• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

Fredescu

FlyinJ said:
Also, is there a way to tell what books you've already read when purchasing them from the store? I know I bought my dog a book about treasure hunting, but I'm not sure if I bought him two books on it. There is currently a level 2 treasure hunting book for sale in the store. If it's for sale, does that mean I haven't used it yet?
No, just being for sale doesn't mean you don't already have it. Check your dogs stats for combat and treasure hunting. Level 2 book will put him at three stars, level 3 at four stars, etc. If he's already three stars you don't need to buy the level 2 book.

You can skip levels too and go straight from two stars to four stars or something. I don't know what dictates which books are available for sale.

MMaRsu

Banned
When does your kid grow up? Its just a baby right now..

and how far am I into this game? I just rescued the big girl..hammer or whatever, and try to save the will heroe, but it didn't work.

Now I have to do the next mission...

Aaron

MMaRsu said:
When does your kid grow up? Its just a baby right now..

and how far am I into this game? I just rescued the big girl..hammer or whatever, and try to save the will heroe, but it didn't work.

Now I have to do the next mission...
Kid only grows up after you take a trip on a boat. You'll know the moment because you'll be warned to finish up your quests beforehand.

btkadams

Witchfinder General said:
Picked up the game today.

Any tips for someone just starting off? Any dos or don'ts?
there's no wrong way to play x-play's "game of the year" lol.

no but seriously i have no idea i haven't gotten it yet. plan on it though!

Witchfinder General said:
Picked up the game today.

Any tips for someone just starting off? Any dos or don'ts?

Play "A Heroes Tale" on the fable2.com website a few times and chose a different crown each time to unlock some helpful items for the beginning of the game. And play kicken chicken as well. Also have fun exploring and experimenting, don't rush through the game. Enjoy!

Hesemonni

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Wheres Bloodstone?
You'll get there after you've completed Hero of Will quest and start doing Hero of Skill. Can't get there before that. (?)

Edit. Just finished the game. Such a relief I didn't have to replay the game three times to get all ending achievements. A quick console shutdown + load earned me easy 75 points in few minutes. Tadah!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Someone needs to tell Molyneux to STFU. Reading past interviews, there are numerous promises he didn't deliver on.

:D

Welcome to Molyneux...

You learn to take what he says with a pinch of salt...or just not read/hear/see any of the stuff he says and when his game gets released you are not playing the game with expectations.

This theory and practise can be applied to most games.

bj00rn_

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Someone needs to tell Molyneux to STFU. Reading past interviews, there are numerous promises he didn't deliver on.

Why don't you give him a call yourself to tell him how you feel about your incredible analyzing skills and to give him some advice how to make a successful career in the gaming industry?

I keep getting the message "You have a family emergency. Check your map."

However, when I go to my families, there's nothing there to do. Now, on one bounty hunter quest, I had to kill hobbes in the town where my wife lived. They killed her and it said my child was taken by child protection services. Do I need to do something with that? Besides that I have no idea what it could be. It's been giving me that message for 4+ hours and it's beyond annoying.

Anyone face a similar problem?

Minyobi

Doc Holliday said:
Arghhh my game keeps crashing at the beginning wtf?

What worked for me (for me) was to install the game to the hard drive.
Before I did that, the game would freeze up 15 minutes in.

If you already did that, I have no idea.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FutureZombie said:
I keep getting the message "You have a family emergency. Check your map."

However, when I go to my families, there's nothing there to do. Now, on one bounty hunter quest, I had to kill hobbes in the town where my wife lived. They killed her and it said my child was taken by child protection services. Do I need to do something with that? Besides that I have no idea what it could be. It's been giving me that message for 4+ hours and it's beyond annoying.

Anyone face a similar problem?

I don't know about the emergency thing, but that second message means your family is dead. It's why I don't take those missions anymore.

firehawk12 said:
I don't know about the emergency thing, but that second message means your family is dead. It's why I don't take those missions anymore.

The thing is, after my wife died, I have remarried twice, so I don't understand why I would be getting the message. Feels like a bug...

pj

Banned
Ok, I just got this game and what the fuck

First impression; haha bird poop, silly training quests, game freeze, awesome

Second impression; skip bird poop, skip dialog in silly training quests, save after unskippable salesman pitch, game freeze again, fucking awesome

Third impression; more silly quests, game freeze, god damn it

The internet said installing the game gets rid of these freezes, so I did and it has been working so far. Now that I've gotten past the intro, I'm into the meat of the game's problems. A complete lack of polish and no progression from the last game. Four years for this?

Horrible camera
Sprites and physics seem to run at half the game's frame rate
Frame rate sucks
Bad animation transitions
Bad cutscene animation
Aside from the lighting, the game is butt ugly
The dog looks ridiculous while swimming, his head just kind of jerkily floats around

I really enjoyed fable 1, and I was looking forward to this despite the mehitivity of the reactions it had been getting. I don't know if this game was under funded or just rushed out before it was done, but something went horribly wrong and I'm pissed.

Haeleos

pj325is said:
I don't know if this game was under funded or just rushed out before it was done, but something went horribly wrong and I'm pissed.

With Molyneux games? Overfunded and still rushed out.

pj

Banned
Haeleos said:
With Molyneux games? Overfunded and still rushed out.

Yeah but I thought fable 1 was great. It looked awesome for its time, and I thought the gameplay and world interaction were very entertaining. Fable 2 looks like a below average launch game and appears to be fable 1 again, except you can buy anything and there's a badly animated dog that follows you everywhere.

Maybe they actually tried something new for a couple years and it didn't work out so they said "fuck it, let's just make fable 1 again"

voltron

Cornballer said:
The interview said December 22nd.

Rad, this Monday. A nice little post-weekend pre-Xmas present (that we have to pay for) will go down nicely.

I feel bad, although Ive finished it Fable 2 has not received nearly enough attention as it deserves due to the ridiculous amount of games.

Well, I did the responsible thing. Got married, had a baby. yadda yadda yadda, I come back to find my baby boy all grown up and...he's BLACK.

I knew I shouldn't have left that bitch by herself all the time.

Seriously though, that happen to anyone else? I nearly bust a gut laughing.

diss

Banned
civilstrife said:
Well, I did the responsible thing. Got married, had a baby. yadda yadda yadda, I come back to find my baby boy all grown up and...he's BLACK.

rofl

voltron

Fredescu said:
Keep reading. The thread was bumped because the DLC has been delayed until the end of January :(

How does it feel to ruin Christmas Fred? I hold you personally responsible. First I find out Santa Claus isnt real (I found out this year) and now this.

not happy

GhaleonEB

civilstrife said:

:lol :lol :lol

That's awesome. Bummer about the DLC.

To those initially disappointed by the game, stick with it.

I suppose it gets a little better. I'd like to say that Fable 2 is what they wanted Fable 1 to be, but we all know that's not true :lol It's a smidge better than Fable 1, but really I just can't believe they had the gall to pretty much design the exact same game right down to the
imprisonment segment

The visuals are pretty, but technically inferior to pretty much every other first tier 360 game to date.

Red

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I haven't seen it:
3 new achievements have been added to Fable II. Looks like they're all for the DLC. Total of 100 points.

Giard

I think I've bought everything except the
Fairfax Castle
I've lowered my rates for 95% of my properties, so I make around 15000 every 5 minutes.

Soon I'll have you damn achievement!
Also, how would I go selling something at twice its original price? Decoration?
Is there a house better than the others for that? Maybe
Targ's house?

Red

Giard said:
Targ's house?
Any cheap house you can upgrade. Basically anything in the 2-4,000 range. Caravans are obviously out because you can't add furniture, but yeah: like you said, just decorate. Buy some 5 star stuff from Bowerstone or Bloodstone and swap out the shitty original furniture.

I think people pay you more if you're well-liked, but not sure on that one.

vhfive

Giard said:
Fairfax Castle
I've lowered my rates for 95% of my properties, so I make around 15000 every 5 minutes.

Targ's house?

just take any crappy house (i used one in bloodstone) change all the crappy furniture to the highest one and you're done

EDIT damn beaten

Giard said:
Fairfax Castle

Targ's house?

Putting in trophies also helps, the shard shard is quite valuable

GhaleonEB

Crunched said:
I think people pay you more if you're well-liked, but not sure on that one.
People liking you and paying more rent do more together, but they're not causally related. They pay more in rent as you upgrade the home contents, which in turn makes them like you more.
funkmastergeneral said:
Putting in trophies also helps, the shard shard is quite valuable
I didn't know you could do this. How do you add trophies?

vhfive

GhaleonEB said:
People liking you and paying more rent do more together, but they're not causally related. They pay more in rent as you upgrade the home contents, which in turn makes them like you more.

I didn't know you could do this. How do you add trophies?

in some houses there are plaques on the wall and you can put your trophies on them

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Anyone have tips on the "Get all expressions" achievement? I've got all pet expressions/tricks and most of my character's expressions. I'm missing one or two evil ones that I know I have to get by being 100% evil.

My guess was massacuring a bunch of cities while not saving so I can go back to being 100% good when I get the achievement, but my friend told me that it would save my progress when I'd kill a civilian. :(

this guy

Domino Theory said:
Anyone have tips on the "Get all expressions" achievement? I've got all pet expressions/tricks and most of my character's expressions. I'm missing one or two evil ones that I know I have to get by being 100% evil.

My guess was massacuring a bunch of cities while not saving so I can go back to being 100% good when I get the achievement, but my friend told me that it would save my progress when I'd kill a civilian. :(
It won't. I've gone on killing sprees before and then turned off my system without saving. No consequences. :D

MMaRsu said:
Is this true?

As was said, yes. The will lines are a function of how much your Will skills have been leveled, not how much you've used them.

pj325is said:
The internet said installing the game gets rid of these freezes, so I did and it has been working so far. Now that I've gotten past the intro, I'm into the meat of the game's problems. A complete lack of polish and no progression from the last game. Four years for this?

Horrible camera
Sprites and physics seem to run at half the game's frame rate
Frame rate sucks
Bad animation transitions
Bad cutscene animation
Aside from the lighting, the game is butt ugly
The dog looks ridiculous while swimming, his head just kind of jerkily floats around

Never had the game freeze on me, installed or not.
Does it have bugs? Sure, but the level of artistic and gameplay polish is pretty impressive IMO.
How can the camera be horrible when it's a standard right stick control?
Frame rate pretty solid for me, only when crazy amounts of magic was flying did it ever slow
Butt ugly? What?... what?

As someone who hated Fable 1 with a passion Fable 2 is an improvement in every way shape and form.

vhfive

Domino Theory said:

my guess is that you have tons of money right now

so heres what i suggest
go to bloodstone (i would choose bloodstone because killing sprees destroy an economy) kill enough people to be evil enough to get expressions.
then go to bowerstone gift the beggars massive amounts of money and your fully good again in no time.

took me about 15 min.

TopDreg

Damn it, I really need that patch to be released. I've been stuck at the Abbot due to that stupid glitch. Hearing that it's being delayed really is not nice to hear.

TopDreg said:
Damn it, I really need that patch to be released. I've been stuck at the Abbot due to that stupid glitch. Hearing that it's being delayed really is not nice to hear.

I think the patch is separate from the DLC. Last they said was it was in the final stages of Live certification.

TopDreg

AndersTheSwede said:
I think the patch is separate from the DLC. Last they said was it was in the final stages of Live certification.

Sadly, the dev's blog commented on the delayed DLC affecting the patch as well.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
This game is now the greatest game ever made.

Why?

Simple, because when walking around Bloodstone a prostitute said to me:

"Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?"

Holy shit they put in a Big Lebowski quote.

Fucking brilliant.

Also, the rest of the game is great.

Top Bottom