• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Linkzg said:
Apparently im muslim, well my parents are and all my relatives are and for the most part I was raised as one and while im not totally not gung-ho about it, if someone asked me what religion I was associated with, I would say im muslim. That said, this thread has so much I didnt know about it.
I've been studying Islam all weekend. I'm non-religious. You gotta catch up buddy. :lol

AmMortal

Banned
aswedc said:
You're deliberately misreading the quote. The use of the word "me" in John 14:6 could not be more clear.

A very, very thin connection at best. What makes you think this applies to Muhammad rather than Jesus (or any other prophet)?

I've never heard this argument, but Google sure has. What is your response?

You're deliberately misreading the quote. The use of the word "me" in John 14:6 could not be more clear.

Now you are just in denial, I gave you an easy to understand and comprehend way of how Jesus was the only way to G-d when he was on earth.

I'll say it again:

Did Moses say Jesus forgive me!?

Did Abraham say Jesus forgive me!?

Did David say Jesus Forgive me!?

No,because they were the ways to G-d when Jesus was not on earth yet.

A very, very thin connection at best. What makes you think this applies to Muhammad rather than Jesus (or any other prophet)?

I'll make it more clearer how Muhammad is the same as Moses,I wonder if its still considered a small connection after this:

Like unto moses

Muslims believe in all of the previous prophets. They make no distinction between them, nor do they place one above the others in piety. However, they are all human, and as humans they differ from one another in their characteristics. Let us compare these characteristics:

1) Both Christians and Muslims agree that both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) had fathers and mothers. They both also believe that Jesus (pbuh) had only a mother and no father. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

2) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) married and begat children. Jesus (pbuh) never married nor had any offspring. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

3) Moses (pbuh) was accepted by the Jews and to this day, as a nation, they accept him as their prophet. Muhammad (pbuh) was accepted by his people, and as a nation, over one billion Muslims around the world accept him as the prophet of Allah. Jesus (pbuh), however, was rejected by his people (the Jews) as stated in the Christian's own Bible: "He (Jesus) came unto his own, but his own received him not" (John 1:11) Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

4) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) were kings on Earth in the sense that they had the ultimate power of government, the power to inflict capital punishment. When the Jews brought before Moses (pbuh) the Israelite who had been caught collecting firewood on the Sabbath, Moses had him stoned to death (Numbers 15:36). Muhammad (pbuh) had similar authority. When a woman came before him confessing (with no witnesses) to having committed adultery, he gave her a chance to consider the severity of her claim and the punishment she would receive. When she insisted, he ordered her stoned to death and ordered his companions to respect her for her sincere repentance. Jesus (pbuh), however, explicitly refuted the claim that he had a kingdom on earth. When he was dragged before the Roman Governor Pontious Pilate with a charge of sedition he said: (John 18:36) "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Jesus (pbuh) would not resort to lying to save his skin. Thus, he had no earthly kingdom. Further, in John 8:1-7 we read the story of the woman who was taken in adultery by the Jews and brought before Jesus (pbuh). They were hoping to trap him by either having him contradict the laws of Moses (pbuh) by not stoning her, or by placing him in a bad position with the Roman empire by taking the law into his own hands and ordering her stoned. Jesus cleverly extracted himself from this predicament by commanding them: "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." So the woman was set free. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

5) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) came with a new and comprehensive set of laws for their people. The law brought by prophet Moses was named the Judaic Law, and the law brought by prophet Muhammad was named the Shari'ah. Jesus (pbuh) however, as witnessed by Matthew, claimed to have not introduced any new laws, but to have come to renew the law of Moses (pbuh) and to have neither added nor subtracted from it. In Matthew 5:17-18 we read: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

6) Moses lead his people in a secret mass exodus from their hometown to Median in an attempt to flee the persecution of their enemies. Muhammad (pbut) too emigrated with his followers from their home town to Madinah in secret in order to flee the torture of their enemies. Jesus, however, never led his followers in a any sort of mass exodus from their hometowns . Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

7) Moses was victorious over his enemies both morally as well as physically. Pharaoh was defeated by Moses and all of his army were drowned in the sea. Muhammad (pbuh) too met his enemies in battle and defeated them all. This too was a moral as well as a physical victory. Jesus (pbuh) on the other hand is claimed in the Bible to have been crucified by his enemies. Thus, his victory was only a moral one. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

8) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) died natural deaths. Jesus (pbuh), is claimed by the Christians to have died violently on the cross. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

9) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbut) lie buried in the ground. Jesus (pbuh), however, is claimed by the Christians to abide in heaven. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

10) Most Christians claim that Jesus (pbuh) is God. No Christian or Muslim, however, claims that Moses or Muhammad (pbut) was God. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

11) Both Moses and Muhammad (pbuh) began their prophetic missions at the age of forty. The Bible tells us that Jesus (pbuh) began at thirty. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

12) Christians claim that Jesus (pbuh) was resurrected after his death. Neither Muslims nor Christians claim that Moses or Muhammad was resurrected. Therefore, Muhammad is like Moses, but Jesus is unlike Moses.

12 reasons why its Muhammad. Give me one why its jesus.

AmMortal

Banned
Linkzg said:
Apparently im muslim, well my parents are and all my relatives are and for the most part I was raised as one and while im not totally not gung-ho about it, if someone asked me what religion I was associated with, I would say im muslim. That said, this thread has so much I didnt know about it.

We all learn something new everyday ;)

AmMortal

Banned
Nooreo said:
I was Muslim...

But now i don't believe in a god, but i dont consider my self atheist/agnostic because i don't want to be in another group.

C'mon you know you like ramadhan food ;)

Btw

I have to go guys, see ya

quaere

Warrior300 said:

Now you are just in denial, I gave you an easy to understand and comprehend way of how Jesus was the only way to G-d when he was on earth.

I'll say it again:

Did Moses say Jesus forgive me!?

Did Abraham say Jesus forgive me!?

Did David say Jesus Forgive me!?

No,because they were the ways to G-d when Jesus was not on earth yet.
You're fundamentally misunderstanding the role the Bible presents for these people. Moses, Abraham, and David never claimed to be a way to God.
Warrior300 said:
Muslims believe in all of the previous prophets. They make no distinction between them, nor do they place one above the others in piety. However, they are all human, and as humans they differ from one another in their characteristics. Let us compare these characteristics:
:lol at some of these.

Jesus and Moses were both human, WOW!

Thanks for your answers. Although I think they are logic free, it's informative to know the arguments religions use to defend their positions.

Hadji

Banned
As an atheist mentioned previously in an early post, the verse about "no compulsion in religion" is about forcing people into Islam. This has nothing to do with apostates.

I appreciate the effort warrior300, but as others have mentioned GAF isn't the best place to start a discussion like this since a really small percentage will take this seriously.

So, your thoughts on authentic hadeeths? *cracks fingers*

Edit: The simple answer to the verse from John is that Muslims believe that the Bible is corrupted and unreliable, thus there are no ways to know if Jesus really said what he dead through it.

AmMortal

Banned
Hadji said:
As an atheist mentioned previously in an early post, the verse about "no compulsion in religion" is about forcing people into Islam. This has nothing to do with apostates.

I appreciate the effort warrior300, but as others have mentioned GAF isn't the best place to start a discussion like this since a really small percentage will take this seriously.

So, your thoughts on authentic hadeeths? *cracks fingers*

Edit: The simple answer to the verse from John is that Muslims believe that the Bible is corrupted and unreliable, thus there are no ways to know if Jesus really said what he dead through it.

:lol *cracksneck*
My last post, I'm not too good on that topic I need more time on that. I don't like jumping into areas were I can't represent Islam as it should be. Granted, when I do I will be ready for you.

You could just fire one at me, i'll see what I can do to block it.

I need to leave now but Just throw one at me, I'll get to see it when I come back

:)

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What about me? My mother is Turkish. Would that make me "half muslim"?

P.S. Turkish Gaffers REPRESENT!

Being Turkish doesn't mean you are muslim, unless your parents told you one of them was.

There are enough jewish and Christian Turks out there so...

In any case every single one of us was a Muslim at birth until the age of puberty, then whatever we did from that moment on was our and only our responsibility.
That is why Muslim converts are called REVERTS as in " they came back".

Hadji

Banned
Warrior300 said:
:lol *cracksneck*
My last post, I'm not too good on that topic I need more time on that. I don't like jumping into areas were I can't represent Islam as it should be. Granted, when I do I will be ready for you.

You could just fire one at me, i'll see what I can do to block it.

I need to leave now but Just throw one at me, I'll get to see it when I come back

:)

Not too good on what topic? Apostates or hadeeth? I wasn't really testing you or anything, I just wanted to know your stance regarding authentic hadeeth.

Pbuh = Peace be upon him.

AmMortal

Banned
Hadji said:
Not too good on what topic? Apostates or hadeeth? I wasn't really testing you or anything, I just wanted to know your stance regarding authentic hadeeth.

Pbuh = Peace be upon him.

Hadith Methodology is very complex.

Zapages

First I'd like to applaud Warrior003 for this thread.... As I talked with him. I was going to write a whole article about Khilfate, aka Caliphate in the west. But I ran into this great website that details and showcases everything.

Just one note, the Council of Ummah is elected by the people.

Here's a great site which showcases how Caliphate is structure and ran: http://www.khilafah.com/kcom/

The Structure: http://www.khilafah.com/kcom/the-khilafah/structure.html

Hadji

Banned
Warrior300 said:
off course.

What's the catch?:lol :lol

No catch at all.

I was just going to destroy your whole thread if you said that you didn't, since hadeeth rejectors have no foundation to build their faith upon. ^__^

KRS7

Under what conditions can daily prayer be skipped? Such as if you are in an airplane, driving, tending to an emergency, etc... If you skip a prayer do you need to make it up or anything. Also, does the Muslim requirement for alms giving apply only to fellow Muslims, or is aid given to infidels as well?

Yasser

KRS7 said:
Under what conditions can daily prayer be skipped? Such as if you are in an airplane, driving, tending to an emergency, etc... If you skip a prayer do you need to make it up or anything. Also, does the Muslim requirement for alms giving apply only to fellow Muslims, or is aid given to infidels as well?
you can never really skip one of the compulsory prayers, there are rules. e.g. if you can't move your legs/body you can pray sitting, if you can't do that then think in your mind you are. also, there's a fairly large-ish timeframe available, it's not like you must pray at a given point in time. as for being in an airplane, well you have to pray on something even and stationary, which a plane isn't (not while in flight anyway). i don't know enough about alms to confidently answer, sorry

HotByCold

Banned
Yasser said:
you can never really skip one of the compulsory prayers, there are rules. e.g. if you can't move your legs/body you can pray sitting, if you can't do that then think in your mind you are. also, there's a fairly large-ish timeframe available, it's not like you must pray at a given point in time. as for being in an airplane, well you have to pray on something even and stationary, which a plane isn't (not while in flight anyway). i don't know enough about alms to confidently answer, sorry
Well, the shia only have to pray 3 times/day and can even do all prayers in one occasion.

The "problem" with religion and athiesm is the same. People are all to willing to give their opinions as the one and only true way, resulting in the mess we have now where there's a lot of faithful people in numbers due to people telling others to follow them but few who are actually serious about it.

It'd be better if people were allowed to make these decisions as adults.

Even in the Bible it says the following:

"MANY ARE CALLED, BUT FEW ARE CHOSEN"

Hadji

Banned
HotByCold said:
Well, the shia only have to pray 3 times/day and can even do all prayers in one occasion.

I thought this was the Official Islam Thread! >=D

Hahaha! I keed, I keed.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I'm gonna go ahead and open up a can-o-worms and ask about the differences between Sunni and Shia muslims. How did all that get started and why do they seem to hate each other so much today?

FightyF

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh no, "cold, hard logic" is fine. You do that. He is merely trying to help people better understand his faith, not try to convert people to islam. That is what I am commending. We could use more of that around here.

That's true...but...

Warrior, I have an issue with:

Girls in the Islamic world, laugh at the western girls. How they are enslaved to the male desire and are somewhat forced to wear make-up 24/7 or that they have to wear tight clothes even in cold days. To event the extremes of physical alterations to show that they are "free".

I'm sure people can see how a hijab empowers a woman, and come to that conclusion themselves without statements like this. Secondly, not all girls in the Islamic world laugh at western girls, many of them are being oppressed (and sure, it's due to culture) and wish they were like western girls (well, the ones who aren't abused themselves). The fact is that sexism is a cancer in the Islamic World that has to be weeded out. Making comparisons when this sexism exists...doesn't make sense to me.

So I suggest sticking to the faith itself, and what is expected of Muslims in regards to treatment of mothers/sisters/daughters/spouses, etc. People can come to their own conclusions.

Don't mean to pick on you, I've done the same when I was younger. I used to live in Red Deer and being the only Muslim there I sometimes went on the aggressive and it didn't really serve any purpose.

Hadji

Banned
DOO13ER said:
I'm gonna go ahead and open up a can-o-worms and ask about the differences between Sunni and Shia muslims. How did all that get started and why do they seem to hate each other so much today?

I think the better question is "what are the similarities"?

We disagree about the simplest matters like basic creed and pretty much every little detail in jurisprudence.

Shiasm technically started off as a political sect, however, that sect was always and is still today respected by Sunnis. Some Sunnis today even prefer that sect over the other Muslims of the time. However, decades and centuries later, groups that belonged to that political sect created their own religious views, forged traditions, and brought a new interpretation to Islam that didn't exist at the time of the Prophet (pbuh).

Amir0x

Banned
FightyF said:
That's true...but...

Warrior, I have an issue with:

I'm sure people can see how a hijab empowers a woman, and come to that conclusion themselves without statements like this. Secondly, not all girls in the Islamic world laugh at western girls, many of them are being oppressed (and sure, it's due to culture) and wish they were like western girls (well, the ones who aren't abused themselves). The fact is that sexism is a cancer in the Islamic World that has to be weeded out. Making comparisons when this sexism exists...doesn't make sense to me.

So I suggest sticking to the faith itself, and what is expected of Muslims in regards to treatment of mothers/sisters/daughters/spouses, etc. People can come to their own conclusions.

Don't mean to pick on you, I've done the same when I was younger. I used to live in Red Deer and being the only Muslim there I sometimes went on the aggressive and it didn't really serve any purpose.

Yes I can see how that particular line could offend sensibilities. As a red blooded American, it didn't offend me at all... I saw it as a passionate defense of what he sees as the preferential way to treat females. It's not exactly an offensive or controversial statement to say females are objectified in Western Cultures in many real ways, including what is considered appropriate dress. As Islam is his religion, it makes sense he would hold this viewpoint and argue for it in this way. Naturally, the argument could be made that females are treated as second class citizens in many Islamic countries - his argument of course being that's "fake" Islam.

But I could see what that might have seemed instigative.

king zell

Warrior.. thank you so much for making this thread

I always wanted other people including GAFers to understand Islam more.. :)

CHYME

Banned
Hadji said:
groups that belonged to that political sect created their own religious views, forged traditions, and brought a new interpretation to Islam that didn't exist at the time of the Prophet (pbuh).

Hasn't a large majority of violence in Iraq been due to Sunni extremists?

AmMortal

Banned
avaya said:
Technically speaking everything you consume alters your mindstate. Where does it stop?

Okay Fast one guys, I will be back for the others tommorow or sooner Insha Allah ( G-d Willing)

Islam demands that you should never be involved in that which makes you lose your ability to think clearly and sensibly, you should always be able to identify what is wrong from right. You wouldnt be talking like this if one of you family members or loved ones got hit by a drunk driver.

-->Sleeping with an ugly chick/DUDE because you were drunk is a wrong <--
:lol

Also Islam forbids anything that can possibly hurt you or the others around you as a consequence.

king zell said:
Warrior.. thank you so much for making this thread

I always wanted other people including GAFers to understand Islam more.. :)
Just doing what we are supposed to do ^__^

ByezzzZz.

Ace 8095

Warrior what makes you so sure that what you believe in is real and that all other religions are false? I'm not attacking you. I only want to know your reasoning.

Warrior300 said:
Okay Fast one guys, I will be back for the others tommorow or sooner Insha Allah ( G-d Willing)

Islam demands that you should never be involved in that which makes you lose your ability to think clearly and sensibly, you should always be able to identify what is wrong from right. You wouldnt be talking like this if one of you family members or loved ones got hit by a drunk driver.

-->Sleeping with an ugly chick/DUDE because you were drunk is a wrong <--
:lol

Also Islam forbids anything that can possibly hurt you or the others around you as a consequence.

ByezzzZz.

I cut myself once while slicing some cucumbers. Is that forbidden?

Ace 8095 said:
Warrior what makes you so sure that what you believe in is real and that all other religions are false? I'm not attacking you. I only want to know your reasoning.

Because he was indoctrinated as a young child, dur

CHYME

Banned
Hadji said:
It has.

What does the violence in Iraq have to do with the history of Shiasm?

Well, you're essentially saying that Shiaism has become unislamic, if you will. But what's more unislamic than killing countless innocent people?

AmMortal

Banned
Ace 8095 said:

Firstly, my religion, the founder of it, the people, all of it has been prophecised in ALL other religions, I will show you tommorow Insha Allah ( G-d willing).

IN Hinduism
In Christianity
In Judaism etc.

All I will show you.

My religion is not something new, it is what all of them above used to be, before people made alterations to it and changed extremly and selfishly because of the hands of men who saw to seek power using the name of G-d.

But I'll show you tommorow, i'm pretty tired of Replying to everyone lol

funkmastergeneral said:
I cut myself once while slicing some cucumbers. Is that forbidden?

Because he was indoctrinated as a young child, dur

You know what I mean, something that is deliberately done to hurt you or anyone else. No one ever forced me to do anything with regards to my faith, I do everything voluntarily, after certain dreams, I got scared...

Fuzzery

Amir0x said:
Yes I can see how that particular line could offend sensibilities. As a red blooded American, it didn't offend me at all... I saw it as a passionate defense of what he sees as the preferential way to treat females. It's not exactly an offensive or controversial statement to say females are objectified in Western Cultures in many real ways, including what is considered appropriate dress. As Islam is his religion, it makes sense he would hold this viewpoint and argue for it in this way. Naturally, the argument could be made that females are treated as second class citizens in many Islamic countries - his argument of course being that's "fake" Islam.

But I could see what that might have seemed instigative.
Exactly what my entire point was. I'm sure they can defend stuff like Sharia Law with scripture, word for word. I'm sure they have scholars who have studied the Qur'an for 70 years, and have far more experience with it than you. You can say they are the ones taking things out of context, but in their eyes it's YOU who's interpreting it wrong. So in the end, it is no more "fake" than the Islam that you practice.

Hadji

Banned
CHYME said:
Well, you're essentially saying that Shiaism has become unislamic, if you will. But what's more unislamic than killing countless innocent people?

I'm not justifying the actions of extremists in Iraq, it doesn't matter what sect they belong to. Those actions are unislamic.

However, the Sunni creed itself is Islamic and the Shi'ite creed is not. I hope this has made it clearer.

AmMortal

Banned
Hadji said:
I'm not justifying the actions of extremists in Iraq, it doesn't matter what sect they belong to. Those actions are unislamic.

However, the Sunni creed itself is Islamic and the Shi'ite creed is not. I hope this has made it clearer.

yes exactly, i will focus on that tommorow Insh Allah ( G-d willing)

Warrior300 said:
yes exactly, i will focus on that tommorow Insh Allah ( G-d willing)

How is saying G-d willing any better then saying god willing? It's like calling someone the N-word (don't feel like getting banned today...) and just taking out the i

Also, I think Islam is pretty rad. Definitely prefer it over the nuts in Christianity. But dude, your brand of Islam makes you seem like a basket case. From my very, very limited experience reading about the Bedouins in the Middle East, all this bullshit you're spouting was meaningless. The Bedouins didn't judge people, they let God do the judging. They were hospitable to you regardless of who you were, well unless there was a blood feud with your tribe. What I got out of it was that the only relationship that really mattered was between you and God, maybe I'm way off base here but even as an athiest I think that's a beautiful thing.

AmMortal

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
How is saying G-d willing any better then saying god willing? It's like calling someone the N-word (don't feel like getting banned today...) and just taking out the i

God spelled backwards is ...you know what ...

that is why I only say Allah and if I HAVE to I say G-d to avoid it.

Hadji

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:

I was curious about that myself actually. =p

Similarly I've never seen an ALL-H before either.

Formless

The seclusion of women was not originally a Muslim practice. Islam tends to adapt and cater to newly exposed cultures, and the areas around the birthplace of Islam practiced this seclusion, and soon it was adopted into Islamic tradition. Says my history teacher of old anyway.

Ace 8095

Warrior300 said:
Firstly, my religion, the founder of it, the people, all of it has been prophecised in ALL other religions, I will show you tommorow Insha Allah ( G-d willing).

IN Hinduism
In Christianity
In Judaism etc.

All I will show you.

My religion is not something new, it is what all of them above used to be, before people made alterations to it and changed extremly and selfishly because of the hands of men who saw to seek power using the name of G-d.

But I'll show you tommorow, i'm pretty tired of Replying to everyone lol
You say your religion has been prophesized in other religions and then go on to say that those same religions have been altered and no longer contain truth. How do you know that when Judaism and Christianity was unaltered it prophesized Islam at all? Assuming it did, saying a prophet will come who will speak the truth of God is rater unspecific.

AmMortal

Banned
lopaz said:
I dun't care if it's a choice, the notion of women having to cover themselves is pretty offensive

Mary the Mother of Jesus is she a slave and oppressed?

Oppression is when a perfectly pretty girl is set to a low that she has to go to extremes like anorxic behaviour to make herself feel known and noticed.

Hadji

Banned
Formless said:
The seclusion of women was not originally a Muslim practice. Islam tends to adapt and cater to newly exposed cultures, and the areas around the birthplace of Islam practiced this seclusion, and soon it was adopted into Islamic tradition. Says my history teacher of old anyway.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but your history teacher is as credible as wikipedia.

Top Bottom