Stretch, flex and flick your way to freedom. A truly mind-bending experience, Boingz introduces you to cute, colorful, stretchable friends lost in an alien world, searching for the magical gates that will take them home. Boingz springs to life with 30 levels of puzzle-platforming fun. The Boingz are bendy little critters that can be pulled, stretched and flicked from place to place like rubber bands. It's a team effort, as all the Boingz will have to work together to unwind the game's puzzles. What's more, many of the Boingz have fallen into a deep slumber, and you'll have to lead the stronger Boingz to find and wake up their sleepy friends. Explore surreal landscapes, sail through the air like a trapeze artist, walk along the seafloor, and collect the Twinklies to power up your elastic-powered flights.

Sudoku Challenge! (Digital Leisure Inc., 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): Now's your chance to play the brain-busting puzzle game taking the world by storm. With over 100 million Sudoku puzzles, you'll never see the same puzzle twice in Sudoku Challenge! You can select the classic nine-by-nine Sudoku game boards as well as Grand Sudoku, which challenges you to complete five intersecting Sudoku boards simultaneously. Just a beginner? Don't worry-with three difficulty options, even a novice player can complete a Sudoku with ease. But if you're a seasoned pro, challenge yourself in Expert mode and test your true skills. It's time to get your thinking cap on and see how many Sudoku puzzles you can conquer.

Virtual Console™

Boogerman™: A Pick and Flick Adventure (Sega Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Comic Mischief, 800 Wii Points): In this top pick from the Sega Genesis, play as Boogerman, the heroic alter ego of Snotty Ragsdale. While investigating Professor Stinkbaum's lab, Boogerman stumbles upon a strange machine that opens a portal to another dimension. Boogerman has a nose for adventure, but has he met his match in this sticky situation? Journey through dangerous worlds while battling wicked enemies like Fly Boy and Deodor Ant. Deal them a blow with Boogerman's super abilities: pick and flick with deadly precision, belch, and use his deadly signature stomp.

Boingz is listed as RealArcade, but NinjaBee (A Kingdom for Keflings, Outpost Kaloki X, Band of Bugs on XBLA) is responsible.

Sudoku Challenge only has one screenshot, but... let's be real, you know what it looks like.

Ugh, poor North America - that's a pretty ropey looking week. Boingz is pretty much the only one of any interest (though it is damned ugly). I wonder if Digital Leisure arsed up sudoku as badly as they arsed up ball-rolling maze games with their last release?

It looks a bit better, but still only a sliver above just about any other shovelware sudoku game out there

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
holy shit... worst week we've had in months... and worst VC week we've had in... ummm... ever?

guess it doesn't help myself that I had a dream last night that they released a Capcom Disney game today. :(

Out of curiosity, who is publishing Boogerman? I thought Interplay lost most of its old rights and licenses when they went under years ago. Did they still retain some now that they're back?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
borghe said:
Out of curiosity, who is publishing Boogerman? I thought Interplay lost most of its old rights and licenses when they went under years ago. Did they still retain some now that they're back?
I seem to recall Boogerman being announced for an eventual VC release at the same time Earthworm Jim was announced (and in the same story / press release), so I'd assume it's the same publisher.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
borghe said:

Publisher: Interplay, according to Nintendo :p

gkryhewy

Just bought Tetris Party yesterday after getting some cheap points on eBay, and it is AWESOME.

Had to move Sin & Punishment onto my SD card to DL it, however :(

Oh well another dissapointing week.

Kind of related, I really like the new SD card speeds. I think it was mentioned by somebody in this thread before, but with the new speed all they have to do is implement a backend transfer. So if you click a game thats not in your Wii's system memory, it will automaticly transfer it there, and make space by transfering your least-accessed games to the card.

I am REALLY hoping the spring update comes with a way to extend the channel amount though. I'm getting close to running out of availible channel slots.

gkryhewy

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Oh well another dissapointing week.

Kind of related, I really like the new SD card speeds. I think it was mentioned by somebody in this thread before, but with the new speed all they have to do is implement a backend transfer. So if you click a game thats not in your Wii's system memory, it will automaticly transfer it there, and make space by transfering your least-accessed games to the card.

I am REALLY hoping the spring update comes with a way to extend the channel amount though. I'm getting close to running out of availible channel slots.

Huh - my speeds haven't improved at all. Sin & Punishment took FOREVER to copy to my SD card last night.

Proven

Why do we still not have MaBoShi? Everyone else has MaBoShi, all I want to do is play MaBoShi, this is worst than DIZASSTUH!

gkrykewy said:
Huh - my speeds haven't improved at all. Sin & Punishment took FOREVER to copy to my SD card last night.
Did you install the latest system update? It could also be that your using a slow SD card.

Transfer speeds have improved significantly for me. S&P used to take 5-6 minutes to transfer over, and now transfers in less than a minute. NES games were only a few seconds.

If the interface wasnt so cumbersome & I didnt have to play the "what do I want to delete" game, I would already be satisfied.

gkryhewy

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Did you install the latest system update? It could also be that your using a slow SD card.

Transfer speeds have improved significantly for me. S&P used to take 5-6 minutes to transfer over, and now transfers in less than a minute. NES games were only a few seconds.

If the interface wasnt so cumbersome & I didnt have to play the "what do I want to delete" game, I would already be satisfied.

I just updated my system last night. I have a 2GB Kingston card - according to Amazon, the specs are "up to 5 MB/sec read speed and 1.5 MB/sec write speed"

Proven

gkrykewy said:
I just updated my system last night. I have a 2GB Kingston card - according to Amazon, the specs are "up to 5 MB/sec read speed and 1.5 MB/sec write speed"

Uh oh...that's the card I have...

I might have to buy a new one...

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Clearly the best week eve-- ugh, I can't even finish that sentence.

I haven't played Boogerman in years and I remember literally nothing about it aside from the fact it was a 2D platformer and involved what the title would imply. Is there any gameplay value to it at all, or is snot-related humour all it has going for it?

hooo said:
Don't you mean, he'd be picking that one up? =p
Thanks to you, he nose that he messed up a great pun.

Iam Canadian said:

I haven't played Boogerman in years and I remember literally nothing about it aside from the fact it was a 2D platformer and involved what the title would imply. Is there any gameplay value to it at all, or is snot-related humour all it has going for it?
Meh. It was a decent platformer, but the gross out humor was all that really set it apart. Really, I feel like that style of goofy humor is better served by Earthworm Jim, even if there is not as much disgustingness to Jim(Which is actually a perk).

donny2112

Cheesemeister said:
What I'd want to do is have everyone list their country, price point willingness, and last available date with Wii access before Christmas. I'd then match up folks within their own country having a price threshold less than or equal to their own. The price point named would be the minimum, but overspending would also be acceptable. Two friend codes for each person again: one for Tiny Tim, and one for the Secret Santa. If we start early enough, unresponsive folks could be purged after a week.

It could also distinguish between WiiWare givers and VC givers, until the storage solution actually gets here. :)

Ranger X

Iam Canadian said:

The game was "decent" at best back in the day when it came out. I call "not worth it" right now.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
crowphoenix said:
Meh. It was a decent platformer, but the gross out humor was all that really set it apart. Really, I feel like that style of goofy humor is better served by Earthworm Jim, even if there is not as much disgustingness to Jim(Which is actually a perk).

I don't remember Earthworm Jim getting that gross until the second game. I haven't played Earthworm Jim 2 in years either (probably last played it around the time I last played Boogerman), but wasn't the second game the one where he had a grappling hook made out of snot and one of the levels was him swimming in someone's intestines or something like that?

Anyway, Boogerman impressions are pretty much what I expected. It snot like I was expecting some forgotten masterpiece or anything.

That was the worst pun ever and I apologize to you all.

Hey guys, I actually have found myself in quite a predicament. I have recently come across 6000 Wii Points and I really want to catch up on a lot of the stuff I missed over the past few months on VC (I've been so busy with all the new releases like LBP, Wii Music, Resistance 2, Gears 2, etc.)

So anyway here's what I have been looking into purchasing with my 6000 points:

Virtual Console
Super Mario RPG- SNES- 800- 59 Blocks
Mega Man 2- NES- 500- 17 Blocks
Zelda: Ocarina of Time- N64- 1000- 286 Blocks
Mega Man 3- NES- 500- 20 Blocks
Mega Man- NES- 500- 15 Blocks
Super Fantasy Zone- Genesis- 900- 25 Blocks
JJ and Jeff- TG-16- 600- 23 Blocks
ActRaiser- SNES- 800- 44 Blocks
Star Parodier- TG-16- 900- 211 Blocks
Super Castlevania IV- SNES- 800- 42 Blocks
Cho Aniki- TG-16- 900- 143 Blocks
Pokemon Snap- N64- 1000- 159 Blocks <-Apparently this has Wiiconnect24 support? WTF?
Secret of Mana- SNES- 800- 33 Blocks
Gradius 2- TG-16- 900- 221 Blocks
Harvest Moon- SNES- 800- 45 Blocks
Ys Book 1 and II- TG-16- 800- 273 Blocks
Kirby's Dream Course- SNES- 800- 41 Blocks
Sin and Punishment- N64- 1200- 287 Blocks
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link- NES- 500- 24 Blocks

WiiWare
Mega Man 9- 1000- 66 Blocks <- Considering I'm the guy who wrote and performed the Mega Man 9 song that has been passed around GAF on Youtube, I feel as though it is my duty to purchase this. :lol
Cubello- 600- 47 Blocks
World of Goo- 1500- 320 Blocks

Any recommendations on the list or is there something I haven't listed that I should get with my 6000 points? PS: My favorite genres are RPGs, Japanese Import Games, and Multiplayer.

BTW, here's what I already own:

Virtual Console:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Paper Mario
Donkey Kong Country 2
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Pokemon Puzzle League
Gunstar Heroes
Sim City
Bomberman '93
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Kirby's Adventure
Kid Icarus
Star Fox 64
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
F-Zero X
Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Metroid
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

WiiWare:

FFCC: My Life as a King
Defend Your Castle
Lost Winds
Dr. Mario Online RX

HELP!

bridegur said:
I was hoping we'd get Majora's Mask this week. What was the last N64 game released, anyway?
Wait, was there any indication that we would be getting MM soon? Because it that's the case, I'll save 1000 of my points just for that.

And thanks for the advice Tara, anyone else?

Ranger X

Wii Will Rock U said:
So anyway here's what I have been looking into purchasing with my 6000 points:

Virtual Console
Super Mario RPG- SNES- 800- 59 Blocks
Mega Man 2- NES- 500- 17 Blocks
Zelda: Ocarina of Time- N64- 1000- 286 Blocks
Mega Man 3- NES- 500- 20 Blocks
Mega Man- NES- 500- 15 Blocks
Super Fantasy Zone- Genesis- 900- 25 Blocks
JJ and Jeff- TG-16- 600- 23 BlocksActRaiser- SNES- 800- 44 Blocks
Star Parodier- TG-16- 900- 211 Blocks
Super Castlevania IV- SNES- 800- 42 Blocks
Cho Aniki- TG-16- 900- 143 Blocks
Pokemon Snap- N64- 1000- 159 Blocks <-Apparently this has Wiiconnect24 support? WTF?
Secret of Mana- SNES- 800- 33 Blocks
Gradius 2- TG-16- 900- 221 Blocks
Harvest Moon- SNES- 800- 45 Blocks
Ys Book 1 and II- TG-16- 800- 273 Blocks
Kirby's Dream Course- SNES- 800- 41 Blocks
Sin and Punishment- N64- 1200- 287 Blocks
Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link- NES- 500- 24 Blocks

WiiWare
Mega Man 9- 1000- 66 Blocks <- Considering I'm the guy who wrote and performed the Mega Man 9 song that has been passed around GAF on Youtube, I feel as though it is my duty to purchase this. :lol
Cubello- 600- 47 Blocks
World of Goo- 1500- 320 Blocks

I bolded some titles you should be awared of. Those games didn't age really well imo and you really should try them before buying (you know how do you :p)

As for the ones underlined, you shouldn't miss them for anything in the world and they totally aged greatly and totally fun.

There's also some gems on Wiiware that i don't see in your list:

Lost Wind -- A really nice platform/adventure. The feeling and style of the game is top notch.

Toki tori -- Original puzzler. Kinda lolo-style. It's very intelligent yet simple and fun. It's a must especially if you like not-traditional puzzle games.

Orbient -- You simply never played anything like this. It's also very hard to describe how and why it's awesome. You grow a planet in order to get big enough to put the "goal star" in orbit of your planet. You grow by colliding with smaller planets than you and you get points also by gathering sattelites around your planet. The way it's played you only control the gravity force. You repulse yourself from planets or attract yourself to them. It's the way you will change/correct your planet's direction in space in order to collect stuff.

Ranger X said:
Lost Winds -- A really nice platform/adventure. The feeling and style of the game is top notch.

I already own it, lol. Thanks for the recommendation though, I accidently left it off my "I Own This" but I now added it back in. :D

Moar suggestions people PLEASE!

bridegur

Wii Will Rock U said:
Wait, was there any indication that we would be getting MM soon? Because it that's the case, I'll save 1000 of my points just for that.

And thanks for the advice Tara, anyone else?

No, just wishful thinking combined with OoT's 10-year anniversary.

Ranger X

Wii Will Rock U said:
I already own it, lol. Thanks for the recommendation though, I accidently left it off my "I Own This" but I now added it back in. :D

Moar suggestions people PLEASE!

TG-16 stuff is also a bit hard to judge. There's some gems in there and games you shouldn't miss.

Alien Crush and Devil Crush --- Best console pinball game of all time imo. If you like tables with alot of bonuses and transformations, it's your game. The alien intestines looks is also quite unique. It's a must, really. There's even bosses!

Bonk series -- You should play them if you like platformers. It's right there after Mario and Sonic imo. Especially the second and third one. The first one is a bit cheap and the controls are rushing.

Neutopia series -- Zelda clones. Wait, it's the best Zelda clone ever. You want to play them.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Cosmonaut X said:
Nope, you're out of date there. They are now going to release the same version as the US got on WiiWare sometime in the next few months - no disc version.

I didn't know that. Excellent news.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Hey guys, I actually have found myself in quite a predicament. I have recently come across 6000 Wii Points and I really want to catch up on a lot of the stuff I missed over the past few months on VC (I've been so busy with all the new releases like LBP, Wii Music, Resistance 2, Gears 2, etc.)
*List*
HELP!
Why do you not have Toki Tori? Do you hate freedom?

Ranger X said:
Neutopia series -- Zelda clones. Wait, it's the best Zelda clone ever. You want to play them.
I'll look into those. How much do they cost?

nincompoop said:
Why do you not have Toki Tori? Do you hate freedom?
That was one of the games alot of people critically acclaimed that I completely missed. Might have to check it out.

Top Bottom