• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Jade Raymond's Assassin's Creed thread of PATRICE BRISEBOIS

Barakov

TTG said:
A question about the last assassination in Jerusalem.

were they suppose to spot me at the funeral? I'm guessing they were. I climbed around the gate and was making my way aroung the other side of the cemetery to get closer to the victim without getting spotted when the cutscene started playing. As a result I couldn't jump to the next ledge so I had to climb back down and join the crowd. At that point ofcourse there's a cutscene where the templar picks you out from the crowd and the fight begins. If you die during the fight it will restart you AFTER you've been exposed, it seems very scripted.

Yes. I believe they were supposed to spot you. I wish I took out those archers before hand. It made it even worse when I died the first time and when the game was loading and that automated voice game me a "protip" saying I should take out the archers before I attempted the assassination. Too late for that, though! :lol

TTG

WrikaWrek said:
The combat makes me feel like the Jason Bourne of medieval times. I'm a mean son of a bitch, using the knife in a fight is just amazing, and did my jaw fall off when i broke the son of a bitch leg and then his neck.

Yea, the combat some of the most brutal and realistic you'll see in a game. The counter with the short sword where he catches him off balance and just slices at the guard's face... holly crap. Someone should really put a mantage together on youtube, there's maybe 5-10 that are just vicious.

TTG

Barakov said:
Yes. I believe they were supposed to spot you. I wish I took out those archers before hand. It made it even worse when I died the first time and when the game was loading and that automated voice game me a "protip" saying I should take out the archers before I attempted the assassination. Too late for that, though! :lol

I died twice because I was trying to leave the target itself for last, after that I just
led them away to a rooftop and slaughtered them

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
WrikaWrek said:
The combat makes me feel like the Jason Bourne of medieval times. I'm a mean son of a bitch, using the knife in a fight is just amazing, and did my jaw fall off when i broke the son of a bitch leg and then his neck.

That's what i call a cool move. Hopefully they will build on what they have here, increase the A.I, and give a bit more depth to the attacking moves.

You should put that knife away and use the hidden blade. Holy fucking brutal.

Stabbing dudes in the eye, or punching them in the jaw with a knife. It's hardcore.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
For all the hype of the melee combat animation and/or fighting system that I seem to remember from Uncharted's early days, the game really let me down on that front. There were 2 brutal combos, basically, and if you didn't use them, you were an idiot. Actually, the game didn't really let you melee all that much to begin with, since sneaking around was a pointless endeavor. Ah, enough talk about Uncharted.

You ghost-wrote the Gametrailers Uncharted review?! It all makes sense!

Okay, I'm done making fun of :)

WrikaWrek

Banned
chespace said:

Stabbing dudes in the eye, or punching them in the jaw with a knife. It's hardcore.

I like the hidden blade. Piercing the guy's skull twice with the thing makes me feel like a lunatic but it's cool i guess, if you have something wrong in your head.

But it's harder to counter, i end up taking lot's of damage, and since normally if you just counter there will be dead times in the fight, i like to mix things with attacking and countering instead of just waiting. I must be one of the few that actually take full advantage of the combat options, and by myself spice things up. If you just counter, the combat will appear broken and boring. However if you try to grab, and do the defense brake, and do the attacking combos and counter when a son of a bitch is trying to get you from behind, at times, it will look like a choreographed movie.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
reilo said:
You ghost-wrote the Gametrailers Uncharted review?! It all makes sense!

Okay, I'm done making fun of :)

Most of the Uncharted defense force consists of this response to any criticism of the game ---> :lol

Are you saying you liked the melee? Because I thought it was both underwhelming, underused, and uh, why are we having this discussion in the AC thread? :)

Oh, I know why. Because we're talking about how awesome the animation is in Assassin's Creed -- because it really does feel satisfying when you gut one of those guards with your curved arabic dagger.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
Most of the Uncharted defense force consists of this response to any criticism of the game ---> :lol

Are you saying you liked the melee? Because I thought it was both underwhelming, underused, and uh, why are we having this discussion in the AC thread? :)

Oh, I know why. Because we're talking about how awesome the animation is in Assassin's Creed -- because it really does feel satisfying when you gut one of those guards with your curved arabic dagger.

I actually prefer to slide under a guy and punch him in the nuts, only to hear my character yell out "No kids for you!"

Bildi

chespace said:
My favourite move is chasing a guard through the crowds when he's fleeing and doing a high profile assassination in the middle of a whole bunch of people. So fucking satisfying.

RSTEIN said:
:lol I'm nominating you for son of the year.
:lol Thanks dude.

Bildi said:
My favourite move is chasing a guard through the crowds when he's fleeing and doing a high profile assassination in the middle of a whole bunch of people. So fucking satisfying.

Yeah and I introduce irony by going into blend mode immediately after assassinating someone in front of a crowd.

Bildi

Opus Angelorum said:
Yeah and I introduce irony by going into blend mode immediately after assassinating someone in front of a crowd.
Well, that is the point of the blend mechanic. If a guard isn't looking at you you can blend and disappear into the crowd - you are a stealth assassin after all and it's your job to disappear.

I really like being able to do that. :D

TTG

Bildi said:

The way the crowd reacts to combat is just fucking epic. All shit breaks loose in a crowded area, just 50-100 people panic and get the fuck out of there while you calmly make your way toward your opponents. You just hear screaming and crying, vases break, even the drunks run off.

Bildi

TTG said:
The way the crowd reacts to combat is just fucking epic. All shit breaks loose in a crowded area, just 50-100 people panic and get the fuck out of there while you calmly make your way toward your opponents. You just hear screaming and crying, vases break, even the drunks run off.
Hell yeah! I love how you jump on top of the guard right in the middle of all these people, and by the time you hit the ground the crowd has all dispersed and you've pinned him to the ground and there's chaos everywhere.

Then you blend and start walking up the street and then come across another guard coming your way on his rounds - walk right up to his face and do a stealth assassination from in front. Just awesome.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just finished the game, felt compelled to post my thoughts. before i begin, bare in mind i havent followed this thread at all post release and only skimmed some of the early reviews. i'll try to keep it quick and simple, mainly with bullets for pluses and minuses and some explanations for my comments.

walking into my purchase, i expected a game with a deep and compelling story with an interesting twist (that i had kept from myself with only the vague inclination of a modern day/futuristic setting)

Positives:
+ incredible graphics/animations
+ great controls - moving altair through the environments was great, i found combat to be well done.
+ satisfying core gameplay - while a bit more variety in objectives and feel for different locals would have been welcomed, i never felt bored with the main aspect of the game (exploring and investigating the cities and working up to the assassinations)

Negatives:
- poor presentation - maybe its the fact that i walked in expecting this to be one of the high points of the game, but i found the story, cut scenes, repetitive dialog all extremely disappointing.

- i HATED (/bold) the modern day sections of the game. they were slow, plodding, and pointless. they weren't interesting in the slightest and completely took me out of the fun i found in the rest of the game. wake up ("the following morning..."). talk with scientist. walk (slowly) to machine. talk some more with girl. hit a button to enter game. awake from machine. talk with scientist. walk (slowly) to bedroom. hit a to sleep. <repeat> sorry for the spoilers. YUK!

now that i'm done, i'm not sure on how i'd score it. presentation goes a long way with me and that is definitely assasin's biggest failing aspect. the core game was fun though (admittedly a tad repetitive) and i'm sure they can expand upon it further for the inevitable sequel.

TTG

op_ivy said:
- i HATED (/bold) the modern day sections of the game. they were slow, plodding, and pointless. they weren't interesting in the slightest and completely took me out of the fun i found in the rest of the game. wake up ("the following morning..."). talk with scientist. walk (slowly) to machine. talk some more with girl. hit a button to enter game. awake from machine. talk with scientist. walk (slowly) to bedroom. hit a to sleep. <repeat> sorry for the spoilers. YUK!

I kept waiting and waiting for an assassin-in-the-future mission and it never came. :(

Also, if anyone has a good link or description for the ending, I'm all ears.

DrBo42

Bildi said:
Hell yeah! I love how you jump on top of the guard right in the middle of all these people, and by the time you hit the ground the crowd has all dispersed and you've pinned him to the ground and there's chaos everywhere.

Then you blend and start walking up the street and then come across another guard coming your way on his rounds - walk right up to his face and do a stealth assassination from in front. Just awesome.

This reminds me, are you able to use someone to break your fall like in that announcement trailer? I was never able to do it, I assume you can't.

how do you kill one of your marks "like an assassin" to get the achievement? I've killed one with the wrist blade from behind, that didnt do it.

DrBo42

TTG said:
I kept waiting and waiting for an assassin-in-the-future mission and it never came. :(

Also, if anyone has a good link or description for the ending, I'm all ears.

They find the apple of Eden from your memories. It serves as both mind control (which Abstergo planned to launch into space in a satellite to control the planet) and a map for the other artifacts. Abstergo is actually a company run by modern day Templars. Their goal is the same as the Crusade version: World domination. You find out that Subject Sixteen (Desmond is Subj. Seventeen) experienced what is known as The Bleeding Effect. Basically through the process of reliving the memories the mind is no longer able to tell the difference between the lives and eventually the two personas meld. Which is why Desmond has the Eagle Vision power at the end of the game. You find writings in blood with it in your holding area. They were written by #16 and hint to future locations.

Bildi

DrBo42 said:
This reminds me, are you able to use someone to break your fall like in that announcement trailer? I was never able to do it, I assume you can't.
Not that I'm aware of. Closest I get is jumping onto a horse - makes me feel like Zorro. I find it really difficult to even assassinate someone when jumping off a roof - only done it a couple of times.

In the next game I'd really like to see attention paid to the actions you can do at the end of jumps.

conman

kinn said:
Agreed. Took me a while to get to the top but when I did...It had the best view of them all!

And for the HUDless users, how do you do the missions where you need to assassinate 2-3 guys within a time limit? Loved the game and will play through it again eventually. At the moment I'm just farting about in the game!
Check under stealth assassinations in this post.

Basically:
Once you talk to the informant who tells you to hunt the guys down, switch into Eagle Vision. Use it like a sonar device. Follow the sound, and it'll lead you to your targets.

This is one of the coolest details that you would never notice if you had played the game with the HUD/map combo.

TTG

DrBo42 said:
They find the apple of Eden from your memories. It serves as both mind control (which Abstergo planned to launch into space in a satellite to control the planet) and a map for the other artifacts. Abstergo is actually a company run by modern day Templars. Their goal is the same as the Crusade version: World domination. You find out that Subject Sixteen (Desmond is Subj. Seventeen) experienced what is known as The Bleeding Effect. Basically through the process of reliving the memories the mind is no longer able to tell the difference between the lives and eventually the two personas meld. Which is why Desmond has the Eagle Vision power at the end of the game. You find writings in blood with it in your holding area. They were written by #16 and hint to future locations.

Right, that much is a given. I was hoping more for an explanation of some of
the writings on the floor and walls. And the other phenomena that are in the email in the conference room lap top. I think it included the Philadelphia Project(funny enough HL2:ep2 borrows the same story) and the poisoning of a water supply in the town they keep reffering to. There's also the talk Desmond has with the Templar/Doctor and he says that the piece of eden is from "ones that came before". And it's never really explained why the piece of eden is a map in itself of these other objects that have other abilities(the piece of eden just happens to have mind control powers).

They left the door waaaaaayyyyy wide open for all kinds of stuff.

OmonRa

TTG said:
thanks, interesting link. Like I said, they leave the door waaayyyyyy wide open. There's still 1 more thing I'm interested in.

Before you kill the final boss, Altair says a single line in arabic. It's the only arabic he speaks the whole game, I wonder what it could mean.

"Nothing is true, Everything is permitted."

X26

Banned
RiZ III said:
Just finished it. Concerning the ending:
worst ever

Never had my balls been so blue

But I liked the ending for the most part, just too bad in the end it's just a giant
cliffhanger
afterall

OmonRa

Green Shinobi said:
So is this a 7/10 game, or not? Impressions on this page seem pretty good. I'm thinking of buying this one. Should I?

I don't know how to answer your question fairly. Some people love it. Some people don't. I would say that the majority of GAF impressions are positive (i.e. not 7/10) but there remain people who definitely don't like it (or only thing it's ok).

I am biased so I'm going to tell you to go and buy 30 copies of the LE and then tell everyone you know to buy 30 more. Other people on this board will tell you to rent it in order to best determine if you should throw down the cash. Still others will tell you it is TEH MOST DISAPPOINTING GAME EVER AND WHILE SEX MAY BE REPETITIVE TOO IT IS MORE FUN THAN THIS DISASTERPIECE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
absolutely loving it thus far. Just figured out how to do that running heart stab with the small blade. sick.

RiZ III

O im sorry, I forgot to add
IMFO

edit:
It was a shit ending simply because it didn't end anything. Yes I realize this is a trilogy, but that doesn't meant it can't have some sort of ending. Matrix1 had an ending, so did Pirates of the Carribeans, Star Wars, so on...

OmonRa

WrikaWrek said:
Why is the ending bad?

Because you have to put the pieces together yourself instead of having it presented to you via cutscene. So you don't end with any kind of grand action or reveal (outside of what you as a player realize) and that can be unfulfilling. There is no "reward" for everything you've just gone through.

The story in the past, however, does have a relatively definitive conclusion.

Bildi

Green Shinobi said:
So is this a 7/10 game, or not? Impressions on this page seem pretty good. I'm thinking of buying this one. Should I?
It's really hard to say - opinion is so divided. Maybe read/view some of the reviews that have scored high and not high and based on your own gaming preferences you might be able to identify with one or the other.

I like stealth games and I don't have a problem playing games that have a steady (some would say slow) pace. When I looked at reviews it seemed split into roughly two camps - some went through quite quick doing mostly just the required missions (and found it repetitive) while some liked to stop and look around the world doing more non-required side missions (they seemed to not find it repetitive).

I thought I'd be in the latter group and it turns out I am. Also I was interested by the concept for a long time, and also wanted to play without the HUD since they first announced that you could. I don't think playing with the HUD automatically ruins the game - it comes down to what you prefer as evidenced by people in this thread who are happy playing with and without the HUD. But if playing with no HUD sounds interesting to you, it's completely do-able and not difficult at all.

Phthisis

RiZ III said:
O im sorry, I forgot to add
IMFO

edit:
It was a shit ending simply because it didn't end anything. Yes I realize this is a trilogy, but that doesn't meant it can't have some sort of ending. Matrix1 had an ending, so did Pirates of the Carribeans, Star Wars, so on...

Think of it this way: Assassin's Creed ended
Altair's story but was essentially just a prologue for Desmond's.

Green Shinobi: game is much closer to a 9 than a 7.

TTG

Phthisis said:
Think of it this way: Assassin's Creed ended
Altair's story but was essentially just a prologue for Desmond's.

Green Shinobi: game is much closer to a 9 than a 7.

Too bad Desmond is a whiny bitch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
edit: I'm going to retract my statement and wait until I do a few more missions before passing judgment on the game.

kinn

WrikaWrek said:
So you guys seen the writings on the floor and wall at the end of the game? Lot's of clues to who was there before and maybe where we are going next. There was a lot of Asian, japanese i guess, writing, and there were even drawings of two japanese looking towers, so maybe japan is next? That would rock, if they did it right, hopefully if they do it they don't go tenchu on our asses.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=175552. Kind of explains what all those weird markings and texts are. I get the feeling that the next game will be set in Japan as well and will be set timewise before Assassins 1. Well thats what I thought when reading that. Anyone else think the same?

chespace said:

Insta-kill everytime. It's the only move I used. There's nothing like
killing all those sodiers at the end, and the final "boss" in one hit.

Play Shinobi PS2

Bildi said:
The coolest looking move though is when you sneak up from behind and do a high-profile kill (without pressing any directions). Altair pushes the victim to thier knees then stabs them in the kneck. It looks like execution. I always do it to any guys on roofs alone.

TTG said:
thanks, interesting link. Like I said, they leave the door waaayyyyyy wide open. There's still 1 more thing I'm interested in.

Before you kill the final boss, Altair says a single line in arabic. It's the only arabic he speaks the whole game, I wonder what it could mean.

He does have other lines in Arabic but you might not notice that he says them. When you start a fight with guards he'll say a line in Arabic, like (kinda literal translation) "Get out of my face". (&#1575;&#1594;&#1585;&#1576; &#1593;&#1606; &#1608;&#1580;&#1607;&#1610;).

WrikaWrek

Banned
kinn said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=175552. Kind of explains what all those weird markings and texts are. I get the feeling that the next game will be set in Japan as well and will be set timewise before Assassins 1. Well thats what I thought when reading that. Anyone else think the same?

Cool, the link is screwed but i found it anyway. Really awesome info, and i thought this game had a deep story...damn, lot's of info there.

I'm even more hyped for the sequel now. And yeah it seems like it (Your conclusion). Altough there are very interesting tid bits about that possible "jesus christ game" that Patrice has talked about before, a game set during that time, where you actually see him and such. Who knows, we will see.

conman said:
No map.
No HUD.

Learn to trust your senses. Let the Creed flow through you.
And read this.
Thanks. I'll play this way for now. I've been doing only three assassination but the game started to be repetitive so i guess i'll be more fun and immersive if i try without the hud.
The other thing is that i don't know what are the different combos (maybe i don't have access to a lot because of the little progress i've made in the game).

mrkgoo

Just started to have a go at this. Turned off all the HUDs, and it's incredibly immersive, but I want to turn them back on again, because, even though I recognise most of the clues, I find myself wandering aimlessly until I encounter a clue anyway. I managed to figure out the eagles thing for each tower, but I feel like I should be doing all the objectives, but that would be kinda hard without the map.

However, the added immersion without HUDs is amazing. You're bouncing your way along, and you 'chance' upon someone screaming for help. You perch over head (so cool) and watch for a bit and leap down to take the guards out. Awesome.

Just a question for the 'no HUD' camp - are you completing everything? Again without HUD, you are just aimlessly wandering- yes, the clues, but missions like the eavesdropping - you tend to go wandering around until you see the help come up anyway...or does the help go away after a while? I'm in damacus.

Also, is it just me or is the Eagle vision pixelley lo-res, and hard to make out differences in colour? Am I supposed to just flick it on then off and look for the residuals?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
mrkgoo said:
However, the added immersion without HUDs is amazing. You're bouncing your way along, and you 'chance' upon someone screaming for help. You perch over head (so cool) and watch for a bit and leap down to take the guards out. Awesome.
Agreed!

mrkgoo said:
Just a question for the 'no HUD' camp - are you completing everything? Again without HUD, you are just aimlessly wandering- yes, the clues, but missions like the eavesdropping - you tend to go wandering around until you see the help come up anyway...or does the help go away after a while? I'm in damacus.
Since the 3rd assassination, I've been doing as much of a new area as I can without using anything at all except Altair's senses. I'm constantly surprised at how often you come across a citizen in need or an investigation mission just while pissing about or hunting flags. One of the most rewarding parts of the game for me is randomly happening on a lone Templar guy, or one of your informer buddies for a quick and dirty side-mission :)

When you say "help" do you mean the simple black caption that pops up telling you an eavesdrop or pickpocket or something is nearby? I don't think those go away, but it's usually apparent where you'll come across them before it alerts you.

I revert to the map once rooting out the rest of the supplementary stuff gets tricky. It's easy to miss a few things, but I'm one of those who wants to get everything straight before I go for the main mission.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i want templars to die. every time i run into one, i try to counter their first attack and fail to do so, and they beat me into the ground and throw me around for a bit before i'm able to counter their attack. but it always just knocks them down, so i stand over them as they try to get up, cheaply hacking them in the back with my sword until they stop moving.

Top Bottom