• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Wii Will Rock U said:
That was one of the games alot of people critically acclaimed that I completely missed. Might have to check it out.

It's the second-best WiiWare game, behind Mega Man 9. If you like puzzle games at all, you have to get Toki Tori.

Somnid said:
So Boogerman was bad? Never played it but it seemed at least a little popular when I was young.

It's okay, a perfectly decent platformer with a unique theme that some people may like and others won't. Fun, if nothing amazing, if you like platformers, and the Genesis version here is the better version. Really, I'd say the issue really is that it's another one game week, and those are always bad.

Ranger X said:
Neutopia series -- Zelda clones. Wait, it's the best Zelda clone ever. You want to play them.

Well, one of the better Zelda clones ever... my favorite Zelda clone is probably Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy, but yeah, the Neutopia games are good.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Cheesemeister said:
I handled it last year, and too many people were away from their systems during the holiday itself. What I'd want to do is have everyone list their country, price point willingness, and last available date with Wii access before Christmas. I'd then match up folks within their own country having a price threshold less than or equal to their own. The price point named would be the minimum, but overspending would also be acceptable. Two friend codes for each person again: one for Tiny Tim, and one for the Secret Santa. If we start early enough, unresponsive folks could be purged after a week.

Let's hurry up and get it started... I'm still voting for a $8-$1o price point.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
These SD transfer speeds are baffling me.

I got a SanDisk Wii 2GB SD card recently at Wal-Mart (clearance pile) -AND- a new 2GB PQI SD card.

Speed tests on my computer showed the PQI card to be faster than the SanDisk one.

Transferring 300 block games on the Wii, however, shows the SanDisk card to be DRAMATICALLY faster than the PQI one, which is odd, as the PQI card is faster on the computer.

I'm baffled.

JSnake said:
Ten bucks says Nintendo's gonna defy SE and release it later.

If it was VC then yeah maybe, they haven't done so for WW games so far though. Glad to see it at last, can't wait for this one, looks like it's great fun :D

Even better for me since I just got Space Invaders Extreme for the DS today, how very fitting :D

Okay so I have a follow-up to my suggestions question.

Specifically, I am in the mood to play games that have a very Japanese flavor or that may be import games. Which should I purchase with my 6000 points?

P.S.: Secret of Mana and Mega Man 1-3 and 9 are all high on my list.

Wii Will Rock U said:

Specifically, I am in the mood to play games that have a very Japanese flavor or that may be import games. Which should I purchase with my 6000 points?

If you want weird Japanese action, you can't go wrong with Cho Aniki. It's completely insane and it's meant to be a decent game too.

Sin & Punishment is a 100% must though, it's a Japanese import with a wacky story and absolutely amazing gameplay! Developed by Nintendo and Treasure!

Volcynika said:
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/11/24/space-invaders-get-even-lands-on-wiiware-next-week/

Space Invaders Get Even confirmed for next week. If you want to make a new thread about it, go for it!

Yessss. I have been saving my current 600 points for over a month just for this game. Hopefully we'll get it on time. Also, the R-Gray from Raystorm and the Twinhawk from Darius were confirmed back in August as playable ships! But I wonder if they're in the base pack? And 500 for each additional pack adds up quick. Oh the bittersweet sting of microtransactions.

Anyways, this week is the worst since the abysmal summer drought/pr-gate. As said before, who on earth at Interplay thought anyone was clamoring for Boogerman? Did that game even sell much? Talk about a terrible stopgap before EWJ 2.

Wii Will Rock U said:

Cho Aniki! Well, I like it anyway.

OK, just watched two video reviews on Youtube for Space Invaders Get Even. It's by a UK user named DEIVION212. Just type in the title of the game, they're the in the first handful of videos that come up. The first review is for the base pack, the second is for the add ons. The good news? Based on the review, if you're a Shmup fan and want a bite size change of pace, you will enjoy the game. The bad news? As the siliconera article said, the base pack is really short and just a tease. There are 3 other packs, each 500 points. So, to actually make the game worthwhile, prepare to drop 2,000 points (if it's even close to Extreme's quality it'll be worth it IMHO) for all the goodies, like cooler missions, Raystorm and Darius fighters, ect.

Even worse? The base game takes a hefty 314 blocks and all the add on content adds another 368! That's a total of 682 blocks! I have no idea if I'll be able to get it next week. I'll for sure have to delete Bomberman but I'm not sure that'll even make space for half the game! And you thought you wanted the SD update yesterday.

Anyways, to pre-empt some confusion on how this game plays. You use the remote 'n nunchuck. Z button gives you speed, C button does a sweet mega bomb attack (where a giant mother ship comes down Independence Day style, frying the battlefield), remote points at your target, A shoots. Your UFO gets a temp supply of invaders which are replenished by shaking the nunchuk. R-Gray ship looks great and has it's signature lock ons, Darius fighter has its trademark green wave shot.

Looks very playable, but thanks to hefty microtransactions and especially Nintendo's moronic lack of foresight on storage, it's gonna be a real cost on both the wallet and the 'ol fridgeroo to own. Well, hope this early info helps when decision making time arrives.

sfog

Star Parodier? It looks to match my taste but is it any good?

It's an excellent vertically scrolling shooter. It's kind of easy, but that could be taken as either a good or bad thing depending on your skill.

Jiggy

Out of your list I say go with:

Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 9 - My favorites of the classic MM games, in some order.
Star Parodier - Gameplay-wise I like its relatives Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade very slightly more, but this is still an excellent pick and becomes even moreso if you want general charm and wacky and all that.
Secret of Mana - Really great in co-op. Only a bit less great in single-player, even.
Ys Book I & II - I disagree with anybody who says it doesn't hold up. I played it for the first time on VC and still loved it, and think it's refreshing to have a game where enemies die by touching you.
Sin and Punishment - Very, very, very good rail shooter. Also, you mentioned wanting something Japanese and considering this game's story...

5700 points right there. Since you mentioned considering Neutopia, which I also really love, maybe skip out on Mega Man 2 or Ys for it, depending on whether you'd rather have three overhead action/adventure/RPGs (SoM, Ys, Neutopia) or three action platformers (MM2, 3, 9). :p

Thanks for all the help everyone, I made up my mind. What I am going to end up purchasing is:

Mega Man 2- 500
Mega Man 3- 500
Mega Man 9 with Protoman and Special Stage DLC- 1300
Sin and Punishment- 1200
Secret of Mana- 800
Star Parodier- 900
Super Mario RPG- 800

That comes out to an even 6000 points. I think I made the right choices everyone! Thanks for all your help!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wii Will Rock U said:
Thanks for all the help everyone, I made up my mind. What I ended up purchasing was:

Mega Man 2- 500
Mega Man 3- 500
Sin and Punishment- 1200
Secret of Mana- 800
Star Parodier- 900
Super Mario RPG- 800

That comes out to an even 6000 points. I think I made the right choices everyone! Thanks for all your help!
where the FUCK is World of Goo?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Maybe the question has already been answered, but how does PAL Megaman 3?

Mega Man 2 suffered from lack of optimization for 50Hz, resulting is slowed down gameplay AND music, and I think Mega Man 4 has that issue fixed, but what about Megaman 3? I just can't remember how the game runs on an actual PAL NES...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Give me...

cd5b729fd7a03a8c9b46f010._AA280_.L.jpg

soon, or give me death!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Wii Will Rock U said:
Umm...not there...is it really THAT good?

I mean it looks great but I don't know if its enough to justify the $15 price tag. Convince me.
The game is always giving you something new. It's not just 50 puzzles (levels). Each level is ingeniously designed, introducing a new mechanic for you to use, be it a new way to think about using the physics engine, a new Goo to use, a new combination of goo types to use, or just a crazy new level design (like having to build your Goo tower while spinning around in some kind of rotating apparatus).

combine this with OCDs (basically, challenges to beat a level wit ha certain numbero f moves, or save a certain number of goos, or beat the level in a certain time limit.) that are VERY difficult, and the Tower of Goo mode hwere you can try to build the biggest tower in an online leaderboard type system, and you have a very, very enjoyable, very polished experience.

There's a reason why the game has a score of 95 on metacritic. It's that damn good. Easily worth the 15 dollars on the Wii (or 20 dollars on Mac/PC) and then some.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Uncharted Waters is sweeeet.

I even enjoyed the original NES title despite the fact that it was bare bones in a lot of areas. New Horizons, on the other hand, is indeed fantastic. I'm glad to see it rated and hope it receives many more downloads than I suspect it will. Never played Nobunaga's Ambition; I wonder which version it will be.

I hope Koei eventually gets around to releasing Liberty or Death, which for my money is their most accessible and enjoyable war simulation on the Super Nintendo. And they better release Aerobiz Supersonic as well, I missed out during my younger days. Instant download there. :D

Update: I am now down to 3000 Points. I have officially purchased three games based on what recommendations I have received and I have been playing them all morning.

Those games wee:

World of Goo- 1500
Mega Man 9- 1000
Mega Man 2- 500

I'm so glad you guys talked me into buying World of Goo and I knew I would love MM9 and 2. So yeah, I am halfway through with spending my 6000 but I am once again at a loss for what I should pick up with the other half of my points.

Recently, it has been brought to my attention that I have never played Super Mario Bros. 2 so I might need to pick that up. Is that a good choice?

As for the other games I am interested in but still have not purchased yet:

Sin and Punishment- 1200
Super Mario RPG- 800
Secret of Mana- 800
Mega Man 3- 500
Zelda: Ocarina of Time- 1000 (It seems I no longer have my N64 cartridge so I am without the game)
Star Parodier- 900

GAH TOO MANY CHOICES! :O HELP!

Jiggy37 said:
Out of your list I say go with:

Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 9 - My favorites of the classic MM games, in some order.
Star Parodier - Gameplay-wise I like its relatives Super Star Soldier and Soldier Blade very slightly more, but this is still an excellent pick and becomes even moreso if you want general charm and wacky and all that.
Secret of Mana - Really great in co-op. Only a bit less great in single-player, even.
Ys Book I & II - I disagree with anybody who says it doesn't hold up. I played it for the first time on VC and still loved it, and think it's refreshing to have a game where enemies die by touching you.
Sin and Punishment - Very, very, very good rail shooter. Also, you mentioned wanting something Japanese and considering this game's story...

5700 points right there. Since you mentioned considering Neutopia, which I also really love, maybe skip out on Mega Man 2 or Ys for it, depending on whether you'd rather have three overhead action/adventure/RPGs (SoM, Ys, Neutopia) or three action platformers (MM2, 3, 9). :p

Neutopia is so not worth skipping Ys 1 & 2 or especially MM 2 over, though the latter he already bought. I'd personally leave it until later.

RpgN

GaimeGuy said:

Do The Mario said:
I second this.

I missed it on the N64.

<3

I'm sure Nintendo is working on it. They better be!

Speaking of Zelda, I couldn't help but buy The Legend of Zelda A link to the Past from VC today. I played the GBA port a few hours and didn't really like it. After many years, I try it again and surprisingly I'm hooked! I couldn't stop playing, almost 2 hours straight which is rare for me these days. Crazy how I didn't like it on the gba. Is the gba version different or something? It's like I'm playing a different game...Maybe it's better on the big screen?

Ranger X

Wii Will Rock U said:
Sin and Punishment- 1200
Secret of Mana- 800

Don't be a fool. You have the best Action RPG to ever grave the SNES right there + the best N64 game to ever give you a great 3D feel of Contra style.

BUY DEM.

sfog

The ESRB rated Nobunaga's Ambition, but there's three versions it could be. Which would be most likely?

I'd guess the SNES versions of both it and Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, considering that their only other VC release to date has been an SNES game. Plus, aside from the Interplay games and Nintendo's puzzle games, multiplatform titles have always been the SNES version first.

Capndrake said:
The ESRB rated Nobunaga's Ambition, but there's three versions it could be. Which would be most likely?

You know, I wonder whether Nobuanga's Ambition and Uncharted Waters are the Genesis versions of the games. The thought didn't occur to me until you asked your question. Now that they're winding down on first party titles, Sega is starting to gradually move on to 3rd party stuff - see the Capcom and Interplay releases. I wonder if they're giving developers a better cut on their titles than Nintendo is.

Edit:
dragonlife29 said:
Where is Castlevania III, though? :'(

Stuck in PAL Land currently. I'd be surprised if we didn't get it before 2009, although another Vectorman/Mega Man situation could rear its head I suppose.

Somnid

Capndrake said:

Any guess is good. I'd say that by output it's more likely to be an NES game as those are the easiest to pump out.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Recently, it has been brought to my attention that I have never played Super Mario Bros. 2 so I might need to pick that up. Is that a good choice?

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. But which one, the remake of Doki-Doki Panic or The Lost Levels? Both are great.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Update: I am now down to 3000 Points. I have officially purchased three games based on what recommendations I have received and I have been playing them all morning.

Those games wee:

World of Goo- 1500
Mega Man 9- 1000
Mega Man 2- 500

I'm so glad you guys talked me into buying World of Goo and I knew I would love MM9 and 2. So yeah, I am halfway through with spending my 6000 but I am once again at a loss for what I should pick up with the other half of my points.

As for the other games I am interested in but still have not purchased yet:

Sin and Punishment- 1200
Super Mario RPG- 800
Secret of Mana- 800
Mega Man 3- 500
Zelda: Ocarina of Time- 1000 (It seems I no longer have my N64 cartridge so I am without the game)
Star Parodier- 900

GAH TOO MANY CHOICES! :O HELP!

Should've picked Toki Tori before picking up World of Goo -- It's the same genre, but it's five bucks cheaper, it'll last you a lot longer, and the puzzles are more challenging and more thoughtfully designed.

RpgN said:
<3

I'm sure Nintendo is working on it. They better be!

Speaking of Zelda, I couldn't help but buy The Legend of Zelda A link to the Past from VC today. I played the GBA port a few hours and didn't really like it. After many years, I try it again and surprisingly I'm hooked! I couldn't stop playing, almost 2 hours straight which is rare for me these days. Crazy how I didn't like it on the gba. Is the gba version different or something? It's like I'm playing a different game...Maybe it's better on the big screen?

yeah, the big screen is what does it. a lot of games lose their magic when they're shrunk.

ElFly

Wii Will Rock U said:
Thanks for all the help everyone, I made up my mind. What I am going to end up purchasing is:

Mega Man 2- 500
Mega Man 3- 500
Sin and Punishment- 1200
Secret of Mana- 800
Star Parodier- 900
Super Mario RPG- 800

I think Megaman 9 with Hero and Super Hero mode is more bang for the buck.

Jiggy

cartman414 said:
Neutopia is so not worth skipping Ys 1 & 2 or especially MM 2 over, though the latter he already bought. I'd personally leave it until later.
I'd take MM2 over Neutopia also if it were just game-to-game, but in the context of someone with a limited number of points, who already had MM1 and was looking into three other Mega Man games as potential, any one of those becomes less a priority to recommend. At least in my mind.

Same reason that, for as much as I love Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, and Star Parodier and think they're all fantastic and some of the best purchases I've made on Wii, I wouldn't tell a person to buy all three at the expense of more variety. I'd say buy one, maybe two at most (with one of those being Star Parodier for its non-serious factor), and then go branch off into some other stuff.

Top Bottom