• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

thuway

TwinsDad said:
Maybe the price drop rumor. I was set to finally get one. But I decided to play the cards to see if I can get the new MB version later at the same price.
I don't think that is the entirety of the reason. You, me, and the usuals on the forums make up for a small percentage of the grand scheme picture. MGS4 has really kicked the PS3 in the nuts. Sony - I would send a nice money hat to Konami right now.

Nolan.

How is it the 360 manages to do decent sales for all these games and the one game in the top 10 for ps3 isn't higher.

Kyoufu

Nolan. said:
How is it the 360 manages to do decent sales for all these games and the one game in the top 10 for ps3 isn't higher.

PS3s are also Blu-Ray players, so I wouldn't assume that everyone who buys one buys a game with it.

WickedLaharl said:
so glad to see SCIV up there!

kinda surprised that the 360 version sold better then the ps3 version though.

I was surprised to see the differential that close actually.....I mean it doesn't need to be said how many more 360's there are than PS3's in America.

Grecco

WickedLaharl said:
so glad to see SCIV up there!

kinda surprised that the 360 version sold better then the ps3 version though.

Why? Greater Installed base, a console that purchases more software>Darth Vader

Plus the internet belief that 360 users could get Vader eventually anyways.

Xeke

Banned
Nolan. said:

Because most of the consumers that want a 360 have one by now?

TwinsDad said:
Maybe the price drop rumor. I was set to finally get one. But I decided to play the cards to see if I can get the new MB version later at the same price.

If you are talking about rumored Sept. price drop, I think, Ars Technica article was posted on last day of NPD coverage month.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Nolan. said:

People buy a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player...and those that own both a 360 & PS3 will tend to choose a 360 version of a game because of friends on Xbox LIVE.

Pachael

A bit surprised by SCIV, adding up Japan and US figures # sold = 500K. And Namco ships 2 million - hope it doesn't completely overwhelm the warehouses ;p

Opiate

Kyoufu said:
PS3s are also Blu-Ray players, so I wouldn't assume that everyone who buys one buys a game with it.

This logic made sense a while ago, but based on what we're seeing this month (and to a less revealing extent, last month), it is no longer the case. The PS3 has a higher attach rate than the 360 for both of the games shared between the PS3/360 in the top 10 this month.

As with Wii owners, PS3 owners are buying games. Or the 360 slowed down. I'm not actually sure which it is.

Grecco said:
Why? Greater Installed base, a console that purchases more software>Darth Vader

Plus the internet belief that 360 users could get Vader eventually anyways.

maybe the 360 gamer believe in the the light side of the force?

Jammy

Banned
Some more observations...

-MGS4 isn't even in the top ten...
-Rock Band Wii has sold over 400,000 in a bit over a month.
-We need to see the top 20.

depward

Brimstone said:
People buy a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player...and those that own both a 360 & PS3 will tend to choose a 360 version of a game because of friends on Xbox LIVE.

You say that almost like there's evidence to back that claim up.

Opiate

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't get it.

People were just buying 360's to replace broken ones?

Yes, that is the joke. Now that the same 10 people aren't constantly buying replacements, sales have gone down.

That's the joke, anyway.

Frillen

Opiate said:
Yes, that is the joke. Now that the same 10 people aren't constantly buying replacements, sales have gone down.

That's the joke, anyway.

Wow. People have a bad sense of humor on this board then.

Wow.

I didn't expect this.

Not with the reported shortages of the Playstation 3 and the abundant supply + price drop of the Xbox 360.

This DOES NOT bode well for the upcoming pricedrop in September for Microsoft.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft has long exhausted the price point that they are at. It's time to drop down.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but didn't they drop the price by $50?

mr stroke

Brimstone said:

+1

This sounds stupid in theory, but I know multiple people who do this including myself. Every multiplayer game is purchased on 360.

Top Bottom