• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

okay heres another question for you guys: at the beginning of the game, i accidentally pressed my magic button when i was at the bookstore and got arrested/forced to do community service. anyway, i tried going back to the store to buy some books but it was closed (the door was red), so i ended up saving enough money to buy it, thinking that when i did, the owner would be there again so i could buy books. i buy the store, and the owner still isnt there. did i end up killing him? will i never be able to buy another book for the rest of the game?

Cipher

Unless you had the safety off the shop owner should be fine. My guess is that the shop is not open and he's sleeping. Sleep for 6 hours and try again.

I just upgraded to level 3 in Brutality and I am supposed to string together fluid combos
looking for "slight visual hints". I keep watching as I am fighting guys and I dont see anything
what I am supposedly looking for?

BruceLeeRoy said:
what I am supposedly looking for?
Weapon trails will turn blue if you get the rhythm right for chain attack combos. You can try it when no one is around and take a look at your swings.

Cornballer said:
Weapon trails will turn blue if you get the rhythm right for chain attack combos. You can try it when no one is around and take a look at your swings.

Its not dependent on actually connecting hits then? Thanks man.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its not dependent on actually connecting hits then? Thanks man.
Nope. You can get the achievement (full chain combo or something like that) by just swinging your weapon around in an open field if you want.

Darunia said:
hey you still need that gold or are you all right? never got a FR

Oh hey man. Yeah I just started over again and just spent a hour getting back to where I was it
was no biggie. Thanks again for the offer though that was really cool of you.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
3 hours wasted on this game. And It's awesome :lol

I am not impressed by the graphics, though the lightning is great. Anyway, I worked my ass off as a Blacksmith and purchased 3 stalls right off the bat so I have a steady income. Shut the console off, will come back after I am done with some papers for tomorrow.

I am liking this more than Oblivion due to the simple fact that I can buy ANYTHING. BTW... I wasted nearly 30 minutes trying to have sex but it didn't work =P. Tips?

Fredescu

Relix said:
BTW... I wasted nearly 30 minutes trying to have sex but it didn't work =P. Tips?
If you get propositioned, use thumbs up. Otherwise, you need Come Back to My Place which you should be able to buy from a book store.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Relix said:
3 hours wasted on this game. And It's awesome :lol

I am not impressed by the graphics, though the lightning is great. Anyway, I worked my ass off as a Blacksmith and purchased 3 stalls right off the bat so I have a steady income. Shut the console off, will come back after I am done with some papers for tomorrow.

I am liking this more than Oblivion due to the simple fact that I can buy ANYTHING. BTW... I wasted nearly 30 minutes trying to have sex but it didn't work =P. Tips?

Go to the bookstore, in bowerstone market, and you have to buy this book...I forgot what it's called but read the description, you need to get the 'come back to my place' expression that you can use.

Some girls will require you to be married, which means you have to buy a house to set as your marriage home. Some of them will be willing to hit it though without marriage, usually is the married ones lol.

I love the game, I dont know if I like this or Fallout 3 as my GOTY but I'm leaning towards this after putting 52 hours into Fallout 3. This game just does so much and allows you to make so many choices.

It is one of the few games which I'll replay again just to make different choices, mainly be a good character. I think the last time a game hooked me like this was KOTOR 1

edit beaten

also, I recommend installing it to the hard drive...it runs and looks so much better imo

I just deleted all the halo maps and the cod4 maps, worth it imo I'll redownload that crap later

Banned
Review by 666: Finished the main story, I liked this game a lot. The end.

I got 15 men and women, professionals and amateurs, into my bed at once for some unprotected orgy lovin'. No STDs. I'm jesus.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try later. I did buy the book, but I tried to make them sleep with me in a bed in an inn or something :lol Anyway, the first thing I did was install it to the HD. Everything is smooth and perfect. Is there SUCH a difference between HD and DVD loading on this game?

Fredescu

Relix said:
Anyway, the first thing I did was install it to the HD. Everything is smooth and perfect. Is there SUCH a difference between HD and DVD loading on this game?
The difference is fairly noticable. The biggest difference though is not the loading between levels but the constant drive reads while you're in a level. Without the HD install the DVD drive really gets hammered.

jlh

Is there a consensus on the easiest job available to max out. I'm trying to get that artisan achievement but from my first aborted playthrough I realized that I hate blacksmithing with a passion.

On my real playthroughs of the game I made a million in gold running my on Bowerstone import/export business (and being a slumlord) before I went to meet Theresa. So by the time I stepped into the town square to start her countdown I already owned every house in Bowerstone Market, Old Town and the gypsy camp so I never needed to do any of the jobs to make money.

But now that I'm finished with the game it would be nice to pick up some more achievements before the dlc comes out. I thought the bounty hunter job would be just the thing but it doesn't seem to increase in level or maybe I didn't do enough of them.

Fredescu

jlh said:
Is there a consensus on the easiest job available to max out. I'm trying to get that artisan achievement but from my first aborted playthrough I realized that I hate blacksmithing with a passion.
Probably Bartending. Blacksmithing is pretty hard in comparison.

As I got my xbox back I dived right back into Fable 2 and was greeted with a big pile of cash. :lol Also started an evil replay with a chick. The hotpants corset combination is pleasantly distracting. ;-)

I <3 Chesty. Poor guy just wanted friends.

jlh said:
I did it on wood chopping, but that took a while. Bartending might be the easiest one as long as you don't lose focus.
AndersTheSwede said:
I <3 Chesty. Poor guy just wanted friends.
Truth. That quest was hilarious.

jlh

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It looks like I'll be spending the next few days playing bartender and waiting for word on the dlc release.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
1) Got married before going on the ship.

I think I have done most subquests that automatically appear before you hit the ship. Any clue on where I might get some more before continuing the story? I am playing this game like a businessman... I work, buy, work, buy. So far I have been renting 2 hours and have like 5 stalls plus a library.

So far so good... :lol

Beq

Neo Member
I got the have sex with more than 1 person achievement, when I went to have sex with my new wife and my baby was in the room. So wrong, but so right.

Is there any way to clear some of redoable quests from your log? It's the neatfreak in me, but I wanted to be able to take stuff like The Crucible and The Sculptor out of my active quest list after I'd 'completed' them. I never even bothered with the shooting range because I figured it'd be the same way.

farnham

Banned
so i beated the game and i feel amazed yet kinda sad

the game did so many things right

the building buying is great

the economy aspect is broken yet fun

the combat system is really good and three button fighting really works

but there is just so little there

only three to four main towns.. not that many clothes to buy.. not that many weapons..

it could have been so much better its really sad

the story is good and the three heros have all great personalities (especially reaver) but the main quest is so short that you dont really experience them much..

i definately will play the game again as bad though after i get some achievements

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Die Squirrel Die said:
Is there any way to clear some of redoable quests from your log? It's the neatfreak in me, but I wanted to be able to take stuff like The Crucible and The Sculptor out of my active quest list after I'd 'completed' them. I never even bothered with the shooting range because I figured it'd be the same way.

I hated that too. Alas, there is no way to clear those off the list

jlh

farnham said:
so i beated the game and i feel amazed yet kinda sad

the game did so many things right

the building buying is great

the economy aspect is broken yet fun

the combat system is really good and three button fighting really works

but there is just so little there

only three to four main towns.. not that many clothes to buy.. not that many weapons..

it could have been so much better its really sad

the story is good and the three heros have all great personalities (especially reaver) but the main quest is so short that you dont really experience them much..

i definately will play the game again as bad though after i get some achievements

I agree with what you're saying about the bare bones feeling in the game. The entire time I was playing I just kept thinking that this game was made with future DLC in mind. I expect to see a lot more areas of Albion plus clothes and weapons and assorted other game world goodies added through dlc. I hope that they also find a way to bring back the other three heroes to meet up with our Hero on some additional adventures.

If Lionhead/MS are smart they could capitalize on this game in the same way EA pimps out The Sims. Smaller packs of game stuff to buy at a regular pace (weekly would be my dream) plus bigger expansions coming out at a regular clip adding to the overall world and/or refining the gameplay.

Ponn

Banned
So my game completly glitched 20 hours in at the very end of the hero of will quest. Completely stuck. So yea, screw this. You suck Peter, test your games, leave the Lets ship buggy games and patch them later attitude to the PC realm. I'm seriously thinking of trading this in tomorrow for Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm just getting into the game and I think my first order of business is to spend all my early money on stalls and houses. I'm wondering if you can get rich quick with enough work.

So far, I think Microsoft needs to stick this franchise on the same level as Halo. The next Fable needs to get the same size media push and budget IMO.

Im pretty fucking angry right now :| .... basicaly i cant get all the keys in this game, and so i cant open the 50 key chest, and cant get the achievemnt (well i can get that from watching someone else i guess, but its not the same). I chose the "needs of one" (which was shit anyway,
a million gold? who cares i have 6 anyway, and nothing left to buy !
) so now
my dog is dead, and i cant dig for a key in Bowerstone or Rookridge (not sure how i missed the rookridge one during the game, but oh well ) ... so even this fabled 51st key (that i cant find anyway) in wraithmarsh wont help.

ive put so much time into this game, loved every minute of it, but now im fucked because i didnt read gamefaqs before the end of the game? ARGGGGGGGGGG

so sad :(

me Jojo

Nobiru said:
Im pretty fucking angry right now :| .... basicaly i cant get all the keys in this game, and so i cant open the 50 key chest, and cant get the achievemnt (well i can get that from watching someone else i guess, but its not the same). I chose the "needs of one" (which was shit anyway,
) so now
my dog is dead, and i cant dig for a key in Bowerstone or Rookridge (not sure how i missed the rookridge one during the game, but oh well ) ... so even this fabled 51st key (that i cant find anyway) in wraithmarsh wont help.

ive put so much time into this game, loved every minute of it, but now im fucked because i didnt read gamefaqs before the end of the game? ARGGGGGGGGGG

Lol, I have the exact same problem. But apparently
you can resurrect your beloved ones in the upcoming DLC.

GhaleonEB

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm just getting into the game and I think my first order of business is to spend all my early money on stalls and houses. I'm wondering if you can get rich quick with enough work.

So far, I think Microsoft needs to stick this franchise on the same level as Halo. The next Fable needs to get the same size media push and budget IMO.
I wouldn't mind seeing that at all, though I hope they give them enough time to polish a bit more; this is rough around the edges. A couple of months would have made a big difference, though it would have been less ideal from a timing standpoint.

Oh, and this just got GOTY from X-Play, so (somewhat dubious) congrats, Lionhead.

winalot

Nobiru said:
) so now

Have you tried using the spade from your inventory on the exact spot in the ground? Just an idea, no idea if it will work.

Infamypack said:
Lol, I have the exact same problem. But apparently
you can resurrect your beloved ones in the upcoming DLC.

I hope thats true
i want my dog back !!!

winalot said:
Have you tried using the spade from your inventory on the exact spot in the ground? Just an idea, no idea if it will work.

yeah, tried that many many many times :'(

diss

Banned
about 40 minutes into it, in the first "dungeon" thing as an adult going around killing beetles. yeah i know it's early but when does this game start to kick into "fuck yeah, this is a 9.0" mode? or when did it first start to become a great experience for everyone else? i am willing to invest the time. the writing and voice work i think has been great

Aaron

diss said:
about 40 minutes into it, in the first "dungeon" thing as an adult going around killing beetles. yeah i know it's early but when does this game start to kick into "fuck yeah, this is a 9.0" mode? or when did it first start to become a great experience for everyone else? i am willing to invest the time. the writing and voice work i think has been great
It does take a while. Wait until you've got more combat skills and facing off against enemies that block, shoot, and hurl magic at you. Also getting more expressions, having more quests to try, and more money to play around with. If you enjoy the writing and voices, definitely seek out the Temple of Shadows. The 'challenge' to join is hilarious.

Mr. Sam

I hope they make the next game more organic and less statsy. I'd love it if you actually got to see the towns rise to power or crumble under corruption. Different people should have different opinions of you; like the husband of a woman you killed should come at you with a sword but the local bartender thanks for getting rid of that pain in his arse.

I'd also like a longer game and even more areas to explore. Not as big a step up as I wanted from the original. I also miss the spell-casting system from the first.

GhaleonEB

Cornballer said:
Eurogamer's Fable II post-mortem. Great interview with Peter Molyneux that's well worth a read. There are ending spoilers in the interview.
Great interview. This made me even more interested in the DLC:

It's an island off the coast. It's far bigger than you would expect. It's something you can go to at any point: there's new simulation stuff, new creatures, a completely new dynamic environment in there which we never had time to exploit in Fable I.

You can expect new weapons, new gameplay, quite a few dungeons with a little bit more puzzly elements, because we didn't do that a lot in Fable I, and it fits into the story and to the world perfectly.

What people haven't realised yet is this thing about Theresa: who is she? That line at the end: "Leave the Spire now, it's mine." What's she going to do with that? And how come she ended up with what she wanted, it seems, more than what you wanted?​
The PR description made it sound like a lone quest comprised of collecting three things in three dungeons. This sounds like there's a bit more to it. And he hints at more meaty DLC to come.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I started playing this again, and i have a few questions:

First of all, I seem to remember being able to sleep at a bed at the inn in the marketplace of the first town. Now, whenever I try to use the bed, it says "You can't sleep now". What is causing that?

Also, is there a way to tell what books you've already read when purchasing them from the store? I know I bought my dog a book about treasure hunting, but I'm not sure if I bought him two books on it. There is currently a level 2 treasure hunting book for sale in the store. If it's for sale, does that mean I haven't used it yet?

GhaleonEB

FlyinJ said:
I started playing this again, and i have a few questions:

First of all, I seem to remember being able to sleep at a bed at the inn in the marketplace of the first town. Now, whenever I try to use the bed, it says "You can't sleep now". What is causing that?
You are in the middle of a quest that doesn't allow you to sleep. It's annoying, but you'll need to finish the quest before you can sleep again.

Also, is there a way to tell what books you've already read when purchasing them from the store? I know I bought my dog a book about treasure hunting, but I'm not sure if I bought him two books on it. There is currently a level 2 treasure hunting book for sale in the store. If it's for sale, does that mean I haven't used it yet?
No idea there, though. Sorry.

Fredescu

Pretty interesting interview. Definitely looking forward to the DLC.

Some of the other stuff he's talking about though... I mean, if you put two and two together it really sounds like Microsoft are getting him to design a real casual/hardcore bridge style game to compete with Nintendo... and if you include his complaints about the controller you could even suggest that Microsoft are getting Molyneux to design a game to launch with their motion controller.

Fable 2 has proven that he really has the chops to make this casual crossover kind of game. My wife, despite not liking the traditional controller, loves Fable 2. Has anyone else here put in over 60 hours? She has. I'm at about half that. I doubt I could find 60 hours worth of things to do.

Molyneux said:
The only criticism that I've got, and I'm not going to fully point the finger at us, is that I think that controller is such a barrier to the casual market. It's so intimidating even before we pick it up. It's not an issue of making the controller pink or blue or something like that: it's far more inherently difficult for people who don't play many computer games.

+

Molyneux said:
I've already got in trouble for this. But there is a sense of excitement around something we've been experimenting with for an awful long time. If we pull this off - and that's a big if, and please don't think this is hype, it's just a designer talking about his job - if we get even close, I think it's going to produce something you have never seen before: concept, play-style, genre, everything.

This is the reason Microsoft wanted us to be first-party, to give us the ability to make a big step. This industry needs big steps. You can feel it in the air right now: there's an uncertainty about these massive blockbuster formulaic games that we continue to make. I partially accuse myself of doing that.

On the other side there's this real disparity between the machines that we've got at the moment; we've got gamers' boxes and casual boxes. There needs to be this revolution.

= ?

Of course, it's probably just Molyneux being Molyneux.

Top Bottom