• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Euro 2008 Thread - No England, but still plenty of English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles

Forza Italia!

_41848160_piero_getty300.jpg

+
p1_cassano_getty.jpg

+
178925375_fde36caa37.jpg

=
euro_championship_trophy_tr.jpg
?

J2d

Cool Hand Luke said:
Time for Sweden to show the world what the game of Fußball is all about!
Yea I'd be happy if they make more than one goal this tourney honestly. Make it something like this.

Charles

Now that I'm looking at the groups there are exactly 0 good games in the first round that aren't in group c. Good seeding system Uefa!

Has GAF got a fantasy league going on?

I usually would support England, but since they are not partaking I will be supporting Germany because my girlfriend is German.

Will also be supporting Spain (Cesc and Torres) and Sweden (Ljunberg).

Omikaru

Seeing as if I'm Welsh I can't really talk, but I laughed my arse off when England didn't get in. To be honest, I thought ITV would sell the broadcast rights to Channel 5 because I seriously didn't think anyone would give a damn about it after that.

Oh well. How wrong was I? :lol

I'd normally support England (and being who I am, still laugh when they lose in the semis or something) but seeing as if they're not in it I'm not supporting anyone. Well, maybe France. All I hope is that Portugal gets knocked out pretty quickly. Nothing against Portugal, but I hate Ronaldo; he's a world class player, but he's also a world class asshole too.

Karakand

8bit said:
Oh, and another thing. Cuckoo clocks aren't Swiss, they're from the Black forest originally.
It appears you have found an interesting loophole in my law.

I was quoting The Third Man there, so you're not correcting me, you're correcting whoever wrote that.

The point still stands that you're missing the forest for the trees. The Swiss have had a pretty swell domestic history but globally they are noteworthy for almost nothing except holding other peoples' money, chocolate (which they came in control of because of their banking), watchmaking and small arms manufacture. Definitely not a CV that will get them a big chunk in the annals of world history.

Charles said:
Has GAF got a fantasy league going on?
No but if you'd like to start one I will link it in the OP with instructions on how to join.

A pick 'em league would also be pretty cool.

Karakand

velvet_nitemare said:
Portugal seems to be the most hated team on here. I'm not crazy about them myself .
I hated them last Euro because I knew a Portuguese girl at the time who was one of those obnoxious casual fans of the team.

In Greece I trusted. In Greece I was delivered.

This year I don't really care either way since I haven't talked to her in forever.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Go Turkey aka Türkiye!!!!

TURK-BAYRAGi.gif

With a really smart design choice....turquoise uniforms!

00314460.jpg

And just in case they fuck up...which they will likely do. Here is my back up country!

Hup Holland!

nederlandse%20vlag.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Go Portugal! Haters be damned!

Actually, we get somewhat embarassed about some of the Ronaldo antics, but as long as the results appear, it's all good and well.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Myke Greywolf said:
Go Portugal! Haters be damned!

Actually, we get somewhat embarassed about some of the Ronaldo antics, but as long as the results appear, it's all good and well.

Ronaldo is really going to tear us a new one this Saturday. I have no idea who is going to cover him (we have nobody...our becks are too small). My best guess is that they are going to put Hamit Altintop on him...ugh.

WARCOCK

Banned
Hooker said:
Nah, just fed up with everything England in the normal footie thread. Don't need it in here...
Seconded. Let this thread be about more then the epl gaf clique plz lolz.

Forza azzuri sempre.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Is Figo in Portugal's team anymore?

Anyway, I have no favourite at all. I'll watch it for the spectacle or whatever, but it makes no difference to me who wins.

I hate Portugal and Italy. That goddamn Materazzi, fucking piece of shit. Some other guys of the Italian team suck too. Same for Christiano Ronaldo and some of his fellow players. Disgusting these two teams.

WingM@n

I support Holland

First game against Italy, not sure but I think the Dutch beat them.
I just heard Fabio Cannavaro(Italy) won't play this tournament, that sucks for Italy.

I expect Germany to win this tournament..

Karakand

I am OFFICIALLY hating on Germany and Russia. No offense but you fuckers have wrecked my family tree's shit off the pitch for a couple too many years to avoid this.

I am UNOFFICIALLY hating on the Netherlands and Spain under the Beautiful Football clause. I fucking hate that cliche and the lopsided work ethic it is meant to conceal.

Lakitu said:
Torres and Villa up front, never fear :)

You have to be fucking kidding me... (Rafa,no me jodas! :lol )

Villa did an awful year on the Valencia.

Raul should be there instead, I have more faith in Güiza actually.

But our best player is:

b_PARADON_b_Iker_Casillas.jpg

BEST GOALKEEPER IN THE WORLD!!!

Ryck

Relaxed Muscle said:
You have to be fucking kidding me... (Rafa,no me jodas! :lol )

Villa did an awful year on the Valencia.

But our best player is:

http://www.as.com/recorte/20070924dasdasftb_14/XLCO/Ies/b_PARADON_b_Iker_Casillas.jpg[IMG]

[B]BEST GOALKEEPER IN THE WORLD!!![/B][/QUOTE]Raul is not even on the squad...

tenga poquito fe

As an American (of Hispanic descent) I watch Euro football with no allegiance to any country. :(

Maybe I'll go for La Furia Roja.

Karakand

WingM@n said:
Us crazy Dutch people like to show our support everywhere...
There was a thread a while back about how the OP didn't understand why people got into sports.

I should bump it by posting these pics. (Especially that first one!)

zon

Cool Hand Luke said:
I'd rather have them repeat something like this.

Or maybe this

It would be great to see goals like these by Henke and Zlatan during the Euro Cup

Henke

Zlatan

It's a shame that most of our midfielders and defenders aren't even half as good skillwise, Henke and Zlatan never gets the kind of support they need when we play against some of the better countries.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Relaxed Muscle said:
BEST GOALKEEPER IN THE WORLD!!!

More like best ever if he keeps this up.

He is so much the best there is not even anyone close anymore.

QVT

hadareud said:
you're losing it QVT

while probably true he just had the best season i've ever seen and you don't watch spain so

you're going to see him lift a trophy this summer if villa, torres, and fabregas can manage to score just 5 goals.

QVT

striKeVillain! said:
Who does everyone think the Golden Boot will go to?

It will not be a big team guy I don't think. Someone will score a hat trick against laustria and then a goal or two in the other game and be eliminated and that'll be it.

Eeikod

Come on, don't bring that shit here too. Villa scored as much goals as Raul (18) while Valencia was extremely inferior and in crisis (they nearly descended to 2nd division) and R.Madrid had a great year. Villa scored in his last 2 matches with Spain, so why should Raul be there? Oh, and Villa took less penalties and was injured for some time this season.
As much as Raul did for Spain in the past, his time has gone. Yes, he had a fine season, but any decent striker could be doing better at R.Madrid.

Villa, 18 goals (1pk) 2139 minutes= 118

Raúl, 18 goals (3pk) 3261 minutes= 181

I actually liked Raul some years ago, even when he missed that pk against France, it's just the spanish press like Marca and their bullshit on this topic that made me loathe him lately.

Paulokj

GrayFoxPL said:
I always wonder if Portugal football fans generaly like or dislike Ronaldo?

Man, weekend will be dynamite. Those players must wank like crazy monkeys the night before match. I don't believe they can withstand the excitment.

Do boju Polsko!

/waves Polish flag

This season i think many many who disliked Ronaldo here in Portugal, are now supporters! 41 goals in one season for a winger? F*** ! But still my father dislikes him, he always dislikes what majority in portugal likes. For Example he hates now Figo and Mourinho, but when Mourinho was in FCPorto, off course he liked.

Portugal has a fantastic Midfield :

Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
Simao Sabrosa (Atletic Madrid)
Ricardo Quaresma (FCPorto)
Nani (Man Utd)

the first two are the first team, but i prefer Quaresma. But Quaresma and Ronaldo in the same team is dangerous, the two are very similar in their play!

Like others portuguese here, i keep my hopes low, but we will always cheer. Just look to the reception in Switzerland. UNBELIEVABLE

DCharlie

Banned
though i'll most likely be supporting portugual due to the wife being half Portuguese, i'd have to say....

Nani (Man Utd) - i've seen him have one good game, and i'm completely unimpressed. He's more likely to be a liability and get himself sent off. The other three midfielders are good, but it'll be interesting to see how Portugal put it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom