• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Euro 2008 Thread - No England, but still plenty of English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thriller

nl_vlag_copy1.jpg

Van der Sar is still the # 1 keeper in the world :p

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
prodystopian said:
Like in the last World Cup?

Someone had to say it

With a coach that incompetent you're arguing my point, not against it.

Big-E

Thriller said:
nl_vlag_copy1.jpg

Van der Sar is still the # 1 keeper in the world :p

Lies. Buffon is still number 1. Van der Sar is still awesome though. I remember when I was like 4 watching Ajax in the 90's dominate all of Europe. Its crazy that he is stil playing at a high level. Its a shame the Dutch and Italians are in the same group.

bone idle

Falch said:
It's grammatically correct, though it's Oranje with the -n. But really, I wouldn't say that out loud anywhere. :lol It's better to say something like: Lik mijn reet, moffen. ;)

Cheers.
I remember fights accross the the nl/west germany border during the 80's cups. My home was just there at the time. The Turkish folk that lived in Germany were backing the Dutch, and the Turkish folk that lived in NL were backing the Germans.:lol

Well, I guess I wish I was there instead of uk for this.

Manics

Banned
=GabrielKnight= said:
Forza Italia :)
OUR NEW CAPTAIN:

buffon.jpg

A wise choice my man. The tournament shall soon begin and no amount of other teams conspiring can keep Italia from winning this time. We were undefeated in Euro 2004 and were denied going through. This won't happen again. The Netherlands will be shaking in their collective wooden boots come Monday.

FabCam

Group C seems to be the one to watch. Seeing as England are out, I'm rooting for Span and Croatia. Also hope that the whole Portugal team self combust :D

Frenck said:
If we make it past the group stages we should make it to the final. The worst that could happen along the way would be a match against Portugal or the Czech republic.

We can't face Italy or France until we reach the final.

I like Germany's chances, I just couldn't believe someone would say that. It's not it happened 20 years ago. But judging by the rest of the post, he was just following the thread rules.

Edit:

QVT said:
With a coach that incompetent you're arguing my point, not against it.

I was wondering if you would have a reason for that. Nice.

I would have taken him as our coach when we were looking

sw26

Seeing as Scotland just missed out (we were screwed btw) and there's no anti-England option, I don't know who to support.

I guess I'll go with France, seeing as much like when we beat England at Wembley in 1967 and became unofficial World Champions, we can claim to be unofficial European champs if France win since they lost to us twice in qualifying.

Yeah.

Manics said:
A wise choice my man. The tournament shall soon begin and no amount of other teams conspiring can keep Italia from winning this time. We were undefeated in Euro 2004 and were denied going through. This won't happen again. The Netherlands will be shaking in their collective wooden boots come Monday.

I won't predict anything

I know Italy is 10 times better than the Netherlands, but in tournaments like this everything is possible

hc2

Manics said:

The Italian politicians have probably already sold the championship to the Germans. I mean what's a cup and national pride compared to a million euros?

Manics

Banned
Karakand said:
yesssssssssssssss Manics is here

FREE FORZAITALIA

Our fallen brother is in bondage. We need Forza back after he was wrongly convicted. A harsh judgment to be sure.

GrayFoxPL

spyshagg said:

I always wonder if Portugal football fans generaly like or dislike Ronaldo?

Man, weekend will be dynamite. Those players must wank like crazy monkeys the night before match. I don't believe they can withstand the excitment.

Do boju Polsko!

/waves Polish flag

Manics

Banned
hc2 said:
The Italian politicians have probably already sold the championship to the Germans. I mean what's a cup and national pride compared to a million euros?

I really think the Germans would have paid more to have the tournament sold while they were playing on home soil in the World Cup. Instead, we Italians handed them their collective asses in front of a shocked nation. Forza Italia!

Falch

Big-E said:
Lies. Buffon is still number 1. Van der Sar is still awesome though. I remember when I was like 4 watching Ajax in the 90's dominate all of Europe. Its crazy that he is stil playing at a high level. Its a shame the Dutch and Italians are in the same group.

Nah. Casillas is the best keeper in the world right now.

I hope the final is Turkey vs Russia

I will be supporting Croatia.

I will be strongly opposed to Italy, Netherlands and France, in that order.

Batongen

Banned
Go Liverpo... ehrm, sorry, GO SWEDEN!

Great first post Karakand, I guess the rest of the board will have to put up with some "classic"
drunken batongen posts, yes, I like to talk about myself in third person, whenever Sweden play.

Zapages

I hope Turkey wins it all. :)

But that's never going to happen... Is it?

Its most likely be some other country like France/Germany/or some other team...

jts

...hate me...
I'm supporting Portugal of course, being Portuguese and all... but with England out I don't think we stand a chance.

Hootie

Italy GET.

Also you forgot to put "calcio" in the list of names for football in all the different languages.

Karakand

Zapages said:
I hope Turkey wins it all. :)

But that's never going to happen... Is it?

Its most likely be some other country like France/Germany/or some other team...
Don't be completely hopeless, Euro can be a pretty bizarre tournament. 2 out of the last 4 champs have been pretty WTF. Mighty Italia only has a single title. Etc.

It is probably for the best if you DON'T plan any parades, however.

CassSept

GrayFoxPL said:
I always wonder if Portugal football fans generaly like or dislike Ronaldo?

Man, weekend will be dynamite. Those players must wank like crazy monkeys the night before match. I don't believe they can withstand the excitment.

Do boju Polsko!

/waves Polish flag
large_flag_of_poland.gif

Too bad we probably wont win it :/
After this I prolly will go for Netherlands or Czech Republic (unless either of these eliminte us)

Do boju Polsko!

Eric_S

Any preliminary guesses to how the groups will end up?

My guesses, based mostly on baseless speculation and random guesswork:

Group A

1 Portugal (I'm predicting this to be a close group, but Ronaldo falling in the penalty box at "well choosen times" will secure the number one spot for portugal.)

2 Turkey (Good offence / defence, kind of like ...)

3 Czech Republic ( ...the Czech, who will be screwed over by said Ronaldo fallin in the panalty box at "well choosen times".)

4 Switzerland (Just a number smaller than the others. But don't worry, beer will be available in plentifull supply as you'll be one of the hosting nations.)

Group B

1 Germany (Will end up first in this group, but...)

2 Croatia (...Croatia will be right behind them at the same amount of points. Could be a dark horse.)

3 Poland (Poland will play decently, but that's not enough to get through unfortunately.)

4 Austria (Awsome home support! Unfortunately it didn't help much.)

Group C

1 Netherlands (I'm hoping that they'll start off with a strong first game and keep the pace throughout the tournament.)

2 Italy (They'll make it, somehow, someway.)

3 Romania (Will suprise, but not enough to make a difference.)

4 France (There will be fantastic matches in this group, but somebody's got to get the short end of the stick in the end. This time it's France's turn.)

Group D

1 Russia (I'm hoping that they could be a dark horse this time around.)

2 Greece (Their solid defence will get them through.)

3 Spain (Spain will continue being, um, very spanish this tourny by under preforming. Much to both mine and any sane fotball fans dismay.)

4 Sweden (la suède, aucuns points</babelfish eurovision fako french>. No really, we suck Epic Ass. ;_; )

zon

SVERIGE SVERIGE FOSTERLAAAAAAAND

Too bad we'll only make it to the quarter finals at best :lol

After that I'll be rooting for the Netherlands if they're still around

8bit

Knows the Score
I've been living in Basel for 8 years, yet this is the first time I've seen the city really come to life. It's usually a sleepy little place with little time for the outside world, but now it seems raring to go.

Oh, and another thing. Cuckoo clocks aren't Swiss, they're from the Black forest originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom