• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

Mr. Sam

Anybody else experienced "premature ejaculation"? You click on "(Un)Protected Sex" and the screen goes black for roughly a second, no moaning or anything. The other character then shrugs, and their "silliness" opinion stat gets +25.

How embarrassing!

bengraven

LTTP.

Got an ugly wife, but a cute kid who sounds like my 9 month old son. :)

But I have a question:

What's up with that guy robbing the broken wagon outside Bowerstone? I killed him because he was robbing the dead, but got evil points.

Witchfinder General said:
This game is now the greatest game ever made.

Why?

Simple, because when walking around Bloodstone a prostitute said to me:

"Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?"

Holy shit they put in a Big Lebowski quote.

Fucking brilliant.

Also, the rest of the game is great.

Yeah, I was running around Bowerstone when I heard a little kid calling out:

"You have to hit his weak spot for massive damage!"

GhaleonEB

Mr. Sam said:
Anybody else experienced "premature ejaculation"? You click on "(Un)Protected Sex" and the screen goes black for roughly a second, no moaning or anything. The other character then shrugs, and their "silliness" opinion stat gets +25.

How embarrassing!
:lol

I overhead a lute player telling a very long story about a tragic marriage. It went on for several minutes, in the Old Bowerstone, if you get it restored via good deeds in childhood. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it was utterly weird. He just kept going and going...the ending was hysterical.

Hopefully someone is compiling a list of the dialog in the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
civilstrife said:
Two words:

WINTER LODGE

Holy shit, Demon doors are my favourite part of the game.

Yeah great, a fucking useless weapon.

I'd rather have had the Winter Lodge itself :(.

bengraven

I have yet to see an attractive woman in this game. I'm only at the point where you clear the bandits to repair the bridge, though.

bengraven

Amazing.

The game actually made me think and be taken aback at my own actions.

Leaving Bowerstone along Rookridge, I come upon a wrecked carriage, a dead woman hanging out of the window. Taking some of the dead family's things is a greasy voiced, wretched theif. I take my pistol out: he has do nothing to hurt me, but he's stealing from the dead and by the sound of his voice and his mocking tones, I have no doubt he isn't exactly a person of high caliber.

I take a chocolate bar lying nearby.

Then I decide to see what happens when I fire upon someone with the safety switch on. I fire - he splashes against the mountainside in a flourish of blood. Woops, I whisper to myself, but content that I removed one of the lesser citizens of the world, I decided to move on.

But not before taking all the belongings lying on the ground.

And then, a while later, it dawns on me and I want to shake Peter Molyneux's hand: am I not just as bad as that vulture I murdered in a fit of self-rightousness?

bengraven

ruxtpin said:
I married a prostitute. They're the only attractive ones. Or, they're the only ones that show skin. hah

My wife refused to allow me to name the chunky woman with a bonnet from Bowerstone after her, so I Googled attractive wives.

"Apparently the prostitutes are cute," I told her.

"I have no problem being a prostitute as long as she looks nice."

Wow.

ruxtpin

Banned
bengraven said:
My wife refused to allow me to name the chunky woman with a bonnet from Bowerstone after her, so I Googled attractive wives.

"Apparently the prostitutes are cute," I told her.

"I have no problem being a prostitute as long as she looks nice."

Wow.

haha. good stuff. I actually just beat the game today, after having it since launch. I was surprised at how fun the game really is. It isn't perfect, but I enjoyed it A LOT more than the first Fable. I'm looking forward to going thru' again w/ a different character.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Whelp, it seems the missus has been cheating on me. I come back home after a spell of adventuring to find my baby now a toddler. Great, I think to my self, except there's only one tiny problem:

He's black.

Yeeeeeah.

Lionhead are hilarious.

USD

There's so many things about this game that I hate. The dog is mostly worthless, all interactions are superficial, and I was expecting so much more from the main quest. And I swear I have less 50% success rate when pushing A in front of chests and signs (did anyone else have this problem?). Overall though I really enjoyed it, despite all the many, many flaws.

Thank the gods for the ability to respec characters. I hated the physical changes from Strength and Will, so I ended up playing a Skill-focused character for most of the game. Vain I know, but at least my character didn't look stupid. I got by pretty well with just using my rifle.

Honestly the best parts of the game are the Demon Doors. That's when the game is at its most beautiful.
Winter Lodge (WUT), Terry Cotter's Army (really chilling), and Forest Sanctum (the music is so amazing)
all really got to me.

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yep. I married Jackie the Whore, she has a great rack
Haha, I married a prostitute too, two in fact. I got curious and tried to go for a threesome of bigamy, but that didn't work out very well. :lol

bengraven

- Trying to buy a house owned by an "Unknown" and trying to drop the value.

- I can't sleep for some reason, it's asking me to
find the Hero of Will, so I'm assuming I won't be able to sleep or have sex until I finish that quest, or at least proceed on it

- I think I'm going to save money for a major business, like in Bowerstone Market, then start buying up houses in Bowerstone Old Town (I'm playing "good"). I love how they all look.

Suggestions? I heard above someone say to buy the bar, I may take that idea.

MMaRsu

Banned
Some ending spoilers/questions :

If you choose sacrifice, do you have to play the rest of the game without your dog?

pj

Banned
AndersTheSwede said:
Never had the game freeze on me, installed or not.
Does it have bugs? Sure, but the level of artistic and gameplay polish is pretty impressive IMO.
How can the camera be horrible when it's a standard right stick control?
Frame rate pretty solid for me, only when crazy amounts of magic was flying did it ever slow
Butt ugly? What?... what?

As someone who hated Fable 1 with a passion Fable 2 is an improvement in every way shape and form.

I overreacted a little bit because I was so pissed at the freezes. The camera is bad because it adjusts itself a lot, and never for the better. It's especially awkward indoors where it has no idea what the fuck to do. The framerate chugs in certain places even when there's nothing going on, and the game has a heart attack if you use an area effect spell on a group of enemies. I agree that it's better than fable 1, but this is what I would have expected from an Xbox 1 sequel.

The game isn't butt ugly, but the beginning of the game is. Bowerstone is the worst looking place, and they pull the camera in way too tight on the characters, considering how rudimentary the animations are.

Now that I'm like 10 hours in, my opinions have changed, but I don't know how much more I really like the game. It's bullshit that the only real way to earn money is the completely ridiculous jobs. It competely unbalances the economy when I can make 720 gold pouring a beer. They all have the same basic concept as this cookie monster electronic game I had when I was 3 years old. And what happened to every property having quests associated with them? I have at least 15 now and nothing has happened.

The biggest problem is that I don't give a shit about anything I'm doing. Half the world wants my dick because I did a sock puppet show a few times. It took me like 12 seconds to convince a chick to marry me, and all she does is talk about how much she loves me and gives me shitty potions all the time. I don't care about the story, and the characters I've met so far, including fat Nariko, have nothing interesting to say. The quests are alright, but they don't do anything new at ALL. I don't even care about the dog, which really surprises me. I cared more for the dog in Peter's demonstrations than I do for the one that's almost invisibly at my side at all times.

Maybe that's what Peter Molyneux's games lack; Peter Molyneux. It would rock if a dynamic Peter Molyneux narration played as you were playing the game.

Peter: "Ahh, now this part is really insteresting. You see..."
*five minutes later*
Me: "wow, that's fucking amazing"

The superficiality also bothers me. When I buy a business and my only options are to either sell it or changes prices in 20% increments, it leaves me feeling empty. What if you could pick the individual items to stock? What if you wore a particular outfit and used certain weapons that people wanted because you have them, and you just happen to stock those items at your stores? What if you could interfere with store stock deliveries, driving up demand for products only you now have? What if this game had any depth at all?

I'll keep playing the game because I like the combat, pimping out my dude, buying properties and businesses, and the environments are pretty interesting.

Oh, one last thing that puzzles me. The art resource allocation seems completely out of whack. Why is the corner of some forest, that you'll MAYBE look at once, lavishly detailed and fucking gorgeous looking, while the game's hub city, Bowerstone, is a boring pile of poop?

Aaron

I stopped playing because a quest broke on me, but I feel no need to go back. Everything in the game feels so pointless and shallow, aside from the combat, which is pretty great. I hate the enemy scaling that essentially forces me to warp instead of passing through areas to kill enemies I've already killed a half dozen times before, owning property just leaves you with more money to get more property that you can't really do anything with, marriage is nothing more than the occasional gift and black screen with naughty audio, the main quest is so short it barely feels like you've done anything at all, etc.

Far from the worst game I've played this year, but still pretty lame.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
MMaRsu said:
Some ending spoilers/questions :

If you choose sacrifice, do you have to play the rest of the game without your dog?

DLC will allow you to resurrect him apparently

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Serious question. I am about to enter Wrathland whatever that is. The dog icon disappeared before going through the Gate. Is he dead?!?!?!?!? Or is it part of the game???

EDIT: Oh still alive :lol

Jtyettis said:
That would be two and yes the patch is well overdue.

Yeah its pretty fu@#$ing ridiculous of them. If the game was messed up enough
that it has taken their team more than 2 months to release a patch then you shouldn't have
released the damn game.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
boutrosinit said:
DLC will allow you to resurrect him apparently

This would be so awesome - do you have a source for this? Playing w/o him after the ending is a lonely experience.

bill0527

I got this game for Christmas yesterday and I sure would love to play it.

If it didn't fucking freeze up on me every 5 minutes.

4 freezes in the first 20 minutes last night before I threw in the towel and played something else. I gave it another go tonight and got 2 freezes in 30 minutes played time. It always happens when I'm in the browerstone city.

I don't think my box is going bad. I've not had any problems with my other games and I just got this box back from repair 2 months ago and they put a brand new motherboard in it.

My wife purchased it from Amazon.com so I guess I'll have to deal with the fuck hassle of exchanging it by mail.

pj

Banned
bill0527 said:
I got this game for Christmas yesterday and I sure would love to play it.

If it didn't fucking freeze up on me every 5 minutes.

4 freezes in the first 20 minutes last night before I threw in the towel and played something else. I gave it another go tonight and got 2 freezes in 30 minutes played time. It always happens when I'm in the browerstone city.

I don't think my box is going bad. I've not had any problems with my other games and I just got this box back from repair 2 months ago and they put a brand new motherboard in it.

My wife purchased it from Amazon.com so I guess I'll have to deal with the fuck hassle of exchanging it by mail.

I had the exact same freezing problem. It totally disappeared when I installed the game to the hdd.

GCX

pj325is said:
I had the exact same freezing problem. It totally disappeared when I installed the game to the hdd.
Yep, I haven't had any problems from playing from the hdd either. Runs perfectly smoothly.

Marlowe

Loved the game -- finished the main quest today, now just doing odd side quests and achievement whoring.

Only bug I found -- I constantly have the "get new furniture" sentence at the top of the screen (it's longer than my quotes, but I forget the exact wording). Anyone else run into this?

Also, I'm checking on the thread as well, but any tips on pulling off the Swinger achievement?

Marlowe said:
Loved the game -- finished the main quest today, now just doing odd side quests and achievement whoring.

Only bug I found -- I constantly have the "get new furniture" sentence at the top of the screen (it's longer than my quotes, but I forget the exact wording). Anyone else run into this?

Also, I'm checking on the thread as well, but any tips on pulling off the Swinger achievement?

I had the exact same bug. It went away after a while, but it sure bothered the hell out of me while it lasted.

bengraven

Okay, so I finally brought the game back to Movie Gallery, went next door to Gamestop and just bought it. My impressions so far are as follows.

The Pros:

- the combat is EXTREMELY fun.

- I actually CARE about the characters this time, even the superficial family. I love my dog! PM actually pulled something off, he wasn't lying, I seriously fucking love that mutt! And my wife is a pain in my ass, but my kids are fantastic. I love them running around "daddy, daddy!". Maybe it's because I just recently had a son and am getting married in real life.

- on that note, the actual emotions it brings up in me: I don't want the decent middle class wife from Bowerstone when I have (had) a hot whore wife in Bloodstone. But if I divorce or kill her...well, my fiancee in real life read my mind: "You don't want to kill her because you'll lose your kids to an orphanage huh? I understand...". My first daughter is bugged though and it bothers me, even now at work without the game near me, that I can't show her any gestures or have her follow me. She only responds to gifts.

We've decided she's Helen Keller and it's sad.

- I like the mini games to make money and with a gold augment, I can make cash from kills. I like owning property much more this time around: instead of clicking "upgrade" you actually can pick some. I hope the DLC adds more furniture, though. I also actually like that it takes me a while to save up for a business this time.

- I'm so glad they took out boasting and the fact that you got scarred up if you were less than completely fucking amazing at combat. I'm better than average, but I still look prematurely old due to my scars in Fable 1.

The Cons:

- I wish I didn't have to press "R" trigger to draw my XP to me.

- It still feels like I can't really veer off the path much. Other than the Bower Lake area and Oakfield, most of the rest of the world feels like Fable 1. On that note, I was expecting Bowerstone to be at least a bit larger. Where are the upper class houses?

- why are only two of the prostitute models attractive and all the other females (and males had I been gay/woman) so unattractive? It's not hard to make at least cute characters. I know the NPCs are supposed to worship and adore you, but there can be at least a large majority that actually cleans the fucking dirt off their faces.

- I'm sick of the game being about "ego".

- MY DAUGHTER IS BUGGED!

Kyoufu

How does co-op work? Can a friend and I play co-op from level 1 characters and enjoy the game? Or am I buying this for the wrong reasons?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
How does co-op work? Can a friend and I play co-op from level 1 characters and enjoy the game? Or am I buying this for the wrong reasons?
Co-op is terrible; one of you plays your char while your friend plays a "henchman." The deal-breaker, though is the fact that you have to stay on the same screen. Like, literally, you two can't walk more than twenty feet away from each other.

Witchfinder General said:
Simple, because when walking around Bloodstone a prostitute said to me:

"Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?"

:D

"The Book is bound in human skin look, you can see the freckles."

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Mr. Sam said:
Thus making the choice you made pretty much pointless?

Thus saving us those of us who made the wrong choice from terminal boredom and loneliness. :D

Does anyone else think the combat in this game was a bit too easy? I felt like I was just cruising through on auto-pilot. The only challenging bits were the
timed attacks required in the Fairfax dungeon
. Also, has anyone gotten the bounty hunter/assasin titles without paying for them? I've done 100+ missions of each type and I'm still getting only 2 or 3 star jobs. I'm assuming the game wants me to pick a side, but I'd rather not unless it's absolutely necessary.

Mr. Sam

I felt that leveling up magic was pointless, considering you have to charge a spell for ages if you want it to do much. Just getting a good gun and decapitating people is much, much more effective. One hit kills.

Though freezing time and wasting an entire gang of bandits before they unfreeze never gets old.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you take a look at your profile, the new dlc achievements are there

The Collector
Acquire all the mystery items in The Box of Secrets shop, or see another Hero do so. 25

The Meteorologist
Bring all of Knothole Island’s weather problems under control, or help another Hero to do so. 50

The Bibliophile

Find all the books detailing the history of Knothole Island, or help another Hero to do so. 25

Juice

Argh. I was really pumped to get into this game, but it freezes every 15 minutes like clockwork. Going to try to see if it's any better while installed, then il just have to delete the co-op patch. Sad.

I never played Fable, but I decided to give Fable II a try. Boy, I'm glad I did. This is one of the best games of the year. I was a little nervous, as I heard some people said it was still disappointing. And, sure, it aint perfect, but it's really quite awesome. :D

It's a really easy game, though....

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just finished it.
Made the least selfish choice. Kind of sad.

So far, Fable 2 is my GOTY. Really enjoyed it. Now I am moving on to MGS4 and Dead Space.

Top Bottom