• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football•Soccer•Fútbol Thread 2008/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hootie said:
Man I'm still a total noob on the whole european football scene. I'm not even sure which team is my favorite :lol

Which club does James McFadden play for? That man is a beast.

Watching him for Everton would suggest he was far from a beast...when he did score they looked nice though

Frenck

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
The main surprise is that none of the other big clubs tried to sign him for that price.

They actually did, last year.

It looks like Hamburg will sign Michael Bradley now btw :D

kottila

div_logo_bg.gif
Norwegian Tippeliga: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: SK Brann

Can we play too? Pretty please?

Ronok

Cornballer said:
Wilshire's been given #19 and promoted to the first team at Arsenal. :D

:D

Definantly the right decision. Although I think #55 suited him quite well. lol

I imagine he'll be on the bench quite often at the very least. He definantly has the ability to play against big players and never really looks intimidated. Can't wait to see more of him in the upcoming season.

marmaraS

Thread has been open less than one day and already at 100 posts :)

i am suprised to see Wilshere get the first team nod, i know he played really well but he is only 16! he needs more time playing, but perhaps Wenger might give him more opportunities to shine.

hadareud

The Translator
i was convinced that we needed to sign somebody in central midfield and/or defence a few weeks ago but now I think we'll be fine whatever happens.

I wouldn't be all that unhappy if we didn't sign anyone else anymore. I am absolutely positive that Diaby will be able to lock down the holding role if he stays fit and if nobody else comes in and I know he will be brilliant. If we buy experience - fair enough, if not - it doesn't matter. Depth wise we're fine with Denilson, Ramsey, and even Coquelin and Bischoff there to step in.

Either way, what I'm trying to say is that we'll win the league.

1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea
3. Man Utd
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. Villa

Stoke, Hull and Blackburn to go down.

Ronok

marmaraS said:
Thread has been open less than one day and already at 100 posts :)

i am suprised to see Wilshere get the first team nod, i know he played really well but he is only 16! he needs more time playing, but perhaps Wenger might give him more opportunities to shine.

You do realise how young Cesc was when he really started to get games right? 46 apps at the age of 17? I can see Wilshere getting a decent number at 16. I mean Rosicky is out until, well I don't know when. Hleb left. We have Walcott and Eboue on the right. Nasri and Wilshere on the left. Although in some ways I'd prefere Walcott and Wilshere to switch sides.

That's ignoring Traore though who also can do a very good (although a bit different) job on the left wing.

Wilshere should get a number of games, atleast at the start of the season before Rosicky returns. It will be a bit harder after he does though..... Assuming Rosicky can stay fit.....

On The Edge of Insanity said:
You can add my PSN (gonzo06uk) to the o.p. if you want - I'll definitely be picking up PES and probably FIFA as well.
FeedTheYak said:
My PSN is RixerFesh if anyone wants to add me
Charles said:
Also, you can add my PSN to the table-thingy (munita), I still play a bit of PES2008 online (in division 2) and will most likely get PES2009 on (or around) day1.
Eric WK said:
Feel free to add me to the player list, Cornballer.

Eric WK [-5] GT: Eric WK
I added you all. If I missed anyone, let me know.

kottila said:
div_logo_bg.gif
Norwegian Tippeliga: Fixtures • Table • Defending Champions: SK Brann

Can we play too? Pretty please?
Yup, I added this to the OP. If anyone else has leagues that they want to have included, just post the relevant information and I'll put it up sooner or later.

GHG

Gold Member
Our defense is too shit to win the league. Its a shame because everywhere else we have players who can make a difference.

Steroyd

100 pages is nothing i say NOTHING.

AyuFanatic86 said:
hey, this is blablurn. i'm writing from a friend's pc because i'm banned till saturday or sunday XD great work for the op! See you guys in a few days :)

(OP needs more Bayern)

I told you being a PES fan in the PES thread would get you banned, but would you listen noooooo.

I really don't know what to make of Liverpool, we're still lacking the wingers I so desperately desire, but on the other hand, if Robbie Keane doesn't go to shit, and we get Barry who has had a great partnership with Gerrard in the England shirt, we might do better than EVERYONE is currently predicting. >_>

hadareud

The Translator
GHG said:
Our defense is too shit to win the league. Its a shame because everywhere else we have players who can make a difference.
i wouldn't exactly call it shit. we have the 2 best fullbacks in the league and very competent centre backs. The only thing we haven't seen is them form a really good partnership yet. Kolo's illness might be a blessing in disguise for the start of the season, I think Gallas will play very well together with Senderos (just as they did last year) or Djourou.

Is it a Manchester Utd. level centre defense? Of course it isn't - but there's no other team in the Premiership with better defenders other than that.

Frenck

Banned
I feel really bad for Blackburn. Hadareud just mentioned that they are relegation candidates and it really looks like it.

Even Santa Cruz might be snatched away before the season begins.

I wish them luck.

Ronok

Frenck said:
I feel really bad for Blackburn. Hadareud just mentioned that they are relegation candidates and it really looks like it.

Even Santa Cruz might be snatched away before the season begins.

I wish them luck.

Yup, I was going to quote Had and :lol, but, then I thought about it a bit and......... >.<

Few things from Steven Goff this morning.
Steven Goff said:
The Good, The Bad, The Coyote Ugly

THE GOOD

*Average attendance of 20,182 for five league matches.
*Kenny Cooper's second consecutive multi-goal game, giving him seven goals in seven matches.
*Dallas, on a five-game unbeaten streak, improving to 18-1-6 when Cooper scores.
*Zach Wells earning his first shutout of the season.
*Brad Davis's left-footed blast in Houston's victory.
*Ryan Cochrane beating the Galaxy.
*At age 34, Jaime Moreno increasing his totals to 7 goals, 7 assists.
*Edson Buddle's crafty equalizer.
*San Jose goals by newly acquired Arturo Alvarez early and Darren Huckerby later in the half.
*Patrick Nyarko's first career goal.
*Jon Busch's league-leading eighth shutout.
*A tight race for the Golden Boot: Donovan and Cooper (13), Buddle (12), Emilio (11).
*Jeremy Olsen, Ben's older brother, playing 25 minutes for DCU's reserves. (Nice gesture, but what does this say about the reserve division?)
*Quote machine John Carver, on TFC's bad luck: "I think I've run over a black cat."

THE BAD

*Dallas all-star Juan Toja leaving MLS for Romania.
*The offside call that negated an apparent Nyarko goal, two minutes before he scored one that counted.
*With a break from league play, Colorado drops a 2-1 decision to touring Everton.
*Marco Velez's two yellows for a red.

THE COYOTE UGLY

*Amado Guevara receiving a red card for apparently striking Pablo Ricchetti in the face. "He's got a bloody nose. You don't get that from running," the TFC TV announcer said.
*Nyarko and Claudio Suarez bumping heads, forcing both players to leave the match.
*The Galaxy allowing a late game-winner, the Galaxy's seven-game winless streak (0-4-3), the Galaxy's 40 goals allowed (more than New England and Houston combined and 12 more than the second-worst defensive team, DCU).

Steven Goff said:
SuperLiga's Money Issues

SuperLiga is a SuperMess.

This just in from the MLS Players Union:

MLSPU said:
"The players on the Houston Dynamo and New England Revolution have agreed in advance of tomorrow night's SuperLiga final that they will split evenly the bonus money at stake in the game. The players have made this decision to show their solidarity and in protest of the league's violation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement with respect to the negotiation of bonuses for this tournament."

According to the tournament format, players on an MLS team that wins the title are to share $150,000 and players on an MLS runner-up side split $100,000. So essentially the Houston and New England players have decided to pool the $250,000 and distribute it equally, regardless of the result. This move comes amid union discontent that only 15 percent of the advertised $1 million SuperLiga grand prize goes to the players -- a story the Insider brought to you last summer.

From a practical standpoint, will the players be able to get their hands on the pot of gold and follow through on their commitment? Who knows.

But consider this: With the money shared evenly between players from competing teams and nothing at stake in terms of advancement to a regional or world tournament, why would anyone bother to buy a ticket to this match? Clearly, the players would prefer to skip this game and turn their attention back to league play and, in the case of the Revs, next week's U.S. Open Cup semifinal at DCU. Will the players even bother to compete at a high level, or will they agree to take it easy and let the game go to penalty kicks?
Errrr, I'm no long quite as excited to watch tomorrow night. :/ Hopefully they'll still be up for it.

Cedeo

I'd argue you that Evra>Clichy but that is for another day.

I think you will do well, better than last season, I'd say second, but you haven't really improved on your squad, sure you've got Nasri and bought in some youngsters but you've lost Flamini, Gilberto & Hleb (depsite what you said after they left you were pretty good advocates before), experience - what you were missing last season after you capitulated after your exit in the FA Cup, and half your players are made out of glass.

Still, you play good football, you have Adebayor and Fabregas and you'll be at around the top come the end of the season, it seems as though your management are happy to make the same amount of money by spending pittance and coming in the top 4 as clubs that spend lots and win the league.

GHG

Gold Member
hadareud said:
i wouldn't exactly call it shit. we have the 2 best fullbacks in the league and very competent centre backs. The only thing we haven't seen is them form a really good partnership yet. Kolo's illness might be a blessing in disguise for the start of the season, I think Gallas will play very well together with Senderos (just as they did last year) or Djourou.

Is it a Manchester Utd. level centre defense? Of course it isn't - but there's no other team in the Premiership with better defenders other than that.

The Gallas-Kolo partnership isn't bad at all. Just that our defense is one injury away from disaster. We saw that last season. When Sanga got injured Kolo moved to the right (where he looked out of sorts) and the liability that is Senderos came into the centre. Thats when shit hit the fan. If one of our fullbacks were to get injured I'd rather it be Clichy than Sanga. Its wierd me saying that because I actually rate Clichy higher, but if Clichy were to get injured it doesn't allow Wenger to fiddle (Traore/Hoyte/Gibbs will fill in rather than a silly attempt to accomodate Senderos). If Wenger had kept Gallas and Kolo together in the centre of defense last season then I'm convinced we would have won the league and at least made the CL semis.

Oh and don't get me started on our goalkeeping situation.

We have to hope that we are scoring a truckload of goals this season to have a chance really.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Cornballer said:
I added you all. If I missed anyone, let me know.

If you roll on XBOX Live you can add my GT:AFridgeToFar

You can add it on PSN too if you want, but i'm most definitely getting FIFA 09 on the 360. If PES09 turns out to be any good i'd get it on the PS3 tho.

Ronok

GHG said:
Oh and don't get me started on our goalkeeping situation.

We have to hope that we are scoring a truckload of goals this season to have a chance really.

Almunia isn't the best goalkeeper, but, he's not bad. Fabianski and Manone aren't ready though imo.......

Almunia still needs to work on his distribution once he gets the ball. He gives it away too much in that regard. Lehman was very good in this aspect most of the time.

hadareud

The Translator
Senderos played very well when Kolo was away for the African cup of Nations and then when he was out injured for a few more weeks after that.

The shit did hit the fan when Kolo played on the right, absolutely. But that had very little to do with Senderos apart from one game (Liverpool).

It's always easy to put the blame on one player, especially if you can't remember what actually happened as it seems to be the case here

As for the goalkeeping - I remain unconvinced that Almunia is a title winning keeper. But I am pretty sure that he isn't a title losing one. That's all we need this year, next year we'll see where we go from there.
Cedeo said:
I'd argue you that Evra>Clichy but that is for another day.

I think you will do well, better than last season, I'd say second, but you haven't really improved on your squad, sure you've got Nasri and bought in some youngsters but you've lost Flamini, Gilberto & Hleb (depsite what you said after they left you were pretty good advocates before), experience - what you were missing last season after you capitulated after your exit in the FA Cup, and half your players are made out of glass.

Still, you play good football, you have Adebayor and Fabregas and you'll be at around the top come the end of the season, it seems as though your management are happy to make the same amount of money by spending pittance and coming in the top 4 as clubs that spend lots and win the league.

I'd have loved to keep Flamini, and after Flamini left I'd have loved to keep Gilberto. Gilberto was our player of the season the year before last and Flamini was one of our players of the season last year, no question about it. But I am convinced that Diaby has the required quality to do what Flamini did last year. The only thing I'm not convinced about is if he can stay injury free. If he can he'll be brilliant.

I still think we're fine. Wenger is trying to bring experience in - if it works I'm happy if it doesn't we're alright as well. It's going to be just as tight as last year at the top of the league, but I think this year we'll do it.

I gotta say, i'd prefer a signing in midfield. We have some interesting prospects there, but i don't wanna risk going backwards in that department, and Flamini's awesome play last season was a huge plus.

I hope Senderos continues to improve, cut down on the errors even more and stop being Drogba's bi-seasonal bitch.Then we won't need a new defender. If we do though, bring back Zinedine Cygan...LEGEND.

hadareud - have you tried getting into the Pick-a-score site recently? I had to recreate my login this morning because it would let me in, and now there are two of me in the league. :/
Frenck said:
It looks like Hamburg will sign Michael Bradley now btw :D
Interesting. I think that'd be a good move for him. Somewhere in the Premiership would work, too. A lot of this hinges on how well he plays at the Olympics, so I hope he has a good tournament.

Frenck

Banned
Now for something completely different...

How the hell do you guys play FIFA without assisted shooting?!?

I do reasonably well with all assists turned off but I can't score goals anymore. Even if I'm past the GK and only have to walk the thing in, as soon as I shoot it zips past the right or left post :lol

I'm already training for our glorious FIFA 09 team (I propose the name NeoGAF Football Thread Cavaliers by the way :D ) as you can guess. I want to be a first class substitute at least, but in order for me to be that I have to get at least one shot on target :-(

Aalyx

Great OP, can't wait for football news instead of transfer news!

Also, can I add my tag to the thread? You'll catch me in FIFA 08 (got rid of PES 2008) and FIFA 09 when it comes out (On the footballing side anyway)

Code:
A2D					PSN: A2D-

Come on Utd. this will probably be the last season we see the best of Scholes + Giggs before their decline, we have to defend our status as the best team in England and Europe!

I'm predicting the top and bottom of the EPL will look like this:

1 Manchester United
2 Chelsea
3 Arsenal
4 Liverpool
5 Tottenham
18 Wigan
19 Hull
20 Stoke

TDG

Banned
I can't wait to come back and look at these first few pages and laugh at everyone who thought Tottenham would crack the top 4.

EPL Predictions!

1.Blackburn
2.Arsenal
3.Chelsea
4.Manchester United
5.Spurs
6.Portsmouth
7.Manchester City
8.Liverpool
9-20. Who Cares

EPL PotY- Carlos Vela
Euro Footballer of Year - Carlos Vela
Golden Boot - Carlos Vela

Aalyx

Cedeo said:
I reckon I could beat anyone at GAF at Fifa.
Do you have it on PS3? If so, I'd love to give you a game :D

(Assuming that it will work, EA need to sort the FIFA 08 servers out, they're awful right now! Can't even play 5 v 5 anymore)

Frenck

Banned
AyuFanatic86 said:
yeah frenck, this thread needs some german power :)

You're damn right it does!

I would be happy if we could convince some non Germans in here to watch some entertaining Bundesliga matches.

Osorio

Damn Cornballer you did it up with the OP.

Now here's to a good second half cuz the first one sucked.

game1.jpg

Also, I hope Bolton don't get relegated.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Errrr, I'm no long quite as excited to watch tomorrow night. :/ Hopefully they'll still be up for it.
I'm not either but I'm happy they're doing what they're doing.

The five MLS goal of the week candidates. (Youtube)
SI on the troubles in Galaxy-land. Supposedly an ultimatum was delivered, and now it's a question of whether it's Gullit, Lalas, or maybe Donovan(?) to go if things continue to get worse.

Osorio said:
Now here's to a good second half cuz the first one sucked.

game1.jpg
You can change your avatar back now. ;)

I want to see the power rankings this week. Maybe San Jose can get out of the basement, but it'll probably take a few more wins.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
I want to see the power rankings this week. Maybe San Jose can get out of the basement, but it'll probably take a few more wins.
Maybe but it's amazing after 2 straight wins you guys are in playoff contention. :lol :lol

hadareud

The Translator
same thing just happened to me Cornballer

let's start a new league, then we're in once and you could put it in the original post ...

Osorio said:
Maybe but it's amazing after 2 straight wins you guys are in playoff contention. :lol :lol
Parity! Wooooo! :lol

NY football GAFfers - apparently Barca are training in Central Park today. :O

"FCB will have a light rehab session at approximately 6 pm ET in Central Park's North Meadows Field"

hadareud said:
same thing just happened to me Cornballer

let's start a new league, then we're in once and you could put it in the original post ...
Sounds good to me.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Parity! Wooooo! :lol

NY football GAFfers - apparently Barca are training in Central Park today. :O

"FCB will have a light rehab session at approximately 6 pm ET in Central Park's North Meadows Field"
I think I'm gonna go.

Zoolaga

United's squad for the Peterborough friendly tonight, 19:45 kickoff:

manutd.com said:
United: Kuszczak, Zieler; O’Shea, Evra, J Evans, Ferdinand, Brown, Cathcart, F Da Silva, R Da Silva; Fletcher, Gibson, Martin, Cleverley, Possebon, Gray; Campbell, Tevez, Nani.

I wasn't expecting to see them play along side first teamers so soon. Also looking forward to seeing how well Possebon and Campbell plays, they've looked pretty good in pre season.

avaya

QVT said:

I simply must know WHO this is and WHAT this is from. RIGHT. NOW. NOW.

Also we are not going bankrupt, don't attribute things to me that I I didn't say. I said we are just financially weak and we know it and we are doing nothing about it. Which makes the board a bunch of total cunts.

Wilshere is the first good English player I have seen in ages. He has an acceptable level of technical ability. Get him on more creatine, he is alread twice the size of Walcott.

Vela also needs some creatine. Double the dosage.

Van Persie better be carried around everywhere in a mobile oxygen tent.

Ade is a cunt for kissing the badge. Fuck off Ade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom