• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2007/2008 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I just saw the tackle, it definitely wasn't clean, but it wasn't a studs up tackle. I'm not defending Diaby, but it could have been much worse.

that said, I think that he should have taken it a little easier today, since it was only a pre-season match and all. But, as velvet pointed out, he was trying to win a starting spot this weekend.

I'm not defending the tackle, because it was pretty bad. But, I don't think it's fair to compare it to Eduardo's injury considering we saw his bone shoot out of his fucking leg.

lachesis

The end result is the same. a Practical season-out. At least, Eduardo and Taylor, they were playing for the sake of league.

Perhaps it's not fair to compare, since Eduardo's broken-leg was such a horrible sight, but aside the visual impact - just take a look at the facts: Arsenal won everything, and guest RM lost everything. Their key player/play maker for the season, and makes them one-less for the Champions league, and upcoming liga matches. What did Arsenal lose? Nothing. practically nothing. Actually, they probably earned sh*t load of money due to Juve and RM came for the friendly cup. Heck, they even won the game, which I don't give a rat's a** about it. It's just a friendly match-up!

I wouldn't said the same, if this was at least a league match, or even CL match. Sh*t happens on the pitch when things get heated up, sure. Injuries are part of the season. But should it be a part of "friendly" pre-season matches? And lastly, should Wenger feel any sort of remorse or regret on what has happened on the pitch due to one of his "trusted" player and feel somewhat responsible? I certainly do think so. It's not like RM's asking Cesc for loan for at least the duration of the void that will be caused by Sneider.

I'm just venting off. Heck, Diaby probably didn't even meant to hurt someone very intentionally. (I also think Taylor probably didn't meant to break Eduardo's leg off like that too.) However, what's most bothering me is why such thing had to happen at a pre-season friendly game, meant for the good of all participating teams, yet one team won everything, and another lost everything. Now that's not fair, IMHO.

h0pper

you have a good point and I completely agree that the challenge was stupid. Especially because it was in a game that meant nothing. I like Sneijder as well. So I do feel bad for him also.

2-1 at HT. Fun match so far with both teams running hard and creating a fair bit. Quakes need to be careful in the second half while continuing to push for more goals.

jibblypop

Banned
Toronto FC game starts in 5 minutes. They are against FC Dallas.. I can't believe I'm out of town so i had to sell my tickets :(

oh well guess i'll be watching the live stream online. they need a win so bad that it's becoming desperate.

Eeikod

Sneijder is probably my most and only favorite RM player, sucks that it had to be him.
At least they have Vdv almost signed and will probably close the deal in the next few days. He is not as explosive as Sneijder though, and part of Madrid's play was based on Sneijder's ability to counter-attack.

jamesinclair said:
Also, in MLS land, 5 teams are tied with 22 points, and ther are 8 teams within 4 points of each other
The run-in to the playoffs is going to be fun. Just about everyone has a shot at it.

TDG

Banned
Cornballer said:
The run-in to the playoffs is going to be fun. Just about everyone has a shot at it.
With the Crew faltering, the Fire surging, and the Revs getting back into action, things are about to get really interesting in the East.

Also, fuck the olympics.

SupahBlah

Banned
earthquakes4.jpg

Man I want to make an Earthquake and LA joke but it would probably be in poor taste.

In other news, I'm just knocking QVT from the top of my GW2 friends leaderboards

Code:
East Side
TEAM	           W	L	T	PTS
New England	10	 4	 3	33
Columbus	 9	 6	 4	31
Chicago	         8	 5	 5	29
D.C. United	 8	 8	 1	25
Toronto FC	 6	 7	 4	22
Kansas City	 5	 6	 7	22
New York	 5	 6	 7	22

West Side
Real Salt Lake	 7	 6	 6	27
Houston	         6	 4	 8	26
Los Angeles	 6	 8	 5	23
FC Dallas	 5	 6	 7	22
Chivas USA	 6	 7	 4	22
Colorado	 6	 9	 3	21
San Jose	 4	 9	 6	18

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Supah do not add eric wk he is like a piece of iron

all of his scores are at least 10 times mine. it's like he's juande ramos he just keeps adding zeros

TDG

Banned
The big game next week is going to be Revs-Fire. That has the potential to shake up the East.

As a Crew fan, I'm just hoping for a tie. If the Revs win, they're now 5 points ahead of us. If the Fire win, they overtake us in the standings. We are off next week, thank god, half our team is either hurt or in China.

Cornballer said:
Code:
West Side
Real Salt Lake	 7	 6	 6	27
Houston	         6	 4	 8	26
Los Angeles	 6	 8	 5	23
FC Dallas	 5	 6	 7	22
Chivas USA	 6	 7	 4	22
Colorado	 6	 9	 3	21
San Jose	 4	 9	 6	18

Thank you. Man, what have I missed, RSL in first place? Must be that Kyle Beckerman. Remember when I was talking him up, saying he should get a national team spot? You laughed, Cornballer. Laughed.

15qdzwh.jpg

"Back then, they didn't want me. Now I'm hot, they all on me."

We have way too many people playing Beckerman's position already and he's 26. I dunno, I just don't see him leapfrogging that many players in the pool.

Steroyd

Yazan said:
Chelsea's goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hxcw_639ag

Look at the third one, please:lol :lol :lol

I saw these earlier.

What is it with Lampards Free Kicks that it alludes everyone and goes in, I know it happens very rarely, but it happens quite a few times with him.

Hot damn, at Milan's Defence were they even trying to defend?

And the Goalkeeper wtf, did the ball bounce at the last second or something? Because even Robinson had that to hide behind when he fudged up similarly.

hadareud

The Translator
what's this bollocks with Diaby's tackle being dirty or nasty?

He was a bit late, but in no way was it dirty. Sneijder was unlucky, hopefully he's ok soon again. All the best.

btw, I thought Diaby did really well yesterday when he came on, that he had a bit of a more difficult game today is not a suprise since it's only his second game. Of course he looks a bit rusty. Get off his case, he'll be fine by the time the season starts.

SupahBlah

Banned
QVT said:
Supah do not add eric wk he is like a piece of iron

all of his scores are at least 10 times mine. it's like he's juande ramos he just keeps adding zeros

:lol

I just got the Surf achievement. \o/

Ronok

Ok, I understand being upset with the injury, but, it was far from even being a rash challenge. He dives in for the ball but that kind of tackle is common even in preseason. It's not even considered a dangerous challenge most the time.

It's incredibly unfortunate what happened, but really, you can't have a go at either Wenger or Diaby for that. Of course, if this happened to an Arsenal player I'd be incredibly gutted, infact angry even, but, unfortunately this kind of injury, from a relatively normal challenge can happen sometimes.

If Diaby had gone in with studs showing, two footed, etc, everyone would have been up in arms over it. I don't know if you saw or heard, but Eboue's dangerous tackle on that wing got a lot of boo's even though it was a 50/50 ball you'd expect someone to challenge for in a normal game.

http://101greatgoals.magnify.net/item/KW06D00ZZG0GSJS3

Diaby's tackle for anyone who hasn't seen it.

In hindsight you can say he shouldn't have gone for it, but, it was clearly there to be won. :-/

Comparing it to the tackle on Eduardo is crazy. :-/

Anyway, that out of the way, I was at the game today and had an awesome time. It was a bit quieter then I would have hoped but that's mainly because Hamburg pretty much ended our chances of winning the cup in the last min of the game against Juve...

Adebayor won back some of the crowd whilst others weren't so pleased. He got a boo at the start of the game when the names were being called. Him and Eboue.

I really wish the fans wouldn't boo our players it can't do any good.

Nasri looked alright down the wing as did Walcott.

At times Wilshere looked awesome. Embaressing a Real Madrid player (who kicked out as he went past) near the corner flag at the age of 16 has to boost your ego a bit. Other times he looked a bit wreckless. Overall a pretty good performance.

Van Persie looked decent, but, lacking speed from his lack of fitness I think.

Clichy and Sagna very good as usual.

Gallas and Senderos worked pretty well most of the time, I was a bit suprised. Occasionally it went wrong, but, it could be worked on if needed.

Ramsey started pretty well when he came on but seemed to go missing a bit.

Diaby had a bit of a mixed game.

Eboue did ok I guess. I prefered Walcott out on the right though.

Bendtner and Vela both looked pretty good, but, didn't get enough of the ball near the end.

Really, toward the end of the game the team seemed to die off a bit as the chance of winning the cup faded. Overall it felt like Hamburg killed off the game a bit. lol

Speaking of Hamburg, massive props to there fans. They were awesome. They organised a spot at the far end from myself and were having a great time. Very lively. The determination they showed in trying to get Mexican waves going was astonishing. lol I'd definantly pick them winning over Juve and Real.

Now some pics. I actually completely forgot to take them after kick off which annoyed me later, but these will do. lol

16jg9zk.jpg

mh8qs0.jpg

63xi89.jpg

2e3u8hg.jpg

2d9wf2o.jpg

fan6v6.jpg

azgpw5.jpg

10ni92s.jpg

2gxohzl.jpg

SupahBlah

Banned
QVT said:
Did you get wax on wax off? or discover it at all? Shit was hilarious.

I got Wax On, I was literally 3 bars away from Wax Off when I hit a gate, I nearly threw my controller through my tv. :lol

So I went onto Waves.

Wes

venison crêpe
I hope Arsenal realise the FA wont allow them to keep two goals at one end oncee the season starts.

Ronok

Wes said:
I hope Arsenal realise the FA wont allow them to keep two goals at one end oncee the season starts.

:lol

**Just incase you were being somewhat serious.**

It's for prematch warm up.. I don't know if other teams do it so you might not have seen it before...... :-/

Sanjay

Ronok said:
Adebayor won back some of the crowd whilst others weren't so pleased. He got a boo at the start of the game when the names were being called. Him and Eboue.

LOL I tried my best to boo Adebayor and even got a few people ahead of me to join in when he was subbed off, I'm laughing because I am a Man Utd fan. I was later joking with my friends that it would be funny if we come with loads of other people and pretend to be Arsenal fans and boo Adebayor as much as possible and demoralise him.

Overall arsenal impressed me alot they have so much attacking options, at one stage I was like to my Arsenal friend, Arsenal have a army of wingers. Only now lack a true defensive midfielder. Diaby was poor you can't lose the ball with his type postion in mind.

Looks like Sagna's back to his usual, (best right back in the England).

Ronok said:
Ramsey started pretty well when he came on but seemed to go missing a bit..

Wow I had no idea he was even playing. I was seated right at the top in the middle thou.

The Emirates stadium is a awesome staudium by the way, light years ahead of the dump that was highbury.

and The highlight of the day for me was Wilshere, god damn he is 16 and this good, I am serisouly jealous of Arsenal because of this kid. He looked awesome, brushed Salgado who's no mug and went into a great 50/50 with him later on. British & Left footed too.:D

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
I was also at the game today (I seemingly only post here after being to a game...) Here's a couple of photos, had a pretty good position at pitchside so managed to get some half decent photos. Apologies if these are too big, can post smaller ones if need be, but I'd rather they be seen in this size. Still uploading most of them, but these are already up. Can share the rest if anyone wants them.

Edit - The Diaby tackle was literally right in front of me. Looked pretty clumsy but I didn't think that much of it at the time. Really unfortunate and I'm sad for Sneijder though. :(

2729753804_42ec3913e8_b.jpg

Warming up

2729890656_9e4ec88119_b.jpg

Warming up some more

2730009864_17da99cd4b_b.jpg

Epic Lightweight BATTLE :lol

2729199171_8c04256c16_b.jpg

My current wallpaper.

2729229689_c530029a51_b.jpg

Heinze (boo)

Ronok

Sanjay said:
LOL I tried my best to boo Adebayor and even got a few people ahead of me to join in when he was subbed off, I'm laughing because I am a Man Utd fan. I was later joking with my friends that it would be funny if we come with loads of other people and pretend to be Arsenal fans and boo Adebayor as much as possible and demoralise him.

Overall Arsenal impressed me alot they have so much attacking options, at one stage I was like to my arsenal friend, arsenal have a army of wingers. Only now lack a true defensive midfielder. Diaby was poor you cant lose the ball with his type postion in mind.

Looks like Sagna's back to his usual, (best right back in the England).

Wow I had no idea he was even playing. I was seated right at the top in the middle thou.

The Emirates stadium is a awesome staudium by the way, light years ahead of the dump that was highbury.

and The highlight of the day for me was Wilshere, god damn he is 16 and this good, I am serisouly jealous of arsenal because of this kid. He looked awesome, brushed Salgado who's no mug and went in to a great 50/50 with him later on. British & Left footed too.:D

Some people really are annoyed with Adebayor so it's understandable. With me, once a player is out on the field I refuse to have any serious problems with him. Atleast when I'm at the stadium. Even tried to get people to cheer for Eboue..... It didn't work. :(

As for demoralising Ade, it probably could work, I've noticed he has an incredibly big ego. If you watch his reaction after missing when he went through the Real defence you can see him looking to the crowd. lol It's quite funny.

Defensively we definantly aren't 100% there. It really is a shame Flamini left. I still think we could use someone extra in defence, but, maybe Senderos will be alright. Like I said he looked pretty good today.

Ramsey was a sub.... He came on at 75 min. He definantly wasn't as noticable as Wilshere. Maybe a bit out of his depth. He did alright though.

Emirates is indeed an awesome stadium, but, Highbury was really nice as well imo. Maybe just because I'm an Arsenal fan with memories. :-/

Wilshere, is simply amazing for his age. He's running along head and shoulders below everyone else (litterally), shorts not made in a size to fit him (they were quite a bit longer on him then anyone else) and he's matching Real Madrid. lol It really will be great to see him grow at this club.

h0pper

awesome fucking pictures Bowser. Thank you very much.

and it's nice to see a United fan who gives some praise to Arsenal! lol

Cornballer said:
We have way too many people playing Beckerman's position already and he's 26. I dunno, I just don't see him leapfrogging that many players in the pool.
Well, then RSL is just going to have to win the cup this year.

Ronok

2729199171_8c04256c16_b.jpg

My brother got the same pic from the exact opposite angle. lol It's on his shit phone though......

Do you have a bigger version of that?

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to mentione.. Robben and Van Nistlerooy went virtually unnoticed after they came on. I completely forgot they played even. Just now when I remembered was a really bizzare moment. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom