• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GAF Rankings: Metal Gear Solid series

Oemenia

Banned
Turned out as expected, best of all, MGS2 getting a lot of praise despite its many faults.

One thing this does prove is that not many people have picked up MGS HD Collection. Come on people, MGS3 in 60 fps and PW (which as we can see has passed by many MGS fans)!

Oemenia

Banned
How is the PC version of Metal Gear Solid? Will the 360 controller work with it?
Youre better off playing it on ePSXe as you get the best controller support and graphics almost as good as the PC (ask me for the config if you want it).

ScOULaris

I really don't think PW would have placed differently if more people had played it. I think a decent amount of MGS fans who voted in the thread have played PW, but it wasn't good enough to make it into their Top 3. More people felt that MGS4 belonged in the Top 3 than PW.

I played PW, the HD PS3 version, and I think it's one of the worst in the series.

Like i said earlier. Mgs1 is one of my favorite games. But i hated 2. And i wont give it a 3rd run. the game is a true piece of shit.

but looking at the almost universal appraisal 3 gets. Could i skip 2 and just play 3?

Or would to much of the game be lost on me?

ScOULaris

Like i said earlier. Mgs1 is one of my favorite games. But i hated 2. And i wont give it a 3rd run. the game is a true piece of shit.

but looking at the almost universal appraisal 3 gets. Could i skip 2 and just play 3?

Or would to much of the game be lost on me?

Well, didn't you just say that you've already played through it twice? Why would anything be lost on you?

If I'm misunderstanding your post and you've never played MGS2, you actually won't miss much going straight to MGS3. It's an origin story, and canon-wise it's about as unrelated to MGS2 as it gets.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I hardly ever see anyone claiming that MGS2 ruined the canon. MGS4, on the other hand...

[*]The script sucked. Kojima obviously thought way too highly of his writing skills after MGS1 and came up with a complete mess. The story was idiotic and it ultimately ended up hurting the series as they were stuck with wrapping that crap up in MGS4. Plus the cutscenes go on WAY too long and it had a ton of redundant dialogue (MGS3 and MGS4 suffer from those last two as well, but they're a bit improved).[/list]

That's the one.

Poor level design. The big ring of buildings you had to run around really hampered them and made for a lot of boring areas that you ran back and forwards through.

I can't remember any backtracking in MGS2 that was as bad as key cards or PSG-1 in MGS1. I mean Twin Snakes altered both of those sections for a reason.

and I think we have different definitions of what constitutes level design in MGS so I'll leave it at that.(I personally though MGS2 had alot of interesting rooms and guard positions/patterns. and I believe these change with difficulty level as well)

Even after you leave that though, you're basically on a very straight, narrow path all the way to the end.

What Metal Gear game isn't like this? If you think two is like that how do you not fault 3,4 and Peace Walker of all games for this?

The bosses were the worst in the series by far. Self explanatory. You couldn't even win two of them (Raiden gives up fighting the Ray's), Fatman was annoying more than challenging and Vamp didn't even die.

I think the MGS bosses are a mixed bag in all the games. They all have some really good ones and really bad ones.

I think Peace Walker had the worst bosses myself overall

Well I'll say it. The story would be infinitely better without the Patriots. I don't blame MGS4 for being what it was since it was tasked with cleaning up the mess MGS2 started, which by then the overarching story was unredeemable after Portable Ops (which I pretend isn't canon).

Lol

Why do people single out Portable Ops of all games to pretend isn't canon?

What does that accomplish?

I'm using this thread as an excuse to inquire about everything that baffles me about the Metal Gear fanbase

ScOULaris

So I logged in this morning to find that my thread-making privileges had been revoked, and I can no longer send PM's either.

Since I can't PM a mod to inquire about this, I have been racking my brain for explanations as to why this might have happened.

Then I thought that maybe the OP for this thread was over the 24k character limit and I was being punished for that. So I copied the source text for the OP, pasted it into NotePad++, did a character count (including spaces), and it came up with 20089.

What the hell is going on?

Zissou

I really don't think PW would have placed differently if more people had played it. I think a decent amount of MGS fans who voted in the thread have played PW, but it wasn't good enough to make it into their Top 3. More people felt that MGS4 belonged in the Top 3 than PW.

I played PW, the HD PS3 version, and I think it's one of the worst in the series.

For what it's worth, I think that there are a good amount of people that were extremely dIsappointed with MGS4, like myself, who just lost interest in the series and didn't play PW for that reason (despite having the capability- I have a PSP and I also bought the HD collection recently, but I still don't have much interest in playing it)

This is the correct order. For ounce the GAF voting puts out solid results.

4 and PW are trash, but PW is pretty much the worst.

jbueno

For me it is 3 >2 >1 > 4. I haven't tried Portable Ops, and I'm currently going trough Peace Walker. 1 was great, but I remember preferring WinBack back then, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Top Bottom