• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 9-10th Primary/Caucus Thread (Obama = Weekend Sweep)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
harSon said:
Did Hillary just use Obama's catch phrase........................................?

Yup. Apparently Obama's been saying "No we can't" this whole time.

She is pretty crappy at speeches. And I can't believe she has the gall to bring up Oil presidents.:p

BTW, she's already pushing the "my supporters can't make the Caucus because they have to work" angle in her speech right now.

Rur0ni

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18784709

Washington expecting record turnout.

There's no doubt that the delegates will be allocated by the caucuses this Saturday, where party officials expect to double the old record of about 100,000 participants.

The Clinton supporters are standing in a circle after their training session, practicing the speeches they might give at the caucus to try to sway people over to their candidate. The trainer tells them not to go negative, but the women here — and most of them are women — are genuinely angry about Obama's success.

After the meeting, two women vent their frustration over what they see as subtle sexism in this race. Washington is used to having women in high places — the state's two U.S. senators, Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray, have already endorsed Clinton. But the governor, Christine Gregoire, hasn't picked her candidate yet.

Christine Gregoire endorsed Obama today I believe.

Rur0ni

maynerd said:
Wow I was considering going to this. Glad I didn't waste my time.

Seattle has Obama-FEVA!
20,000... Nice.

Doors were locked after KeyArena reached its capacity of 20,000, officials said. Those who made it inside were not allowed to leave because police wanted to keep those outside from pushing through the doors and forcing themselves in. People outside were banging on glass doors and windows of the arena, as Seattle Police were trying to maintain peace.
LOL

Tamanon

Banned
If you guys thought Romney was pandering at the CPAC yesterday, wow, you would love this Clinton speech at Washington State. I don't think I've ever seen this many promises of saving college kids money.:lol

Triumph

Banned
npr said:
The Clinton supporters are standing in a circle after their training session, practicing the speeches they might give at the caucus to try to sway people over to their candidate. The trainer tells them not to go negative, but the women here — and most of them are women — are genuinely angry about Obama's success.
So telling. My mother and I have been bickering about this for awhile now. (please note that I don't support Obama, but would vote for him in the NC primary if the nomination is still in play by that point) She and many other women seem to feel like "It's a woman's turn, dammit!' and that Obama is fucking something up by being in the race. lolz.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kathryn Hughes, a senior at Gig Harbor High School, got inside while her friend, Hunter Burton, also a Gig Harbor senior, was outside, pressed against a KeyArena glass door.
I wonder if their mascot is still "The Tides".

syllogism said:
shaun-of-the-dead-zombies-small.jpg

It begins!

Rur0ni

Triumph said:
So telling. My mother and I have been bickering about this for awhile now. (please note that I don't support Obama, but would vote for him in the NC primary if the nomination is still in play by that point) She and many other women seem to feel like "It's a woman's turn, dammit!' and that Obama is fucking something up by being in the race. lolz.
Yeah exactly. Which is why I believe all these older women are way pro Clinton. They want it to happen in their lifetime. Hence the Obama jabs. The younger generation has plenty of time for that to happen. ;)

Flo_Evans

Triumph said:

I have to wonder why they feel this way. Just going by when blacks got the vote vs. women they still have another 50 years!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Super Tuesday overview said:
Now be honest. Wasn't Tuesday evening one of the most exciting nights ever in American politics? It had more drama and twists than many presidential general elections. The onrush of results and exit polls in twenty-four states--and let's not forget about American Samoa--was dizzying and exhilarating.

Our readers, mainly political junkies, already know the basics. To refresh your memory, in case you are in the same kind of sleepless fog and hoarse stupor that we are, please see the two accompanying maps, one for the Democrats and one for the Republicans, showing which candidates won which states. The number appearing within the boundaries of each Super Tuesday state is the percentage of the vote for the winning candidate. In a future essay, once a little time has passed, we will return to the events of this remarkable day to evaluate further the nation's first truly national primary. True, in 1988 the first Super Tuesday included twenty states, but fourteen of them were in the South and Border-South region. By comparison, 2008's Super Duper Tuesday had a selection of states from every region.

Super Tuesday Republicas said:
We now know that, both parties taken together, the big winner of Super Tuesday was John McCain. It wasn't just that he captured most of the big ones and reaped the rewards of the GOP's winner-take-all delegate system. It was also that Mike Huckabee became the second biggest winner, grabbing five Southern states, and thereby knocking Mitt Romney into third place. Huckabee is a great story, but only Romney had the money and conservative backing to continue a serious challenge to McCain. So Super Tuesday became Titanic Tuesday for Romney, because like the famous ship, Romney's candidacy sunk on February 5th.

Acknowledging reality, Romney "suspended" his campaign on Feb. 7th. Huckabee may still win the occasional contest in the South or elsewhere, but John McCain will be the 2008 Republican nominee for President. Somehow we doubt this bothers Huckabee terribly. Huckabee and McCain shared a passionate dislike for the wealthy, near-perfect Romney. "Huck" and "Mac" have also flirted throughout the Republican debates as their interests coincided and the Arkansan auditioned for the post of McCain's running-mate. That may or may not happen, of course.
The outlook of the Democratic race said:
On the Democratic side, the massive primary day that was supposed to end the misery and give the party its nominee instead delivered a near-absolute tie. With votes and delegates still being counted and shifted, it appears that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama split the Democrats' approximately 15 million votes right down the middle, and each one secured almost exactly half of the 1,681 delegates decided on Feb. 5th. The exit poll patterns have become predictably standard for most all the Democratic contests. Clinton does well with women, seniors, and Latinos, while Obama attracts men, young people, and African-Americans.

The remaining calendar gives no compelling hints as to which candidate can or will break the deadlock. Overall, the rest of February appears to be shaping up as a good month for Obama, with Clinton taking up the slack in March and April in Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, and goodness knows which one will be doing well in May. As Crystal Ball friend Chuck Thies points out, Obama does best in caucuses, and only 411 delegates remain to be selected in caucuses, compared to 1,357 delegates to be picked in primaries. Yet Obama could fare very well in the remaining Southern and Red-State Midwestern and Western contests.

Do the 796 Super-Delegates, especially the majority that has not yet taken sides, ever try to organize and swing behind one of the candidates? If so, when? How do they keep the supporters of the candidate not selected from crying foul about back-room deals by cigar-smoking pols? What about the disputed, delegate-stripped Michigan and Florida delegations? How can those quarrels ever be solved peaceably if the nomination hinges on their outcome? Will Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Harry Reid have to become involved as semi-neutral arbiters at some point? Will former President Jimmy Carter and former Vice President Al Gore be asked to prove their worth again as Nobel Prize winners by negotiating peace in their party between two equally entitled warring factions? The head hurts. Enough of this for now. If the Democratic battle is as long as it looks likely to be, we will have plenty of time to spin speculative possibilities in the months ahead.
McCain in the General Election said:
Already people are avidly discussing the upcoming general election fight between McCain and either Clinton or Obama. Early polls suggest an evenly matched contest. Since the Republicans have all but chosen their nominee, let's look at the fall campaign mainly from his perspective. Almost by accident, the Republicans have ended up with their most electable November candidate. McCain benefited from an unimpressive GOP field, most of whom were either fundamentally flawed or who flopped despite a big build-up. McCain also gained from the split in the conservative vote (Romney and Huckabee, and earlier Thompson), which enabled him to generate unstoppable momentum after minimal, low-to-mid-thirties victories in New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida. This was despite McCain's having lost Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, and Wyoming in the early going. His long-time attraction to Independents enabled McCain to secure his first three primary wins, and this same Independent appeal gives McCain a legitimate shot to win the general election

Yet many of the early press accounts are too gauzily positive about McCain's general election chances. He has many mountains to climb before he can take up residence in the White House. First, other than Barry Goldwater in 1964, it is difficult to think of a modern Republican nominee who faced as much opposition as McCain does in some quarters of the party base. (Maybe Gerald Ford should be on this list, but few GOP activists ever truly disliked the agreeable man from Michigan.) McCain's obstreperous nature has widened the chasm with many conservative Republicans, and he is openly despised by many lions on the right. Will McCain be able to employ the kind of sensitive diplomacy he will need to mend fences? It's not in his nature, but he has no choice if he wants to avoid a listless party base or even a conservative independent candidacy that could deprive him of crucial votes in November. At the same time, he cannot kowtow to the right-wing base, as he often seemed to do at yesterday's CPAC confab, without losing the backing of many swing voters. It's a high-wire act that McCain may or may not perform successfully. At least now he has many months to maneuver while Democrats are still fighting among themselves.

Moreover, look what McCain faces politically. Judging by the voter turnouts in most states and the overall fund-raising totals, Democrats have a dramatic edge this year in the enthusiasm of their party activists. McCain is hobbled in trying to reverse this trend by George W. Bush. The Arizona senator is going to represent a party whose current President has had ratings in the low to middle 30s for two years. Given that three-quarters of Republicans still back Bush, McCain dares not criticize Bush too much since the nominee-apparent is already shaky with the party base. At the same time, McCain must put considerable distance between himself and Bush--his opposition to Bush in 2000 will help--but in the end, voters tend to hold the nominee of the President's party responsible for the President's administration.

If timing is everything in politics, McCain's schedule for seeking the White House couldn't be worse. We may or may not be in a recession, but economic conditions are undeniably disturbing. Aren't the tanking economy and an unpopular war a heck of a double burden for any Republican standard-bearer? The surge may have worked, but disengaging from the Iraq war is still a priority for a large majority of Americans. If voters want out, how do they vote for a man who has pledged to stay in Iraq for decades if necessary? The candidates all seem to agree that it is a "change" year. Is McCain just the right combination of change and continuity, or by November will he be painted so brightly with the colors of the Bush Administration that voters no longer see his own independent stripes?

Finally, the question of McCain's age will play a role, though exactly what role is difficult to say. The Republican would be 72 by the time of his potential Inauguration, the oldest President ever elected to a first term. Perhaps senior citizens--usually the age cohort with the highest turnout--will like that, just as they have so far in the GOP primaries. But younger voters may consider 72, combined with McCain's prior bout with cancer, to be too risky. Clinton is a decade younger, and Obama, at 46, is more than a full generation removed from McCain. Age didn't hurt Ronald Reagan in 1980 and 1984, though it was a factor bubbling in the electoral stew, but 2008 is a very different election. On this score, concerning McCain's three score and twelve, put us down as "undecided." Perhaps the selection of a younger, widely respected vice presidential candidate can assist McCain in efforts to erase doubts about his age. Or maybe his vigorous, lively 95-year old mother does that all by herself.

Both of the Democrats have plenty of flaws and weaknesses, too, and once we have a Democratic nominee, you can be sure we'll dissect them as well. Whichever Democrat emerges can expect a frontal assault on traditional Republican themes (soft on national security, liberalism, big-taxing, and the like). McCain will also likely accept the reality of a Democratic Congress, and present himself as the only potential check on the legislative branch, especially in the area of spending.
Historical said:
One thing is now certain. For only the third time in American history, a United States Senator will be elevated directly to the Presidency. Warren G. Harding and John F. Kennedy will have company. (Maybe we should also include James A. Garfield, who was House Speaker and Senator-elect at the time of his election as President in 1880.) The Governors who ran in 2008--Bill Richardson, Mike Huckabee, and Mitt Romney, as well as the city executive, Rudy Giuliani--were all beaten. Perhaps a new trend has begun, or maybe it was simply an exceptional year for Senators and a bad year for Governors.

For now, it's on to the weekend Democratic contests in Louisiana, Washington state, Nebraska, Maine, and the Virgin Islands, followed by the geographically compact Mid-Atlantic or Potomac Primary (Maryland, D.C. and Virginia) on February 12th. We all await the next twist in the Democrats' long twilight struggle
http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/article.php?id=LJS2008020801

Even Larry Sabato agrees that the Democratic race is far from over :D

Triumph said:

There are a lot of women in their 50s and 60s who worked harder and better than their male counterparts yet still hit an achievement wall in their particular fields due to the old boy's system. These women are in Hillary's corner no matter what, and while I disagree with them I certainly can't knock them for their rebellion here. It reminds me of my great grandmother; she died in surgery because she wouldn't let the white nurses or doctors touch her. And even today my grandparents hold a certain prejudice towards whites. I may never understand it fully, and disagree with them, but I certainly can't judge them or criticize them for their feelings.

Triumph said:

It's this kind of artificial attraction of votes that pisses me off about politics.

harSon

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
There are a lot of women in their 50s and 60s who worked harder and better than their male counterparts yet still hit an achievement wall in their particular fields due to the old boy's system. These women are in Hillary's corner no matter what, and while I disagree with them I certainly can't knock them for their rebellion here. It reminds me of my great grandmother; she died in surgery because she wouldn't let the white nurses or doctors touch her. And even today my grandparents hold a certain prejudice towards whites. I may never understand it fully, and disagree with them, but I certainly can't judge them or criticize them for their feelings.

My dads the same way. His mother passed away due to Cancer when he was fairly young (8-9 I believe) and the doctors (who happened to be white) had the nerve to tell a fucking child over the phone that his mother was gone. Some pretty fucked up shit.

Rur0ni

Latest Gallup:

020808DailyUpdateGraph1redo.gif

As long as this thread doesn't reach 30 before the actual results I'll be satisfied :lol

This leaves 9% undecided it looks like.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Louisiana said:
Typically, voter turnout for the state's presidential preference primary is low in both Bossier and Caddo parishes.

"We expect an 8 (percent) to 9 percent turnout on the low end and a 12 (percent) to 13 percent turnout on the high end, which is about what it normally runs," said Caddo Registrar of Voters Ernie Roberson.

The elections in House District 6 and Greenwood may push turnout totals higher, he said.

Roberson estimates turnout for the House District 6 race will run about 15 percent to 17 percent. "There's a lot more interest in that (election) than there is in areas where you don't have much to vote on."

Despite past low turnout numbers, heightened interest this election year may urge more voters to go to the polls, Burks said. "Because this election has a couple of firsts — the first female and first black candidates — I've seen more interest."
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080208/ELECTION/802080328/1060/NEWS01

Apparently Louisiana is going to have a low turnout.

sangreal

harSon said:
Did Hillary just use Obama's catch phrase........................................?

I went to her website during the fundraising battle and her plea was titled "Yes, we can!" :rolleyes:

Rur0ni

grandjedi6 said:
Hmm. Guess Obama wins that one. 45% of the Dems are black? Obama cuts the white vote in half? 40% + 25% = 60%

Edit:
maynerd said:
What's Obama's stance on gay marriage?

I didn't find it in his issues section.
Opposes. But approves Civil Unions, with exact same federal benefits as a married couple.

Rur0ni

New Mexico status:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18785663

But the Democrat-only contest was plagued by so many problems that the state party, along with the Clinton and Obama campaigns, agreed that only checking all ballots cast would insure an accurate result.

New Mexico apportions its delegates, so Obama and Clinton will each end up with a share of the 26 delegates at stake. And with the national race so close, each delegate counts.

There is no prediction of when the recount will be completed.
Means the 17,000 Provisional Ballots it seems.

syllogism

AP NewsBreak: N.J. superdelegate for Clinton now undecided

NEWARK, N.J. - Recent remarks by Hillary Clinton and former President Clinton prompted one of New Jersey's superdelegates to reconsider her support of the former first lady and move to an undecided status.

Clinton still retains a commanding lead among the state's so-called Democratic superdelegates _ members of Congress and other party leaders who are not selected in primaries and caucuses and who are free to change their minds about whom they support.

Because they are not bound to a particular candidate, the 796 Democratic superdelegates could play a pivotal role in the party's nominating convention in August. Clinton and Barack Obama need 2,025 votes to capture the prize. Nationally, Clinton has 1,045 delegates to 960 for Obama, with nearly all Super Tuesday primaries tallied.

Clinton's victory in the New Jersey primary gave her 59 regular delegates, compared to 48 for Barack Obama, according to an Associated Press tally. Those delegates, who were awarded proportionally based on results in special primary districts and statewide totals, are pledged to support each candidate at the convention and typically honor those agreements.

New Jersey is also allocated 20 superdelegates, two of which won't be chosen until April. Of the 16 contacted since Tuesday's primary, Clinton has an 11-1 edge over Obama, with four undecided or uncommitted.

Of the two who could not be reached, one has previously said he supported Clinton, while the other was uncommitted. Including those two, Clinton has a 12-1 edge.

Democratic superdelegate Christine "Roz" Samuels of Montclair said she changed her preference for Clinton after remarks by the former president that cast Obama's candidacy as "a fairy tale."

"I'm disappointed in a few things that were said a few weeks ago by President Clinton," she said. "I'm going to have to revisit what I'm going to do between now and when we vote."

Samuels, a member of the Democratic National Committee and the executive committee of the state NAACP, also said she was troubled by Hillary Clinton's comments that Martin Luther King's dream of racial equality was realized only when President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

And she questioned how Hillary Clinton's eyes welled up before last month's New Hampshire primary. "I am female, and I know we can cry at the drop of the hat," she said, "but that was a bit much."

"I just have to weigh this a little more closely," said Samuels, who works as a secretary to a school principal in Newark.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--delegates-nj0208feb08,0,5374058.story

Rep. Dave Obey (D-WI) Endorses Obama
By Eric Kleefeld - February 8, 2008, 3:15PM

Barack Obama has picked up the support of a major former John Edwards backer: Rep. Dave Obey, a major fixture in Wisconsin, where the primary will be held on Feb. 19.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/

Rur0ni

http://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/storylink_28_206.aspx

February 8, 2008 — InsiderAdvantage, the only national firm to accurately indicate the surge of Mike Huckabee in Southern states on “Super Tuesday,” polled Virginia Democrats for the Southern Political Report, whose coverage includes that state.

The poll of 501 likely voters in next week’s Virginia primary was conducted February 7 and was weighted for age, race, gender, and political affiliation. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4%.

The results:
Obama: 52%
Clinton: 37%
Other: 1%
Undecided: 10%

In the survey Obama led among African-American voters, while Clinton and Obama were evenly splitting the white vote in the survey.

Obey is the chair of the House Appropriations committee. That's a big endorsement.

I don't think Feingold has said one way or another which candidate he prefers and is the only big pol in the state not to make an endorsement, from what I have gathered.

avaya

I'm suprised the Clinton campaign is picking up talking points from Fox News. O'Reiily or was it Hannity commented on Matthews comment that "if you're in the same room as Obama when he makes one of his speeches and you don't cry you're not American." Maybe that's what's riling her staffers up.

avaya said:
I'm suprised the Clinton campaign is picking up talking points from Fox News. O'Reiily or was it Hannity commented on Matthews comment that "if you're in the same room as Obama when he makes one of his speeches and you don't cry you're not American." Maybe that's what's riling her staffers up.
They're setting her up so they can knock her down come November.

avaya

Dahellisdat said:
They're setting her up so they can knock her down come November.

They're not setting her up. Hannity is scathing. Although Murdoch had a fundraiser for her last year.

Tamanon

Banned
avaya said:
They're not setting her up. Hannity is scathing. Although Murdoch had a fundraiser for her last year.

I think Hannity operates outside the Fox spectrum. While people label him the spokesman, he's always pretty consistent with his opinions.

mrmyth

PhoenixDark said:

I can agree with the general sentiment, but this gut based politics pisses me off. Go fucking vote on American Idol if you just want to see your favorites win. This is my life you're fucking with too here.

I would hesitate to say that a white woman in her late 60s has worked harder than a black man in his. Let's face facts - if Obama was Antoine Jackson from Philly we wouldn't even be this far along. The man has survived because he is 'partial' black, and exotic black at that. IMO we'll have multiple white women Presidents in the next century. It'll be a good 50 years before we get another good shot at a black President.

Unless Sam Jackson runs.

Rur0ni

Smiles and Cries said:
so what are the polls saying about Washington State?
In the OP:

Latest Polling
SurveyUSA 2/4/08:
Democrats:
53% Obama
40% Clinton

SurveyUSA 2/7/08:
Republicans:
32% McCain
31% Romney [Dropped Out]
24% Huckabee
06% Paul