• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2007/2008 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Looks like those rumours about martins leaving are not ture. he said that he's discussing a new contract

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2635336,00.html

Newcastle star Obafemi Martins has revealed he is ready to sign a new deal at St James' Park.

The Nigerian striker, who bagged 17 goals last season, has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal.

However, Newcastle have rubbished suggestions that they wanted sell Martins to raise cash for other signings and have now opened talks over a new contract.

United are looking to tie down the 22-year-old to a new long-term deal, which would not include any release-clauses - like his current deal.

"We are talking, that is all I can say for now," said Martins.

"Like I told you before, all I knew about the Arsenal thing was what I saw in the media.

"I am a Newcastle player and my part is to score goals for Newcastle and I am happy to be doing that."

Martins insists he is ready to compete with Michael Owen and Mark Viduka for a place in Newcastle's starting line-up.

"It's always good to score goals and for me, it is important to improve every season," Martins told Kick Off.

"I scored 17 goals last season so this season maybe I should be looking at doing better than that. Twenty goals is possible and I hope I can do that.

"Both Viduka and Owen are great players and it shows that the manager is serious about achieving something this season. But I want to play all the time and as long as I am scoring goals, I think I can make it hard for him not to play me.

"Even when I am not scoring, I can make myself a problem for the other team and allow my team-mates to score."
So it looks like he's staying, unless he pulls a yossi and decides he wants to join arsenal after he's agreed a deal with newcastle.

from that wikipedia article

"On August 1st 2007 "Edu" was linked to English giants Liverpool F.C. On hearing of their interest he claimed "Yes yes blood, wassup? It's good to hear init bredgrin but we'll have to see what happens like. I'm a canny player me, you get me blood?""

I love football fans.

Osorio

Ooh Bolton beat Espanyol 3-0 today. Apparently Xabi Alonso's brother Mikel showed some great stuff today. 2 goals by the youngster Vaz Te.

Shinobi

18) Martin Jol to look at either the camera or interviewer rather than the floor during a post-match interview, leaving us free to do something other than count his chins.

:lol

Ryck said:
Yeah that really is the most important thing... I guess I'll be happy as long as he doesn't develop a fear of rain.

:lol

Karakand

TRANSFER RUMOURS

West Ham will complete the £6m signing of Newcastle midfielder Kieron Dyer on Thursday. (Various)

Barcelona have insisted midfielder Deco will be staying with them, dealing a blow to Chelsea's hopes of capturing the Portugal star. (The Sun)

But one player determined to join the Blues is Seville's Brazilian defender Daniel Alves, who is ready to lose £3m in wages to seal the deal. (The Sun)

Sunderland will make another bid for Hearts keeper Craig Gordon. (The Sun)

Reading manager Steve Coppell is preparing a £2m bid for Fulham defender Liam Rosenior. (The Sun)

Coppell also seems set to sign Nantes midfielder Emerse Fae. (Daily Mirror)

Middlesbrough hope to beat Fulham to the signature of Portsmouth's Sean Davis, after offering £2m for the midfielder. (The Sun)

However, Boro face competition from Premier league rivals Fulham, whose manager Lawrie Sanchez is also keen on the player. (Daily Mirror)

Arjen Robben has told Chelsea to pay him what he is worth if they are to have a chance of preventing him from joining Real Madrid. (Daily Star)

Sunderland have signed Tottenham striker Mido for £6m. (Daily Mirror)

Barcelona are keen on luring Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele to the Nou Camp. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce is prepared to splash out £3m to sign Fulham's midfield powerhouse Papa Bouba Diop. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will continue spending to sign Valeri Bojinov, Elano, Javier Garrido and Vedran Corluka. (Various)

Celtic and Aston Villa are in negotiations about a £1m return to Glasgow for Shaun Maloney. (Daily Record)

Hearts face competition from German clubs for the signature of Ripo Minsk striker Vyacheslav Hleb. (Various)

Wigan want to sign West Brom skipper Paul Robinson on pay-as-you-play contract. (Daily Mirror)

Middlesbrough centre-back Chris Riggott is on his way to Hull in a £1m transfer. (Daily Mirror)

And Boro are considering Portsmouth's offer of £10m plus Sean Davis for striker Yakubu. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan and Newcastle are hoping to tempt defender Abdoulaye Faye away from Bolton. (Daily Mail)

Derby boss Billy Davies has slapped a £5m price tag on Giles Barnes, who is attracting interest from West Ham and Tottenham. (Various)

Everton boss David Moyes is close to agreeing a £5m deal for Wigan defender Leighton Baines.

Moyes will also move for Manchester United's Alan Smith if James Beattie joins Sheffield United. (Daily Mail)

Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez will offer £1m for Liverpool defender Sami Hyypia. (Daily Express)

Meanwhile, Liverpool will move for Celta Vigo defender Diego Placente if they fail to sign Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze. (Daily Express)

And the Reds have offered French striker Anthony Le Tallec to Sochaux for £2.5m. (The Times)

Portsmouth are trying to resurrect a deal for Seville striker Frederic Kanoute. (The Times)

Bolton are expected to sign Daniel Braaten for £500,000 from Rosenborg on Thursday. (The Times)

Real Madrid are posied to steal in ahead of Chelsea to sign Feyenoord winger Royston Drenthe. (The Guardian)

West Ham may have moved a step closer to signing striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, who has been left out of Barcelona's tour of Asia. (The Guardian)

Aberdeen have taken former West Brom goalkeeper John Bateman on trial. (Various)

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

Blackburn will make striker Benni McCarthy one of the highest-paid players in their history in an attempt to ward off interest in him from Chelsea. (Various)

Former Manchester United midfielder Juan Sebastian Veron has warned his Argentine compatriot Carlos Tevez that joining the club could kill his career. (Daily Star)

Inverness Caley Thistle's Romanian striker, Marius Niculae, expects to miss the start of the season because of a work permit problem. (Daily Record)

St Mirren striker Craig Dargo is a fitness doubt for the SPL opener against Motherwell. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock claims he bet on Liverpool losing last season's Champions League final after he felt he was betrayed by Rafael Benitez. Warnock was furious with the Anfield boss for putting out a reserve team for a crucial Premier League match against Fulham, who were one of the Blades' relegation rivals, and wanted to exact a form of revenge. (The Sun)

The Scottish FA has announced referees will watch videos of matches they have officiated and hand out retrospective yellow cards for any incidents they might have missed first time around. (Various)

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie is flying in the face of current trends by claiming that "football is not about money or flashy things, it is about playing the game well". Is that a view shared by Dutch team-mate Arjen Robben? He has just told his club Chelsea to pay him what he is worth if they want to keep him - and his father has insisted that if the Blues contract offer to his son had been anywhere near the reported £90,000 a week, there would not be a problem. (Daily Star)

Manchester United appear to have lost one of their most eminent fans - the Archbishop of York. Dr John Sentamu has opted for a £300 season ticket to watch York. He is not the only stay-away as United still have season tickets available, with only 10 days before the start of the season. (The Times)

However, United have snapped up nine-year-old sensation Rhain Davis, who has been hailed as the new Wayne Rooney. The little lad - who lives in Brisbane, Australia - came to United's attention when his grandfather sent the club a DVD of the boy in action. (Various)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/default.stm

psycho_snake

F365 are doing previews for all the premiership clubs. I'll post the ones of the teams that people whoi post here support, so that would be United, Arsenal, Liverpool, West ham, Blackburn, Bolton, City and Newcastle.

Here is West Hams.

http://www.football365.com/news/0,17032,12994,00.html

Odds on championship: 2,500-1. Odds on relegation: Evens

Manager: Bryan Robson (since June 2007). Odds on first out of job: 1-9

Last season: 18th/17th after successful appeal... oh, sorry - hang on - that's Sheffield United isn't it. Apologies.

West Ham
Odds on championship: 1,250-1. Odds on relegation: 8-1
Manager: Alan Curbishley (since December). Odds on first out the job: 9-1

Last season: 15th, 41 points; UEFA Cup first round; FA Cup fourth round; Carling Cup second round

In: Carlos Tevez. Craig Bellamy (Liverpool, £7.5m); Fredrik Ljungberg (Arsenal, £3m); Richard Wright (Everton, free); Scott Parker (Newcastle, £7m); Julien Faubert (Bordeaux, £6.07m)
Out: Carlos Tevez. Yossi Benayoun (Liverpool, £5m); Paul Konchesky (Fulham, £2m); Marlon Harewood (Aston Villa, undisc); Tyrone Mears (Derby, £1m); Nigel Reo-Coker (Aston Villa, £7.5m); Shaun Newton (Leicester, free); Roy Carroll (Rangers, free); Sir Edward Sheringham (Colchester, free)

Two years ago, like almost everyone including most Hammers fans I met, I expected Alan Pardew to lose his job quickly and for the club to struggle to make any impression on the top flight.

Last year, like almost everyone including most Hammers fans I met, I expected Alan Pardew to thrive and for the club to continue to make an impression on the top flight.

Well, they made an impression.

West Ham's history this century has resembled a script from Dream Team more with each passing year. From Harry Redknapp's tearful sudden departure to Glenn Roeder's brain tumour and Trevor Brooking's caretaker heroics, Pardew's 18 months of unpopularity becoming a year of acclaim followed swiftly by the sack.

Then Alan Curbishley coming in, struggling worse than Pardew for a while yet somehow keeping them up with some huge slices of luck - the goal at Blackburn that didn't cross the line and was offside, following a dodgy penalty. And that's without mentioning the Tevez saga - which we all know features a fair slice of fiction.

How exactly will the club keep up this level of drama? At some point, probably, the Tevez saga will reach an end. If this really was a soap opera then they would sign his long-lost twin brother, but instead they have plumped for Craig Bellamy.

The Welshman, who has had his share of dramas, is one of four players who will expect to walk straight into the team. Though in Julien Faubert's case, limp would be more accurate, Bellamy, Scott Parker and Freddie Ljungberg should do so. But that is a significant number of changes to make to a first XI and teams often take a little while to settle down in such circumstances. Nor do they all have the best injury records.

Still, last year's spiralling nightmare forgotten, the team should start in decent heart, helped by the departure of some divisive figures. Perhaps Bellamy, in tandem with Lee Bowyer and maybe Kieron Dyer, will make only the right kind of headlines. The return of Dean Ashton, a new acquisition from the manager's point of view, should provide a substantial lift.

The fixture list has thrown up an opening match where much of the attention will be on the opposition: the vultures will be out for Sven-Goran Eriksson. Liverpool's Champions League commitments mean that there is no midweek away match; instead Curbishley goes back to another club he played for in the first away match, Birmingham. With Wigan at home and a trip to Reading to follow, that is a decent start to have to the season.

Yet the former Charlton boss is alarmingly high up the betting for first manager to go. Chairman Eggert Magnusson was spotted throwing a water bottle

around as his team struggled to a 1-1 draw with Orient in pre-season, while Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, the real money behind the takeover, is no wallflower.

Looking at the squad, West Ham should return to mid-table at least. But these East Enders could teach the lot from Walford a thing or two about drama.

Opening matches: 11 Aug, Man City (h); 18 Aug, Birmingham (a); 25 Aug, Wigan (h); 1 Sept, Reading (a)

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
I thought the Dyer deal was done? No?

I can't wait for this season to start. I'm especially interested in seeing West Ham. They've done a good job (imho) of strengthening their squad and am curious to see where they will end up in the table.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
h0pper said:
I thought the Dyer deal was done? No?

I can't wait for this season to start. I'm especially interested in seeing West Ham. They've done a good job (imho) of strengthening their squad and am curious to see where they will end up in the table.

Fee's agreed, but he has to take a pay cut so wage negotiations may take a while.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I thought birmingham already bought mido...must have dreamed it. Got to start dreaming about better stuff.

psycho_snake

Blackburns season preview

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,12994_2636934,00.html

Odds on championship: 500-1. Odds on relegation: 22-1

Manager: Mark Hughes (since September 2004). Odds on first out the job: 20-1

Last season:
10th, 52 points; UEFA Cup last 32; FA Cup semi-finals; Carling Cup third round

In: Roque Santa Cruz (Bayern Munich, £3.8m); Gunnar Nielsen (BK Copenhagen, undisc); Maceo Rigters (NAC Breda, £350,000)
Out: Andy Todd (Derby, free); Michael Gray (released)

A couple of years ago it was very much a case of 'J'accuse Mark'ughes' in this piece, after the God-awful display in the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal set the seal on Blackburn's reputation as the dirtiest and one of the dullest teams in the top flight.

Rovers fans were unhappy. Hughes was obviously completely unaware of my criticism, but he reacted strongly to the universal verdict of the national press on the negativity of his side.

Has much changed? Hughes has spent much of the time since claiming a)we're not as dirty as we used to be, but b) we're were not as dirty as you claimed, not dirty at all in fact, stop being mean.

Rovers fans have voiced similar views. Reader James Greenwood was objecting to the notion that "Blackburn will be able to kick their way out of trouble" in Mailbox on Tuesday. Though he issued what observers of the late President Nixon would consider a non-denial denial: he emphasised the calibre of football played at Ewood, rather than addressing the issue of whether Blackburn try to kick their way out of trouble.

The facts are that in the Premiership only Bolton picked up more bookings than Blackburn last season and the two clubs were tied for total cards thanks to the latter's 7-4 lead in reds. Fans have suggested this is a case of referees acting on reputation, of "give a dog a bad name". In this case, Rover. But few outsiders are convinced.

Still, my impression is that Rovers are certainly much better to watch than when I was wishing relegation on them. Last season's Cup semi, against Chelsea, was a proper game of football and the losers could count themselves desperately unlucky.

In Benni McCarthy they have a striker worth paying to see, even before the club's enlightened approach to season-ticket prices this year, when there have been substantial cuts. The commitment to attack (not the kind that risks assault charges) has been maintained with the arrival of Roque Santa Cruz and Maceo Rigters. David Bentley and Morten Gamst Pedersen are excellent attacking players from midfield, too, and tenth was not flattering to Blackburn last season. Quite the opposite.

It is also safe to say that any team that is minus Andy Todd is less likely to be in trouble with the referee, though Robbie Savage is back.

Blackburn are getting a better press and Hughes's pursuit of goals should improve that further. But they will only get a good press when the foul, booking and dismissal counts drop seriously. Football in England is robust but if you are consistently the most ill-disciplined team in the country you are doing something wrong and pretending otherwise fools no one.

The success in the Intertoto Cup means that the Premier League programme is interrupted following the first game of the season (a trip to Middlesbrough). The European opposition will be determined on Friday but the first league visitors are Arsenal, beaten in the FA Cup last season by McCarthy's late goal, though 8-2 aggregate victors in the Premiership.

The second leg of the UEFA Cup tie is the filling between these two games against the Blues of Merseyside and Greater Manchester. To my reckoning, these two matches are the most significant, against a team that finished in a UEFA Cup place and one that are spending heavily to reach one. Proving themselves against such teams are one test for Blackburn; slipping down the Unfair Play League is another.

Opening fixtures: 11 Aug, Middlesbrough (a); 16 Aug, UEFA Cup qualifying first leg; 18 Aug, Arsenal (h); 25 Aug, Everton (a); 30 Aug, UEFA Cup qualifying second leg; 2 Sept, Manchester City (h)

EDIT: I'll just post links to all of them once they are all up on the site.

psycho_snake

Zoolaga said:
Its quite sad he's going. You dont find many players who have got his attitude. He keeps going and going. He had to move really. If tevez does come, he isnt going to play much. He's already behind saha in the pecking orer, so the arrival of tevez means a lot more time on the bench for him. I ope he does well at newcastle though.

psycho_snake said:
Its quite sad he's going. You dont find many players who have got his attitude. He keeps going and going. He had to move really. If tevez does come, he isnt going to play much. He's already behind saha in the pecking orer, so the arrival of tevez means a lot more time on the bench for him. I ope he does well at newcastle though.

Yeah, I wonder where they'll be playing him, I guess he showed he was capable playing behind the strikers at United, so I assume that's where he'll fit in, at least if Owen ever stays healthy for any length of time.

Well, they went from not having anyone healthy up front for a while last year to now having Martins, Viduka, Owen, Smith, Ameobi...

No matter where he fits in though, I'm sure the attitude is a part of it, as poor attitude and personal squabbles certainly seem to have been a problem at Newcastle for a while now.

On which note... Dyer also appears to be on the way out, as per someone's previous prediction. The fact that he's playing with Bowyer again is just... :lol

I'm not sure if those 2, and Bellamy on the same team is going to end well for the Hammers. Then again, maybe Curbs is more capable at handing out discipline than their previous managers have been.

Superliga Roundup. I wonder at what point the Mexican teams will start taking this seriously if MLS keeps on winning....

Ives Galarcep said:
SuperLiga: Houston wins, three MLS teams in semifinals

Brian Ching scored the lone goal of the match to help Houston defeat DC United, 1-0, in their SuperLiga match in Houston. DC United got some help from Club America though after America defeated Morelia, 3-2, in the final group match of the SuperLiga Tournament.

The results mean Houston and DC join the LA Galaxy in the SuperLiga semifinals along with Mexican champions Pachuca.

The semifinals are now set and they will be some quality match-ups. The Dynamo faces Pachuca at Robertson Stadium on August 14th in a rematch of their Champions Cup semifinal series. Pachuca won that memorable home-and-home series with a 5-2 victory in the second leg. Houston won the first leg, 2-0, at Robertson Stadium.

DC United will face the LA Galaxy at Home Depot Center on Aug. 15th. The teams actually meet in MLS competition on Aug. 9th at RFK Stadium.

The SuperLiga Final is set for Aug. 29th. It will be played in Houston if the Dynamo reaches the final. If Pachuca reaches the final then the final will be played either at RFK Stadium (or Fed Ex Field) or Home Depot Center, depending on which MLS team wins the DC-LA semifinal.

Osorio

I can almost guarantee an all MLS final for Superliga. Houston is the hottest team in the league, and Pachuca has impressed me the least of the 4 teams that advanced.

It'd be great to see an MLS team win it - may light a fire under the Mexican teams so they bring more competitive squads next time.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
It'd be great to see an MLS team win it - may light a fire under the Mexican teams so they bring more competitive squads next time.
True but at this point in time it's a bit unfair to the Mexican sides. I hope the tournament will eventually become a home and away tournament. Also, the MLS sides are in mid-season form while the Mexican sides are in pre-season form. Then again, that didn't stop the MLS teams almost winning in the Concacaf Chamions Cup either.

Osorio said:
True but at this point in time it's a bit unfair to the Mexican sides. I hope the tournament will eventually become a home and away tournament. Also, the MLS sides are in mid-season form while the Mexican sides are in pre-season form. Then again, that didn't stop the MLS teams almost winning in the Concacaf Chamions Cup either.
Absolutely, the calendar clashes between MLS, most other countries in the Western Hemisphere, and the European calendar make scheduling these types of tournaments very tough. It's typically an in-season team against an out-of-shape team.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Smith's a good signing for Newcastle, assuming he agrees to their deal. Obviously it's useful to have him if they run out of strikers, and it covers their asses if Owen does decide to leave at the last minute (which I doubt), but I think his main position will be central midfield. Geremi, Smith, Butt, Emre and Barton (assuming he avoids jail) competing for central midfield places is impressive.

Man City are kicking all sorts of ass with their signings. Bojinov is basically signed as well as the 3 today who definitely are, and I reckon if Sven left it at that they'd do very well this season. I've got a feeling we'll see another 2 or 3 arrivals though...a goalkeeper, another defender perhaps, maybe another striker or winger.

Oh and Dyer is apparently completing a medical as we speak.

Just a reminder that Arsenal-Lazio is on in an hour at 17:30 BST. I think Sky is showing it live, but the Arsenal.com broadcast will be tape-delayed one hour.

Shinobi

The Scottish FA has announced referees will watch videos of matches they have officiated and hand out retrospective yellow cards for any incidents they might have missed first time around. (Various)

Well how about that...finally a football association displaying some progressive thinking. Pretty sad that it takes the freaking Scots to show the way. :lol

Mama Smurf

Newcastle are also likely to sign Brazilian centre back Cacapa on a free. I have to admit I've never heard of him, but apparently he captained Lyon to their last 5 titles...so that shows how much attention I pay to that league.

You could say a downside is he's 31, but that's exactly what Allardyce wants, some experience in their defence. Besides, he could play another few years in that position and for a free there's really no risk.

Of course, what he still needs is full backs, but apparently he's said he needs to bring in 4 or 5 more players before the transfer window ends, so after Smith and Capaca that'll be 2 or 3.

Mama Smurf

Shinobi said:
Well how about that...finally a football association displaying some progressive thinking. Pretty sad that it takes the freaking Scots to show the way. :lol

Unfortunately FIFA are likely to forbid it as it's against their rules.

Go FIFA!

Away. Go away.

Mama Smurf said:
Sorry for 3 posts, but Eduardo just secured a work permit as I expected.
Wheeeheeeheee! Good news, though as you said, it was expected. I wonder if he'll play today.

Arsenal's squad for the Amsterdam tourney is:
1 Jens Lehmann
2 Abou Diaby
3 Bacary Sagna
4 Cesc Fabregas
5 Kolo Toure
6 Philippe Senderos
7 Tomas Rosicky
9 Eduardo
10 William Gallas
11 Robin van Persie
13 Alexander Hleb
15 Denilson
16 Mathieu Flamini
17 Alex Song
20 Johan Djourou
21 Lukasz Fabianski
22 Gael Clichy
24 Manuel Almunia
26 Nicklas Bendtner
27 Emmanuel Eboue
30 Armand Traore
31 Justin Hoyte
32 Theo Walcott

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
Unfortunately FIFA are likely to forbid it as it's against their rules.

Go FIFA!

Away. Go away.

:lol *Sigh*...

Glad the Eduardo permit is sorted...hopefully he gets a run out today to make up for lost time.

Lineup:

Arsenal
24 ALMUNIA
31 HOYTE
20 DJOUROU
6 SENDEROS
30 TRAORE
22 CLICHY
17 SONG
4 FABREGAS
32 WALCOTT
26 BENDTNER
9 EDUARDO

SUBS
11 van PERSIE
13 HLEB
7 ROSICKY
16 FLAMINI
5 TOURE
27 EBOUE
21 FABIANSKI

I guess Clichy is playing left wing?

1-1. Bendtner had the Arsenal goal after a blocked Fabregas shot. Almost HT.

Oh, and people should also stop by the IRC if GAF ever goes down.

Mama Smurf

1-1 at half-time, pretty fair reflection of the game. Not bad given that Arsenal are largely fielding a reserve team, but I really don't know if Lazio are doing the same or not, I know hardly anything about them.

Again, Arsenal concede from a corner. And towards the end a free header for a Lazio player...if Wenger doesn't want to buy taller defenders, get a new defensive coach at least.

Mama Smurf

I don't really like Walcott on the wing. He never uses his pace and skins people, it's noticeable that Eboue was a lot better there against Inter. I think he should be a striker.

Eduardo should have scored from a header, put it over. He looks alright, but Arsenal haven't got their passing game going, I'd prefer to see him with a first team. I might have judged Bendtner too quickly, he did well on his goal, good finish around the keeper. Hasn't done much else, but he can put the ball in the back of the net. On Lazio's goal it was quite poor defending. The ball dropped down in the box, a Lazio player was on the move to get it, the defenders were stagnant.

Fabregas has been kind of quiet this pre-season. I was thinking this yesterday when watching Everton, I actually think (and I don't expect agreement here) that Arteta is a better player than Fabregas. Of course, Fabregas is a lot younger and will still improve, but right now, side by side, I'd pick Arteta out of the two. Just a shame he's playing for Everton.

Mama Smurf said:
Fabregas has been kind of quiet this pre-season. I was thinking this yesterday when watching Everton, I actually think (and I don't expect agreement here) that Arteta is a better player than Fabregas. Of course, Fabregas is a lot younger and will still improve, but right now, side by side, I'd pick Arteta out of the two. Just a shame he's playing for Everton.
That's what I've heard/seen, as well. He looked decent against Inter, but wasn't asserting himself as much as I've come to expect. As to the Arteta comparison, I'd have to disagree with you on general principle, but I haven't seen enough of Arteta to accurately compare the two.

Mama Smurf said:
I think he's listening, as he just tried to score from his own half.
I can't remember Arsenal scoring one of those - the only ones I can remember are against them. (Stoopid Nayim.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom