• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Euro 2008 Thread - No England, but still plenty of English

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

C_71_article_1047066_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

3774.jpg

HIS SPIRIT LIVES ON. GO FRANCE

nitewulf

love France and will support as primary, but will support spain as backup (fabregas, torres) and i love watching holland, and also looking forward to portugal and how ronaldo stacks up in international competitions.

besiktas1

Is this flag big enough?

Turkiye.gif

Watch us beat portugal!

- Hakan Sukur (we have Nihat instead)
previewkt0.jpg

And the Future.

442641452.jpg

I'll post my predictions and try to have a detailed post about turkey (for those 2 who give a shit), it's late I'm going bed try not troll too much while I sleep :p

woodchuck

fuuuuuuuck

there's no Group C matches on the weekend.

i think i'm going to take a sick day on the 17th:

France/Italy
Holland/Romania

Tristam

Guileless said:
Has Ireland done anything internationally since the '94 WC? I remember how funny all those pale Irish guys looked playing in those hot as hell day games.

Eh? You mentioned WC 2002 in your post. They got to the round of 16; it wasn't as good as their quarterfinal appearance in WC 90 -- but who cares? -- WC 90 was dismal and the Irish side were incredibly fun to watch in 2002. I don't know how Germany screwed Ireland over in 2002 anyway -- the Irish side were the only ones besides Brazil to score on them.

I'll be rooting for Germany myself. They showed they still have tremendous talent in WC 06 (compared to their abysmal play in WC 02. Results don't mean you're the best.), and Lahm is one of my favorite players at the club and international levels.

But who has ever seen a tougher group of death in a Euro tournament? Jesus, France, Italy, Netherlands, and Romania.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
:lol Great OP Karakand. Fuck that MGS4 thread off, this thread is destined for greatness!

I'm still not sided on which side to support. The sides I want to support are in the Group of Death so I'm literally fucked. Go Italy and go Holland!

Falch

f@luS said:
benzematv180907.jpg

The best player in the tournament. You will see. Trust

I haven't seen much of him since I don't really follow Ligue 1. Can't wait to see him in action.

Just hoping he has an off-day against Holland.

Anth

As a German, I'll have to root for Germany.

Friendlies have been fairly shitty, but Germans have always been best when it counts. We are already off to a good start, by not getting into the group of certain doom.

GrayFoxPL

CassSept said:
large_flag_of_poland.gif

Too bad we probably wont win it :/
After this I prolly will go for Netherlands or Czech Republic (unless either of these eliminte us)

Do boju Polsko!

Good old polish optimism! :lol

Let's face it, we just have to beat Germany to feel like we've won it all. :D

Don't know why, but I have warm feelings toward Turkey team this time. Hope they'll do good.

Paulokj said:
This season i think many many who disliked Ronaldo here in Portugal, are now supporters! 41 goals in one season for a winger? F*** ! But still my father dislikes him, he always dislikes what majority in portugal likes. For Example he hates now Figo and Mourinho, but when Mourinho was in FCPorto, off course he liked.

Portugal has a fantastic Midfield :

Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)
Simao Sabrosa (Atletic Madrid)
Ricardo Quaresma (FCPorto)
Nani (Man Utd)

the first two are the first team, but i prefer Quaresma. But Quaresma and Ronaldo in the same team is dangerous, the two are very similar in their play!

Like others portuguese here, i keep my hopes low, but we will always cheer. Just look to the reception in Switzerland. UNBELIEVABLE

I'm lot like your dad. :lol. In more broad meaning. Not in exact Football sense.

Manics

Banned
Powerslave said:
I hate Portugal and Italy. That goddamn Materazzi, fucking piece of shit. Some other guys of the Italian team suck too. Same for Christiano Ronaldo and some of his fellow players. Disgusting these two teams.

Powerslave said:
ban italy & portugal

My oh my. 2 hate filled posts on one page. Portgual I can understand but Italia? My glorious, wonderful homeland? We brought the world pizza, pasta and world class football. Stop the hating already, it just makes you look foolish.

You can understand Portugal (you're not from Portugal) but not the hate against Italy (you are from Italy) ?????
What a shock! I wonder your reasoning hmmmm.....

Still can't figure it out.

Manics

Banned
Powerslave said:
You can understand Portugal (you're not from Portugal) but not the hate against Italy (you are from Italy) ?????
What a shock! I wonder your reasoning hmmmm.....

Still can't figure it out.

Peace brother, allow me to give you a gift to repair any ill will between us:

29vjx2a.jpg

Oh man I'm so mad right now. I don't care that they won, I hate their sneaky and dishonest way of playing. No fucking cup is gonna save the shitty reputation Italy has.

Manics

Banned
Powerslave said:
Oh man I'm so mad right now. I don't care that they won, I hate their sneaky and dishonest way of playing. No fucking cup is gonna save the shitty reputation Italy has.

Let go the hate my man. What nation are you supporting in this Euro tournament?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Manics said:
Let go the hate my man. What nation are you supporting in this Euro tournament?

Italy's players all getting the shit beat out of them and left on the side of the road

Paulokj

GrayFoxPL said:
Good old polish optimism! :lol

Let's face it, we just have to beat Germany to feel like we've won it all. :D

Don't know why, but I have warm feelings toward Turkey team this time. Hope they'll do good.

I'm lot like your dad. :lol. In more broad meaning. Not in exact Football sense.

Good Luck to Polska, you were for sure the best team in our group, and for me was the most exciting qualifying group, and that game in Lisbon, that 2-2 was great match :)

Many will be surprised by your performance in this tournament! Nobody should underestimate Poland!

Tristam

Manics said:
My oh my. 2 hate filled posts on one page. Portgual I can understand but Italia? My glorious, wonderful homeland? We brought the world pizza, pasta and world class football. Stop the hating already, it just makes you look foolish.

lol, "Italy," "football," and "class." That juxtaposition must surely be coincidence. The classic Italian match: put a goal in (if you can't manage that, dive for an assured goal) then play an 11-0-0 lineup. Truly world class football.

Tristam said:
lol, "Italy," "football," and "class." That juxtaposition must surely be coincidence. The classic Italian match: put a goal in (if you can't manage that, dive for an assured goal) then play an 11-0-0 lineup. Truly world class football.

translation: envy

GrayFoxPL

Paulokj said:
Good Luck to Polska, you were for sure the best team in our group, and for me was the most exciting qualifying group, and that game in Lisbon, that 2-2 was great match :)

Many will be surprised by your performance in this tournament! Nobody should underestimate Poland!

Thanks man! Wish there was more this kind of optimism between my country men. Yeah, matches with Portugal were awesome and exciting. You'll most likely win your group with ease. Who know maybe we'll meet at later stage. :D I hope for both our teams!

I'm also dying to know who'll not make it in the "death group". I mean whoever it'll be - great teams are going down!

Edit: Why this thread isn't sticked? US GAF please understand how important this time is for EURO GAF :(.

I support Italy of course, being Italian

but I'd like to root also for another team... I'd like Spain, but I hate when their papers always say they are the best, they are the strongest, but then achieve nothing

I like the Czech... they can be my 2nd team :)

Tristam said:

What you say would be right if Italy never won anything, but since our side has won 4 (four) world cups, that means something... maybe the way they play it's just right, correct, intelligent...

aniway... that's not even true anymore, Italy plays a lot forward

GrayFoxPL said:
Thanks man! Wish there was more this kind of optimism between my country men. Yeah, matches with Portugal were awesome and exciting. You'll most likely win your group with ease. Who know maybe we'll meet at later stage. :D I hope for both our teams!

I'm also dying to know who'll not make it in the "death group". I mean whoever it'll be - great teams are going down!

Edit: Why this thread isn't sticked? US GAF please understand how important this time is for EURO GAF :(.

I'm American and I like football. We do exist.

So what do you guys think about Romania's chances? Could be the most underrated team in the tournament imo. Took 4 points against Holland in the qualifiers too.

GrayFoxPL

prodystopian said:
I'm American and I like football. We do exist.
I must take your picture or people won't believe me. No but really, I'm asking mods to stick it.

Cool Hand Luke said:
So what do you guys think about Romania? Could be the most underrated team in the tournament imo. Took 4 points against Holland in the qualifier too.

People seem to forget how good they are. I'm pretty sure it'll be one of the teams that'll pass death group.

GrayFoxPL said:
I must take your picture or people won't believe me. No but really, I'm asking mods to stick it.

Would be good if it got stickied. Are you on IGN's DMC board? I was there for a while after DMC3 but haven't been in a while.

About the American thing, I was watching the last WC at my university's international student lounge because they had a nice setup. I was talking with some guys from Germany and when they asked me where I'm from I said my hometown which was ~2 hours from my university. Their response:

"So you're American? Why are you watching football?"

Hooker

Cool Hand Luke said:
So what do you guys think about Romania's chances? Could be the most underrated team in the tournament imo. Took 4 points against Holland in the qualifiers too.
They are criminally underrated by most. But what can you expect with the other 3 teams being in the FIFA Top10. I'm quite scared of them actually, but not as much as Italy or France. Still, all 4 of the teams can progress, it will depend on the form of the day I reckon.

And I think being underrated had something to do with the recognisability, or lack thereof, of the Romanian players. Whereas a lot of the players from Italy, France and Holland play for the biggest teams in Football.

GrayFoxPL

prodystopian said:
Would be good if it got stickied. Are you on IGN's DMC board? I was there for a while after DMC3 but haven't been in a while.

About the American thing, I was watching the last WC at my university's international student lounge because they had a nice setup. I was talking with some guys from Germany and when they asked me where I'm from I said my hometown which was ~2 hours from my university. Their response:

"So you're American? Why are you watching football?"

Nope, not from IGN. Well, American football fans are still rarity, thou you team is getting better and better.

So, you have a match with Spain tonight, right? I thinking of betting some money on USA :D.

GrayFoxPL said:
Nope, not from IGN. Well, American football fans are still rarity, thou you team is getting better and better.

So, you have a match with Spain tonight, right? I thinking of betting some money on USA :D.

We have a match with Spain starting in 2.5 hours! And you would be braver than I am. If it were some other time I might be more confident, but England just beat us pretty handily and Spain are in final prep for Euro. I'm hoping for a good showing, though.

We play Argentina Sunday night and I'll be there. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom